Long Pants Requiard To Get Drivers Licence, What The?

wildorchid

yes something to learn for Australians....basically everywhere (maybe exception USA) a long trouser is required. It isn't a law, it is just something you do.

Shoes, long trousers and no sleeveless shirts.

I remember in Croatia and Greece every year hundreds of women get kicked out of the churches because of improper clothes, as the Germans also don't get it....

No, it's the hypocrisy and sexism that grates; remember we're not there to even take a practical or theory test, Thai men are there in vests and flip-flops (somehow appropriate?) and Thai women can wear the tightest hot-pants and briefest skirts with high heels (I'm not complaining, but seriously, for a driving test?) - our reaction is one of disbelief - "Really, Thailand? you've got a problem with shorts?".

yes it is sexism...but considering the difference in appearance of female legs and male legs it is understandable.

not long ago trousers were inappropriate for women...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long pants is a requirement in every government office in Thailand.

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

where are the signs that you shouldn't come naked, or that you shouldn't smell, or eat in the government office?

for many common sense things there aren't signs, else the walls would be full "don't pull in the nose" signs.

I would say worldwide.....just it isn't enforced.

Where I'm born I don't see anyone walk into a government office, or any place for that matter, in shorts these days biggrin.png

Where I'm born I don't see anyone walk into a government office, or any place for that matter, in shorts these days biggrin.png

Me ol' Dad always said 'if you're going somewhere official, dress officially'.

Of course that was in the sixties.

• Like 2

Winter ??

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

where are the signs that you shouldn't come naked, or that you shouldn't smell, or eat in the government office?

for many common sense things there aren't signs, else the walls would be full "don't pull in the nose" signs.

Thats hilarious.

They sell food inside a government office I go to.

I can understand that many of you may need to bump up your chances of approval by wearing long pants.....I bet you wear yellow on mondays also right ?

To pass the test you need to treat other road users with absolute contempt, make sure you always give no signals, make sure you always get to the front of the queue by driving past all the waiting cars, make sure you drive 1-2 inches from the car in front whilst swerving form side to side to see if there is a 6 inch gap you can squeeze into, dont forget to overtake where there is no visibiltiy, when all else fails pull out your gun and shoot the offending driver ( everyone in front of you) dead, then reverse over him before pulling out your ace card the incredibly long surname guaranteeing you get out of jail free hi so parents card.

Congratulations Mr Somchai u have passed.

Oh sh*t I forgot wear long pants!! would that be with "hello kitty" written on them though

• Like 1

Just tell them they are long pants but you have very long legs! That'll confuse them!!!

That's what always makes me wondering with those trousers just below the knee.

Are they shorts that are too long or long pants that are too short biggrin.png

Me ol' Dad always said 'if you're going somewhere official, dress officially'.

Of course that was in the sixties.

1860's?

• Like 1

Just tell them they are long pants but you have very long legs! That'll confuse them!!!

That's what always makes me wondering with those trousers just below the knee.

Are they shorts that are too long or long pants that are too short biggrin.png

Yeah Id want to know if 4 inches above the ankle would get me ejected or not, I love this kind of crap!

What if you wear 2 pairs of shorts ?

They didnt specify where you had to wear them, you could wear them round your neck?

Id go with them round my neck and when they declined me ask for the full list of rules ( in triplicate with passport copies)

• Like 1

OP: Same thing happened to me, turned away for wearing shorts, must show respect etc etc. What annoyed me after returning and completing the driver tests is what a farce the driving skills test is in Thailand & you have to show "respect". I know TIT, culture and all that, but demonstrate total disregard for the safety of their fellow citizens, complete BS...

Me ol' Dad always said 'if you're going somewhere official, dress officially'

My grandad said exactly the same thing. Although he was a tank commander in the 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" during the invasion of France.

• Like 1

OP: Same thing happened to me, turned away for wearing shorts, must show respect etc etc. What annoyed me after returning and completing the driver tests is what a farce the driving skills test is in Thailand & you have to show "respect". I know TIT, culture and all that, but demonstrate total disregard for the safety of their fellow citizens, complete BS...

No, no.... you misunderstand completely. BS is thinking that being licensed to drive with the buffalo in LOS has something to do with wearing long pants at the LTO.

10 years of visas......d/l......should I mention the government approved ???? thingy....nah......all in shorts and sandals.........disdain or not, they could not give a hoot as long as you are not an arsehol_e about it all.......but you continue towing the line and dressing up to impress

Well, since the ladies get away with wearing shorts, maybe the staffers at the government offices you frequent consider you a girly-man.

3 pages of discussion and he's still going to have to wear long pants if he wants a new driving licence rolleyes.gif

Indeed... but with all this badgering from the (obviously) girly smooth-legged diddums must be awfully confusing. Does the OP 'cow tail' (?) or does the OP take the path of highest rejection?

3 pages of discussion and he's still going to have to wear long pants if he wants a new driving licence rolleyes.gif

Indeed... but with all this badgering from the (obviously) girly smooth-legged diddums must be awfully confusing. Does the OP 'cow tail' (?) or does the OP take the path of highest rejection?

If it were me I'd take the path of highest rejection. I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a cow tail.

I went in shorts and 45 mins later I was out with car and mc licenses in my pocket.

I can only suppose there was another issue, not just the clothes.

I witnessed some Americans dealing with Thais as they deal with fellow Americans in the states, i.e barely greeting, not smiling, not looking at them when speaking, short sentences and turning away without goodbye. In the US, this might not be considered particularly impolite, but in Thailand it's definitely a no-no.

Technically it is considered (and expected) common courtesy to wear long pants when attending a government office.

That is true and always the way it has been. It is a custom. Why not go along with it? The Thais do. Just be respectful. It's not asking that much.

I always respect the custom of wearing long pants at a government office. But the other day I went to see my doctor at his clinic at CMU. I was wearing a nice pair of black shorts, a short-sleeved dress shirt and nice shoes. Before the doctor came in to see me, the nurse "covered me up" with a large towel. I thought that was odd. Do they have the same custom at a University campus? I went to a private clinic section of the campus.