Thai Children Prone To Obesity, High Cholesterol

webfact

Yes, It's called Child Abuse.

Parents in this country should care more about their kids health

but the norm is Parents encouraging kids to overeat.

Because the fatter the kid the more money they are seen to have (มีเงิน)

Yes the "face" thing again.

But sometimes it's a cost issue, because

this is cheaper

http://www.thaifoodm.../meats/pork/686

than this in supermarkets

http://www.wisegeek....alad-greens.htm

How can Thai parents care about their kids health when they keep handing their underage children the motorbike keys?
  • Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to limit the amount of crap that my 7 year old eats. It's a battle though, her Mother actually thinks that she is being good to her child by bringing home loads of sweet fatty cakes, milkshakes and cookies.

At least I've managed to replace the sweet condensed milk on sweet white bread with honey on wholemeal. A small step, but at least in the right direction.

Would it be too much to ask Farmhouse to come up with a low sugar bread?

What non alcohlic low calorie drinks apart from Coke which I don't like, can you buy in Thailand? Orange, Lemonade? None that I can see.

water. Can't really ever get too much of it in this weather.

Bought one of those honey and lemon teas the other day. It had fructose AND sugar listed separately. To say it was sweet, i am surprised it didn't come delivered with an insulin dose.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I try to limit the amount of crap that my 7 year old eats. It's a battle though, her Mother actually thinks that she is being good to her child by bringing home loads of sweet fatty cakes, milkshakes and cookies.

At least I've managed to replace the sweet condensed milk on sweet white bread with honey on wholemeal. A small step, but at least in the right direction.

What non alcohlic low calorie drinks apart from Coke which I don't like, can you buy in Thailand? Orange, Lemonade? None that I can see.

There are some lemonades that are quite ok as long as you dilute them a lot. There are also some sugar free green teas around, and if push comes to shove there are lemonade powders you can import from the US with no calories. I personally make a pot of green tea and either drink it hot or cold. Yes i drink some lemmonade (the expensive stuff around 160bt a bottle) highly diluted.

“Thai children prefer sweet, fat and salty food."

And what should be the problem with salty?

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. Cast afloat seamen know that drinking sea water is very much a NoNo if they don't want to suffer from a form of insanity and then die.

What Thailand needs is a big brawny Scottish Highlander with a big red beard in every village telling the kiddies to eat up all their breakfast porridge or he'll strike up a tune or two on his bagpipes. Nothing better for you than getting your oats two or three times per week.

Yes, I'm Scottish, and I have oats for breakfast every day, and not with sugar.

I think you mean how healthy food WAS. Thanks to the US of A it isn't any more!!!!

I am Dutch, so you don't think i'm defending the USA but every country has its bad foods... fish and chips.. so greasy its a killer. Dutch food also has its bad foods. Some people seem to think all the US has to offer is Mc Donalds and Burgerking, those are just fast-food chains every country has those.

You can still prepare your own food I haven't seen an US soldier putting a gun to your head.

Your in control, nobody else.

I know, and do have decent food prepared for me - that's why my cholesterol shot down from 260 to 150 in 7 weeks and I stopped feeling like death warmed up every day plus a whole host of other health improvements were gained including my blood sugar level plus blood pressure returning to better than normal and my non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is a thing of the past now!!!

I also reversed my mates type 2 diabetes in less than 2 months - so I am in total control of my health now and educating others!!

I saw very little educating and a lot of blaming in your post. Educating would be something like, don't eat too much of processed carbs (rice included) in one sitting, combine it with a vegetable and some protein if possible. Make sure you get your healthy fats. Stay away from sugar coated things and deep fried stuff. Alcohol is a killer both for your weight as for your liver. (depending on dose of course).

That is educating, saying its all the fault of the US is blaming. Like i said last time i checked fish and chips deep fried in oil that is re used isnt the best for your health either and that is a typical English thing, now take the loads of snacks that are here and Thai made not that healthy either.

Fact is in general healthy food does not appeal or taste as good as the fast food that is promoted. Other fact is you wont loose your weight automatically you will have to change your diet habits be it lower carb (helps for people who are insulin sensitive) or just cutting out drinking (many an expats could benefit from that instead of complaining about the Thais)

An awfully lot of blame pointing here on this thread. some of it deserved some not and some weeeeeeeel just mind bogeling

"reversed my mates type 2 diabetes in less than 2 months"the next thing you know some people will be claiming they have discovered the fountain of youth.

Conveniently being over looked is some people are Genetically different. Just designed to be large.

I see claims of this and that but I don't understand it. Some say rice is a bad thing yet theThais have eaten it for centaries why is it all of a sudden causing people to get fat. I don't understand how a fat child is a sign of wealth. What about being a fat adult. Are they expected to lose the fat when they grow up.

It is easy to point at other people who have different habits and beliefs than you do and say that is the reason for there fatness. In many cases it is probably true to a point. Westernization brings laziness. Hence the need for specially times to exercise where in the course of are parents and there parents lives the exercise would have been part of their every day routine.

What I am saying is it is easy to generalize but the fact is when it comes to eating we are all different some predisposed to being over weight some just to lazy to do what it takes to exercise and some just plain gluttons. Myself I fit in to each of those categories a little bit. It is easy to say this much carbs is no good for you but then we look at a large population in the world who for centuries that food has been a staple.

In closing this rant I will point out that it is easy to say some thing but can be very difficult to do. Take exercise a lot of the people that do it also enjoy it for them it can even be a bit of a social thing. If they did not like it would they still do it. Some yes but I think not for most of them.

An awfully lot of blame pointing here on this thread. some of it deserved some not and some weeeeeeeel just mind bogeling

"reversed my mates type 2 diabetes in less than 2 months"the next thing you know some people will be claiming they have discovered the fountain of youth.

Conveniently being over looked is some people are Genetically different. Just designed to be large.

I see claims of this and that but I don't understand it. Some say rice is a bad thing yet theThais have eaten it for centaries why is it all of a sudden causing people to get fat. I don't understand how a fat child is a sign of wealth. What about being a fat adult. Are they expected to lose the fat when they grow up.

It is easy to point at other people who have different habits and beliefs than you do and say that is the reason for there fatness. In many cases it is probably true to a point. Westernization brings laziness. Hence the need for specially times to exercise where in the course of are parents and there parents lives the exercise would have been part of their every day routine.

What I am saying is it is easy to generalize but the fact is when it comes to eating we are all different some predisposed to being over weight some just to lazy to do what it takes to exercise and some just plain gluttons. Myself I fit in to each of those categories a little bit. It is easy to say this much carbs is no good for you but then we look at a large population in the world who for centuries that food has been a staple.

In closing this rant I will point out that it is easy to say some thing but can be very difficult to do. Take exercise a lot of the people that do it also enjoy it for them it can even be a bit of a social thing. If they did not like it would they still do it. Some yes but I think not for most of them.

Rice is bad, and Thais have been eating it for years but before they added more vegetables to it. The vegetables you get now at the average roadside stall is pitiful. Also Thais moved more and not all rice was white. (white rice is worst from many points of view).

Yes it is possible to get diabetic under control with the right diet, there is no denying that many have done it. Curing is a different thing, because once you go of the right diet your back where you started. So its not a cure.

No everyone can be lean its just that some have to work a bit harder to get there.

I say carbs are now a problem as we don't burn as much as before, in the old days a lot of things had to be done by hand.

There is a variation in MBR between people of up to 20% but most are in the middle, but that just means that those on the low scale have it a little harder to loose the fat. Its not impossible, if you check yourself on your scales and you see its going up you know your doing something wrong (unless your a child growing up or building muscles).

People don't need to be fat, they just choose to be. It can be ignorance or laziness but in the end its a choice. I do agree that with current food the decks are stacked against you but with a lot of willpower you can go a long way. But without the knowledge of what is good and bad you won't get anywere.

In a way we should not be happy that being fat is accepted so much, this removes the incentive to do something about it. I don't mean we should bully fat people or something like that or look down on them. But saying its not a problem or health risk is also not good.

There are some lemonades that are quite ok as long as you dilute them a lot. There are also some sugar free green teas around, and if push comes to shove there are lemonade powders you can import from the US with no calories. I personally make a pot of green tea and either drink it hot or cold. Yes i drink some lemmonade (the expensive stuff around 160bt a bottle) highly diluted.

I don't like green tea, although I've never been overweight, I cut down a lot in sugar and bread over the past few weeks and have lost a full 3 kilos.

In reply to hellodolly:

Easy, I told him what to eat, what not to eat, to do exercise and pointed out a number of herbs spices and plant supplements to take and of particular importance not to take anything his doctor prescribes for him - not exactly rocket science really but it works spectacularly.

He started doing the exercise and had got around to taking only a small number of those supplements that I suggested he try and his blood sugar level went from 11 down to 5.5 (probably in less than the 2 months).

His cholesterol and blood pressure returned to normal from being elevated and slightly elevated respectively in the process.

As I stated in my previous e-mail: my visit to the hospital to get a check up was a wake up call as although I was feeling weak, fatigued and basically feeling like s*** warmed up EVERY day (and not understanding why), when the doctor told me a catalogue of things that were wrong with it really shook me up, especially the non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

The really good thing is that the doctor told me: you now know what is wrong with you now so get on the internet and go fix yourself NB: no medication whatsoever - the rest is history and I am perfectly healthy now looking forward to the day ahead rather than waking up aching and in pain dreading it!!!!

It has literally transformed my life from being totally miserable to being back to my old self (only feeling 30 years younger)!!!

Rice is bad, and Thais have been eating it for years but before they added more vegetables to it. The vegetables you get now at the average roadside stall is pitiful. Also Thais moved more and not all rice was white. (white rice is worst from many points of view).

Yes it is possible to get diabetic under control with the right diet, there is no denying that many have done it. Curing is a different thing, because once you go of the right diet your back where you started. So its not a cure.

No everyone can be lean its just that some have to work a bit harder to get there.

I say carbs are now a problem as we don't burn as much as before, in the old days a lot of things had to be done by hand.

There is a variation in MBR between people of up to 20% but most are in the middle, but that just means that those on the low scale have it a little harder to loose the fat. Its not impossible, if you check yourself on your scales and you see its going up you know your doing something wrong (unless your a child growing up or building muscles).

People don't need to be fat, they just choose to be. It can be ignorance or laziness but in the end its a choice. I do agree that with current food the decks are stacked against you but with a lot of willpower you can go a long way. But without the knowledge of what is good and bad you won't get anywere.

In a way we should not be happy that being fat is accepted so much, this removes the incentive to do something about it. I don't mean we should bully fat people or something like that or look down on them. But saying its not a problem or health risk is also not good.

Losing the weight is not the be all and end all. I maybe lost just a couple of kilo's and still managed to drop my total cholesterol from being too high at 260 to 150 in 6 or 7 weeks (my LDL) or low density lipids, the 'bad' one, halved from 180 to 90 and my triglycerides, although already below what is regarded as normal at 135 versus 150 being acceptable, went down to 95. My blood sugar levels were just below pre-diabeticlevels and they ended up being smack in the middle of the normal range. My liver enzymes (ALT and AST) were both elevated - now normal. My fatty liver disease disappeared and I stopped feeling dreadful in the morning and throughout the whole day. My blood pressure was 135/80 with a pulse of 80 and now it is 110/60 with a pulse of 55/60.......I could go on!!!

It wasn't difficult to do this but the results have transformed my life!!!

I think you mean how healthy food WAS. Thanks to the US of A it isn't any more!!!!

I am Dutch, so you don't think i'm defending the USA but every country has its bad foods... fish and chips.. so greasy its a killer. Dutch food also has its bad foods. Some people seem to think all the US has to offer is Mc Donalds and Burgerking, those are just fast-food chains every country has those.

You can still prepare your own food I haven't seen an US soldier putting a gun to your head.

Your in control, nobody else.

I know, and do have decent food prepared for me - that's why my cholesterol shot down from 260 to 150 in 7 weeks and I stopped feeling like death warmed up every day plus a whole host of other health improvements were gained including my blood sugar level plus blood pressure returning to better than normal and my non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is a thing of the past now!!!

I also reversed my mates type 2 diabetes in less than 2 months - so I am in total control of my health now and educating others!!

I saw very little educating and a lot of blaming in your post. Educating would be something like, don't eat too much of processed carbs (rice included) in one sitting, combine it with a vegetable and some protein if possible. Make sure you get your healthy fats. Stay away from sugar coated things and deep fried stuff. Alcohol is a killer both for your weight as for your liver. (depending on dose of course).

That is educating, saying its all the fault of the US is blaming. Like i said last time i checked fish and chips deep fried in oil that is re used isnt the best for your health either and that is a typical English thing, now take the loads of snacks that are here and Thai made not that healthy either.

Fact is in general healthy food does not appeal or taste as good as the fast food that is promoted. Other fact is you wont loose your weight automatically you will have to change your diet habits be it lower carb (helps for people who are insulin sensitive) or just cutting out drinking (many an expats could benefit from that instead of complaining about the Thais)

I agree with quite a lot of this approach although it is a bit over simplified in some respects and not thorough enough in others.

Here in Chiang Mai we get threads blaming it all on the fast food franchises. Even though per capita we have very few of them and they are in the tourist areas and western shopping malls.

Don't worry where they are, look at who is taking up the majority of seats. I was in Airport Plaza yesterday and entered by McDonalds - full of Thais (Asians). Top floor Pizza Hut where the cinemas are - full of Thai's (Asians). If you think Thai's don't make up the majority of customers in the malls, then you obviously don't get out very far and are just assuming.

You really should get out more there are many areas where there are very few farongs. Also NO fast food outlets. Are you sure the Asian's you witnessed in the Mall were not from the buss loads of Chinese tourists we are experiencing here in Chiang Mai.

Would you say that the number of them was equal to 50% of the Asian population here in Chiang Mai or closer to .01%. Not really a significant amount of them. Were they all overweight?

You obviously don't get out very far.

Too be honest where i live there are not many foreigners but there are Mc Donalds, they are always full of Thais not Chinese. This is not a tourist area and just my observation. But on the other hand you see Thais waiting in line too for their deep fried sausage on a stick (not an US thing). People will eat fast food no matter where it is from because it often has a better taste. I could now try to argue that my bowl of salad is as nice as a good pizza I don't because if they were both as healthy id go for the pizza (calories aside). But i don't go for that pizza or fried chicken wings or whatever. Its called self control not every need needs to be satisfied.

However most Thais have absolutely no idea about what is healthy and what is not (same goes for a lot of foreigners too). Then you got the fact that Thailand has an eating culture, it all ads up and as long as there is no good education about this Thailand will continue to suffer. But even where there is good education people will still go for bad things it can't be stopped and banning food is not a good idea because it would also impact the people who are healthy and once in a while indulge in something bad.

What part of Chiang Mai do you live in? I can not think of one McDonald's that is in the area you mention. Here in Chiang Mai at a guess there is 1 McDonald's for every 25,000 people.

I think you do not live in Chiang Mai but live elsewhere. What is the amount of people each McDonald's would service?

I only mentioned them because there are so many people willing to blame them for all the weight problems and over look many of the points that have been brought up here on this thread. Out of 66,000,000 people the fast food franchises are just a pimple on a Moles ass.

In reply to hellodolly:

Easy, I told him what to eat, what not to eat, to do exercise and pointed out a number of herbs spices and plant supplements to take and of particular importance not to take anything his doctor prescribes for him - not exactly rocket science really but it works spectacularly.

He started doing the exercise and had got around to taking only a small number of those supplements that I suggested he try and his blood sugar level went from 11 down to 5.5 (probably in less than the 2 months).

His cholesterol and blood pressure returned to normal from being elevated and slightly elevated respectively in the process.

As I stated in my previous e-mail: my visit to the hospital to get a check up was a wake up call as although I was feeling weak, fatigued and basically feeling like s*** warmed up EVERY day (and not understanding why), when the doctor told me a catalogue of things that were wrong with it really shook me up, especially the non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

The really good thing is that the doctor told me: you now know what is wrong with you now so get on the internet and go fix yourself NB: no medication whatsoever - the rest is history and I am perfectly healthy now looking forward to the day ahead rather than waking up aching and in pain dreading it!!!!

It has literally transformed my life from being totally miserable to being back to my old self (only feeling 30 years younger)!!!

I still do not see where you have reversed the effects of class 2 diabetes. You have managed to hold them in check but they are still there. I take a pill after each meal and my blood sugar level is OK. Much simpler than a complicated diet.

In reply to hellodolly:

I still do not see where you have reversed the effects of class 2 diabetes. You have managed to hold them in check but they are still there. I take a pill after each meal and my blood sugar level is OK. Much simpler than a complicated diet.

Much easier indeed and your choice, but it would be healthier to change your diet, there are side effects to your drug. Anyway your choice your life none of my business.

• Like 1

I have to admit one of the surprising things about Thailand is the realization that most of what is eaten here everyday by most people is total crap.

I would agree. I'm always amused when people rave about how "healthy" thai food is smile.png

Not sure what the USA has to do with street vendors selling deep fried food and deep fried snacks...

About obesity, manual labor isn't what it used to be and most people don't work off their calorie intake. Even healthy thai food -what ever that is- will put on pounds if the person eats more is needed to maintain their body weight :)

You really should get out more there are many areas where there are very few farongs. Also NO fast food outlets. Are you sure the Asian's you witnessed in the Mall were not from the buss loads of Chinese tourists we are experiencing here in Chiang Mai.

Would you say that the number of them was equal to 50% of the Asian population here in Chiang Mai or closer to .01%. Not really a significant amount of them. Were they all overweight?

Too be honest where i live there are not many foreigners but there are Mc Donalds, they are always full of Thais not Chinese. This is not a tourist area and just my observation. But on the other hand you see Thais waiting in line too for their deep fried sausage on a stick (not an US thing). People will eat fast food no matter where it is from because it often has a better taste. I could now try to argue that my bowl of salad is as nice as a good pizza I don't because if they were both as healthy id go for the pizza (calories aside). But i don't go for that pizza or fried chicken wings or whatever. Its called self control not every need needs to be satisfied.

However most Thais have absolutely no idea about what is healthy and what is not (same goes for a lot of foreigners too). Then you got the fact that Thailand has an eating culture, it all ads up and as long as there is no good education about this Thailand will continue to suffer. But even where there is good education people will still go for bad things it can't be stopped and banning food is not a good idea because it would also impact the people who are healthy and once in a while indulge in something bad.

What part of Chiang Mai do you live in? I can not think of one McDonald's that is in the area you mention. Here in Chiang Mai at a guess there is 1 McDonald's for every 25,000 people.

I think you do not live in Chiang Mai but live elsewhere. What is the amount of people each McDonald's would service?

I only mentioned them because there are so many people willing to blame them for all the weight problems and over look many of the points that have been brought up here on this thread. Out of 66,000,000 people the fast food franchises are just a pimple on a Moles ass.

I live on the outskirts of BKK here there are no foreigners and the Mc Donalds is packed with Thais. Anyway as i said before there is enough Thai bad fast food around to overshadow the effect of the Mc Donalds. Like i said before I don't blame the USA fast food the Thais do more as their fair share in selling crap.

• Like 1

For the most part I agree with you but there are exceptions. I am one. Yes I am over weight. Science is now tending towards the idea that a little bit is a good thing. Moderation called for there.

What I am referring to is people like me who are big boned a scale will say you are fat but in reality you're right on. Where as a person who is not big boned would be over weight. The point is a set of scales is a poor indicator. It is just a measurement of weight. I say this because I am five foot eight and my ideal weight is about 210 pounds at 185 I looked gaunt. Genetics.wai2.gif one other point that has been overlooked here is weather at 70 I should have the same weight as at 20. I don't know.

Talking of willpower does it work on diarrhea?biggrin.png I know but I just had to throw it in. Truth is some people are completely utterly clueless as to the drive for some thing that is not good for us or to eat to much of what is good for us can be like.sad.png

Edited by hellodolly

Losing the weight is not the be all and end all. I maybe lost just a couple of kilo's and still managed to drop my total cholesterol from being too high at 260 to 150 in 6 or 7 weeks (my LDL) or low density lipids, the 'bad' one, halved from 180 to 90 and my triglycerides, although already below what is regarded as normal at 135 versus 150 being acceptable, went down to 95. My blood sugar levels were just below pre-diabeticlevels and they ended up being smack in the middle of the normal range. My liver enzymes (ALT and AST) were both elevated - now normal. My fatty liver disease disappeared and I stopped feeling dreadful in the morning and throughout the whole day. My blood pressure was 135/80 with a pulse of 80 and now it is 110/60 with a pulse of 55/60.......I could go on!!!

If you are still fat there is a good chance you got a lot of visceral fat and that kills you no matter how good your values are. Anyway great work that you reversed your health.Everyone should take charge of their own health.

For the most part I agree with you but there are exceptions. I am one. Yes I am over weight. Science is now tending towards the idea that a little bit is a good thing. Moderation called for there.

What I am referring to is people like me who are big boned a scale will say you are fat but in reality you're right on. Where as a person who is not big boned would be over weight. The point is a set of scales is a poor indicator. It is just a measurement of weight. I say this because I am five foot eight and my ideal weight is about 210 pounds at 185 I looked gaunt. Genetics.wai2.gif one other point that has been overlooked here is weather at 70 I should have the same weight as at 20. I don't know.

Talking of willpower does it work on diarrhea?biggrin.png I know but I just had to throw it in. Truth is some people are completely utterly clueless as to the drive for some thing that is not good for us or to eat to much of what is good for us can be like.sad.png

get your liver functioning properly and maintain it and you are 80% of the way to being healthy - take milkthistle!!!

If you are still fat there is a good chance you got a lot of visceral fat and that kills you no matter how good your values are. Anyway great work that you reversed your health.Everyone should take charge of their own health.

Yes!!! visceral fat is the real danger to your health as it impairs the performance of your vital organs. Subcutaneous fat is not as dangerous as visceral fat but being obese is largely a consequence of this type of fat so they (scientists) think that your waist size is a better guide than your weight or BMI as an indicator for your health.

I am sure that there are many people out there that would like to take control of their own health - but don't know how to unfortunately!!

I did a massive amount of research and found out all of the answers - one of the most crucial things I established is DON'T listen to doctors as they generally haven't got a clue about this subject and are indoctrinated by big pharma to dish out lots of expensive, useless and toxic pills that do more harm than good!!! Why do this when everything can be fixed naturally - oh yes, I know!! the pharmaceutical companies don't make money out of these as they cannot patent natural remedies, only artificial chemicals that kill you and attempt to deal with the symptoms instead of addressing the root cause!!!

I've been fighting bad eating habits out my way for years.Coke,lollies and kanom for breakfast,noodles for tea,kids crying if they don't get their fix,parents give in.You know the reply i get,"they like it".Since when does a 2 year old tell an adult what to do?No fruit or veggies.At least i stopped the coke.How come Thai kids and adults teeth are so good?

I've been fighting bad eating habits out my way for years.Coke,lollies and kanom for breakfast,noodles for tea,kids crying if they don't get their fix,parents give in.You know the reply i get,"they like it".Since when does a 2 year old tell an adult what to do?No fruit or veggies.At least i stopped the coke.How come Thai kids and adults teeth are so good?

Because they are probably passable dentures.

It is there diet, sticky rice with meat, sticky rice with oiley omlette and sticky rice with barbeque chicken, and it is not just child portions they just keep shoving food in there mouth.

I see it with my wn child the moyher inlaw just keeps feeding him no matter what I say and you do not win an arguement with the wife when it has anything to do with the family.

Ma Ma knows best even though she can hardly write her own name.

• Like 1

I live on the outskirts of BKK here there are no foreigners and the Mc Donalds is packed with Thais. Anyway as i said before there is enough Thai bad fast food around to overshadow the effect of the Mc Donalds. Like i said before I don't blame the USA fast food the Thais do more as their fair share in selling crap.

Ah comon Rob, blaming the USA is one of the TV favorite pass times :) Ha!

You put your finger on it- most fast food restaurants are filled to the brim with locals. Its the same in China, Philippines and other Asian nations I've visited :)

They need to change the idea and outlook of Thai Families then. To them, a fat child means they are wealthy and they are shoving these sweet foods down their throats.

Its not only sweet foods but simple carbohydrates such as white rice. Vegetable oils and (refined) palm oil are just as much to blame as well as soda's/cola's, especially the diet versions!!!

Yes,to much carbos are a problem.I am healthy in ever way,so imagine my surprise to be told in two to three years i could be diabetic.Too much rice and spaggetti the last 30 years.Try and tell a thai wife,no rice with your meal.

Good you are TRYING to do your little bit to help. But sorry -why not TRY telling your wife, seriously and firmly that she is being cruel to your child. You seem to be in the modern trend of condoning-like to keep the peace ???? If your child suffers as a result of being shovelled down LOADS of fatty cakes ,you will have to suffer the guilt. only trying to help thoughwink.png

And be in a constant argument with not only your family but whole village.You need eyes in the back of your head mate.Thai's know best!!!!
  • Like 1

She said a black strip on a child’s neck is a sign of being at risk to several ailments including diabetes, heart and coronary artery diseases.

It was all going so well, until this bit of hokum.

What does it mean? Does anyone know? I have never heard of this "black strip" before. Sounds like B.S.

But yes, no joke, a huge percentage of Thai kids are alarmingly obese. I see it every day. 25 years ago I never saw that in Thailand.

Good you are TRYING to do your little bit to help. But sorry -why not TRY telling your wife, seriously and firmly that she is being cruel to your child. You seem to be in the modern trend of condoning-like to keep the peace ???? If your child suffers as a result of being shovelled down LOADS of fatty cakes ,you will have to suffer the guilt. only trying to help thoughwink.png

And be in a constant argument with not only your family but whole village.You need eyes in the back of your head mate.Thai's know best!!!!

Agreed, it's not just as simple as telling people not to do something. My husband is not too bad but still can always find a reason for something - a donut for a treat, some chips and Thai fried chicken for a party, coke because he's having some too and it's not fair to not drink I in front of the kids. I guess the negative side of the sociable party loving lifestyle here is that there are a lot of opportunities for party food/treats/junk food/quick unhealthy food as we're out and can't get fresh food (Luckily this doesnt actually happen that often as I usually prepare about 70-80% of my son's food but not everyone is able to do that depending on work and the family set up - for many people the opportunities to eat crap are always there)

But it's even harder to control the wider family -we are lucky that they do not have a massive effect but if i said to not I've my son something it would be completely ignored, not because they are evil but because providing food is such an intrinsic part of Thai culture and it pains them greatly not to be able to do it. Unfortunately as more fast food becomes available and people get wealthier and the food they are providing out of love is causing more problems than ever before.

It's not just American/western junk food, there is plenty of Thai and Asian fried and sugary food around.

Edited by swlondonmum
  • Like 1

They need to change the idea and outlook of Thai Families then. To them, a fat child means they are wealthy and they are shoving these sweet foods down their throats.

Its not only sweet foods but simple carbohydrates such as white rice. Vegetable oils and (refined) palm oil are just as much to blame as well as soda's/cola's, especially the diet versions!!!

You are right in that white carbs, orange juice etc are not optimal foods either but I think to resolve the problem of obesity and poor diet and get most 'ordinary people'on board you need to make the changes fairly easy to make. Cutting out white carbs is going to cause most people to give up as it's just too radical. Better to at least encourage portion control, a mix of protein and veg with the white carbs and to go easy on the deep fryer. And yes fruit juice contains a lot of natural sugar and is not great for your teeth but it's still slightly better than coke and is less sweet so will reduce the sweet tooth a bit. And let's not forget that most people like sugar added to their OJ here so just drinking OJ without sugar would be an improvement. I just can't see most people going further than that and to be honest why would they as the above steps would provide massive health gains. I wouldn't give up pasta, rice or pizza any more than I'd give up red wine but portion control is the key!

Yes,to much carbos are a problem.I am healthy in ever way,so imagine my surprise to be told in two to three years i could be diabetic.Too much rice and spaggetti the last 30 years.Try and tell a thai wife,no rice with your meal.

I can sympathise with you.

What you can do is buy and eat brown rice instead of white (refined rice) as this is slower digested and doesn't create the sugar spike that white rice does.

Because it is less easily broken down in the body ie: less digestible, it has to be cooked for 25 minutes rather than the 10/12 minutes that white (nutrient deficient) pure carbohydrate rice takes!!!

Another useful thing you can do is stop cooking your food in palm/vegetable or whatever oil you use and cook in organic virgin coconut oil as this is just so healthy for you compared to the poison that the other oils are - it is pretty expensive, but what price can you put on health?

I buy my Paradise coconut oil from TOPS supermarket or Big C. With 1 litre costing about 475 baht.

Why don't you look up the health benefits of different oils on the internet (and research brown rice into the bargain).