Why Don't Thai People Like Black Dogs?

My friendly local vet in Buriram told me today that her mother had five black Labrador puppies which she couldn't sell 'because Thai people don't like black dogs'. Why not? (I didn't ask the price).

I should declare a personal interest. I have three small black dogs, with seven three-week-old puppies, four of which are also black. So I'm going to be looking for homes for these.

Chinese people traditionally like black dogs for culinary purposes; they say they taste better. Plenty of Thai people eat dogs (I regret to say); don't they share the Chinese belief?

I have always preferred white dogs. Maybe I was Thai in a previous life. Maybe I was a black dog in a previous life. Yeah, that's the ticket. Don't Thais have a cultural "thing" about the color black, association with death and all that? In Thailand there is no "new black" because black was never in!

Edited by Jingthing

you could just go & ask some actual Thai people why they don't like black dogs... whistling.gif

If everybody was boringly pragmatic as you suggest, half of ThaiVisa would be gone at a stroke!

Being also boringly practical, I'm not going to ask the Thai people round me, am I, when I have four black puppies to find homes for? Probably with some of those same Thai people.

ee dum ee mah

It is one of the worst insults in Thailand,

Black Dog ee is similar to one of the more popular swear words in English

'Black dog' is not about dogs ...... it's a reference to poor male field workers with dark skin.

Not sure about the 'ee' either as that is the insulting title for females, 'ai' is the insult title for men

you could just go & ask some actual Thai people why they don't like black dogs... whistling.gif

If everybody was boringly pragmatic as you suggest, half of ThaiVisa would be gone at a stroke!

Being also boringly practical, I'm not going to ask the Thai people round me, am I, when I have four black puppies to find homes for? Probably with some of those same Thai people.

Never occurred to you to go down the road a bit.. perhaps the next village.. or into town? Once you've been told the reasons straight from the horses mouth so to speak, then a better thread would've been a critique of their reasoning behind such a decision.

Rather than asking a bunch of guessing farang an easily solvable question at source... coffee1.gif

Pointless. Silly makmak. I gave the girlfriend the money to have the coat of one of the poodles trimmed before yesterday. She said she couldn't do, cutting heair on wednesdays and thursdays bring bad luck. I didn't inquire further, but waited until today.

Never occurred to you to go down the road a bit.. perhaps the next village.. or into town? Once you've been told the reasons straight from the horses mouth so to speak, then a better thread would've been a critique of their reasoning behind such a decision.

Rather than asking a bunch of guessing farang an easily solvable question at source... coffee1.gif

Dear me! No, I'm not going to argue with you, Hans Vilder. Just to say this, you'll never make it on ThaiVisa if you take that attitude!

Dear me! No, I'm not going to argue with you, Hans Vilder. Just to say this, you'll never make it on ThaiVisa if you take that attitude!

Really Hans. Where's the fun in that methodology? Always go to TV for expert rational advice first! Then and ONLY then, go and get actual first hand knowledge. Much more interesting for US that way. Duh.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Really Hans. Where's the fun in that methodology? Always go to TV for expert rational advice first! Then and ONLY then, go and get actual first hand knowledge. Much more interesting for US that way. Duh.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

biggrin.png You're right.. i apologise to the OP for shining a beam on gumption & common sense. Let us hope these never blight the birth of any future tedious or inane threads... wink.png

Pointless. Silly makmak. I gave the girlfriend the money to have the coat of one of the poodles trimmed before yesterday. She said she couldn't do, cutting heair on wednesdays and thursdays bring bad luck. I didn't inquire further, but waited until today.

Wednesdays - No major journeys started, or projects started. They won't marry, nor hold funerals.

Isaanbirder

bullet_black.png

Posted 2013-02-07 16:29:20

My friendly local vet in Buriram told me today that her mother had five black Labrador puppies which she couldn't sell 'because Thai people don't like black dogs'. Why not? (I didn't ask the price).

I should declare a personal interest. I have three small black dogs, with seven three-week-old puppies, four of which are also black. So I'm going to be looking for homes for these.

Chinese people traditionally like black dogs for culinary purposes; they say they taste better. Plenty of Thai people eat dogs (I regret to say); don't they share the Chinese belief?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Chaiyaphum and can only talk about it what regards Chaiyaphum than....Nobody here can say anything about what your vet claims is true.... I think personally that it might be a regional "thing" against black dogs, Maybe in in Buriram only. Because it doesn´t apply here at all..... We have black dogs all over the place and nobody of the 4 people I did ask, have any ideas about this...

Maybe this has a connection with the black cat "thing" we have home, who knows.... But I must also mention to you that your "observation" that plenty of thais eat dogs... maybe is a way off here.... There are some thai eating dogs, nothing wrong in that... But it is really NOT many mind you!!!

Glegolo

... Don't Thais have a cultural "thing" about the color black, association with death and all that?...

Yes and no, in that order - Thais do have a "cultural "thing" about the colour black" but its nothing to do with any association with death: white is the colour associated with death in Chinese and Buddhist tradition - black has only had any such association due to recent Western influence.

Maybe this has a connection with the black cat "thing" we have home, who knows.... But I must also mention to you that your "observation" that plenty of thais eat dogs... maybe is a way off here.... There are some thai eating dogs, nothing wrong in that... But it is really NOT many mind you!!!

Glegolo

Where I live is as much Khmer as Thai, so I may be looking in the wrong place. The original observation did come from a Thai, though.

As regards eating dogs, plenty (my word) and many(yours) are very vague terms. In Chiangmai, where I used to live, it was rare for people to eat dogs, though it was rumoured that dogmeat was available in various places. In Sakhon Nakhon, and other areas heavily influenced by Vietnam, dog-eating is common. Khmers too, though they very often have pet dogs, are quite happy to eat dogmeat. Like other people living in villages in this area, I have several times seen the dog-buyer's pickup going past my house (though not recently).

In my village there are no stray dogs. Guess where they went. One of my dogs was eaten by a neighbour (human, supposedly).

Edited by isanbirder

... Don't Thais have a cultural "thing" about the color black, association with death and all that?...

Yes and no, in that order - Thais do have a "cultural "thing" about the colour black" but its nothing to do with any association with death: white is the colour associated with death in Chinese and Buddhist tradition - black has only had any such association due to recent Western influence.

The "thing" it is connected to if any, when it comes to black, is phee.... ghosts....

glegolo

Glegolo

Where I live is as much Khmer as Thai, so I may be looking in the wrong place. The original observation did come from a Thai, though.

As regards eating dogs, plenty (my word) and many(yours) are very vague terms. In Chiangmai, where I used to live, it was rare for people to eat dogs, though it was rumoured that dogmeat was available in various places. In Sakhon Nakhon, and other areas heavily influenced by Vietnam, dog-eating is common. Khmers too, though they very often have pet dogs, are quite happy to eat dogmeat. Like other people living in villages in this area, I have several times seen the dog-buyer's pickup going past my house (though not recently).

In my village there are no stray dogs. Guess where they went. One of my dogs was eaten by a neighbour (human, supposedly).

i wrote "some" thais eat dogs, I didn´t wrote "many".. But no big problem.... I think you are right of course with the geographical stuff with khmeer//Cambodja etc. I have also heard about Sakhon Nakhon and their eating. But I can inform you that the police there has stopped the market with dogmeat since some time....

I live in Chaiyaphum as I mentioned, and here is nothing like that at all. In fact Sakhon Nakhon is the ONLY place in Isaan where they have been eaten dogs to my knowledge at least!! But I must say that some people are strange, what you say, that people can have dogs as pets and on top of that have dogs for dinner..... Life is tough for some animals...

BR Glegolo

In certain parts of asia they like to eat gold coloured dogs because its seen as lucky-i have a miniture alsation and if they eat him i will eat every single cat in the village !

hahahah this must be todays post!!!!! I love it....

Thanks

glegolo

At my temple in Lopburi, we have two black dogs, and about 30 brown or mixed color dogs. The black dogs are always treated badly. If not for me, they would never get any scraps. I feed them seperately from the other dogs and the other monks thinks I'm crazy. I now have the fattest two dogs in the temple. tongue.png I have come to believe that the not liking black dogs and/or cats thing is, the Phii thingy.. They actually believe this color black is associated with ghosts. I do know that when one of the black dogs is sitting on my front porch at night and a monk walks by and the dog growls, they almost shit their pants.. cheesy.gif

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 1

It's not they don't like.. they worried won't last long specially if have cambodian folks around biggrin.png

(my black dog last year disappeared after few months)

Anyway I prefer white dogs here 'cause you can better spot ticks and fleas on it

Edited by maxtingtong

It's not they don't like.. they worried won't last long specially if have cambodian folks around biggrin.png

(my black dog last year disappeared after few months)

Anyway I prefer white dogs here 'cause you can better spot ticks and fleas on it

Yes, I've noticed that black dogs seem to pick up more fleas's and ticks.. ???

I wish you hadn't have posted that ^^^. I have to drive from Trat to Chonburi on Wednesday. My (rust-colored) dog was to have his hair cut that day or Thursday and I planned to have my hair cut on Thursday.

Seems like I'm well-<deleted> now...sick.gif