Swedish Proposition: Send The Elderly To Thailand – Services Are Cheaper

webfact

Swedish proposition: Send the elderly to Thailand – services are cheaper

BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

ElderlySnowPlow.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A new controversial idea from Sweden brings export and import of services to a whole new level. The elderly in Sweden are an increasing group that requires much and expensive care. At the same time, recruiting manpower for the needed services is becoming a challenge. A study group in the Swedish town Nora that discussed health care needs in the future suggest that in stead of importing labour, it might be easier and cheaper to simply export the elderly.

The idea is quite simple. The elderly are becoming more and more. Wages are high in Sweden and there is a shortage of labour in this sector. In Thailand the services are cheap and the country is already popular among the elderly Swedes. The thought is to offer retired Swedes help in relocating to Thailand and then paying for the services they might require which would then be handled by Thai-workers. Thailand is a popular country for Swedish tourists while a large number a senior citizens move there permanently.

“It was a study group we had on health care needs in the future. We know that the number of elderly are increasing and that recruitment needs are great. This is a way to meet the problems we face. Not this year, but maybe in five or ten years,”"says Swedish politician David Stansvik who submitted the proposal.

It would be essential that there is no compromise in the quality of services. There is also the question of exploiting cheap labour to consider so the Thai-workers would be offered salaries above average.

“We have no objection to the proposal under consideration, and I have no objection to the proposal to purchase labour abroad, says Eva Thuresson, Chairman of the moderate party in Nora.

David Stansvik gives no straight answer on whether he himself would be willing to use the offer if it becomes reality.

“I think it is an issue that we are discussing with their relatives. In the proposal that I put there is an economic space for having a relative contribution to greet their loved ones if they want to choose such a care.”

However, it is still just and idea and nothing is yet in the works.

Source: http://scandasia.com...es-are-cheaper/

-- ScandAsia 2013-02-13

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Stansvik gives no straight answer on whether he himself would be willing to use the offer if it becomes reality.

Sounds kinda like the scum politicians back in the US. There are laws for them and laws for us peons. Guess who is on the short end of the stick?

"It would be essential that there is no compromise in the quality of services". There's the rub! Pretty much like the joke about how many "whatevers" does it take to change a light bulb! How many Thais does it take to provide "quality" care to an elderly farang?

• Like 2

Good idea?

I think there are many older people who today sits alone and abandoned in a nursing home in the welfare state of Denmark will like this idea.

These older people are not sick, but easily disabled (mobility difficulties, etc.) so they need daily help as a Thai may well give, and if there are other elderly people in the same situation, please send them to old age homes / nursing homes in Thailand and assign a few doctors who can inspect them if necessary.

I would like to be there...555 but I am also "elderly" and stay in Thailand already!!!

"It would be essential that there is no compromise in the quality of services". There's the rub! Pretty much like the joke about how many "whatevers" does it take to change a light bulb! How many Thais does it take to provide "quality" care to an elderly farang?

In my case only one !!!

Yermanee wai.gif

Just offer the pensioners full pension benefits, when they stay abroad, and they will be happy to relocate here volountarily.

I am from Denmark, and sadly will have to return to an EU country, if I want to receive full pension benefits. In Thailand I can only receive around 1/3 of the full pension benefits. (Half pension, no free health insurance, no reduced prices for pensioners and no accomodation co-payment).

• Like 1

It sounds like a pipe dream. They think that they know what one elderly person wants, let alone thousands of elderly people.

“I think it is an issue that we are discussing with their relatives."? This is wrong from the outset because there is no mention of any opinion poll of their own elderly about this idea and the feedback they might have gotten from this opinion poll.

This sounds like another rendition of government telling the people what's good for them. That means it is a recipe for disaster for the so-called recipients, and a means to add more money to the coffers of the Swiss and Thai politician, corporation and contractor.

When an idea for a solution is one-sided, I always toss it in the rubbish heap.

It is fine discussing this from the Swedish point of view , or that of any other nationality . Thailand is not so happy to have foreigners come to live here .

Sweden would have to provide BT800,000 for the bank account , an adequate monthly pension , a health insurance to cover hospital fees , doctors and prescriptions .

There would have to be an accord with the Thai government . From a foreigners point of view it could be good , so long as the financial backing is good enough .

For the most part the cost of living is infinitely less in Thailand and the elderly are less at risk from health problems in a warm climate , than freezing winter conditions .

• Like 1

It is fine discussing this from the Swedish point of view , or that of any other nationality . Thailand is not so happy to have foreigners come to live here .

Sweden would have to provide BT800,000 for the bank account , an adequate monthly pension , a health insurance to cover hospital fees , doctors and prescriptions .

There would have to be an accord with the Thai government . From a foreigners point of view it could be good , so long as the financial backing is good enough .

For the most part the cost of living is infinitely less in Thailand and the elderly are less at risk from health problems in a warm climate , than freezing winter conditions .

Don't Swedes have good retirement pensions? If so, forget about the need for 800K in the bank account. I think these retirees would be as welcome as any of us -- they bring money and jobs!

With the failings of the NHS in the UK regarding care for the elderly and the latest revelations that even the expensive private care homes are just as hopeless, I can see quite an industry kicking off. Germany and Sweden already floating the idea so how long before the UK government admits that there's no profit in elderly care within the country? Since 'care workers' are too expensive (and incompetent) to do an adequate job and UK immigration laws prohibit Thai (or other) low-cost carers easy visa and work permission it would make sense to load up a specially kitted out 747 with the old biddies and send them to LOS. I reckon Chiang Mai would be the ideal location for this new 'hub' of excellence or Hua Hin for those that need to be beside the seaside.

That will become a big movement and thus business in the furture. Only the talkes are louder than the action. If a German pensionist lives outside the EU he gets a cut in his pension. And the mandatory care insurance does not pay a penny.

So we have to wait a few years until politican wake up as they cannot solve the problem anymore. So long we can enjoy Thailand a less professional way.

Actually, thats a pretty good idea.

Really? Take folks used to colder weather and send them to a HOT tropical country?

Actually they will build special cages for them with ice and snow. w00t.gif

Edited by Morakot