Thailand's Biggest Health Watchdog Proposes Higher Tax On Sweetened Soda Drinks

webfact

Very very not true. You would still be unhealthy. It's not only the total calories you take in, it's the type of food that counts as well. Unless you have especially good genetics, but even so, no matter how active you are, you're arteries will still feel the effects of that food, so as your general health.

As I said, you'd have to take into consideration a person's total calorie intake, his metabolic rate and activity level to determine if a person will put on weight. That is what we were discussing, not general health.

You could be reasonably healthy eating a few big macs a day if you ate only healthy food the rest of the day.

You can't take one meal in isolation and say the person will gain weight and be unhealthy.

Not at all. If you were eating a few big macs A DAY, you would most likely put on weight. With the amount of sugar, fat etc that in that. I would disagree and so would any nutritionist etc. Add to that, people who would be in this 'basket' would not be eating only raw fresh, healthy food the rest of the day. They sought of don't go together.

True to the second part, but a consistent habit shows they're likely behaviour. I can eat McDonalds once and I feel like crap. And, back to your original statement, if you only ate that and you were very active you would lose weight, but even if you only ate that and you weren't very active, you probably wouldn't lose it, but increase your levels of fat.

Not if you're frying with it.

Olive oil has to major problems. First the molecules are unstable and therefor not good at all for cooking. Used straight out of the bottle on salads it is an excellent source of healthy fats. Second problem is that the majority of Extra virgin olive oil is fake or cut with non-virgin olive oil. It's a big Italian mafia operation. Search it if you don't believe me. I found one brand at Villa Market in Phuket that comes from Australia and is very expensive that I think is the real deal but I'm still not sure. Olive oil produced and sold locally tends to be real more often but anything that is exported is suspect. Again search it and you can find info on how to tell if it's real. Generally if the price is cheap forget it.

Indeed. Stuff made in Australia has to comply, or else I believe there would be significant issues. Imported stuff though is a different situation.

As to what oil is best...there's contradicting information all around. Although using saturated fats may help cooking, they still aren't good for your diet. Otherwise fast food would be healthy for us.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember that Singapore was worried about the obese kids growing up there, and sugar soaked soft drinks got a good bit of the blame.

I think they either had the sugar levels lowered or bought in a sugar tax.

The lower-income folk in Australia love their coke, and they can be seen waddling out of the stores with trolleys loaded.

Try to buy sugar-free anything in Thailand is so darned difficult! Even a pancake mix I was about to buy had a huge amount of sugar in it. Yup, make my own!

Some countries have been discussing having LARGE sugar-content labels on goods, as the risk of diabetes is increasing.

Two big macks, two large fries and a diet coke please.

Really helps right?

No it doesn't help at all - this will make you fat in no time with all of those trans fats, simple carbohydrates and aspartame!!!

You can't say that unless you know the person's total daily calorie intake and level of activity. If I only ate that every day I'd lose a lot of weight.

Training for the next Marathon?

As I said, you'd have to take into consideration a person's total calorie intake, his metabolic rate and activity level to determine if a person will put on weight. That is what we were discussing, not general health.

You could be reasonably healthy eating a few big macs a day if you ate only healthy food the rest of the day.

You can't take one meal in isolation and say the person will gain weight and be unhealthy.

Not at all. If you were eating a few big macs A DAY, you would most likely put on weight. With the amount of sugar, fat etc that in that. I would disagree and so would any nutritionist etc. Add to that, people who would be in this 'basket' would not be eating only raw fresh, healthy food the rest of the day. They sought of don't go together.

True to the second part, but a consistent habit shows they're likely behaviour. I can eat McDonalds once and I feel like crap. And, back to your original statement, if you only ate that and you were very active you would lose weight, but even if you only ate that and you weren't very active, you probably wouldn't lose it, but increase your levels of fat.

Not if you're frying with it.

Olive oil has to major problems. First the molecules are unstable and therefor not good at all for cooking. Used straight out of the bottle on salads it is an excellent source of healthy fats. Second problem is that the majority of Extra virgin olive oil is fake or cut with non-virgin olive oil. It's a big Italian mafia operation. Search it if you don't believe me. I found one brand at Villa Market in Phuket that comes from Australia and is very expensive that I think is the real deal but I'm still not sure. Olive oil produced and sold locally tends to be real more often but anything that is exported is suspect. Again search it and you can find info on how to tell if it's real. Generally if the price is cheap forget it.

Indeed. Stuff made in Australia has to comply, or else I believe there would be significant issues. Imported stuff though is a different situation.

As to what oil is best...there's contradicting information all around. Although using saturated fats may help cooking, they still aren't good for your diet. Otherwise fast food would be healthy for us.

"a few big macs A DAY, you would most likely put on weight"

Care to fill us in on the calorie count in one Big Mac I believe that it is not that high three a day would be less than the regular intake of calories.

Personally I prefer the cheese Whooper at Burger King.smile.png When I eat it I really don't care what is in it. It is not like it was a daily occurrence. I really don't know a lot about diets but I was told to allow yourself a treat every now and then. Who would eat a few big macs everyday as there regular diet? I really think posts like that are grabbing at straws. 66,000,000 people in Thailand and less than 100 McDonald's. Why even mention it.wai2.gif

Edited by hellodolly

Very very not true. You would still be unhealthy. It's not only the total calories you take in, it's the type of food that counts as well. Unless you have especially good genetics, but even so, no matter how active you are, you're arteries will still feel the effects of that food, so as your general health.

No need to continue here. Take it to the "I'm too fat forum". We can talk about it there all day long. I'm under 10% bodyfat, so I know a thing or two about fat control. I could easily stay lean with 2 big Macs a day and stay reasonably healthy too - the only problem is I don't like them, so I don't want to start eating them to prove my point.

Edited by tropo

A huge amount of italiam olive oil is smuggled from turkey. There is so much italian olive oil in the world, every inch of the country would be planted with olives.

Thats the CAP for you

I always thought there was a reason why I only buy Spannish olive oil, now I KNOW.

A huge amount of italiam olive oil is smuggled from turkey. There is so much italian olive oil in the world, every inch of the country would be planted with olives.

Thats the CAP for you

I always thought there was a reason why I only buy Spannish olive oil, now I KNOW.

Nothing wrong with turkish olive oil. It's just a long standing con the Italians have had running in the eu. Where can u but Spanish olive oil?

Well there is truth in what you say however a large part of the reason for those diseases is man is living much longer and has more time to catch them.

Ironic when you think about it. Keep a close eye on your diet so you can live longer and get old peoples problems that you would never have if you died at 50.

I'd still rather live to old age than die prematurely. Besides there's no reason by you couldn't get those disease earlier and die from them anyway.

Care to fill us in on the calorie count in one Big Mac I believe that it is not that high three a day would be less than the regular intake of calories.

Personally I prefer the cheese Whooper at Burger King.smile.png When I eat it I really don't care what is in it. It is not like it was a daily occurrence. I really don't know a lot about diets but I was told to allow yourself a treat every now and then. Who would eat a few big macs everyday as there regular diet? I really think posts like that are grabbing at straws. 66,000,000 people in Thailand and less than 100 McDonald's. Why even mention it.wai2.gif

About 500 calories in each and every Big Mac. 3 a day and you reach the average caloric intake for a average sized male. If you add in the fries and drink you are looking at over 800-900 calories in a single serving. More than 2/3's the needed daily intake of an average person.

If you were eating 3 of these, you would be consuming (just burgers) your needed calories for a whole day with crappy processed food. Not a good thought.

No need to continue here. Take it to the "I'm too fat forum". We can talk about it there all day long. I'm under 10% bodyfat, so I know a thing or two about fat control. I could easily stay lean with 2 big Macs a day and stay reasonably healthy too - the only problem is I don't like them, so I don't want to start eating them to prove my point.

Why would I need to go there? Who said I was too fat? What has been your highest body fat? I see plenty of lean people around here (and even in Australia) that are lean by genetics, not by actually having had reduced their body fat from 16-18% (average) to under 10%, who would not know anything other than they can eat what they want and never put on fat.

Sure you might be able to, if you're very active and have a high metabolic rate and need a higher than average caloric intake and even have favorable genetics (and are 'lucky'). But we are talking about the average person here who doesn't fit that profile. So, no they would not be able to do it without affecting their weight and their health.

I would also disagree that eating 2 big macs a day would be considered by anyone as healthy. Especially anyone who 'knows' anything. Sure if you had one every now and then, but certainly not everyday.

Also the fat makes up a whopping 300 of the calories (about 35 grams of it). And that aint' any of the good stuff, plus the sugar and the 1g of sodium in each burger and that's something that is not good for anyone.

I also know a thing or two about fat and more importantly how the body uses it and what it does with it. :)

Well there is truth in what you say however a large part of the reason for those diseases is man is living much longer and has more time to catch them.

Ironic when you think about it. Keep a close eye on your diet so you can live longer and get old peoples problems that you would never have if you died at 50.

I'd still rather live to old age than die prematurely. Besides there's no reason by you couldn't get those disease earlier and die from them anyway.

About 500 calories in each and every Big Mac. 3 a day and you reach the average caloric intake for a average sized male. If you add in the fries and drink you are looking at over 800-900 calories in a single serving. More than 2/3's the needed daily intake of an average person.

If you were eating 3 of these, you would be consuming (just burgers) your needed calories for a whole day with crappy processed food. Not a good thought.

You presume figures to justify your position. Number 1 what age would be considered premature death.

Secondly if it was me I would have a large Cole Zero and only one order of fries.wai2.gif

You presume figures to justify your position. Number 1 what age would be considered premature death.

Secondly if it was me I would have a large Cole Zero and only one order of fries.wai2.gif

Studies have actually looked at the calories in a big mac (in many countries). In Australia they even require nutritional labels so by law they have to provide that information (the menu even shows how many KJ's per meal etc).

So my numbers aren't just made up, nor are my average calories per person.

I studied Bio Med and also read a lot about food etc, exercise, so it's all from real facts. I don't make up stuff. :)

And I too, refuse to drink non diet drinks. Even though it's still not good for you, lesser of two evils unfortunately. So with ya on that one.

Yes, let's make responsible people pay more taxes in order to help irresponsible people. When Government tries to help us by removing freedoms by making things more expensive it is never a good thing.

Why aren't we expecting parents to monitor thier kids? Is this the Governments job?

Instead of letting people manage thier own life let's do it for them. What's next? Outlawing salt, sweets, anything the Government deems dangerous?

This is happening in the US, but not always effective. Trying to change laws to save people from themselves. They do this by removing freedoms.

• Like 1

Logic? This will only effect those who have little funds and hence little food anyway.

The people who have money will not be effected and are the ones who more likely are eating to much anyway.

Taxing items for a control measure will only work to those who are poor, hence a stupid idea.

You people that think is a good idea will eventually let the Government interfere more and more into your lives. Before you know it you will have many freedoms removed.

When ever some freedom is removed for "public safety" I cringe.

• Like 1

Why would I need to go there? Who said I was too fat? What has been your highest body fat? I see plenty of lean people around here (and even in Australia) that are lean by genetics, not by actually having had reduced their body fat from 16-18% (average) to under 10%, who would not know anything other than they can eat what they want and never put on fat.

Because that's where we have long discussions on eating, nutrition, health and fat loss. I thought it was getting a bit off topic here and you could probably use the education.

(you described exactly what I achieved last year. Starting at about 18% down to 9%. Checked by DEXA scan in Australia. BTW, 18% is healthy too - losing it was for cosmetic considerations only)

Edited by tropo

That's complete crap. Until very recently, on traditional diets, Japanese people lived to be very old, and stayed very healthy. Heart disease, diabetes etc are diseases caused by an unhealthy lifestyle, NOT 'old-age' diseases.

Only way to fix it is to put massive taxes on sugar, salt, tobacco and alcohol......tenfold what they currently are and then watch the health bills go down.

Have you not realised how focussed Thai people are on eating and drinking exactly what they want?! There's no way that a tax hike would cut down consumption (even if the powerful sugar companies DIDN'T have the government in their pockets) - a tax hike would just lead to more inventive and extreme forms of corruption to feed their appetites!

How on these discussions does it always turn to mcdonalds and kfc, which is infinitely more popular, get away Scot free.

And that stuff is all deep fried.

I always get angry at how burgers and other Western food in general are used as the poster child for unhealthy food. There is plenty of healthy Western food, too. More importantly, there is a lot of UNhealthy Thai food, too. Thai people are told that they should eat Thai food to stay healthy, but aren't told that some Thai food is just as bad for you as McDonalds, KFC etc. Street food is almost all packed full of oil, sugar, salt and MSG. Don't blame it all on the burgers!

• Like 2

That's complete crap. Until very recently, on traditional diets, Japanese people lived to be very old, and stayed very healthy. Heart disease, diabetes etc are diseases caused by an unhealthy lifestyle, NOT 'old-age' diseases.

How do healthy old people die?.. or do they just drop dead one day in a healthy state?

How old did these Japanese on traditional diets live?

If you're looking at world life-expectancy tables the Japanese are 3rd on the list, but only 5 years separates the top 56 countries of the world. I would say the medical care available in Japan would be partly responsible for their slightly older population compared to other nations. Either way it's no big deal. Those last years are mostly spent in hospitals, old age homes or hospices. You can have 'em.

Perhaps there might also be a wider range of low-calorie/non-sugar soft-drinks available here, one day ?

Why might Thailand be so far behind ? Import-duties, poor entrepreneurial-skills, greedy local bottlers, or what ? wink.png

Yes, Yes, and oh Yea.............YES

Edited by BigSkip