Why Don't Thai People Like Black Dogs?

ee dam, not see dam! ee dam is a Thai insult pointed towards the women that have very dark skin which would indicate that they are a lower class and work in the fields. ee dam roughly translated means : "Ms. Blacky". If it were "ai dam", it would mean "Mr. Blacky".

• Like 1

It's not they don't like.. they worried won't last long specially if have cambodian folks around biggrin.png

(my black dog last year disappeared after few months)

Anyway I prefer white dogs here 'cause you can better spot ticks and fleas on it

Yes, I've noticed that black dogs seem to pick up more fleas's and ticks.. ???

Actually, I think it will be about the same. I doubt that ticks and fleas are so discerning as to select the color of the dog they wish to feast on. Obviously, dark colored insects would be easier to spot against a light colored background and, hence, easier to remove.

ee dam, not see dam! ee dam is a Thai insult pointed towards the women that have very dark skin which would indicate that they are a lower class and work in the fields. ee dam roughly translated means : "Ms. Blacky". If it were "ai dam", it would mean "Mr. Blacky".

Thank you for explaining!!

Glegolo

I knew those phii would get into it somehow.

I thought it might be more complicated than some people wished us to think.

If 'ee dam' was the answer, surely my Thai vet would have known; she graduated from Chula, and charming though she is, can't be that innocent! I can understand people not wanting a black dog because it's more tasty.... but that is Chinese, and would not apply in Khmer villages in backward Isan. Phii.... yes, Isan is obsessed with phii; my partner claims he sees them in our garden, but he doesn't object to black dogs. The fact that ticks and fleas are easier to find on white dogs is true; finding them on a curly-haired toy poodle is virtually impossible; I have to rely on Frontline and things like that.

Will somebody please give a good home to my black puppies?!

Edited by isanbirder

• 2 weeks later...

It's just not Thais that don't like black dogs or cats, it seems to be worldwide. Just google Black Dog Syndrome!

Amazing... but I can well believe it! But it's BIG Black Dog Syndrome, and mine are LITTLE black dogs.... anybody give them a home?

I decided that my puppies would be available for adoption from yesterday. The local nurse had already booked the remaining white pup, so I was left with four black ones, one male and three bitches. In the late afternoon, several village children arrived (always in threes) at my house (having got permission from their parents to have a puppy). They braved the GSX, who is large, and about as fierce as a stuffed toy, and three little ones, which, having no bite, make up for it in noise. And off the puppies went.... all of them!

All the children are members of my partner's extended family, so I shall be able to monitor (somewhat) how the pups get on. Not perhaps ideal.... but this is not an ideal world (especially for black puppies).

And now I'm left with the one we decided to keep, Chocky, who is (you've guessed it) chocolate-coloured. She was the smallest of the lot, but seems to be doing well.