What To Do In Phitsanulok

sunnyhor

Sorry guys, I could not find a Phitsanulok thread that's why I post it in CMai forum.

I never been to Phitsanulok before, can anyone share what is the main attraction, what to do, where to stay . I am thinking of driving there for a 2 days break. Any good recommendation besides Temples?

TIA

I lived there for 6 months, 3 years ago. Small city that really has no main attraction. there is a large popular temple in the center of the city about 300 metres from Topland hotel. Which by the way has a very overpriced 5 or 6 level shopping mall attached to it. Other than that not much to do or see.

• Like 1

I lived there for 6 months, 3 years ago. Small city that really has no main attraction. there is a large popular temple in the center of the city about 300 metres from Topland hotel. Which by the way has a very overpriced 5 or 6 level shopping mall attached to it. Other than that not much to do or see.

Thank you mate. I think I change my mind then.

Does anyone remember The Flying Vegetable Restaurant / show.....is it still there?

Too bad you don't like temples OP, must say that I'm sick of them too. However, Wat Pra Sri Mahathat contains the Phra Buddha Chinnarat (original), which is said to be the most beautiful and I was impressed many years ago. I wasn't impressed with all the stalls outside and all the sellers, which no doubt has got much worse. Also, if you haven't seen Sukothai or Sri Sachanalai, I think you have missed something and P'lok is a good base with local buses going there. It's not my favourite place on earth, but it's not the worst........but you need to be wanting to see temples, which of course you don't.....so give it a miss.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Stay at Topland hotel. Stay in the room watching farang tv until it goes dark. Head to the night zone at the river it has thai style bar after bar and a good time can be had. Picasso night club in the Topland hotel is ok if you like loud thai music, whisky and young hotties.

Apart from that head for the train or plane station. Walk if you have to do it aint great.

My 2 satang.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember The Flying Vegetable Restaurant / show.....is it still there?

Too bad you don't like temples OP, must say that I'm sick of them too. However, Wat Pra Sri Mahathat contains the Phra Buddha Chinnarat (original), which is said to be the most beautiful and I was impressed many years ago. I wasn't impressed with all the stalls outside and all the sellers, which no doubt has got much worse. Also, if you haven't seen Sukothai or Sri Sachanalai, I think you have missed something and P'lok is a good base with local buses going there. It's not my favourite place on earth, but it's not the worst........but you need to be wanting to see temples, which of course you don't.....so give it a miss.

Temples are every where in the North.... I skip visiting temples for the time being because

i will be in CMai for several weeks......

Temples are every where in the North.... I skip visiting temples for the time being because

Yes but Sukothai and Sri Sachanalai have a special place in Thai history dating back to 13th century and unlike Chiang Mai temples, are large UNESCO world heritage sites, which I would recommend to any world traveller as worth visiting.

Edited by uptheos

Agree with uptheos; while your typical temple gets old fast, Si Satchanalai is a different ballgame. All the tourists hit Sukothai, which is nice, but Si Satchanalai is a lot quieter and you can even see it on elephant-back. Hire a bike, the ride out there's also nice and a load of kilns in the area.

Si Satchanalai

Wat%252520Chang%252520Si%252520Satchanalai_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Sukothai

sukhothai-lago.jpg

Other than that, see the birds and houseboats in PLock.

• Like 1

I have family there, a young brother in law, atually 2 years older than I am. So when I was there we had plenty to do, involving night life etc.

But this is special case, I would be wary of going unless you had people to help show you the local hang outs that are more fun.

I sort of liked it, but it is certainly not touristy. It is the "real" Thailand - that a lot of people say that they are looking for - and a great place to practice central Thai as not a lot of English spoken and they have the right accent. Lot's of good Thai food near the river, but not much decent Western food.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

I sort of liked it, but it is certainly not touristy. It is the "real" Thailand - that a lot of people say that they are looking for - and a great place to practice central Thai as not a lot of English spoken and they have the right accent. Lot's of good Thai food near the river, but not much decent Western food.

Yeah--I will agree with UG--I sorta like P'Lok--but this could have something to do with the fact I was living in Kampghaeng Phet at the time--and, compared to K'Phet, the Diamond Blah Blah Blah, P'Lok was really kickin".

• Like 1

Let me put the worrying minds to rest...​.....there is planty of nooky at night, but a little bit of looking and a bit of Thai certainly helps. Not that I was in any shape after my sojourns. Come to think of it, is there anywhere in Thailand where you can't get a beer and get laid (if that's what you want)

Agree with uptheos; while your typical temple gets old fast, Si Satchanalai is a different ballgame. All the tourists hit Sukothai, which is nice, but Si Satchanalai is a lot quieter and you can even see it on elephant-back. Hire a bike, the ride out there's also nice and a load of kilns in the area.

Si Satchanalai

Wat%252520Chang%252520Si%252520Satchanalai_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Sukothai

sukhothai-lago.jpg

Other than that, see the birds and houseboats in PLock.

Beautiful pictures, makes me want to go back. Thanks for the memories.

Yes but Sukothai and Sri Sachanalai have a special place in Thai history dating back to 13th century and unlike Chiang Mai temples, are large UNESCO world heritage sites, which I would recommend to any world traveller as worth visiting.

+1

Phits is great if you don't like 1000"s of tourists walking about. Just have to get used to not much farang food around and beer bars on every corner. Suits me just fine.

Yes, a lot of guys want to be a 'hansum man' all over Thailand and they won't be one in P'lok. wink.png

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dr Thawee's Folk Museum, which I found absolutely fascinating. I have seen nothing like it anywhere in Thailand. When I was there, we were shown round by his daughter, who speaks excellent English. Just opposite is a Buddha-casting factory.

Wat Yai, as the locals call the big temple, has interesting statues inside, including one of a non-existent person.... who appeared from nowhere when they were having difficulty casting the Chinnarat Buddha, solved their problem, and then disappeared.

Si Satchanalai.... a lovely place to visit, knocks Sukhotai into a pile of ruins.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dr Thawee's Folk Museum, which I found absolutely fascinating. I have seen nothing like it anywhere in Thailand. When I was there, we were shown round by his daughter, who speaks excellent English. Just opposite is a Buddha-casting factory.

Wat Yai, as the locals call the big temple, has interesting statues inside, including one of a non-existent person.... who appeared from nowhere when they were having difficulty casting the Chinnarat Buddha, solved their problem, and then disappeared.

Si Satchanalai.... a lovely place to visit, knocks Sukhotai into a pile of ruins.

Glad somebody mentioned it - I love that museum , and the Buddha foundry .

They also make very good Khanom Jin in Phtsanuloke - went to a restaurant which had about 6 different choices for the sauce.

I seem to remember a collection of Bang Kaew dogs , maybe at the museum or nearby.

They also make very good Khanom Jin in Phtsanuloke - went to a restaurant which had about 6 different choices for the sauce.

I seem to remember a collection of Bang Kaew dogs , maybe at the museum or nearby.

After reading majority comment, I was quite reluctant to visit this town as I don't wanna waste a few days staying bored.

But I have a few friends there wanting me to visit them. A little hard to decide. Thanks guys anyway!

After reading majority comment, I was quite reluctant to visit this town as I don't wanna waste a few days staying bored.

But I have a few friends there wanting me to visit them. A little hard to decide. Thanks guys anyway!

Any particular reason you can't ask them?