The Cost Of Re-Hydration At Don Muang

PEP

Burger King had a meal deal on double BK Angus cheeseburger for about 400 Baht. Bargain!

If you like that kind of thing....the coffee shop just past it on the left is decent at 40/50 Baht a cup. Dunno how much they charge for water but I think I got a free glass with the coffee.

T'was early morning though and my memory is somewhat hazy. biggrin.png

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

If you were flying AA, you are lucky she got thirsty in the terminal. Last year on a return AA flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, I was charged 90 baht for a 350 ml bottle of water.

90 baht for a 350ml bottle of water - are you sure? This sounds like an old whine exaggerated over time.

I use Air Asia frequently - and I thought it was 30 baht for a 200ml bottle. Never seen a bigger one. I'm quite certain it is on their inflight menu at 30 baht for a bottle of water.

You are both incorrect 30 baht for 330ml.

Here's the menu. I hate to break some hearts, but the costs are quite reasonable

http://www.airasia.c...light-menu.page

Seavision was overly conservative by 130ml and genericnic inflated the price 3X

I agree, I remember when they flew from Swamoy the food on the flight was cheaper than at the terminal.

• 3 months later...

Burger King had a meal deal on double BK Angus cheeseburger for about 400 Baht. Bargain!

If you like that kind of thing....the coffee shop just past it on the left is decent at 40/50 Baht a cup. Dunno how much they charge for water but I think I got a free glass with the coffee.

T'was early morning though and my memory is somewhat hazy. biggrin.png

Best part of £9.00 for a hamburger and chips. sad.png

It was just the other day that we arrived at Don Muang Domestic Terminal after a hot, tiring morning savouring the thrills of Bangkok Shopping. All ticketed, checked-in and then through security we wandered into the departure hall.

“Wifey-Who-Has-To-Be-Obeyed” needed a drink of water NOW! A little bit frayed around the edges myself, I directed her to the nearest food outlet which was K.F.*^. She deployed one of her many 100Baht banknotes in exchange of a small bottle of drinking water and some change. Moments after gulping some of the water she remarked; “I think I have been overcharged or received the wrong change”. I wandered over to the shop assistant and enquired; “How much does a bottle of water cost?” The answer; 35Baht, sir.” Goodness gracious me that is expensive even for an airport environment was my thought.

Enquiries continued:- Adjacent outlet, something to do with Donuts, advertised price - - 30Baht. Next one, Burger Something - - 30Baht.

Where we eventually sat down, fifty metres away, for R & R, opposite the 7/11 the exact same bottle of water in that outlet was just 14Baht.

Question? Who is "Having a Lend of Who?"

If you were flying AA, you are lucky she got thirsty in the terminal. Last year on a return AA flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, I was charged 90 baht for a 350 ml bottle of water. An of course, if you want water on an AA flight, you have to buy theirs. Can't bring any aboard with you. And they wonder why I prefer trains.

David

Why would anyone fly AA any where? by the time you pay all of the extras it cost more than the seat on another airline

Cheap Charlie tip. They won't stop you for bringing an empty 1.5 liter bottle through security. Then there are usually drinking fountains around the gates. That will get most of us through the gate wait and inattentive flight attendants in the cheap seats.

Amazed that they outlaw fluids through security, then gouge for a basic necessity (and health issue) on the other side.

For those griping about how much the airlines charge on the plane, figure out what it costs to fly a pound of water across the globe. Last time I had excess baggage, they charged me about $10 per pound. And they didn't give me a thing.

It was just the other day that we arrived at Don Muang Domestic Terminal after a hot, tiring morning savouring the thrills of Bangkok Shopping. All ticketed, checked-in and then through security we wandered into the departure hall.

“Wifey-Who-Has-To-Be-Obeyed” needed a drink of water NOW! A little bit frayed around the edges myself, I directed her to the nearest food outlet which was K.F.*^. She deployed one of her many 100Baht banknotes in exchange of a small bottle of drinking water and some change. Moments after gulping some of the water she remarked; “I think I have been overcharged or received the wrong change”. I wandered over to the shop assistant and enquired; “How much does a bottle of water cost?” The answer; 35Baht, sir.” Goodness gracious me that is expensive even for an airport environment was my thought.

Enquiries continued:- Adjacent outlet, something to do with Donuts, advertised price - - 30Baht. Next one, Burger Something - - 30Baht.

Where we eventually sat down, fifty metres away, for R & R, opposite the 7/11 the exact same bottle of water in that outlet was just 14Baht.

If you were flying AA, you are lucky she got thirsty in the terminal. Last year on a return AA flight from BKK to Chiang Mai, I was charged 90 baht for a 350 ml bottle of water. An of course, if you want water on an AA flight, you have to buy theirs. Can't bring any aboard with you. And they wonder why I prefer trains.

David

Why would anyone fly AA any where? by the time you pay all of the extras it cost more than the seat on another airline

The only extras I pay for are water. I generally never do an AA flight longer than 4 hours. I only do carry on and I never pay for the stupid insurance they offer. If you do it that way, you can actually get some good deals though you usually have to book far in advance. Last year I got BKK to Bali return for under US$150.00. I did do the booking about 5 months in advance but, being retired, I have a lot of flexibility.

David

Try buying anything at the 7-11 in Mor Chit bus station.

It goes like this.

Govt. builds infrastructure transport hub.

Ministers "sell" various commercial concessions (including the right to operate the toilets!!) at aforementioned hub to companies for huge sums, millions of baht.

Selliing at normal retail prices would not break even.

Retailers have to sell at inflated prices to make a profit.

So, in summary, of that 35 Baht for the bottle of water, 20 Baht or so went directly to various eaters of the corruption pie.

• 1 month later...

I've never found a cheap airport!

Have you?

"Cheap Airport" is an oxymoron. They are all set up to gouge the max out of everybody.

I live on a Greek island, and at the airport here they charge €4.90 for an iced coffee. At my local kafeneon, it's €1.20.

• Like 1

Try buying anything at the 7-11 in Mor Chit bus station.

It goes like this.

Govt. builds infrastructure transport hub.

Ministers "sell" various commercial concessions (including the right to operate the toilets!!) at aforementioned hub to companies for huge sums, millions of baht.

Selliing at normal retail prices would not break even.

Retailers have to sell at inflated prices to make a profit.

So, in summary, of that 35 Baht for the bottle of water, 20 Baht or so went directly to various eaters of the corruption pie.

"corruption pie" = The most common pie that is available in plenty every where on this earth, if you care to look.

Airports are a major industry, like shopping malls the price retailers charge are directly in proportion to the rents they pay.

I would suspect that at Swampy the rents are many times more in the International departure area, with their captive customer base, than they are elsewhere in the airport, with prices reflected accordingly

• 5 months later...

David

Rubbish.

• Like 1

The amazing--and wonderful--thing about DM (and one of the reasons I sorely missed it as an airport before the budget carriers went back there, post-Swampy) is that you have the OPTION of a freaking 7-11!! How many airports in the world can you say that about?

The other great thing about DM is the fact that you walk over the footbridge and you're in an actual Bangkok neighborhood. Again, with airports worldwide moving farther and farther from cities, that's something to really be appreciated. When they finally extend rapid transit out there it'll be perfect...

• Like 1

Water was confiscated at Heathrow prior to getting airside for a flight to Bkk, causing me to purchase 2x bottles airside (GBP 2.50!) which were confiscated before boarding the plane. My transfer in Dubai involved a 1000m walk & just one hour from landing until take off. Try that without fluids in high summer when travelling with an 8 year old!

"Security Threat" my arrse!

Edited by evadgib

Water was confiscated at Heathrow prior to getting airside for a flight to Bkk, causing me to purchase 2x bottles airside (GBP 2.50!) which were confiscated before boarding the plane. My transfer in Dubai involved a 1000m walk & just one hour from landing until take off. Try that without fluids in high summer when travelling with an 8 year old!

"Security Threat" my arrse!

That's why I never travel with an 8-year old. biggrin.png

David

• Like 1

Don Muang used to be such a joy do many years ago. It about as expensive as a shopping mall, if that. It did go to crap when they added shops to every possible square meter. I'm convinced they did not need a new airport, just mire shitty shops.

Loved that old employee canteen too. Man, I had all the tricks down at that airport. B5 train into the city, B10 longtail to ksr. Exit plane and be in my guesthouse other side of town in much less than two hours. No traffic, zero. Back in the day when bkk had 2am traffic jams lasting hours.

But hey, Swampy has Airport Link. It's something.