So Global Has Landed In Mukdahan

ttl

The giant has arrived,but watch out in the covered car parks, rather narrow, and if you have anything larger than a Suzuki it is almost impossible to reverse out wiithout very careful avoidance of the vehicle opposite

ADVERTISING STATES, Installation Service,Delivery Service,Special Order Service,30 Days Guarantee.VAT refund Ha!Ha!Anremember items that are priced will have VAT added at the check out?

Remember they are a retailer and discount is a dirty word

At present I am building a retail shop and a house,Going to spend a pile of those big ones.

I made a request for a special order, to measure and quote a price for a complete large shop front,delivered and installed.

measure & quote was not in my shop assistant's English pocket dict..Spoke to 6 different people and the answer was a lemon.Came back 2 days later and was unable to get service even when I offered to take their staff member to the location,the fact of my having working drawings with me made no difference either

I did place a sizeable order for goods they had in stock but delivery to my site 20kms out of town took 4 days.and was chargeable.

Surely they need at least one English speaking,general product knowledge expert,for the size of the operation. Phew??!!@@

Some people and especially Thais forget that whether you like it or not English is the international language of the world. Would I expect somebody at large store in Canada to speak Thai? No, but I would expect that if the store was in a Chinese community, someone would speak Chinese, and I would expect Thai people living in Canada would speak English, since it's the second language of the world. The same in Thailand I would not expect somebody to speak German, or French at a store, but I would expect the German or French speaker could converse in English and thus I would expect somebody at the store could speak English. This problem will probably go away in 2015 when the Thai stores will be able to hire Filipinos, who speak English. O f course there will be less Thais working in the Big Box stores.

Some people and especially Thais forget that whether you like it or not English is the international language of the world. Would I expect somebody at large store in Canada to speak Thai? No, but I would expect that if the store was in a Chinese community, someone would speak Chinese, and I would expect Thai people living in Canada would speak English, since it's the second language of the world. The same in Thailand I would not expect somebody to speak German, or French at a store, but I would expect the German or French speaker could converse in English and thus I would expect somebody at the store could speak English. This problem will probably go away in 2015 when the Thai stores will be able to hire Filipinos, who speak English. O f course there will be less Thais working in the Big Box stores.

If a Thai person can speak reasonable English they wouldn't be working in a hardware/home supply store in Mukdahan. In Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Udorn Thani, Korat maybe, but in Mukdahan! Most young people with good English speaking skills get better jobs.

^ I would have thought that the standard 300 Baht per day would be paid no matter where the site of the warehouse. Or is Mukdahan part of a sub-culture in your opinion?

What a silly statement. I am not talking about the 250-300 baht a day workers. No one expects them to speak English in stores anywhere. But rather those a little higher up the management level which the OP would liked to have been able to call upon to help him out. He says that no one could help him. I am not surprised. I stay frequently in Mukdahan and most 3 star hotels that I stay in (700-900 baht/night range) have no English speakers. One just has to learn Thai. It is not so hard if you work hard at it.

In Isaan, they're not too concerned about having English speakers on staff as almost all the farang go shopping with their wife/TGF in tow (or v.v.) who does the translating. When I'm asked where is your wife/TGF I say she's at home. They ask why didn't she come with you? I say what for? she doesn't speak English and then we proceed in my fractured Thai with a dictionary if necessary.

• Like 1

TTL must have had "bad luck" in the Mukdahan Global House. I've only shopped at the Global House in Surin, Roi Et, Korat and Khon Kaen but was always able to get reasonable sales staff help who spoke enough English. Maybe Global House in Mukdahan has different prices than the four branches of that chain that I have shopped, as they are on the lower side for a chain store. In Buriram at least seven of the larger builders merchants, chain or independent, have English speaking staff on duty any time I have been a shopper. Sometimes the person who speaks the best English is sitting at a desk of a Buriram Hardware Store, but I have found staff / owner's helpful if I was serious about a purchase decision.

Delivery policies are "interesting" with the builders merchants in our area. I had good luck with "drop shipments" bought from a retailer, but shipped direct from the Thai building materials manufacturer on some bulk items, as it was TWO less chances for lazy staff to break something, had it gone to the store first, and loaded again to travel on a retailer truck to our building site. If you do a google search for your province and the words FREE DELIVERY you can see which merchants want to make that a selling point.

The VAT is included in the shelf price at the four Global House stores I have spent money. It is shown added on the receipt, on the bottom left of the cash register receipt, similar to Makro, so the VAT department sees the exact VAT collected. I do not have a high opinion of the quality of some of the "house brands" sold by Global House, but I have posted previously how at 31 days they were fine with a full store credit on a returned Saku kitchen appliance that I had paid via a credit card. In our part of Isaan you could do way worse than Global House. Certain Independent builders merchants will BEAT any advertised price of Global House on the exact same model | brand. In my opinion any city with a Global House makes the other builders merchants "step up their game" to remain popular with customers.