Hand Made Shoes

briley

I have a young grandson with awkward feet, no shop bought shoe ever fits him.

Is there anywhere in Chiang Mai where I can take his foot measurements and get him a pair of shoes made?

I probably need something a bit better than the street cobblers - but I might be wrong, some of them are very good.

on Nimmanhamin Road behind the Wawee or Black Canyon coffee shop opposite and about 100m down from The Rincome hotel you will find a row of small shops selling high end fashion goods. One sells leather shoes and they do make tailor made stuff. I am not 100% sure about this so only drop in if you happen to be passing. Be prepared to spend some money too!

Don't hold your breath, I just did a TV search 'shoe makers' and the best I got was ' Iran Envoy Claims 'Zionist Regime' Behind Bangkok....unsure.png

It would be nice to know somewhere that can make customised shoes........hats as well if anyone knows.

yes; its time you had a new hat...that thing is looking decidedly "shabby"

• Like 1

There's a shop in Kuad Suan Kaew, bottom floor if i remember correctly. Can't recall exactly where, but think it was

close to some end/corner.

Can't really vouch for the quality there though. Had a pair made around five years ago for 2000-3000B I think. Quality seemed ok, though I was a bit suspicious about the heel. Used them only a couple of times (fancy dress shoes. I don't get invited to formal evenings much, unfortunately) over the years, then stoved away for 3-4 years.

Used them again recently a few months ago, and while walking to the cake-buffet after dinner I noticed I had a rather uneven walk. Thought perhaps I'd had a glass of wine too much, but then looked down and saw the heel of my handmade shoes was disintegrating at a rapid pace, leaving big white chunks of something in my trail. Fortunately I was just passing the wardrobe counter at that moment, so while trying to maintain my cool I handed the male manning the wardrobe my disintegrating shoes, asking him to throw them away and give me the sneakers I had previously left in the wardrobe with my change of clothes.

Not sure what the people manning the wardrobe thought, but I could her the girl manning the same wardrobe expressing some surprise as she noted that there was suddenly a lot of white crumbs on the floor. She then appeared to fetch something to clean it up with. When I passed by on my way back from the cake-buffet the floor looked clean again.

So all in all, I can't really vouch 100% for the quality at that shop in KSK.

I just had a pair of walking boots made at the shop on Chang Puak. Across from Rajabhat, and just a few meters from the entrance to Iyara Hotel. There's a small sign above head height with a picture of a shoe on it. The owner draws your feet onto paper, and takes numerous measurements. You can select from a huge array of styles in his well-worn sales brochure. The actual work is done in Bangkok.

I told a friend, and he decided to join me in ordering.

Neither pair actually fit us when they were returned three weeks later. I have no idea how the factory could miss with all the measurements in hand, but they did. Mine were too snug, and my friend's were too large. Mine were tortured with stretchers for a few days, and are sort of wearable. My friend chose to chalk it up to experience: hard to shrink a shoe.

The guy works hard, speaks some English, and is very likeable. I paid 2500 for my pair.

Handsome leather work, and excellent lugged soles. But my right big toe still isn't happy.

It must be incrediably difficult to make shoes - my grandson has his shoes made in the UK. They take 6 weeks to make and so far not a single pair have actually fitted properly.

Hence my hope to find someone in Chiang Mai.

Anyway a couple of ideas to follow up, Nimman and Number 1 bar - many thanks.

It must be incrediably difficult to make shoes - my grandson has his shoes made in the UK. They take 6 weeks to make and so far not a single pair have actually fitted properly.

Not even those made in Northampton, the home of the cobblers?

Cobra Shoes ,they used to be on Thapae Road,had a pair made and

they lasted over 12 years,ended up a bit shabby looking,but I loved

them,the soles where hardly worn down.

Now they have a shop on Chiang Mai Land,I believe its called,have a

lot of stock ,but not sure if they make to measure now.

regards Worgeordie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I passed by this topic while searching for something else.

Not sure if you travelling around, but if you happens to pass by Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, take a look at the shop at this address:

40 Ly Chinh Thang, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city. I had several bespoke pairs made here, great quality. The owner has been making shoes for 60 years, excellent craftsmanship.

Or another address in Singapore:

http://www.edetal.sg/

They make bespoke shoes as well, but at a ridiculous price. If you don't mind spending money, then perhaps they are a good choice.

Vietnam is well off my flight path!

But I have found out that Thai children's shoes are wider than their UK equivalents - a pair off the shelf in Tesco's fitted the little lad, 300 baht and everyone is happy.