Social Order' Takes The Life Out Of Night Life

sabaijai

Well its obviously not just about the pool, I was using an example, I kinda hoped people would have picked up on that. :D

Wasn't that hard. :D

Besides, would I have to buy a table and then bring in loads of players as well? :D

What about friends? :D

You'll find many Thai people disagree with the regulations as well, do you suggest they all move to foreign countries?

Most of them are following my suggestion, staying in their own country :o

Nothing to do with a sad life, I'm sure most people like to go out once in a while, and who's talking about drugs and sex here? Is that all you associate with Bangkok nightlife?

Of course not! There is still.............?...ah...um... Billiard?? :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we are being pedantic Patex :o I have to say if you play pool at any level then you need to get out their and play lots of different and quality players so a pool hall that's open to the public is better. That ok for you now, cleared it up?

I'm not whining about the nightlife, I just said it was better before and then of course all the posters jump in with the 'go out earlier/leave Thailand posts'.

Tell me honestly, did you think Thailand nightlife was better before the crackdowns?

Coz all I'm saying is that it was.

wowww what a long winded article ,this is a longish reply but covers 10 times the ground ,

she could of got that already well known old news information into a couple of lines,

is the writer a journalist perchance ? if so it should of been shorter , more a novelist I would say,

all the new rules are flaunted,

I had heard that the clean up, ie, closing bars at 1am , 12pm in some areas's [in particular the Chaing may gay bars] was instigated because Mr Thaksin himself didnt want to see his own children corrupted by the night life going on's ,

regarding Singapore-------its a lively gay scene ,however the singapore government who ever they be, are Anti every thing gay ,and anti every thing assumed to be sexually perverting ,good old respect and morals .

Thailand is a loser in one way ,

however it has actually increased it's tourist numbers greatly by promoting its self as a family orientated resort, In Russia THailand was voted most popular foriegn destination last year,

anyone seen the Jomtien hotels and the beaches , They are chock a block with russian families who have children, and they dont want to stay out all night, mind you they drink a fair old wallop during the day on the beach, Pattaya and other resorts have never been so busy, its only the pervs piss heads complaining

whats been lost in Bangkok bars for what they are worth has been gained 10 fold ,

did any one hear the rumour that the Chinese government had given the Thais ultimatum's that if the -sex trade wasnt cleaned up that they would barr chineses tourist's from visiting Thailand in number's,

I dont think teens should be deprived of well run entertainments -but lets face it if you over 30 years and havent had your fill of alcohol by midnight there is somthing wrong with your way of thinking ,or else you are just wasters and losers in life

why do folk need to get totally pissed out of their brains , as they generally do in theses place's,

perhapes the thais and singaporean governments are right ? but the brain dead piss heads wont agree !!

for tourists, whats the piont of going away to be sick in bed all day with hangovers ,

In my books a tourist is a person who travels around a place sight seeing !!!!!!! you know the grand palace ---------and all the other great sights THailand has to offer ,

BUt the piss heads and sex pervs -ahhhhhhhh ----------

just to add i think its high time that thailand checked people credentials before allowing entry into trhe country -as America does, No sex offenders or convicted Criminals ,

, its on the cards anyway ,

I to would go open a new account as a newbie from an internet cafe to make a post like this! :D Have you ever been to Russia or China? I fear not :D what a load of c**p everyone to their own I suppose. Maybe hiding behind the newbie status gives you a certain amount flair to..... oops sorry no flaming :o

bkkmadness,

Why you not try to become a member of a venerable Billard club? This would be a place were you can meet some serious players. This only besides :D .

About the "nightlife" before and after the crackdowns I have to believe you.

I had my partytime back in Germany (and it was all and only about sex&drugs&R&R :o ) until I got tired of it.

Maybe the same thing actual happens to you?

Except the Billard, what are your criteria for a good nightlife? Is it the bare quantity or also quality?

How do you define quality?

Patex

bkkmadness,

Why you not try to become a member of a venerable Billard club? This would be a place were you can meet some serious players. This only besides :D .

About the "nightlife" before and after the crackdowns I have to believe you.

I had my partytime back in Germany (and it was all and only about sex&drugs&R&R :o ) until I got tired of it.

Maybe the same thing actual happens to you?

Except the Billard, what are your criteria for a good nightlife? Is it the bare quantity or also quality?

How do you define quality?

Patex

Really for me, its just simply about having a bit more choice. I too had all my real partying back in London and through Bangkok some years back and I don't go out so much now at all, coz it does get a bit boring, but when I do a choice of places is great.

For example, I quite enjoy a few beers down Suam Lum Night Bizaar, but at 12 30 its last orders and go home, whereas I could do with a few more hours really. I don't often get there until late coz the gf works and all that.

I suppose quality nightlife just means a bit more variety, I'd like to know I could choose between an Suam Lum, a pool bar or a few different nightclubs after a certain hour and you simply can't now.

Even down the road from me you have the Pump Up Pub on one side, with a nice variety of beers and some music, but at 2 am, its across the road for heinekens or chang at some the disco/restaurants there. Now I like going across the road and you can drink there until 5-6am if you want to, but be nice to know I could stay in the Pump Up Pub as well you know?

As I say, no real whining about it, but it is an annoyance when living here and I can't wait until they up the hours again which I think they will do in certain areas.

I see,

Huh :o London? Not comparable with German province... Than, a bewildering, rich variety, like you are used to, must be fine for you.

I think long openingtimes are necessary just for the decision what to do and where to go :D:D .

Good night, Patex

:o

No "news" in this article :-) The author speaking/understanding Thai should have still been able to be out at fun wild discos until at least 6am.

Without being restricted to sidewalks or second stoty black curtained .....

But nothing compared to the good ol' days right? In fact a lot of these late night discos are bars are just plain crap, and even then nights happen when no booze is allowed. Even Ratchada soi 6 was closed down for 2 nights the other week.

Life must be sooo hard for people that just come to Thailand to whore around and drink til 6am! Losing the tourist $$ from guys that only spend it in discos and ladybars certainly is made up by getting tourists that actually see daylight!

That being said, those of us that live here .. should ... a) be able to find a place to party anytime from about noon until 6am. and :D speak enough Thai to accomplish that ;-)

I certainly have never had trouble being out at places with a good crowd and great music any night that I have wanted to ...

It's so tiresome to deal with people that can't be bothered to read through all the posts on the thread and just rehash old statements always of course chucking in the 'whores' comments. :D

The point is, there..........is..................less..................of...............a.....

.......selection.............of bars..................to..................go......................to............

.....after...............a................certain... time (is that slow enough for you to understand dude?) and thats annoying for people that live here much more than tourists I would have thought.

It doesn't matter if you are fluent in Thai, its a fact that remains.

Apparently you were not talking slowly enough. You just make the point that you want your way and it is not fair that it is any other way BUt your way.

I live here. Have continuosly for a few years and tacked a couple of more years on before that in long term stays. You won't find me whinging on and on that I can't stay out late drinking and dancing and even playing pool. why? because I can. Wait ... maybe the problem is you don't have a car and are too cheap to pay for taxis late? Because if you did then who could possibly complain about the number of places available? :D

but really I do get your point, you can't do what you want to do ... when you want to do it ... where you want to do it! :D I hope for your sake and that of all the other punters that they just make it a 24/7 party country regardless of the consequences! :D

Why should bars open 24/7? In your opinion, is that a political and social choice that should be on a political manifesto in a modern democracy as a priority? Is that the future of mankind? 24/7 drink and booze?

Do you ever question the basis of your personal entertainment? what's behind ?

If not, I recommend: Susan Hunter's "AIDS in SE Asia: A continent in peril". You'll get the point then of a 2AM closure.

Because you see, the 2AM closure time is not just to annoy the expats and party-tourists, that's the tip of the iceberg. SE Asia is sitting on a time bomb which if not stopped will have direr consequences than you being annoyed.

So does this mean vyou can only catch AIDS after 2.00AM????

Oh MY

MYSTIQUE IS CLOSED ???? :o

my best place to hang out closed ????

anybody tell me it's not true ! I used to like going there for a dance.... I don't believe it ! :D:D

I am not a drinker, drugaddict or looking for someone to **** with just like going out flirting and dancing, nothing of the prohibited and I think there are people like me too who would have just a couple of drinks and mostly come to socialize and meet new people and have fun....

I live here in Bkk for 13 years and night life really became boring here... I usually got dressed to go out only at 11 pm and would be ready to go by midnight ( IT'S NIGHTLIFE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! ) now it's wouldn't be even worth dressing up ... how sad...

I don't go to Patpong - Ratchada or RCA not my style.... this was crazy since long time ago...

now it's sad...

PS

BTW I am Russian and believe me in Russia everyone thinks that Thailand is THE place for sex... abandance of Russian families in Pattaya can be explained by very cheap tours to Pattaya ( on New Year days you could buy a tour for 300USD 7 days in Pattaya + air ticket form moscow and back )

it's now way that Pattaya of Thailand can be proclaimed family resort for Russians everyone can see it's not, just cheap Charlies and horny guys travel there, you say Thailand to a russia and they will ask you about thai massage.... the soapy one...

Anyone who thinks Thailand is on the up for tourism must be as blind as a bat. All the new tourists.The Chinese, Koreans, Russian do the cheap package tour, very little is spent outside the hotel............ As for the nightlife ........ it's sanitised ...... Fact....... Sure there are places still to go ...... but now it's an effort just to find somewhere to have fun ?

Ask anyone here before 2000 I doubt anyone will tell you it's more busy or fun now ......... You can include Thai's in that.

I'm sure some posters will love the fact that Thailand is becoming more responsible, civilised, westernised, sanitised.......

Thailand IMO is running the risk of losing it's Identity of what makes it quintessentially Thai........ But hey thats progress !

"Thailand IMO is running the risk of losing it's Identity of what makes it quintessentially Thai........ But hey thats progress !"

Dude ... if you think 24 hour discos in BKK are 'quintessentially Thai" then you are just sad!

Who said anything about 24 disco's ? or bKK not me......... There is a lot more to Nightlife than just disco's & bars & BKK...

There is also a thriving economy that revolves around the night scene.. Or hasn't that occurred to you. :o

If you read another of my posts in this thread you may get an idea of what I am referring to..... :D

Who said anything about 24 disco's ? or bKK not me......... There is a lot more to Nightlife than just disco's & bars & BKK...

There is also a thriving economy that revolves around the night scene.. Or hasn't that occurred to you. :o

If you read another of my posts in this thread you may get an idea of what I am referring to..... :D

I concur - vendours make a healthy profit around the nightlife sector. (perhaps more than in the day)

OK .. so tell me what is "quintessentially Thai" that is gone due to bars closing at 2? The economies around bars should do BETTER if people are leaving at 2 and not done being around their friends yet ... or wait ... did you mean THOSE economies?

Apparently you were not talking slowly enough. You just make the point that you want your way and it is not fair that it is any other way BUt your way.

I live here. Have continuosly for a few years and tacked a couple of more years on before that in long term stays. You won't find me whinging on and on that I can't stay out late drinking and dancing and even playing pool. why? because I can. Wait ... maybe the problem is you don't have a car and are too cheap to pay for taxis late? Because if you did then who could possibly complain about the number of places available? :D

but really I do get your point, you can't do what you want to do ... when you want to do it ... where you want to do it! :D I hope for your sake and that of all the other punters that they just make it a 24/7 party country regardless of the consequences! :D

Apparently I wasn't. As I said, not whinging about it, just prefered it the other way, it seems its you who is whinging. :D

Yep, those taxis so expensive, wow you must be the rich farang with the Hi So friends. Can we car pool? :D

Ok,regarding late night pool tables, once again, there is no where of a decent standard to play pool after a certain hour. If you can name a place with professional tables, balls, and decent cues that is open at 4am let me know coz I'll be there. :o

Of course, I wanna go somewhere where I don't catch AIDS for drinking after 2 am as well! :D

I suppose it depends on what quality of nightlife you are used to and entertains you really, some people are happy with a lot less than others. :D

OK .. so tell me what is "quintessentially Thai" that is gone due to bars closing at 2? The economies around bars should do BETTER if people are leaving at 2 and not done being around their friends yet ... or wait ... did you mean THOSE economies?

How about the life and ALL businesses that used to rely on the night trade. But as you asked how about the old lady at the end of our soi who used to sell Jokk to the taxi drivers etc 86 years old and open there for the past 25 years.... can't sell in the day not allowed....... Now you may not say thats quintessential but I do.

I don't know where you come from but like most countries & places there is a distinct cultural flavour that is that place ...

IMO that is now becoming a thing of the past. Have you ever been out with Thai friends ?....... Do you have any idea what is around generating money after dark other than the obvious ?.....

And no they are not doing better ....... why don't you ask them for yourself......... And no I don't mean Just THOSE economies but they are a large part it of the night economy of course.....

You profess to be a veteran JD so do yourself a favour and look around, besides I know You agree with me but you are just being picky ... dude... :o

saying you aren't whingeing is not the same as not whingeing. But if you think that saying something makes it true ... there may be a job opening up soon in Sr Gov't!

In fact JDinasia, coz this topic is kinda boring lets just finish it now.

I said that Bangkok nightlife was better for me personally when the bars were open later, though I agree the nightlife is still good now.

Agree or disagree?

It was better when it was out in your face 24/7, don't think anyone can disagree with that. However fun can be still had - just a bit harder these days.

Amen

Agreed. :o

No Oak ...I don't agree ... still tons of stuff going on at night. (And bangkok is NOT all there is to Thailand)

I get a kick out of wandering around late at night/early in the morning when I am sober! While the social order crackdown may have caused a small reduction in her sales. I doubt it caused enough to shut her down. Maybe she stopped because she's 86?

Have I ever been out with Thai friends? ummm duh! Do I know? yes. (Do I speak read and write Thai? yeah a fair middlin' ) And the "those economies ..." ... Hel there aint a place around those sections you can't stay out (inside) until 6 and have a drink ... dance ... play pool ... or get a room for a couple of hours to sleep :o

I do understand you guys missing the "good old days" but farnkly I don't see that big of a difference except to the tourists a bit ... and they can cope with it :-)

*sigh* Whats the point ..... I gave you an exmple...... There used to be a steady stream of people during the night at her stall, now after 2 am there is nothing.. She starts at 11pm and is done by 2am... takings during the last hour of 1-2am was up about 10%. overall her takings were down by over 50%. This year she closed.... She's been there for 25 years !and yeah she's old but in her own words "close quick kill my business"

Jd if you can't see the difference then i'm real surprised. Everyone else can.

still don't see it as a result of 2am closings ... but maybe you live in Nan or something!

I could see a great reason to whicge and complain about things here that look related but I do not think are.

I think much of what we see happening is more a function of the changes in mentality brought about by the "have 3 jobs, make more money" crowd than anything else in Bkk There is a degradation in something I think of as quintessentially Thai ... the concept of sanook. No I don't mean as practiced by the sex pats and tourists ... or even the reident farang. I mean a certain joy de vivre that is leaving BKK faster than it can be replaced. That is what I miss! Not a 4 am disco in Sukhumvit

Somehow I don't think people will be turning up in droves in Singapore.

After a quarter of a century of repression Singapore is relaxing it's entertainment laws...they know where the money is....and Bkk? Well thyt seem to be going in the opposite direction...they will of course lose their tourists in the end if they continue down this road.

I seriously doubt that Singapore will ever relax its laws to the extent it will be like what Thailand used to be before Thaksin. Saigon is very much like Bangkok in the early to mid 90s, and I certainly wouldn't hurry to party in a country that considers relaxing its laws by allowing the use of chewing gum in pharmacies a concession to foreign tourism and trade.

I seriously doubt that Singapore will ever relax its laws to the extent it will be like what Thailand used to be before Thaksin. Saigon is very much like Bangkok in the early to mid 90s, and I certainly wouldn't hurry to party in a country that considers relaxing its laws by allowing the use of chewing gum in pharmacies a concession to foreign tourism and trade.

Chewing gum thing was because to get the FTA with USA, the state where Wrigley chewing gum is from had a member of the FTA negotation team; nothing to do with tourism, everything to do with self interest of that negotiator.

Singapore is so crazily expensive to club in that it is quite a different scene to here.

Zouk etc are ###### good, but the DnB they play there is not so much my thing; however it seems there needs to be some balance which was somewhat promised by the zoning, and hasn't been carried out yet.

Nonetheless, it used to be crazy to have big clubs pounding music until 6am in residential neighbourhoods, I think we can agree on that. (e.g. RCA 2).