The Cost Of Re-Hydration At Don Muang

PEP

It was just the other day that we arrived at Don Muang Domestic Terminal after a hot, tiring morning savouring the thrills of Bangkok Shopping. All ticketed, checked-in and then through security we wandered into the departure hall.

“Wifey-Who-Has-To-Be-Obeyed” needed a drink of water NOW! A little bit frayed around the edges myself, I directed her to the nearest food outlet which was K.F.*^. She deployed one of her many 100Baht banknotes in exchange of a small bottle of drinking water and some change. Moments after gulping some of the water she remarked; “I think I have been overcharged or received the wrong change”. I wandered over to the shop assistant and enquired; “How much does a bottle of water cost?” The answer; 35Baht, sir.” Goodness gracious me that is expensive even for an airport environment was my thought.

Enquiries continued:- Adjacent outlet, something to do with Donuts, advertised price - - 30Baht. Next one, Burger Something - - 30Baht.

Where we eventually sat down, fifty metres away, for R & R, opposite the 7/11 the exact same bottle of water in that outlet was just 14Baht.

Question? Who is "Having a Lend of Who?"

Peter,

When was the last time you bought a bottle of water at Sydney airport. $4.50 AUD for a small bottle and that was about 5 years ago. Couldnt believe it

$7 on last year when I visited Australia, I just found the pic, it is 500ML Mt Franklin Brand. I took a pic I was so shocked.

Peter,

When was the last time you bought a bottle of water at Sydney airport. $4.50 AUD for a small bottle and that was about 5 years ago. Couldnt believe it

$7 on last year when I visited Australia, I just found the pic, it is 500ML Mt Franklin Brand. I took a pic I was so shocked.

As Graham Kennedy once said " Faaaaaaark Faaaaark"

• Like 2

This is a thread over a restaurant at an airport charging a 15 - 20 Baht premium over the supermarket price for a bottle of water?

Amazing.

Well it nearly came to blows in the motoring forum over tyre pressures.....laugh.png

It was just the other day that we arrived at Don Muang Domestic Terminal after a hot, tiring morning savouring the thrills of Bangkok Shopping. All ticketed, checked-in and then through security we wandered into the departure hall.

“Wifey-Who-Has-To-Be-Obeyed” needed a drink of water NOW! A little bit frayed around the edges myself, I directed her to the nearest food outlet which was K.F.*^. She deployed one of her many 100Baht banknotes in exchange of a small bottle of drinking water and some change. Moments after gulping some of the water she remarked; “I think I have been overcharged or received the wrong change”. I wandered over to the shop assistant and enquired; “How much does a bottle of water cost?” The answer; 35Baht, sir.” Goodness gracious me that is expensive even for an airport environment was my thought.

Enquiries continued:- Adjacent outlet, something to do with Donuts, advertised price - - 30Baht. Next one, Burger Something - - 30Baht.

Where we eventually sat down, fifty metres away, for R & R, opposite the 7/11 the exact same bottle of water in that outlet was just 14Baht.

Question? Who is "Having a Lend of Who?"

If you were flying AA, you are lucky she got thirsty in the terminal. Last year on a return AA flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, I was charged 90 baht for a 350 ml bottle of water. An of course, if you want water on an AA flight, you have to buy theirs. Can't bring any aboard with you. And they wonder why I prefer trains.

David

This is nothing new. Airports know they have a captive audience which allows for the financial raping of those who didn't think ahead. I bring at least two bottles of water with me and fill them as necessary from the water faucet. I am not a cheap charlie, but I DETEST this type of price gouging for water!

• Like 1

Gentlemen /My mate Sezzo / and Ladies,

My intent in the original post was to point out the relevant difference in prices of a 350Ml bottle of water within 50 metres at Airside Don Muang. I am not a scrouge but resent the blatent overpricing.

I well know the prices at other countries so did not compare with them nor would I compare the cost of services, electricity or local foodstufs.

If you were flying AA, you are lucky she got thirsty in the terminal. Last year on a return AA flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, I was charged 90 baht for a 350 ml bottle of water.

90 baht for a 350ml bottle of water - are you sure? This sounds like an old whine exaggerated over time.

I use Air Asia frequently - and I thought it was 30 baht for a 200ml bottle. Never seen a bigger one. I'm quite certain it is on their inflight menu at 30 baht for a bottle of water.

An of course, if you want water on an AA flight, you have to buy theirs.

I always bring my own water etc onto their flights. Never been told I have to buy theirs. Not once.

Either have an empty water bottle with you after you clear security, and then fill it up at one of the water coolers - or buy it from a shop airside.

I eat my own food and take my own drinks on Air Asia for most flights (occasionally I'll buy on board if I forgot to plan ahead, but this is rare)

• Like 2

I always bring my own water etc onto their flights. Never been told I have to buy theirs. Not once

Tsk tsk give yourself a slap on the wrist you naughty boy giggle.gif

From the Airasia website FAQ's.

Can I bring my own food onboard?

We do not allow outside food or beverages onboard.

• Like 1

If you were flying AA, you are lucky she got thirsty in the terminal. Last year on a return AA flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, I was charged 90 baht for a 350 ml bottle of water.

90 baht for a 350ml bottle of water - are you sure? This sounds like an old whine exaggerated over time.

I use Air Asia frequently - and I thought it was 30 baht for a 200ml bottle. Never seen a bigger one. I'm quite certain it is on their inflight menu at 30 baht for a bottle of water.

You are both incorrect 30 baht for 330ml.

Here's the menu. I hate to break some hearts, but the costs are quite reasonable

http://www.airasia.c...light-menu.page

Seavision was overly conservative by 130ml and genericnic inflated the price 3X

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Here's the menu. I hate to break some hearts, but the costs are quite reasonable

Interesting. I actually was charged 90 baht. Maybe the flight attendants are starting to do tea money too. biggrin.png

Happy to see the change. Staying well hydrated, especially on long flights really is a health issue.

David

• Like 1

On JetStar the "flying matrasses" are on a hefty commission's. It encourages them to push it crap over priced food. The same goes for check in with excess baggage, that's why they nail you when you are 1kg over. it is not called ScabStar for nothing !!!!

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Interesting. I actually was charged 90 baht. Maybe the flight attendants are starting to do tea money too. biggrin.png

Happy to see the change. Staying well hydrated, especially on long flights really is a health issue.

David

what change? has always been 30 baht.

• Like 1