Embassies What Country Looks After There Citizens The Best

WilliamCave

I was to my embassy the other day and they seem to have changed a little, some what better service .

On a scale how would you rate your Embassy when u need assistance or advice or any experiences you might have had.

Just a curious thought today after my trip to the Canadian Embassy

Being an American I had some dealings around the area in the past 27/28 or so years in the US embassies within SE Asia here is a brief assessment.

US Jakarta below average

US Singapore below average to the point of being rude

US Thailand above average service for American citizens but when I lived in BKK 23 years ago it was common knowledge they had very little knowledge as to what was really going on in the Thailand, so much so, that they were buying their intelligence from the Australian embassy.

Being an American I had some dealings around the area in the past 27/28 or so years in the US embassies within SE Asia here is a brief assessment.

US Jakarta below average

US Singapore below average to the point of being rude

US Thailand above average service for American citizens but when I lived in BKK 23 years ago it was common knowledge they had very little knowledge as to what was really going on in the Thailand, so much so, that they were buying their intelligence from the Australian embassy.

I have heard the Austrailian embassy in Thailand is very good

• Like 1

I went to the Canadian embassy on Monday and I must say that the two staff that dealt with my application were two of the rudest people I've ever met.

Must of been the English man applying for Canadian citizenship that they didn't like. I think I might even make a complaint, that's how bad I thought it was.

WilliamCave, did you get served by a skinny French lady with dark hair?

I went to the Canadian embassy on Monday and I must say that the two staff that dealt with my application were two of the rudest people I've ever met.

Must of been the English man applying for Canadian citizenship that they didn't like. I think I might even make a complaint, that's how bad I thought it was.

No I went to the Thai side with my wife she was nice to deal with and gave me so good information. I know a few years ago it was like how dare you come and ask us questions and you want something done seemed to be there response and go look on the Internet was the only response I got before but this time they actuall gave me the forms and good info.

I do know they were really of no help before and they put up more road blocks to hinder every process that is the govt way in Canada Remember most govt employed are out of touch with the real world they are not responsible for there actions like the private sector. I come from Ottawa and most of my family works in govt I have never seen any govt employ fired before or dismissed.

The rude one was a Thai or Canadian?

In the Austrian embassy the rude one are all Thais, the Austrians are friendly.

I don't know about other Embassies/Consulates, but I don't know that the US Embassy's Don't come see us -- we'll come see you aka 'Consular Outreach Program' which visits the major cities twice each year for routine matters is offered by any other country.

• Like 1

The rude one was a Thai or Canadian?

In the Austrian embassy the rude one are all Thais, the Austrians are friendly.

The Thai lady was not great. The French lady was really unhelpful and down right rude. Like WilliamCave said above, it was like how dare you ask me how long your application will take, you'll get it when were ready to give it to you now f@#k off!!

I don't know about other Embassies/Consulates, but I don't know that the US Embassy's Don't come see us -- we'll come see you aka 'Consular Outreach Program' which visits the major cities twice each year for routine matters is offered by any other country.

That really is an excellent service. They go to Phuket, Khon Kaen, all sorts of remote locations where American expats are located. It saves a trip to Bangkok for many things. I don't know of any other country's Embassy that offers that?

That really is an excellent service. They go to Phuket, Khon Kaen, all sorts of remote locations where American expats are located. It saves a trip to Bangkok for many things. I don't know of any other country's Embassy that offers that?

No I never heard of that before that is a good service. I think one poster said it already try get them out of Patpong or go see them there sure u will find many embassy employes there .

• Like 1

Pretty good stuff this US Outreach activity.

Its a win win. Saves people travelling to BKK.

Embassy avoids being clogged up with too much nitty gritty.

Staff gets to see and expefrience a bit of LoS outside of Mango.

In Phuket, they always have it at the Le Meridien Beach resort, and they set up nice tables in the open air huge lobby, and it is very relaxed, cool and efficient. You can just show up in your beach wear. I used them once for I think extra passport pages.

My wife went to an outreach by the Philippine embassy, held in Phuket

My wife went to an outreach by the Philippine embassy, held in Phuket

Yeah, that makes sense, there are loads of Philippine musicians and entertainers playing in all the night venues.

Irish consulate in BKK have always been helpful and I only have dealt with the Thai staff. The answer the phones they call you when documents arrive and even call to the embassy in Kuala Lumpur to find out correct information. Of course getting things done is painfully slow as the documents are sent to Kuala Lumpur and then to Dublin and back again to Kuala Lumpur...well you get the picture.

• Like 1

Irish consulate in BKK have always been helpful and I only have dealt with the Thai staff. The answer the phones they call you when documents arrive and even call to the embassy in Kuala Lumpur to find out correct information. Of course getting things done is painfully slow as the documents are sent to Kuala Lumpur and then to Dublin and back again to Kuala Lumpur...well you get the picture.

Living the life luuxxxuury you are when dealing these embassies.

From my travels and dealings with British Embassies around the globe, they are substandard to say the least. You are seen as a nuisance and have a feeling you are disturbing their precious time.

From talking with colleagues and other travellers, the Americans seem to be treated well and I have heard very good reports about the Swedish Embassies in various locations.

As for here in Laos, we now finally have a British Embassy after having to deal with the pain in the a_se Australian Embassy here for decades.

I need to renew my passport soon so I will soon find out if they will be any different rolleyes.gif

Speaking of passport renewals, a few weeks ago, the US embassy did mine in exactly 2 weeks (10 business days). I did it before 9/11 and it took 20 minutes (back when the US embassies had the right to issue the passports themselves), I called ahead the day before, gave them my SSN, they checked it overnight and i was there the next day at 07:30. I was walking out before 8am passport in hand.

The Nigerian embassy was really friendly when I lived in Bangkok. But one local skank charged my wife and son 8000 baht for for a visa that would have cost 64 dollars, but then you will use a credit card and fill out a forms online, which was a bit tasking for my missus, as her english skills are dquite rudimentary.

They really work extra hard, considering all the calls they get starting with, "excuse me, we have got ourselves a criminal(non sexual crimes) here saying he is from your native land ...........".

I had the opportunity of knowing most of the staff there over the years, and nearly all of them did go the extra mile in helping Nigerians in Thailand.