A Project That Looked Doomed From The Start: Thai Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL

A project that looked doomed from the start

The Nation

30199547-01_big.jpg

A contract to build police stations and living quarters appears suspect; can the public have any hope the investigation will root out the guilty?

BANGKOK: -- The delay in the construction of 396 police stations and 163 apartment blocks for police officers across the country reveals deep-rooted corruption at every level - national, regional and local.

The investigation launched into the construction contract for police stations will need to assess the involvement of politicians, officials at the local administration level and the police themselves.

newsjs

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is investigating corruption charges against former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who was in charge of the police when the construction contract was awarded to PCC Construction and Development Co in March 2011 to build 396 station offices and 163 apartment blocks. PCC was the sole contractor.

After two years, construction has barely begun. The abandoned sites are shameful testimony to the alleged graft.

Since he oversaw police operations, Suthep cannot deny responsibility for awarding this massive project to a company that clearly lacks the capability to complete the work.

Suthep and his Democrat Party cannot simply brush aside the allegations. He must fully cooperate with the investigation, to find and bring to justice the people who have caused such damage to the country. The then-police chief cannot deny responsibility either, because approval of a project of this scale would not be possible without his blessing.

Those in the current administration must bear their share of any blame as well for not detecting the problem sooner. The Cabinet extended the contract three times due to problems arising during the initial construction, such as the 2011 flood crisis and delays in the delivery of building supplies.

PCC and its local sub-contractors were given extremely lenient treatment until the issue became headline news.

The award of such a big contract also involves senior officials in the police department and local administrative bodies because it involves sub-contractors who apparently have connections with powerful people at the local administrative level.

Exactly how PCC managed to win the contract must be investigated. The entire project would cost more than Bt6 billion. It's been reported that PCC received around Bt877 million in advance. If the company has failed to complete work on schedule, it must be held accountable. The identities of the management and executives of the company should be made public and their backgrounds should be investigated.

So far it seems that only 5 per cent the project has been completed, even though the contract is set to expire next month. With so little work completed, it remains to be seen what the government will do with the structures built so far. Will it proceed with the construction or abandon the sites altogether?

The damage caused by the scandal is not limited to the delay and wasted construction cost, but also related expenses, such as the fees for temporary police offices and apartment blocks leased from private landlords.

A Pheu Thai Party politician made this case public. Let's hope the investigation into the alleged corruption will be carried out in earnest and honestly, to tell the public the truth.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-08

PCC Construction and Development Co in March 2011 to build 396 station offices and 163 apartment blocks. PCC was the sole contractor.

Let me get this straight since March 2011 not one govt official has said a peep about the progress of these projects? Is that how govt projects are run in this country?

They just hand you 10% upfront contract money and they disappear until the project is finished?. No govt inspectors, no auditing accountants, nobody sticking a schedule in your face, in weekly meetings?

Sounds wonderful, but I really doubt thats how things are done. This thing really stinks.

• Like 2

Can't find much to disagree with there.

The main problem I see is that these things occur due to unethical people involved at high level and the fact that this just seems the normal way to do things here. Is any investigation going to be conducted using the same system which caused the problem in the first place?

• Like 1

PCC Construction and Development Co in March 2011 to build 396 station offices and 163 apartment blocks. PCC was the sole contractor.

Let me get this straight since March 2011 not one govt official has said a peep about the progress of these projects? Is that how govt projects are run in this country?

They just hand you 10% upfront contract money and they disappear until the project is finished?. No govt inspectors, no auditing accountants, nobody sticking a schedule in your face, in weekly meetings?

Sounds wonderful, but I really doubt thats how things are done. This thing really stinks.

I suppose they never heard of MS Project Planner.

And then from another thread

According to Suthep, the two projects had won Cabinet approval during the Samak Sundaravej-led government, and when the Abhisit Vejjajiva government came to power, the National Police Office (NPO) offered a new proposal saying the project would require Bt11 billion less if construction guidelines were adjusted. Hence, he said, the Abhisit-led Cabinet approved the proposal.

• Like 1

Can't find much to disagree with there.

The main problem I see is that these things occur due to unethical people involved at high level and the fact that this just seems the normal way to do things here. Is any investigation going to be conducted using the same system which caused the problem in the first place?

The funny thing is the PTP Govt is pointing the finger at the opposition. The PTP led Govt should have picked up the ball, on this and any other ongoing Govt project. I guess in fact they did, somewhat, according to the OP, The Cabinet extended the contract three times due to problems arising during the initial construction, such as the 2011 flood crisis and delays in the delivery of building supplies.

There is also this:

Chuwit also released the projects' terms of reference, which was prepared by a committee chaired by Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen, who is the ruling-Pheu Thai Party's candidate for the Bangkok governor election.

I want heads to roll!! for heaven sakes, why don't the cops bust some heads. Go to the contractors,coordinators etc. follow that money trail and clean up shop!

Wish they could get their moneys worth and clear out the greedy bastards too.

I, for one, can't see what the problem is? It's only money and the government has lots of it! If they need more they just print it, right?? It's obvious that the 800 million Baht was merely a down payment of the "graft" with the other 20% to come later...I suppose the principles of PCC were so busy ripping off other contracts that they let the time run away on them, I see it as poor time management! IMMHO bah.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

I want heads to roll!! for heaven sakes, why don't the cops bust some heads. Go to the contractors,coordinators etc. follow that money trail and clean up shop!

the cops are a little bit adverse to busting there own heads. As the article says corruption at all levels.

So PCC Development and construction company is based in Chang Mai.

Piboon Udomsithikul is registered as president of PCC and his relative, Wisanu Wisetsing, is an executive of the company, Mr Thanin said. He strongly believes there is an influential figure behind them who is actually pulling the strings but is not listed as a shareholder of the company.

The Yingluck Shinawatra cabinet subsequently extended the contract three times, but the company made little progress and has now abandoned work on all of the sites.

Edited by waza

Now I know why that shell of a building for a new police between Sahatsakhan and Kalsin has been sitting there for 2 years without any further construction. Shame on all Thai politicians. Sickening view of the lanscape, no self pride, just graft and corruption.

• Like 1

First you have to fire the cops because they are ALL corrupt.

And how do you award a contract to build 396 police stations across the region to just ONE company. You would want to spread the project out to 10 or 20 constructions firms. If only one firm is building 396 police stations and a 163 apartments they can't possibly manage them all at the same time. You could guarantee the job to take a long time and to be done even more poorly then the Thai's already build.

DSI should summon Pongsapat: Dems

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) should summon the Pheu Thai candidate for the Bangkok governor election, Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen, plus former police chief Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong and current chief Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew for information about the police station and flats building project, Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said yesterday.

Chavanond said the Pheu Thai government approved the PCC contract extension three times, each for 60 days, so they couldn't collect Bt1.026 billion in fines from PCC. With the Royal Thai Police unable to give 30 per cent of precinct construction areas to PCC, the firm used that as excuse to get an extension and avoid a fine. Terms of reference signed in 2009 by Pongsapat also stated that the police could give a 15-per-cent advance payment to the contractor, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-10

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) should summon the Pheu Thai candidate for the Bangkok governor election, Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen, plus former police chief Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong and current chief Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew for information about the police station and flats building project, Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said yesterday.

Chavanond said the Pheu Thai government approved the PCC contract extension three times, each for 60 days, so they couldn't collect Bt1.026 billion in fines from PCC. With the Royal Thai Police unable to give 30 per cent of precinct construction areas to PCC, the firm used that as excuse to get an extension and avoid a fine. Terms of reference signed in 2009 by Pongsapat also stated that the police could give a 15-per-cent advance payment to the contractor, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-10

About as likely as "Iceberg sighted off Samui"

And how do you award a contract to build 396 police stations across the region to just ONE company. You would want to spread the project out to 10 or 20 constructions firms. If only one firm is building 396 police stations and a 163 apartments they can't possibly manage them all at the same time. You could guarantee the job to take a long time and to be done even more poorly then the Thai's already build.

But that wouldn't be fair, some regions might geta larger clip of the funding than another. The only way to insure a completely transparent bribe would be to negotiate the contract on a single national scale.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The Nation on Sunday

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-10

About as likely as "Iceberg sighted off Samui"

Will be interesting to hear his explanation if/when this gets brought up on his campaign trail. I am sure his staff started damage control contingencies the day this story first made headlines.

It would appear PT are right up to their goolies in this one with contracts arranged and signed before the Dems came to power and also extended by PT.

Still there should have been some oversight of the project in the Dems term in office.

I wonder who was charged with that job?

A PM and Dep cant look after everything personally.

• Like 1

It would appear PT are right up to their goolies in this one with contracts arranged and signed before the Dems came to power and also extended by PT.

Still there should have been some oversight of the project in the Dems term in office.

Seems like a cock up all round here. Did the Dems only have one deputy PM? If so that could have been the problem. I think someone said the current government has 5.

Seems like a cock up all round here. Did the Dems only have one deputy PM? If so that could have been the problem. I think someone said the current government has 5.

Personaly I would have thought a police project like this would have been overseen by the minister of police or is there a department (minestery) of public works?

Dont know how mant Dep PM's the Dems had but I do know they didnt need nearly so many jobs for the boys.

Possibly some would say they didnt need them as they had a more experienced and competent politition for a PM.

Also consider what other problems the Dems had to deal with, world economic problems, red riots, Cambodian incursions etc.

Any PM and Deps cant handle everything themselves.

Well the Dems were a little bit busy with all the fires in downtown Bangkok....

• Like 1