Changing Sprocket And Chain Set Up

charlie42

Hi Guys.

I have a 2012 honda wave 110i.

Is a great little bike and im very happy with it.

Im thinking about change the sprocket and chain set up.

bigger front and smaller back sprocket.

I see a lot of thais do this on there bikes.

I understand the basic's, gives it a higher top speed.

This is not what im looking for, if i wanted that i'd buy a real bike.

The reason is so i can have a higher cruseing speed.

Im constantly doing this, in forth gear thinking im in third and going for the next gear.

I don't drive it hard, but a little more crusing speed would be nice.

before any of the clever guys start, yes it does have gear indicator light on the clock.

would this affect my warranty ?

Charlie

I have a honda wave z model, A few years ago i had the same feeling ...engine seemed too busy when cruising and thinking i was still in 3rd gear, When it was time for a sprocket and chain change i just bought a kit which had 3 teeth less on the rear sprocket,

It brought the rpm down at cruising speed just fine and also improved mpg, The only disadvantage i found was if you have a tart on the back with more than the average 45kg going up over bridges and so might mean changing down to 3rd.

thanks guys,

I think its a change of set up on the card soon.

and TTF fell off the chair with the fat chick coment.cheesy.gif

This only seens to happen to me when i have had a few to many.wink.png

but what can i say, fat chicks need lovin toobiggrin.png .

Regards

Charlie

hahaha @ Charlie....yup, fat chicks cool too - no different, just a whole lot more to love biggrin.png

For your gearing problem mate, the obvious answer is to get yourself a bigger bike if you want to cruise faster. For sure play around with the gearing if it makes you feel better, but on a bike of that size, you're unlikely to see any performance improvement without a trade off. You + fat chick + decent carry out = slow/sluggish acceleration.or lack of power & constant gear changes..... It wont necessarily interfere with your warranty either unless you blow it up or something as they unlikely to spot an extra tooth here or there. If you must play with it, as suggested above, try going up one tooth on the g/box sprocket first and see how that works. If you feel you still need more, try one tooth down on the rear. Any more than that and you're going to have to start taking links out of the chain. thumbsup.gif

There seems to be a difference as to how the different wave models are geared.

The new 125i is geared so heavy that I barely get up a very slight incline in 4th.

It is however very frugal on the petrol and cruises happily at a relatively low rpm at 85 km/h.

Top speed at 100 - 105 km/h indicated is nowhere near red line speed (125 km/h).

Big difference compared to the cvt auto bikes like a click where top speed is limited by redlining the engine or hitting the rev limiter (pcx)...

Also drove a short stretch on a wave 110, and power felt the same as on my 125, but wanted to shift to 5th at 65 km/h :D

Trying to hit 90 felt like the engine was screaming to stop hurting it!

So obviously geared to keep decent aceleration with as trade of topspeed / economy...

I have a honda wave z model, A few years ago i had the same feeling ...engine seemed too busy when cruising and thinking i was still in 3rd gear, When it was time for a sprocket and chain change i just bought a kit which had 3 teeth less on the rear sprocket,

It brought the rpm down at cruising speed just fine and also improved mpg, The only disadvantage i found was if you have a tart on the back with more than the average 45kg going up over bridges and so might mean changing down to 3rd.

I luv a good tart. With whipped cream or ice-cream. But I've never had to carry one over 45kg's! blink.pngblink.png

post-63954-0-77119000-1360498170_thumb.p

PS: My favourite is raspberry

Edited by BSJ

My Mrs is 52kg, should I tell her that unless she slims it up I will have to buy a new bike !!

That should be more motivation than she needs to hit the gym...

Back on topic... My 2005 Wave is probably due a new chain and sprocket set, never done it since I bought the bike, 4 years ago.

Isn't best to take it to a Honda dealer or would a local mech be just as capable of doing the change ?

Also, what is an approx price for a replacement kit ? From Honda or do you buy from independent shop ?

Thanks

My Mrs is 52kg, should I tell her that unless she slims it up I will have to buy a new bike !!

That should be more motivation than she needs to hit the gym...

Back on topic... My 2005 Wave is probably due a new chain and sprocket set, never done it since I bought the bike, 4 years ago.

Isn't best to take it to a Honda dealer or would a local mech be just as capable of doing the change ?

Also, what is an approx price for a replacement kit ? From Honda or do you buy from independent shop ?

Thanks

It's easy to do it yourself, but if you don't want to, any local 'mechanic' could do it, although I'd be inclined to oversee proceedings to make sure that they actually do it. It's not unheard of for them to deliberately skip changing the gearbox sprocket and still insist that they've renewed it. Buy the best quality chain and sprocket set you can afford.

Its not about power for me guy's. I don't have to be first away at the lights.

It's just to stop the engine screaming at me, keep rpm down.

my brother taught me to drive a Suzuki TS 185 at 10 years old.

I bought my first bike at 13, old honda cd 175, try keep that up in a mucky field on road tyres.

I have had many big bikes over the years, and cant help driving them hard when i hear the engine roar.

I have used my 9 lives up, too many near death experiences and some friends killed.

this is just a little run around.

With the low power of the 125 Wave I wouldn't do more than one tooth bigger on front, OR 2 teeth less on rear (not both, have some pity on that little motor). This will lower revs slightly at the same speed as before, but the trade-off is a loss of acceleration (although it is hard to notice when the best 0-100 kmh time on a Wave is about 3 days).

It's advisable to change sprockets and chain as a set to get longer life on both. There are different quality sprockets and chains around. A corner mechanic will probably stick on some cheap crap unless you specify. I don't have enough knowledge of different brands here to suggest one, just avoid stuff with China written on it, and pay an extra few baht.

If the Wave has done lots of miles, maybe replace the rubber sprocket cushes at the same time for a smoother ride.

ok guys

So to day i changet the set up.

I bought a 15 tooth front which the same as on the bike.

Also downsized to a 34 tooth on the rear and new chain.

well, got what i was looking for, not screaming at me,higher crusing speed.

thanks for all your help guys.

Regards.

Charlie.

• Like 1

ok guys

So to day i changet the set up.

I bought a 15 tooth front which the same as on the bike.

Also downsized to a 34 tooth on the rear and new chain.

well, got what i was looking for, not screaming at me,higher crusing speed.

thanks for all your help guys.

Regards.

Charlie.

thumbsup.gif