Long Pants Requiard To Get Drivers Licence, What The?

wildorchid

Ok last friday my husband and I went to ask infomation for him to get a thai drivers licence, we were told what documents were requiard and number of copys for each, then told come back on monday early.

(My husband has an australian drivers licence for car, bus and truck)

we arived early as we were told then wait, submit all documants,then wait, ok go up and do your eye test, then told no you can not do anything you are not wearing long pants!!! wait a moment there was several other men told come back tomorrow no long pants,,, but I saw a woman wearing very short shorts and no problem????? my husband was wearing his freshly irond camel shorts and colar shirt clean shaven, another man wearing open tshirt necke tatoos showing and long thai pants, yes you ok, another man with old ripped jeans yes you ok,,,

My husband says he will wear his tuxedo tshirt and very brightly coloured long pants, possably some over sized red clown shoes and a curly yellow wig,

think he will get the licence then???blink.png

what a joke!!!

how about tackling the the poor drivers out there and teaching people to drive and obey the road rules.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very little ever changes in Thailand; they hit me with the 'no-shorts' rule when I got my licence in 2008 - I had to drive to a nearby shop to buy some. Yes, double standards; I remember queueing for the eye-test and being highly distracted by the hot-pant wearing lady in front!

yes something to learn for Australians....basically everywhere (maybe exception USA) a long trouser is required. It isn't a law, it is just something you do.

Shoes, long trousers and no sleeveless shirts.

I remember in Croatia and Greece every year hundreds of women get kicked out of the churches because of improper clothes, as the Germans also don't get it....

Very little ever changes in Thailand; they hit me with the 'no-shorts' rule when I got my licence in 2008 - I had to drive to a nearby shop to buy some. Yes, double standards; I remember queueing for the eye-test and being highly distracted by the hot-pant wearing lady in front!

without the lady you might have failed the eye-test....but with her all the sharping software routines in your brain got activated....

yes something to learn for Australians....basically everywhere (maybe exception USA) a long trouser is required. It isn't a law, it is just something you do.

I remember in Croatia and Greece every year hundreds of women get kicked out of the churches because of improper clothes, as the Germans also don't get it....

No, it's the hypocrisy and sexism that grates; remember we're not there to even take a practical or theory test, Thai men are there in vests and flip-flops (somehow appropriate?) and Thai women can wear the tightest hot-pants and briefest skirts with high heels (I'm not complaining, but seriously, for a driving test?) - our reaction is one of disbelief - "Really, Thailand? you've got a problem with shorts?".

• Like 1

No, it's the hypocrisy and sexism that grates; remember we're not there to even take a practical or theory test, Thai men are there in vests and flip-flops (somehow appropriate?) and Thai women can wear the tightest hot-pants and briefest skirts with high heels (I'm not complaining, but seriously, for a driving test?) - our reaction is one of disbelief - "Really, Thailand? you've got a problem with shorts?".

I read this but wonder if it's true?

- In Victoria Australia it is forbidden to wear pink hot pants after mid-day on a Sunday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/weird/the-worlds-strangest-laws/story-e6frev20-1111114208087

I am actually surprised, with the abundance of information and all, that people turn up in government offices in anything other than pretty darned nice clothes. I am sure there are double standards though.... I can see where it may be seen as more disrespectful to do this as a foreigner though, that a Thai.

Another noteworthy point, if you need anything from immigration, dress up!! Appearance it literally like 90% of the equation here. You are just giving people, that have mood swings, a reason to deny you. I laugh when I see the foreigners complaining at immigration in their sandals. I almost want to tell them, but it is just too much fun to watch.

I am actually surprised, with the abundance of information and all, that people turn up in government offices in anything other than pretty darned nice clothes. I am sure there are double standards though.... I can see where it may be seen as more disrespectful to do this as a foreigner though, that a Thai.

Another noteworthy point, if you need anything from immigration, dress up!! Appearance it literally like 90% of the equation here. You are just giving people, that have mood swings, a reason to deny you. I laugh when I see the foreigners complaining at immigration in their sandals. I almost want to tell them, but it is just too much fun to watch.

Having done 10 odd years of visas....I have never gone in anything but shorts and sandals.

You cow-tail too much me thinks.

• Like 1

Without wishing to sound snotty but us farangs, out of the bar scene, are thought to be above the rest, perhaps above the native. Always wear trousers and socks IF you want to avoid problems. Be what they conceive you to be, even if your not. laugh.png

• Like 2

Having done 10 odd years of visas....I have never gone in anything but shorts and sandals.

Well, those are probably borderline cases where they get denied in shorts, ie give me a reason.

Me thinks you are dense if you have lived in Thailand 10 years and enter govt buildings in shorts and sandals, but the more power to ya. It just seems odd that you are totally oblivious to the disdain you have caused, simply because of the efficacy of your endeavors.

Edited by utalkin2me

Well, those are probably borderline cases where they get denied in shorts, ie give me a reason.

Me thinks you are dense if you have lived in Thailand 10 years and enter govt buildings in shorts and sandals, but the more power to ya. It just seems odd that you are totally oblivious to the disdain you have caused, simply because of the efficacy of your endeavors.

10 years of visas......d/l......should I mention the government approved ???? thingy....nah......all in shorts and sandals.........disdain or not, they could not give a hoot as long as you are not an arsehol_e about it all.......but you continue towing the line and dressing up to impress

Long pants is a requirement in every government office in Thailand.

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

You need a sign for every rule there is? In Pattaya it is often not enforced, probably because they know what kind of meat they have in the tub.

Edited by jbrain