17 Gunmen Dead In Thai Military Base Attack: Army

webfact

After yesterday's incredibly detailed intelligence news report about an imminent al-Quaeda attack on Chiang Mai's American Consulate, the recent murders in the south and Chalerm's voluminous hot air comments, this story seems to be rather opportune.

The story was broken by AFP and in now going global as a syndicated piece.

Maybe yesterday's story was a smoke screen, albeit a very strange one or simply weird - only in Thailand - coincidence.

The bit about prior intel prior to this attack is also intriguing. It will also be interesting to see the news footage evidence on this too.

Let's see where this goes. Unfortunately, that will obviously involve Chalerm gobbing off on TV etc. and claiming he was right all along that a curfew is needed in the south.

The one thing I have noticed so far is the unwillingness of posters so far to give any credit to the Army for getting information. Why is every one so willing to over look any good work the Army does.

The Army is working under tremendous odds against it. They are constantly handicapped by the government with inept people put in charge and stupid ideas like a curfew. As if a terrorist is not going to go out after 8:00 because it is illegal. The fact is it would be singling out the Army soldiers as they would be the only ones on the street much easier to pick them off from under cover than storming there base of operations.

Well, the attackers were sitting ducks, the army new they were coming and were waiting.However the majority of the terrorists got away from the ambush so i don't see much credit in that for the army!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai Army is outnumbered two to 1 and the insurgents lose 17 dead to the Armies no casualties.

Maybe there are reporting errors but this sounds like a ass kicking.

Yupp.I was watching Thai tv and observed some damaged bushes and small trees broken.The Marines would have plenty of time to make some good MG-positions and possible place a couple of Claymore`s there as well.

After yesterday's incredibly detailed intelligence news report about an imminent al-Quaeda attack on Chiang Mai's American Consulate, the recent murders in the south and Chalerm's voluminous hot air comments, this story seems to be rather opportune.

The story was broken by AFP and in now going global as a syndicated piece.

Maybe yesterday's story was a smoke screen, albeit a very strange one or simply weird - only in Thailand - coincidence.

The bit about prior intel prior to this attack is also intriguing. It will also be interesting to see the news footage evidence on this too.

Let's see where this goes. Unfortunately, that will obviously involve Chalerm gobbing off on TV etc. and claiming he was right all along that a curfew is needed in the south.

The one thing I have noticed so far is the unwillingness of posters so far to give any credit to the Army for getting information. Why is every one so willing to over look any good work the Army does.

The Army is working under tremendous odds against it. They are constantly handicapped by the government with inept people put in charge and stupid ideas like a curfew. As if a terrorist is not going to go out after 8:00 because it is illegal. The fact is it would be singling out the Army soldiers as they would be the only ones on the street much easier to pick them off from under cover than storming there base of operations.

Well, the attackers were sitting ducks, the army new they were coming and were waiting.However the majority of the terrorists got away from the ambush so i don't see much credit in that for the army!

Another point Dolly! curfews worked very well for us ( The Brits and Malay police) during the 50's insurgency. Do you know what you are talking about.

All I can say to Thailand is thanks for a job well done!!

Yes, the marines did their job. But what are the underlying root causes?

You mean "how can we apologize for Islamic terrorism and somehow blame it on someone else?" The root cause is the same religious fanaticism that is causing problems pretty much everywhere Muslims share a border with non-Muslims.

Seems you have overlooked the Deep South is Thai territory where Thai Malays are resident. As yet, as far as I am aware, there has been no proven link or claim by the four main insurgent/terrorist groups with Islamic religious extremism as justification for the killings. Such claims are the usual modus operandi by religious extremist groups.

seems no many readers know the facts about the south ?

In 1786, Siam (as Thailand was then called) expanded its influence(stole) to include

Patani and thus ended the Patani kingdom’s reign as a regional power.

In the process, Siam appointed leaders loyal to Siam to replace the existing rulers of

Patani and this led to the isolation of existing elites. This historical annexation

of the south serves as a more convincing reason behind the ongoing contention

between Malay Muslims and Siamese.

So they stole this muslim Kingdom ,kicked out the leaders and put their own puppet regime in.

The original not thai speaking people and non budist were forced to speak thai and become budists.

Well this will never happen ,this is so unfair ,they will rather die .

So all they do is to try to get back what is theirs.

Only sollution is to give those provonces back to the rightfull owners.But they wont loose face on this ,because they gave away parts of thailand on 14 different occasions and Rama5 said this was enough ,no more land could be given away.

I hope they win .But the chanse is small,look what happened in Ireland,Yougoslavia,mozambique,korea ,Vietnam..........

And i hope not to read those ignorant comments

If you want to give the members here a history lesson you should make sure the info you putting out is correct and not some jibberish who looks like it been copied from an pro Al Qaeda website coffee1.gif ..............

Edited by Yahooka
  • Like 1

100 - that sa serous attack on am armed base. Seems to be going to be getting worse down there.

Things are getting worse, but when the curfew, administered by Deputy PM Chalerm takes affect, the terrorist will be so afraid that they will stay at home and hide under the beds. ph34r.pngbeatdeadhorse.gif

I don't think you ave any idea what a curfew means ?

"We learned of the attack in advance from defected militants," Pramote told Thai television - Why are they making these public announcements, you would think that it will slow down the defection rates or at least provides intelligence to the insurgents.

Will the authorities now be providing protection for the defectors families?

More likely to be a strategy to divide the enemy, regardless of defectors or not.

Edited by Morakot

It could have all been avoided by a curfew.

It could all have been avoided If Thailand could find some way of getting rid of the Muslims, or at least closing down their Mosques, there's a war going on down there, and also in other Muslim infected countries that the UK and US among others are fighting in. Get rid of the Muslims and you get rid of the trouble, but unfortunately, it's been left too late.

if you steal something and the owner complains about it and wants to attack you .Then the sollution is to get rid of the owner ?

It seems you dont know sh#t about the problem,you dont know thais stole a complete malay kingdom and tries to make them speak thai and convert them

to budism? You did not know this ?

Why do you give stupid comments like that,if you dont know sh#t about it?

Learn your history and you will understand the problems .

seems no many readers know the facts about the south ?

In 1786, Siam (as Thailand was then called) expanded its influence(stole) to include

Patani and thus ended the Patani kingdom’s reign as a regional power.

In the process, Siam appointed leaders loyal to Siam to replace the existing rulers of

Patani and this led to the isolation of existing elites. This historical annexation

of the south serves as a more convincing reason behind the ongoing contention

between Malay Muslims and Siamese.

So they stole this muslim Kingdom ,kicked out the leaders and put their own puppet regime in.

The original not thai speaking people and non budist were forced to speak thai and become budists.

Well this will never happen ,this is so unfair ,they will rather die .

So all they do is to try to get back what is theirs.

Only sollution is to give those provonces back to the rightfull owners.But they wont loose face on this ,because they gave away parts of thailand on 14 different occasions and Rama5 said this was enough ,no more land could be given away.

I hope they win .But the chanse is small,look what happened in Ireland,Yougoslavia,mozambique,korea ,Vietnam..........

And i hope not to read those ignorant comments

If you want to give the members here a history lesson you should make sure the info you putting out is correct and not some jibberish who looks like it been copied from an pro Al Qaeda website coffee1.gif ..............

why dont you look for yourself on a webside you choose yourself?

History is not made up ,facts are facts.

Well it seems that ignorant people here dont want the thruth,they only want to hear "jibberish" and stay dum .ok i let you be as you like .

It could have all been avoided by a curfew.

It could all have been avoided If Thailand could find some way of getting rid of the Muslims, or at least closing down their Mosques, there's a war going on down there, and also in other Muslim infected countries that the UK and US among others are fighting in. Get rid of the Muslims and you get rid of the trouble, but unfortunately, it's been left too late.

if you steal something and the owner complains about it and wants to attack you .Then the sollution is to get rid of the owner ?

It seems you dont know sh#t about the problem,you dont know thais stole a complete malay kingdom and tries to make them speak thai and convert them

to budism? You did not know this ?

Why do you give stupid comments like that,if you dont know sh#t about it?

Learn your history and you will understand the problems .

It was a Sultanate though and not a kingdom. Non of the people living now have experienced what it was about before. This could be a shadow arguement.

I think this is one of the major problems to fight for something that no one really knows for what and thus keep the fight going on through arguments that are not convincing.

If you are or were an owner down there protect your property by humble means. As it is the eternal wisdom, the humble and meek shall inherit the world.

Violence is no solution.

100 - that sa serous attack on am armed base. Seems to be going to be getting worse down there.

Things are getting worse, but when the curfew, administered by Deputy PM Chalerm takes affect, the terrorist will be so afraid that they will stay at home and hide under the beds. ph34r.pngbeatdeadhorse.gif

I don't think you ave any idea what a curfew means ?

I do believe the poster is fully aware of what a curfew means, but has been somewhat facetious given the fact that DPM Chalerm is involved, as usual. rolleyes.gif

These poor guys were just going in to demand request a bit of ang pao cash, but simply picked the wrong place.

OK i shouldnt have found this funny because somewhere some kids lost their fathers,

but i did

Now THATs funny!!

On another note, the story finally made Yahoo!'s front page

http://news.yahoo.com/thai-marines-kills-19-militants-attacked-034529289.html

also in other Muslim infected countries that the UK and US among others are fighting in

If they removed the Muslims from an "infected" country like Afghanistan there'd be about enough people left to hold a 5-a-side tournament.

It,s a shame, for Thailand to have all this militant muslim murderer in the country.

Today the army make a good things,to try to get an end of this bloody killing from mslim separatists.

If it,s possible at all.???

May the attacker REST IN HELL !

This are the only place for this people " who not care about other peoples lifa and religion.

LONG LIVE THE KING AND THAILAND !

A FREE THAILAND, NOT UNDER MUSLIM LAWS !

Its a good job Thai drivers care about their fellow countrymen then!! (13000 a year dead underestimate) yet here we have peopel complaining of "only" 5000 kiiled in the South

You would think that a militant attack on an army base of this size would be on the front page of world news. It's amazing how the Thais can muzzle the Thai press and smoke out the foreign press.

It was reported in Australia,,,

Just backwater news agencies I guess.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/12/world/asia/thailand-base-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21437938

The way the Thai government in Bangkok along with most of its citizens around the country and the super powers worldwide are ignoring this prolonged and continuing conflict is amazing to me. What will it take for the world police (USA, UK and France) to get involved help protect the people of the Deep South here in Thailand? Maybe after another insurgence strike with a higher profile target like some tourist places in Phuket or Pattaya will make the outside world help and take notice of this terrible conflict and loss of lives here in Thailand?

I hope not.

I've posted a few times on this subject that it's only a matter of time before they target Phuket. Cut the tourist trade like they did in Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria and Libya. Thailand would stand to lose a lot of money. Big money.

That's more effective than the "tit for tat" killings down south.

Again I hope I'm wrong - but if they can reach Bangkok then Phuket would be a breeze.

The way the Thai government in Bangkok along with most of its citizens around the country and the super powers worldwide are ignoring this prolonged and continuing conflict is amazing to me. What will it take for the world police (USA, UK and France) to get involved help protect the people of the Deep South here in Thailand? Maybe after another insurgence strike with a higher profile target like some tourist places in Phuket or Pattaya will make the outside world help and take notice of this terrible conflict and loss of lives here in Thailand?

I hope not.

I've posted a few times on this subject that it's only a matter of time before they target Phuket. Cut the tourist trade like they did in Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria and Libya. Thailand would stand to lose a lot of money. Big money.

That's more effective than the "tit for tat" killings down south.

Again I hope I'm wrong - but if they can reach Bangkok then Phuket would be a breeze.

I think Thai security forces are well aware of that and ready to employ full force against assailants of Phuket.

And I think the terrorists are aware of that as well.

Plus islamists attacking Phuket where so many western families like to spend their holidays would spark huge sympathy for Thailand, which is not what the islamists want.

If the report is true, methinks it was stupid to mention 'informers'. Instead, let the insurgents assume the garrison was ordinarily well defended - and let them think twice b4 attempting another attack.

I think the announcement was designed to start an internal witch hunt within the terrorist groups, which could then lead to real defection.

Edited by manarak

seems no many readers know the facts about the south ? In 1786, Siam (as Thailand was then called) expanded its influence(stole) to include Patani and thus ended the Patani kingdom’s reign as a regional power. In the process, Siam appointed leaders loyal to Siam to replace the existing rulers of Patani and this led to the isolation of existing elites. This historical annexation of the south serves as a more convincing reason behind the ongoing contention between Malay Muslims and Siamese. So they stole this muslim Kingdom ,kicked out the leaders and put their own puppet regime in. The original not thai speaking people and non budist were forced to speak thai and become budists. Well this will never happen ,this is so unfair ,they will rather die . So all they do is to try to get back what is theirs. Only sollution is to give those provonces back to the rightfull owners.But they wont loose face on this ,because they gave away parts of thailand on 14 different occasions and Rama5 said this was enough ,no more land could be given away. I hope they win .But the chanse is small,look what happened in Ireland,Yougoslavia,mozambique,korea ,Vietnam.......... And i hope not to read those ignorant comments

Nearly every country ww has some history of shifting alliances. You can't pick an arbitrary time in the past and declare 'this is how the property should be divvied up.' This is now. Bkk governance is not perfect, bet it does allow religious freedom (which is more than Saudi or China allows).

seems no many readers know the facts about the south ? In 1786, Siam (as Thailand was then called) expanded its influence(stole) to include Patani and thus ended the Patani kingdom’s reign as a regional power. In the process, Siam appointed leaders loyal to Siam to replace the existing rulers of Patani and this led to the isolation of existing elites. This historical annexation of the south serves as a more convincing reason behind the ongoing contention between Malay Muslims and Siamese. So they stole this muslim Kingdom ,kicked out the leaders and put their own puppet regime in. The original not thai speaking people and non budist were forced to speak thai and become budists. Well this will never happen ,this is so unfair ,they will rather die . So all they do is to try to get back what is theirs. Only sollution is to give those provonces back to the rightfull owners.But they wont loose face on this ,because they gave away parts of thailand on 14 different occasions and Rama5 said this was enough ,no more land could be given away. I hope they win .But the chanse is small,look what happened in Ireland,Yougoslavia,mozambique,korea ,Vietnam.......... And i hope not to read those ignorant comments

Nearly every country ww has some history of shifting alliances. You can't pick an arbitrary time in the past and declare 'this is how the property should be divvied up.' This is now. Bkk governance is not perfect, bet it does allow religious freedom (which is more than Saudi or China allows).

exactly.

and I can also add that the terroritory was before a hindu-buddhist kingdom, vassal to Sukhothai. So the buddhists were there first.

• Like 1

You would think that a militant attack on an army base of this size would be on the front page of world news. It's amazing how the Thais can muzzle the Thai press and smoke out the foreign press.

The Thai government is not dampening the press - at least not nearly so much as the World media which is most often in sympathy with Muslims believing that Islam is just a religion of peace and is trod upon by bullies like the Thai, Israel and others... rampant media bias in the USA ...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

"We learned of the attack in advance from defected militants," Pramote told Thai television - Why are they making these public announcements, you would think that it will slow down the defection rates or at least provides intelligence to the insurgents.

But can you believe they knew of it in advance or the casualty figures of 0-17?

Even if it is true, the day to day reality is the army don't have prior knowledge of the roadside bombs and ambushes that take out their men on a daily basis with hardly any casualties from the opposition. With a strategist like a Chalerm and army chiefs fat and happy on the bribe money from their divining sticks and blimps, what can you expect?

It's like the old saying "only a fool tells all he knows".

Loose lips sinks ships.. smile.png

They should know better than to attack Marines... hoorah..

Is the Yingluck govt. just going to pass this by, not do nothing?

Doesn't bode well for the morale of the troops defending Thaland.