Why Do Westerners End English Sentences With Thai Words

muythai2013

will not act thai however because besides my fantastic thai wife whose my best mate, most thai's I would certainly not wish to be like, I will not express here how I feel about most thai people, best not said as its quite harsh and not needed.

Wow - so just because you don't like Thai people, you expect other people not to?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will not act thai however because besides my fantastic thai wife whose my best mate, most thai's I would certainly not wish to be like, I will not express here how I feel about most thai people, best not said as its quite harsh and not needed.

Wow - so just because you don't like Thai people, you expect other people not to?

where does it say i dont like thai people, dont say that, dont assume things.

I will not express here how I feel about most Bratislavan people, best not said as its quite harsh and not needed.

Many have lost there culture. Do I like Bratislavan people?

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

I will not express here how I feel about most Bratislavan people, best not said as its quite harsh and not needed.

If you said you spend half your time in Bratislvia and love the country, culture and history but don't mention the people, I'd say that it's pretty obvious you don't like them. I bet you make no effort to learn Bratislavian and get annoyed when other foreigners do.

Edited by Neeranam

obviously you do, it says most, and that would mean you like some, the ones that are not labeled as most.

i wrote most, you copied it and wrote most, and still did not understand it.

most means i do not like most thai people, but their are some i like and some i love.

that does not in any way mean i dont like all thai people now, unless your a bit simple.

Wow. The things that can upset us. :)

I email a gal in Isaan a couple of times a day. She is fluent in English. However as we all know, sometimes the written word can be easily misunderstood and even offense taken when none is given. Add to that different cultures and native languages...

I find it very handy to add "kap" to the end of a sentence to be sure it is understood what my attitude is with what I'm saying.

I also find myself doing it in person just to be clear. I don't see a danged thing wrong with it.

We really don't have an English equivalent for that, that I'm aware of.

• Like 2

Wow. The things that can upset us. smile.png

I email a gal in Isaan a couple of times a day. She is fluent in English. However as we all know, sometimes the written word can be easily misunderstood and even offense taken when none is given. Add to that different cultures and native languages...

I find it very handy to add "kap" to the end of a sentence to be sure it is understood what my attitude is with what I'm saying.

I also find myself doing it in person just to be clear. I don't see a danged thing wrong with it.

do you know why there is not an English equivalent, because it was not needed.

If it was needed there would be one, English is a complete language, or at least I thought it was until I just learned that it's incomplete and communication cannot be completely made without adding the word "Kap".

If we were to add the word kup due to our languages failure to deliver kup would now be an English word, if you do it thats fine, its great, but i dont believe its for reasons that people say, such as their is no translation in English.

One of the classic examples, yes.thumbsup.gif To be more precise - kreng jai - เกรงใจ

kreng jai is an example of a thai term that few westerners actually understand and even fewer Thais can explain.

it took me years to get a grasp of it and its implications, not to mention how many levels it operates on.

I find it can only be explained by providing copious examples and anecdotes.

For fun ask a well-spoken thai to explain, then sit back and watch them struggle.

• Like 1

never ending faults or failure to bother reading, i did mention thai people.

no desire to act thai, spend half my time there, love the country, culture and history.

did you read when i wrote "will not act thai however because besides my fantastic thai wife whose my best mate"

slight oversight on you behalf yet again, my wife is a thai person yes, did you not see that.

If it was needed there would be one, English is a complete language, or at least I thought it was until I just learned that it's incomplete and communication cannot be completely made without adding the word "Kap".

If we were to add the word kup due to our languages failure to deliver kup would now be an English word, if you do it thats fine, its great, but i dont believe its for reasons that people say, such as their is no translation in English.

English is a complete language for explaining western constructs, and most things can be explained in any language.

you can explain schadenfreude or zeitgeist in English as well, but it is a verbose explanation. There is no single word that encompasses the entire concept.

If English is anything vaguely resembling complete it is because it is a highly derivative language.

just look at the number of words in that last sentence that are french or latin or both in origin in the previous sentence.

• Like 1

English is a complete language for explaining western constructs, and most things can be explained in any language.

you can explain schadenfreude or zeitgeist in English as well, but it is a verbose explanation. There is no single word that encompasses the entire concept.

If English is anything vaguely resembling complete it is because it is a highly derivative language.

just look at the number of words in that last sentence that are french or latin or both in origin in the previous sentence.

big difference between talking about the origin, thats a whole different story.

not even remotely related to this issue now is it.

• Like 1

One of the classic examples, yes.thumbsup.gif To be more precise - kreng jai - เกรงใจ

kreng jai is an example of a thai term that few westerners actually understand and even fewer Thais can explain.

it took me years to get a grasp of it and its implications, not to mention how many levels it operates on.

I find it can only be explained by providing copious examples and anecdotes.

For fun ask a well-spoken thai to explain, then sit back and watch them struggle.

I don't need to ask a well-spoken Thai to explain, because I do have a certain confidence in being able to explain it myself, potentially even better that the Thais do, just because I had to grow into it from the outside. When one's born with something and grows up with something, like fish and chips, or BBC, try to explain it to a pure clean brain... which a common Westerner is to a concept like < Thai script removed >

Edited by metisdead

The answer is simple.

So they appear to know Thai and can come on Thai visa and proclaim that they speak enough to get by :)

Next time a foreigner does that reply only in Thai and stay with Thai , actually gets pretty funny.

I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue

The answer is simple.

So they appear to know Thai and can come on Thai visa and proclaim that they speak enough to get by smile.png

Next time a foreigner does that reply only in Thai and stay with Thai , actually gets pretty funny.

I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue

Do many of these customers come back?

• Like 2

Kilgore, you actually should be more alarmed than you currently are - because that Kop that you hear is actually crap (silent r). So they are not actually referring to you as a policeman but something else. Think about it and perhaps it would be a good idea to learn a little bit of Thai.
ending "na" with every sentence because they think its cute, particularly when writing. See this on facebook for example. Some farang guys replies along the lines of "how are you today na?"

LOL

I also think its equally obnoxious when orientals put ka or kop after thank you

I feel the need to remind the males that i am not a police officer

I think you misunderstand; my thai is quite good. The comment is to make the point that when speaking english you should not use the word kop. I know what they mean but many dont like my dad who visited and asked me why people keep calling him na kop or ka

ending "na" with every sentence because they think its cute, particularly when writing. See this on facebook for example. Some farang guys replies along the lines of "how are you today na?"

LOL

The only Orientals would be Thais. I certainly don't think it's obnoxious, the opposite, in fact.

When people use the word falang to refer to westerners, i will in turn use oriental to refer to asians;)

LOL

The only Orientals would be Thais. I certainly don't think it's obnoxious, the opposite, in fact.

When people use the word falang to refer to westerners, i will in turn use oriental to refer to asians;)

Do Oriental people mind this?

Kilgore, you actually should be more alarmed than you currently are - because that Kop that you hear is actually crap (silent r). So they are not actually referring to you as a policeman but something else. Think about it and perhaps it would be a good idea to learn a little bit of Thai.

LOL

I think you misunderstand; my thai is quite good. The comment is to make the point that when speaking english you should not use the word kop. I know what they mean but many dont like my dad who visited and asked me why people keep calling him na kop or ka

It's not kop, it's krap or in some areas kap - never kop.

"Nothing more annoying then walking up to another westerner and hearing Sawadee Krup and then both proceeding to speak English."

Does it also annoy you when Thais answer their telephone with "Hello" and then proceed to speak Thai ?

No they don't they say "helllloooo" altogether different. rolleyes.gif

LOL

Check out the words to the song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZD0Z0CwRDJw

Are you serious? You are arguing about how to spell a word in English from another language with a completely different alphabet and sounds?

It is correct written any way as there is no standardization; although mine is the most correct phonetically (most transliterations are nonsense in this country) as the word family op; hop, pop, stop....just ask Dr. Seuss:)

So in my humble opinion...you are full of krap

If I were motivated enough I'd write it in Thai, but that's just not the case.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Are you serious? You are arguing about how to spell a word in English from another language with a completely different alphabet and sounds?

It is correct written any way as there is no standardization; although mine is the most correct phonetically (most transliterations are nonsense in this country) as the word family op; hop, pop, stop....just ask Dr. Seuss:)

So in my humble opinion...you are full of krap

If I were motivated enough I'd write it in Thai, but that's just not the case.

Now you are just being simply insulting.

I suggest that you go and get your ears checked and take your Father with you.

There is a standard transliteration system, although not ideal, it's a lot closer than the Kop that you keep writing.

The polite particle that males end a sentence with sounds nothing like Cop or Kop.

Your posts are utter nonsense.

The answer is simple.

So they appear to know Thai and can come on Thai visa and proclaim that they speak enough to get by smile.png

you tell me, you apparently speak fluent Thai as you stated beforecheesy.gif

The answer is simple.

you tell me, you apparently speak fluent Thai as you stated beforecheesy.gif

I don't know what that has to do with it. I don't make fun of customers in any language. cheesy.gif