Embassies What Country Looks After There Citizens The Best

WilliamCave

The US Embassy here in Bangkok has had 2 chances with me to solve problems and on both occasions did an outstanding job, going above and beyong the call of duty to be fair, helpful and solve the problems. Once was a legal issue and last was the death of a friend a few days ago where they handled everything with professionalism. Thank you again.

The Singapore Embassy is surprising very helpful and excellent with providing good advice wherever possible as well as reacting in a timely manner to problems.

They have great customer service and are very good at following up with any action.

Two Thumbs Up!

Embassy Bars....

Been a while but during my travels I have found a lot of Embassys have/had clubs with bars open to almost any visitor and usually only on Friday nights.

My last couple were to the Auz and US clubs in Hanoi about 15 years ago and certainly around West Africa a great alternative evening could be enjoyed.

Also seem to remember that the US clubs were usually run by their Marine Guards which keep them civilized.

Another good one/ones were the VFWs which again I have always found most friendly and welcoming...maybe times have simply ..changed..

Embassy Bars....

Been a while but during my travels I have found a lot of Embassys have/had clubs with bars open to almost any visitor and usually only on Friday nights.

My last couple were to the Auz and US clubs in Hanoi about 15 years ago and certainly around West Africa a great alternative evening could be enjoyed.

Also seem to remember that the US clubs were usually run by their Marine Guards which keep them civilized.

Another good one/ones were the VFWs which again I have always found most friendly and welcoming...maybe times have simply ..changed..

The American club in Jakarta is the deadest place, oh some women there for lunch and tea with the girls and at night you would think the guys were brits from the embassy back in the 1820's, a lot of stiff upper lip types but I have seen some of them in the US embassy.

Edited by Thailand Bound

From my travels and dealings with British Embassies around the globe, they are substandard to say the least. You are seen as a nuisance and have a feeling you are disturbing their precious time.

From talking with colleagues and other travellers, the Americans seem to be treated well and I have heard very good reports about the Swedish Embassies in various locations.

As for here in Laos, we now finally have a British Embassy after having to deal with the pain in the a_se Australian Embassy here for decades.

I need to renew my passport soon so I will soon find out if they will be any different rolleyes.gif

British Embassies don't renew passports anymore. You have to DHL your application to HK. If approved they forward to London where its issues and sent back to you by DHL. If your flush, you can fly back to London and renew it there - same day appointment if you want to pay the price.

I renewed 2 last year. Took the docs into the BKK embassy and asked them to check. Worth doing. They rearranged the order (credit card payment slip on top!) and clipped the photos in places which they said would be helpful to the processing staff. I found the BKK staff freindly and helpful especially the young half Thai half Brit girl. Took 4 weeks for my daughters new passport and 2 weeks for mine.

Overall though not a particularly active embassy unless you are one of the business breakfast club types.

I went to the Canadian embassy on Monday and I must say that the two staff that dealt with my application were two of the rudest people I've ever met.

Must of been the English man applying for Canadian citizenship that they didn't like. I think I might even make a complaint, that's how bad I thought it was.

WilliamCave, did you get served by a skinny French lady with dark hair?

The rude one was a Thai or Canadian?

In the Austrian embassy the rude one are all Thais, the Austrians are friendly.

I recently applied for citizenship for my son at the Australian embassy. I dealt with 2 Thai staff and they were extremely helpful. I spoke to the embassy before my arrival and was told it would take 10 days. When I lodged the documents I was told maybe 3 days. I had a phone call the next day within 24 hours that his certificate was ready.

I think that if you treat them with respect then they are helpfull.

Canada has the best embassy. It's a little tiny office stuck way out in the middle of nowhere and they leave you alone. By contrast, the American embassy is a great big fortress that looks like a penitentiary in the heart of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have gun turrets at each corner and armed guards. I'm not sure what it is they are afraid of.

• Like 1

Canada has the best embassy. It's a little tiny office stuck way out in the middle of nowhere and they leave you alone. By contrast, the American embassy is a great big fortress that looks like a penitentiary in the heart of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have gun turrets at each corner and armed guards. I'm not sure what it is they are afraid of.

They are afraid of an invasion from clandestine Canadians.

Being an American I had some dealings around the area in the past 27/28 or so years in the US embassies within SE Asia here is a brief assessment.

US Jakarta below average

US Singapore below average to the point of being rude

US Thailand above average service for American citizens but when I lived in BKK 23 years ago it was common knowledge they had very little knowledge as to what was really going on in the Thailand, so much so, that they were buying their intelligence from the Australian embassy.

Most Farangs still have very little knowledge along with most of the Thai people as to what really goes on in the LOS

Speaking of outreach programs, the Thai Embassy in Washington sends staffers to various Wats around the US and lets Thai citizens get a passport renewal without having to go to Washington

Bogota in the early 1970's was the Best US Embassy I've ever used, 20 years later it was the worst.

Only been in the Bangkok US Embassy a few times, didn't like it.

They are afraid of "Death".....ever watch the news??

• Like 1

Back in Vientienne, getting my original "O" visa, my daughter had less than the six months until expiration. Off to the American embassy and she got a new one year temporary passport in approximately 45 minutes. Hard to beat that service.

I've used the US embassy here several times, as well as the out reach program. It's a bit of a pain now that you have to schedule a meeting in advance, but once done, I was in and out quickly. Never had a problem over the past 12 years of use.

As an aussie I have only ever had dealing with the Aus embassy here. My first time was a real surprise as I was in Singapore (on my SIN number) and I received a phone call from the embassy here. Turns out that someone, probably the british thief who stole my wallet, must have felt bad and he mailed my wallet (sans money!) to the Aus embassy in BKK.

Now this is what I call outstanding service. A aussie lady looked up my passport details and she found that I had my son and his number listed as an emergency contact. She phoned him in Aus and he gave her my Singapore number. She asked me for my address in Singapore and then posted the wallet to me. You can't get much better than that smile.png

The British embassy ,as much use as a chocolate spoon ,all the British staff are time serving paper shufflers 3rd grade. i think after they have scraped the barrel they send whats left to work in Thailand.

I disagree 100%. The three times I have been there, I have been treated with friendly courtesy by all the Staff, except Security came across a little bit intimidatng, buy hey ho that's no bad thing, in my book. The fact that people are not of a high status does not preclude them from being friendly, efficient and helpful. Perhaps time you returned to the Surgery for a "friendship transplant"?

• Like 2

Australian consulate, fast efficient, courteous & no hassles.

Cmon Rooo, your being shy now. Its ok, Lets fill the others in what we really get us Aussies using our Australian citizen Embassy issued cards.

...free limo service from Bangkok airport

...50% off Embassy approved hotels worldwide inc express check in/out

...50% off Embassy approved restraunts worldwide.

...VIP priority service through customs at airports.

...Great view from VFS office windows.

...Free comprehensive travel insurance.

Bloody fantastic our Embassy, its great to be Aussie!

Anything else Ive forgotten you guys?smile.png

Edited by krisb

To be totally fair to the American embassy they have been the first to issue public statements warning firstly of the red shirt confrontation and imminent escalation(proved correct),then a terrorism security alert (which also subsequently proved correct involving the Iraqi bombers) then also offered outreach advice to US citizens during the red shirt confrontation downtown.

Edited by sydneyjed

From my travels and dealings with British Embassies around the globe, they are substandard to say the least. You are seen as a nuisance and have a feeling you are disturbing their precious time.

From talking with colleagues and other travellers, the Americans seem to be treated well and I have heard very good reports about the Swedish Embassies in various locations.

As for here in Laos, we now finally have a British Embassy after having to deal with the pain in the a_se Australian Embassy here for decades.

I need to renew my passport soon so I will soon find out if they will be any different rolleyes.gif

Have been using the British Embassy for a number of years and it used to be crowded with a long wait to get served. However, these days the service is much faster and I've always been treated politely. The last time I had cause to go there was the result of the Thai Consulate refusing to accept a Death Certificate as a legal document, as the word 'Copy' is on them, demanding that it be legalised. Obviously the Embassy cannot legalise a legal document so they quickly came up with a solution, changing by hand another document to suit, hoping the Thai Consulate would accept it. They did! The only complaint I have is about the level of their fees. The security seems tight but why not?

US Embassy Bangkok = above average from my experience.

They treated my wife shamefully when we applied for a holiday visa. The hoops to get a visa has made me decide NEVER to go there again. It took weeks to get an appointment time which then meant a wait of four hours!