Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

He explained that the TV clip really damaged the image of Thailand and requested that whoever posted it to remove it.

It was saturday night live, not 60 minutes. It's their job to poke fun. It's only embarrassing because it's true, get over it. As for the girls, most want a house, land and a new vigo, unfortunately you can't afford those things harvesting rice in Issan.

• Like 1

What Thailand should be embarrassed about is the plethora of extremely unattractive older Foreign (white) men who proliferate here like rednecks with little subservient slave girls from poor families. The range of ugliness of these types of men living here is appalling.

haha your so right. even the ugliest, fattest, grossest, oldest of men get laid here. why is this? BAHT!!!!!!!!!!

The VAST majority of Thai/Foreigner relationships end quite quickly. Thats a fact. Look up the numbers. You're cute personal anecdote and apologetics may sound nice but they don't mesh with the facts. Most of my friends who are married to Thais are either in bad relationships they want to get out of or are being hustled by the wife's family. All Thai women may not be that way, but there is a disturbing number who are and if you think it is no different from anywhere else you are either frighteningly naive or not living in reality.

I'm not naive, don't know who you think im apologising for I know what the realities of life are and not sure one or two sentences constitutes an anecdote. Yes there are lot of unhappy relationships here but you need to realise they are not all as bitter and dark as you wish to paint them.

• Like 1

Make it more easy Falang can open businesses ( no Work permits or other stupid regulations ) that Falang can have land on there name (like in the most other countries) then more investors will enter Thailand, the Falang creates more jobs.......and les girls/boys need to work in the prostitution industry. But maybe they are to late.........Birma is comming up with much better laws for Falang and cheaper.

Been all over the world and there is no other country where you will find more women willing to go with a man for money than Thailand. And if the truth is offensive to you I could really care less.

I have to agree. Never seen anything like it anywhere else in the world.

(Not that I've been everywhere yet)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The VAST majority of Thai/Foreigner relationships end quite quickly. Thats a fact. Look up the numbers. You're cute personal anecdote and apologetics may sound nice but they don't mesh with the facts. Most of my friends who are married to Thais are either in bad relationships they want to get out of or are being hustled by the wife's family. All Thai women may not be that way, but there is a disturbing number who are and if you think it is no different from anywhere else you are either frighteningly naive or not living in reality.

I'm not naive, don't know who you think im apologising for I know what the realities of life are and not sure one or two sentences constitutes an anecdote. Yes there are lot of unhappy relationships here but you need to realise they are not all as bitter and dark as you wish to paint them.

Of course they are not all as bitter and dark, I am in a good one myself, But I also realize women such as my wife are in the minority here in a big way. She hates Thai culture and its abhorrent treatment of women more than anybody. Everyone is complaining about old foreign men coming looking for Thai girls, but these same folks could care less about the fact its a culture where Thai men can pretty much legally beat the living hell out of their wives, where polygamy is everywhere and women are cast into the waste basket of society after age 29. If Thailand doesn't want so many of its women becoming prostitutes maybe they should start treating them with some dignity to begin with

Ok that I can agree with. Well most of it anyway.

Edited by Bluespunk

How about Thai people using the sex industry?

Isn't it easier to blame the Farangs rather than to see the whole picture?

In my view us farangs are a bit to blame. We come here with a view "ahh well what harm can it do" "they come with me and I give them money, everyone is happy". "the girl looks happy"

What we don't realise is that this line of work (unless they get lucky and marry or go abroad) after years of doing it will more than likely end up with the girl being mentally and physically in bad shape. Years of having sex with different men, lying, drinking, smoking and then the biggest pyschological problem from years of earning alot of money too easily and for not much effort is never good for the mind. So by their mid 30s they have either been lucky and met their knight or thats it, career over. Now they are mentally and physically ruined, they cant ever go and work in a normal job because after years of getting maybe 30,000+ a month there is no way the mind can work 5 times longer for 5 times less the wage. So the only option is to have a baby girl with a Thai guy who will probably be lazy, not work and eventually leave. And then guess what the whole process starts again.

This is really the process that has been going on since the Vietnam war where most of this all started and wasn't put down ever since. Now Thailand has a generation of girls and women who are unable to break out of the cycle.

So all in all i think the blame is a mixture but ofcourse Isaan in history has always been more neglected by Bangkok so its no surprise I suppose.

As with alot of problems and as proved by the story above Thai people are always more bothered about the exposure of a problem rather than the problem itself. As we all know Thai peole are unable to think long term. The long term benfit to getting rid of prostitution would ofcourse be great but all the time this industry is making an immediate income then Thais will always endorse and allow.

Shame

Hogwash. at least 85% of prostitution in Thailand is a domestic exchange. It's their culture that's to blame. Foreigners did not start this, nor do foreigners account for enough economically to account for growth in the industry.

I believe I said "a bit to blame"..................................... first sentence

Hope your not suggesting we are not to blame at all ?

Imagine for a second that all prostitution in Thailand stopped tomorrow. Do you think the girls would then be better off or worse off? Many of them would end up sitting on a farm in Isaan sleeping, eating and watching tv all day - just as many of their family members do as we speak. I wonder what long term damage that does to your brain? They would stay dirt poor, and so will their children.

I agree with you that if the girls had a bunch of options such as good schools and decent work, then that would be much better, but that is just not the case today, so to be honest with you, I do not know if me paying a girl to sleep with me is good or bad - for her?

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this article. Thought that's a big loss of face to throw that on the table.

Haven't met anybody yet, who thought a Thai massage is something good for your bones.

What would the country look like without them. Aren't they heroes?. Have to drive to Bangkok and stay there one night. Frightening..w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

"The question is, why has prostitution become so huge inThailand that it is now famous for it?"

Are you serious? You don't know? It may be illegal on paper, but in terms of reality it is not only legal but almost impossible to avoid. Laws mean nothing if they are not inforced. I can't even take my 6 year old daughter bowling without seeing 65 year old men groping and grabbing teenage hookers in their underwear. If a family wants to come to any of the cities in Thailand and not be exposed to prostitution, they'd better stay locked up inside their hotel.

"Thailand is a Buddhist country"

Thailand CLAIMS to be a buddhist country. I have studied buddhisim and very very very little, if any of the every day behavior in the populated areas of Thailand has anything to do with the teachings of buddhisim.

"He explained that the TV clip really damaged the image of Thailand"

I've said it before on here... It's always amazing how the actions and policies of the Thai's, especially the government, are never considered damaging to the image of Thailand.

Which part of Thailand is it that has teenage hookers in their underwear at a bowling venue?

The way families with impressionable young children would avoid being exposed to prostitution would be to avoid those areas. Why would you even consider taking your family there and then complain about it seeing it?

65 year old men seem to bother you, you do know that men of all ages, including yours, indulge in the industry's services? Maybe you were trying to suggest that 65 year old men in general are a danger to your children.

• Like 2

In my view us farangs are a bit to blame. We come here with a view "ahh well what harm can it do" "they come with me and I give them money, everyone is happy". "the girl looks happy"

What we don't realise is that this line of work (unless they get lucky and marry or go abroad) after years of doing it will more than likely end up with the girl being mentally and physically in bad shape. Years of having sex with different men, lying, drinking, smoking and then the biggest pyschological problem from years of earning alot of money too easily and for not much effort is never good for the mind. So by their mid 30s they have either been lucky and met their knight or thats it, career over. Now they are mentally and physically ruined, they cant ever go and work in a normal job because after years of getting maybe 30,000+ a month there is no way the mind can work 5 times longer for 5 times less the wage. So the only option is to have a baby girl with a Thai guy who will probably be lazy, not work and eventually leave. And then guess where that girl will be heading when she is 15/16......................and here the whole process starts again.

This is really the process that has been going on since the Vietnam war where most of this all started and wasn't put down ever since. Now Thailand has a generation of girls and women who are unable to break out of the cycle.

So all in all i think the blame is a mixture but ofcourse Isaan in history has always been more neglected by Bangkok so its no surprise that this is all convenient for Bangkok.

As with alot of problems and as proved by the story above Thai people are always more bothered about the exposure of a problem rather than the problem itself. As we all know Thai peole are unable to think long term. The long term benfit to getting rid of prostitution would ofcourse be great but all the time this industry is making an immediate income then Thais will always endorse and allow.

Shame

You really think the Veitnam War caused prostitution in Thailand?? Guess you don't live here then. As others have posted, a significant % probably as least 80% is to cater for Thais. Like all societies and countries prostituton goes way back in history. Many foreigners, business visitors and tourists come to Thailand and take advantage of what is already there. Do you really think the sex industry would stop if foreigner stopped coming (no pun intended!).

Must admit i'm getting a bit worried about peoples reading skills. No i didn't say that Vietnam caused prostitution. I was talking about a process that seems to have started since the Vietnam war when it comes to prostitution in tourist areas. I did also say in my very first sentence "In my view us farangs are a bit to blame"

Yes im sure there has always been prostitution. Im not sure how anyone can put a percentage of 80% to cater for Thais but there you go. Is there a researcher walking around Isaan with a clipboard ?!!! lol

Yes i agree foreigners have mainly taken advantage of what is already here but in the context of the topic we are talking about foreigners and tourist areas which is why i posted what i did.

and yes been living here for 7 years. Its a basic concept but just because you don't agree with my point of view doesn't lead to the conclusion that i don't live here. A illogical connection made too much on this forum.

Besides this is all good knock about stuff but the issue here is prostitution, does it matter what part of the world the human male comes from. Anyone who takes a prostitute, wherever they are from is endorsing and supporting this industry.

"This is really the process that has been going on since the Vietnam war where most of this all started and wasn't put down ever since'"

Maybe you need to read what you have written and make sure it conveys what you mean before thinking its others reading skills!!

Thai prostitution is not confined to Isaan! Have a look if and when you travel in the evening at the amount of bars, kareokes, entertainment centres etc that are for Thais. Applying the 80% pareato rules would seem reasonable. If you dig you will find some research carried out by Thai social scientists, but written in Thai.

Prostitution exists in all countries because the amount of clients - and I agree that everyone who takes a prostitute is both condoning and supporting the idea.

Of course they are not all as bitter and dark, I am in a good one myself, But I also realize women such as my wife are in the minority here in a big way. She hates Thai culture and its abhorrent treatment of women more than anybody. Everyone is complaining about old foreign men coming looking for Thai girls, but these same folks could care less about the fact its a culture where Thai men can pretty much legally beat the living hell out of their wives, where polygamy is everywhere and women are cast into the waste basket of society after age 29. If Thailand doesn't want so many of its women becoming prostitutes maybe they should start treating them with some dignity to begin with

How do you know your wife is in a minority? Please enlighten us to your research. How do you dedce everyone is complaining about old foreign men looking for Thai girls - did you survey everyone?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

The only thing that is going to change it is more, and more, and more economic development,) or the pooyais of Thailand having enough of the rest of the world sniggering at them, that they try to really ban it)

Every 3rd world, coming to 2nd world country has prostitution, it is the way it is. The overwhelming reason there are so many women involved in it, is because they can earn 25 to 45k per month, very easily. It will never be eradicated, but will only get smaller.

prostitution illegal? my toes are laughing cheesy.gif

At the moment Thailand still need male tourist to help feeding people back in the poor villages, until such time hereby more interesting attractions for family tourist and income of average Thai people growing then we may see lesser prostitution........but by then, lesser poor sex worker to send money and more sex worker enjoying easier life style coffee1.gif

Prostitution has been accepted in Thai culture for hundred of years, if not more.

There are so many small brothels around Thailand that has nothing to do with foreigners, that only have Thai customers.

And it has always been like this.

Foreigners came here and discovered what Thais do, and did the same, but as foreigners could pay more, you got more concentrated and organized sex industry as we see today in many popular holiday destinations.

Most of the girls, men and ladyboys that work with farang customers, are treated and paid much better then those who have only Thai customers.

But now Hippocrates are worried about the images to the rest of the world.

They should be more worried about the growing corruption in all official departments, and especially the police force. But what can you expect when they have an criminal on the run as their biggest hero and running the country with bribery from abroad.

This has a much more bad effect on the images among those who chose to travel to Thailand, and it is those who travel here that spend money and help the Thai economy, not those who never would have come here anyway, and use the bad image as an excuse.

The sex image is only important to “Hi-So” Thais that want the focus away from their corruption, scams and schemes, stealing money from the country, so they can keep their wealth growing, and looking down on honest working people like prostitutes and farmers.

How does Hippocrates, the ancient Greek physician, come into this thread?

The only thing that is going to change it is more, and more, and more economic development,) or the pooyais of Thailand having enough of the rest of the world sniggering at them, that they try to really ban it)

Every 3rd world, coming to 2nd world country has prostitution, it is the way it is. The overwhelming reason there are so many women involved in it, is because they can earn 25 to 45k per month, very easily. It will never be eradicated, but will only get smaller.

And every 1st world country has it too!

• Like 1

as Ive said before, if its so difficult for women in Thailand why to so many Thai men want to be women? a quick review of the travel sites shows, in the Pattaya area anyway, the main reason tourists arent returning isnt the prostitution, or even the scams, its the amount of rubbish on the beaches and in the sea

It is well known that being a prostitute in Thailand is considered a scornful job by Thai people in every level of society. But some people may tolerate or even defend prostitution, or see it as something honorable to entertain people in an erotic way.

What a bunch of ambiguous tripe. So, what's it going to be? Is it embarrassing or isn't it?

And who really cares what the Thais think? Even Thais think what they think, and even think they know what other Thais are thinking and yet each individual Thai does, feels or behaves according to whatever is on their mind; regardless and irrespective of anything.

On the outside Thais appear and behave a certain way. Getting them to confide honestly is about as rewarding as using a computer loaded with viruses. You can't make sense out of F.U.B.A.R.

What we don't realise is that this line of work (unless they get lucky and marry or go abroad) after years of doing it will more than likely end up with the girl being mentally and physically in bad shape. Years of having sex with different men, lying, drinking, smoking and then the biggest pyschological problem from years of earning alot of money too easily and for not much effort is never good for the mind. So by their mid 30s they have either been lucky and met their knight or thats it, career over. Now they are mentally and physically ruined, they cant ever go and work in a normal job because after years of getting maybe 30,000+ a month there is no way the mind can work 5 times longer for 5 times less the wage. So the only option is to have a baby girl with a Thai guy who will probably be lazy, not work and eventually leave. And then guess what the whole process starts again.

So all in all i think the blame is a mixture but ofcourse Isaan in history has always been more neglected by Bangkok so its no surprise I suppose.

Shame

Hogwash. at least 85% of prostitution in Thailand is a domestic exchange. It's their culture that's to blame. Foreigners did not start this, nor do foreigners account for enough economically to account for growth in the industry.

You selected a very appropriate name for yourself.

• Like 1

Shame

You selected a very appropriate name for yourself.

Who ?

This is not just a 'tourist' problem. The Thais seem to ignore the 'domestic' problem on the assumption that foreigners don't know about it. Every city in Thailand has various centres where sex is readily available.

Karaoke clubs, massage entertainment centres, etc. in every city and town in Thailand - catering not to foreigners, but to local Thais of every class.

What Thais may be more concerned about is the reputation that could be gained if foreigners started frequenting places like Ratchada where most of these huge entertainment complexes, up till now geared to service mainly Thai businessmen, and owned by prominent Thai businessmen, police, army and dare I say possibly people related to the government.

Even in high schools in smaller cities and towns where hardly any foreigners visit! This is not a farang caused problem. It is a Thai on Thai problem because of the lack of economic opportunities for the lower classes.

Edited by toysupra80

"The VAST majority of Thai/Foreigner relationships end quite quickly."

The vast majority of all relationships with westerners end quite quickly, no matter if a Thai is involved or not. If that was not the case, then how would the average westerner manage to have many relationships during his/her life?

Bearboxer

"This is really the process that has been going on since the Vietnam war where most of this all started and wasn't put down ever since'"

Maybe you need to read what you have written and make sure it conveys what you mean before thinking its others reading skills!!

Thai prostitution is not confined to Isaan! Have a look if and when you travel in the evening at the amount of bars, kareokes, entertainment centres etc that are for Thais. Applying the 80% pareato rules would seem reasonable. If you dig you will find some research carried out by Thai social scientists, but written in Thai.

Prostitution exists in all countries because the amount of clients - and I agree that everyone who takes a prostitute is both condoning and supporting the idea.

--

Well even if you don't understand the difference between the word "most" and "created" at least we have agreed on your last point.

Edited by rinteln

Shame

What I meant was Rinteln should have your name! Sorry about that.

Prostitution goes back in Thailand a lot further than most think. In fact its such an ancient job it probably goes back to the very beginnings of settlements in this area. basically its always been here!

It was made illegal in 1960 due to pressure from the United Nations. In 2003, the Ministry of Justice considered legalizing prostitution as an official occupation with health benefits and taxable income and held a public discussion on the topic. Legalization and regulation was proposed as a means to increase tax revenue, reduce corruption, and improve the situation of the workers. Unfortunately, nothing further was done.

The article is quoted as saying "a growing trend for male prostitutes is emerging" this statement is utter BS, when looking back in Thai history the amount of male prostitutes has dropped over the years, especially in the last 100 years from a period of time when having sex with a young boy was almost normal!

FYI. The legal age of consent in Thailand is 15 but when buying sex its 18 (consent and prostitution seems to be regarded in Thailand as two separate issues)

So, people (especially those professing to be journalists) please do some research before talking out of your backsides.

Edited by newermonkey
  • Like 1