King Cobra

Gary A

So why did they kill it ? :o

I wouldn't have killed it either but try to tell the villagers that. They kill anything big enough to eat. Before I put a block wall around the property the kids were killing every lizard they could find. I told my wife to tell them that I would give them five baht for every LIVE lizard they brought me. She told me that the old man they hunt the lizards for gives them ten baht for dead ones. He eats them and claims they give him power. :D

:D:D

post-17093-1141365105_thumb.jpg

any photo?

Having problems! IPSTAR SUCKS !!

Thats about the way I'd touch that critter, with a 10 foot pole. Big snake

Quickly glancing at your handle, 'mogoso' I read it as 'mongoose', probably because of the context.

I was clearly very much mistaken... :o

Well there is really little choice in the rural villages when a venomous snake like a cobra enters into the living areas other than to kill the snake. Ya just can't let things like that slither around people despite the majesty of nature.

post-17093-1141365105_thumb.jpg

any photo?

Having problems! IPSTAR SUCKS !!

Thats about the way I'd touch that critter, with a 10 foot pole. Big snake

Quickly glancing at your handle, 'mogoso' I read it as 'mongoose', probably because of the context.

I was clearly very much mistaken... :D

CRIKEY!! :o Nignoy

Most snake species will flee from anyone approaching them - unless cornered so they cannot escape.

So far as I know the King Cobra is the only Thai species which will NOT move away when it sees or senses someone coming.

Certainly it could be very dangerous but what a pity to kill such a large specimen - I wonder how old it was?

Patrick

And your job today is to find a cobra and find the truth in that. Remember to take the measuring tape. :D

No chance... i think we should get someone more deserving to test out this rumour...

how about... :o

at my weekend house the guy who cleans the area and takes care of everything took a 1and1/2 meter long snake with his hands (it was also a dangerous one) and brought it far away.

He explained that he is in a special connection with the tempel and not allowed to kill anything (he goes every day to the tempel).

Well there is really little choice in the rural villages when a venomous snake like a cobra enters into the living areas other than to kill the snake. Ya just can't let things like that slither around people despite the majesty of nature.

So far as I know the King Cobra is the only Thai species which will NOT move away when it sees or senses someone coming.

Sorry mate, you are very wrong, there are a lot of Thai species which will NOT move away.

a) Elephants

:D the soi dogs here

c) bar girls: if they see or sense you, they immediatly attack you or your wallet, and if you are not lucky you may suffer for decades (the medical term is call merriage). This might be the most dangerous species in Thailand but not only in Thailand. Immediate killing of them would be recommended but may cause hugh problems with local people. Normaly they avoid direct sun, so during the day in the sun you are save, but high danger in the evening/night.

Most snake species will flee from anyone approaching them - unless cornered so they cannot escape.

Certainly it could be very dangerous but what a pity to kill such a large specimen - I wonder how old it was?

Patrick

My friend told me that he was amazed at how fast that big of a snake could move. He said he was sure it could have gotten away if it had run and not gone after the people who were trying to hit it with the bamboo poles. He also said he wasn't the only one who had to go in the house to check his shorts.

Yep, you do get Spitting cobra in Thailand, that's the type I'd like to avoid most!

In fact I always think of living somewhere down south on an island as is the dream but I kind of like the moutainous areas, but I really don't want cobras in my house.

How do all you country folks avoid snakes on the property?

I'd be thinking dogs, don't leave rubbish in the garden, and a house on stilts, but is there any surefire methods of keeping them away? :o

in europe we live close to a forest and have during summer every 3 weeks a snake (pretty dangerous) in our garden, as well as the neighbours have some.

now noone kills it anymore, it is total old fashion and you theach children and look a bit after them if they are very young.

killing everything is not the way. and look at the statistic car/motorbike accidents and dead people due to snakes.

Why kill it ???

Before it bites a young child would be a good reason.

especially if it has entered a village area or populated area.

So, who's up for an unagi-don style feast tonight? :o

post-22736-1141380097.jpgpost-22736-1141380128.jpg

That's eel isn't dude? :D

in europe we live close to a forest and have during summer every 3 weeks a snake (pretty dangerous) in our garden, as well as the neighbours have some.

now noone kills it anymore, it is total old fashion and you theach children and look a bit after them if they are very young.

killing everything is not the way. and look at the statistic car/motorbike accidents and dead people due to snakes.

Why kill it ???

To the locals that's a 4 metre long snake burger just crawled into their village. If it was killed and not eaten I'd have to agree to a certain point with the 'non-killing' posters, but I think they are always eaten after.

at my weekend house the guy who cleans the area and takes care of everything took a 1and1/2 meter long snake with his hands (it was also a dangerous one) and brought it far away.

He explained that he is in a special connection with the tempel and not allowed to kill anything (he goes every day to the tempel).

I can understand why. :o

Yep, you do get Spitting cobra in Thailand, that's the type I'd like to avoid most!

In fact I always think of living somewhere down south on an island as is the dream but I kind of like the moutainous areas, but I really don't want cobras in my house.

How do all you country folks avoid snakes on the property?

I'd be thinking dogs, don't leave rubbish in the garden, and a house on stilts, but is there any surefire methods of keeping them away? :o

Walk noisily and teach kids to walk noisily - that way you hardly ever see them. There are lots of spitting cobras near my house - if I do see them near, or if a neighbour calls me for assitance, I walk slowly towards the snake and "herd" it away into more remote brush away from housing. If I go too fast and it rears up, back off a little, wait, then continue herding.

Anyway, a bite from a cobra is not usually fatal, as during a defensive strike they try not to deliver venom - a little will get through, and can cause local necrosis, so it needs treating. They save their venom for hunting (when it would kill a human, but they don't hunt us).

I think the biggest threat is to dogs, which dumbly bark at them and end up getting spat in the face.

So, who's up for an unagi-don style feast tonight? :o

post-22736-1141380097.jpgpost-22736-1141380128.jpg

That's eel isn't dude? :D

Why kill it ???

To the locals that's a 4 metre long snake burger just crawled into their village. If it was killed and not eaten I'd have to agree to a certain point with the 'non-killing' posters, but I think they are always eaten after.

thats an argument, if an 4 meter long burger comes :D