Meteorite Hits Russia: Official

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems a little coinky dinky that there is a meteor show hours before the big one thats coming, if they are connected then you have to assume the big one is on the same path as the meteor shower

No you don't. But get your tin foil hat on just in case.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Russian Meteorite Not Asteroid Debris – Space Agency

MOSCOW, February 15 (RIA Novosti) – The meteorite that hit Russia’s Urals on Friday morning was not debris from the 2012 DA14 asteroid which is due to pass close by the Earth later the same day, the European Space Agency (ESA) said.

The agency’s experts confirmed there is no link between the meteorite and the asteroid, ESA said on its official Twitter, but provided no details of its analysis.

The 2012 DA14, which is roughly 50 meters (165 feet) in size, will pass 27,000 kilometers (17,100 miles) from the Earth – closer than satellites in the geosynchronous orbit, which is 36,000 kilometers.

I wonder how many satellites it will wipe out as it passes by?

MOSCOW, February 15 (RIA Novosti) – The meteorite that hit Russia’s Urals on Friday morning was not debris from the 2012 DA14 asteroid which is due to pass close by the Earth later the same day, the European Space Agency (ESA) said.

The agency’s experts confirmed there is no link between the meteorite and the asteroid, ESA said on its official Twitter, but provided no details of its analysis.

The 2012 DA14, which is roughly 50 meters (165 feet) in size, will pass 27,000 kilometers (17,100 miles) from the Earth – closer than satellites in the geosynchronous orbit, which is 36,000 kilometers.

Just the ones responsible for Thai Soaps and UK's Big Brother.

Maybe a old US spay satellite out of cotrol tumbling down?

Maybe you should stop speculating and postulating nonsense.

No mystery. No secret debris. No conspiracy. Is the reality that difficult to accept, that the earth is subject to asteroid and meteorite encounters? You can't control it so don't hope for neat and tidy explanations to assuage your inability to understand the reality.

I showed my wife the footage. She asked where did that come from? I pointed up and said up there in space. Where is that? she asked rolleyes.gif

If it ain't from Thailand, it don't exist eh. whistling.gif

I would be pissed if indeed the big un were to strike and they were keeping it from us to retain order... would want ringside seats, either somewhere above in a hot air balloon, or right underneath with a bottle of Jack. wink.png

• Like 2

Probably none. They know its route so any in the firing line can be relocated.

Okay so NASA warns us of the one thats not going to hit, but they either didn't know or didn't tell about the one thats going to hit. Sleep well tonight friends.

10 tons, that thing was only 2 or 3 cubicmetres in volume. Can't see them, too small. Rocks this size fall from the sky frequently, at least two came down within the last 5 years. One in the Sahara, one in South-America, both found. Most likely a few more that crashed in the oceans undetected. The small one and the large one passing by tonight have nothing to do with each other, we don't even have to look up where they came from. The earth travels at almost 30km per second around the sun, about 2.5 million km per day. If they came from the same direction, the large one would pass earth at a hugely greater distance than 27,000km.

Just clarifying terms below: So what we have been watching trailing through the sky in the vids is a meteor which becomes a meteorite only after impact.

What’s The Difference Between a Meteor, Meteorite, Comet, and an Asteroid?

Near Earth Object (NEO)
- Near Earth Objects are asteroids or comets that have orbits around the Sun that bring them close to the Earth. The actual definition of an NEO is a comet or asteroid whose orbit brings it close to Earth’s orbit.

Asteroid
- A relatively small, inactive body, composed of rock, carbon or metal, which is orbiting the Sun.

Comet
- A relatively small, sometimes active object, which is composed of dirt and ices. Comets are characterized by dust and gas tails when in proximity to the Sun. Far from the Sun it is difficult to distinguish an asteroid from a comet.

Meteoroid
- A small particle from an asteroid or comet orbiting the Sun.

Meteor
- A meteoroid that is observed as it burns up in the Earth’s atmosphere – a shooting star.

Meteorite
- A meteoroid that survives its passage through the Earth’s atmosphere and impacts the Earth’s surface.

In summation, an asteroid is a relatively small object out in space. When an asteroid breaks through our atmosphere and burns up, it becomes a meteor. If the asteroid manages to get all the way through our atmosphere and actually hits the surface of the planet, it is classified as a meteorite.

Source

If I recall correctly comets normally come from Oort cloud or Kupier belt, which are further away than our planets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuiper_belt

Asteroids are from between Mars and Jupiter. The place where one planet was supposed to be formed, but it never did.

Now it the time of the Asteroid 2012 AD14 flyby, and nothing did hap

That's for the asteroid flyby. It would be nice to hear how accurate was the real distance to the Earth compared to the calculated one. I'm still amazed how well NASA and other space agencies are able to calculate how the asteroids are going to behave as there is quite a many objects with their own gravity fields to affect to the equations.

Next few interesting events will be 2 comets which have possibility to be highly visible. These are coming later this year.

wonder what the 'ownership rights' are regarding any chunks of this that are recovered... if it falls on your own private land i guess its yours?

could be worth a fortune to whoever claims ownership... these tiny fragments were collected from a fireball last year...

Fragments_FMarchis-580x507.jpg

...and are valued at over $9000 US dollars. 3.5 times their weight in gold.

If I recall correctly comets normally come from Oort cloud or Kupier belt, which are further away than our planets.

http://en.wikipedia....rt_cloud<br />http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kuiper_belt

Asteroids are from between Mars and Jupiter. The place where one planet was supposed to be formed, but it never did.

Now it the time of the Asteroid 2012 AD14 flyby, and nothing did hap

just past 2.30 am and DA14 just went from 'approaching' to 'leaving' at around 27k km... could still crash with a geosync sat although unlikely as they are mostly along the equator and the thing is tiny... (DA14 is flying north south I think)

Very odd though that DA14 is said to be unrelated to the meteor in Russia this morning, not everybody seems to agree...

Excited to see the comet coming in a few months rolleyes.gif

PS: link re. realtime sat tracking... very cool! (from a TV user on the other DA14 thread...)

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=a2012da14#TOP

I am in Alaska at the moment and no reports, as of today, about objects falling from the sky in Russia. Usually Alaska gets information immediately of this type of possible danger as we all know, Russia is just out the back door......

UPDATE

Russian meteorite explosion injures 1200

Chelyabinsk, Russia: About 1200 people, including 200 children, were injured when a meteor streaked across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday.

Fireballs rained over a vast area as the explosion caused a shock wave that smashed windows and damaged buildings.

People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt the shock wave, according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1500 kilometres east of Moscow.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...0216-2ejim.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-02-16

Maybe a old US spay satellite out of cotrol tumbling down?

Maybe you should stop speculating and postulating nonsense.

No mystery. No secret debris. No conspiracy. Is the reality that difficult to accept, that the earth is subject to asteroid and meteorite encounters? You can't control it so don't hope for neat and tidy explanations to assuage your inability to understand the reality.

I heard it was a stolen tuk tuk from Patong full of Thai whiskey