Straight Swap - Oz For Thailand - Who's Up For It ?

MrWorldwide

Meet me at Swampy in April 2014 - I'll give you my NSW driver's licence, medicare card and some Kevin Bloody Wilson CDs : all you could possibly need for your new life in Sydney. Free health care, the wind in your hair and immediate grasp of the language / customs of a developed country. The only payment I require is your tears. Joyful tears, of course ...

dirtyrotten.jpg

Is it a full moon tonight?

I feel the creative juices of the Forum at work now.

Where I come, from it's called LOOPY

Sadly, he thinks the force is with him.

EDIT:- Do not play the clip if offensive language offends ... rolleyes.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Tears are usually produced when you experience an overwhelming emotion, like sadness or extreme happiness … I’m closer to sadder then happiness ... like cutting onions

Most of us have been there. Your not alone. thumbsup.gif Edited by transam

Great contribution to the forum, care to explain or shed more light on the post?

1. First and foremost, its an attempt at humor. You remember humor, don't you ? If nothing else, surely the photo of Steve Martin had to broadcast it 200m high.

2. It was a mild swipe at the 'get me outta here !' posts I see on a daily basis from expats who seem to dearly want their developed, nanny state and the judicial system that goes with it magically transported to Thailand. Given the 'no thanks !' replies above, however jovial, it's pretty clear that bags aren't exactly being packed and plans made. Most know, deep down, that what they have cant be replicated anywhere else - definitely not in a nanny state with a form for everything ....

The majority of responses to this thread seem to indicate that people here are prepared to have a laugh, even if my OP wasn't a rib-splitter, but you seem to have your serious pants on today. I'd get your mum to change those when she gets a moment.

I'm leaving Aus on Monday 18th, after living for the past 3 years in a small NSW country town and finishing my degree. My Thai wife and our son have been with me the whole time. I have paid my dues now, and am really RELLY looking forward to getting back. Its not all beer and skittles over there either but the happiest days of my life so far have been in Thailand....and no, I am not talking about alcohol and bar girls, simply that I prefer the lifestyle over there, to that I would have here.

Look out Thailand....I'm coming back!

I'm leaving Aus on Monday 18th, after living for the past 3 years in a small NSW country town and finishing my degree. My Thai wife and our son have been with me the whole time. I have paid my dues now, and am really REALLY looking forward to getting back. Its not all beer and skittles over there either but the happiest days of my life so far have been in Thailand....and no, I am not talking about alcohol and bar girls, simply that I prefer the lifestyle over there, to that I would have here.

Look out Thailand....I'm coming back!

Way to go - that's next Monday ! Two more sleeps - sweet Jesus, except for the wife and son part, that is exactly where I want to be - just 13 months (!) and it will happen. I'm going to leave via Perth - having never been to WA - but stepping into the Departure Lounge at Kingsford-Smith would be just as good. Even the flight - an ordeal I normally dread - seems like a big part of the adventure, but it's the prospect of stepping out into that stale air to get a taxi at Swampy that is the moment I'm really looking forward to.

I hear what you are saying re 'alcohol and bar girls', but even though that is part of my landscape in Thailand, it's not what I'm dreaming of atm. Just being able to go for an early morning walk and see the sights (new and old) is a big part of the attraction for me, and I suspect that it's something that many expats now take for granted. I get that - have lived in every city on the Eastern Seaboard here in Oz and it's easy to get jaded with the 'same old same old', but Bangkok and even Patts continue to throw up surprises - good and bad - down every Soi. On one 3-month stint in LOS, I had to make do on 2-300 baht a day for most of the week, and my 'entertainment' options were limited to long walks up and down Suk - amazing what you can amuse yourself with when you dont have 6K baht to spend each day.

All the best for your life in LOS, and you can go to be tonite knowing that another Aussie envies the living *$! out of you ! :D

Arriving/departing via Perth when you've been spoilt by the luxuries of Sydney and Melbourne (even Brisbane just beats Perth) is a pain in the rear!

The transfer between international to domestic or v/v seems to take a freaking eternity.

Having only just permanently relocated to Bangkok, for me it didn't really become real until the captain of my flight came on the p/a to inform us we were beginning our decent into Swampy.

That was when it hit me.

Yes the alcohol and bargirls are definitely part of the landscape and, dont get me wrong it just adds to the interest for me...its just not a particularly big part of my life.

Anyway, I lived there for 9 years as degreeless TEFLER and that started to get old. I had to come back here, and I am very glad i did. I have achieved precisely what i set out to do. I want to go back now and start again, get legal, do the ******* TCT tests and set myself up for real this time. I have had to focus my mind like never before but, it was made easier by the fact that I knew exactly what i wanted to do. Not a day went by that i did not think about going back.

Yes, you can envy me but use it to stoke the fire of your desire to go back. I am REALLY looking forward to the change of scenery...couple of beers....couple of bargirls...Ha!

Goodluck to you.

The blether's reply explained it perfectly.

I just wish there were more cute guys who weren't so short. Oh well, I don't want a relationship right now anyway.

OK - by 'short', I'm assuming you mean 'not tall'. Australians may not be the tallest race on earth (that would be the Danes, IME), but I wouldn't describe us as 'short'. Or 'cute'. More ruggedly handsome in a totally inebriated, completely undomesticated fashion.

For every farang who lives here on a permanent basis, with all of its lumps, this place is as good as it gets! Just don't think of the Phoo Yai's, the potiticians, the noise or lack of "real" love of country with the locals! It makes me angry, sometimes, to see the way local people just throw or leave litter and rubbish everywhere...I just keep my patch clean and move on! thumbsup.gif

Haven't seen Rod for many years, and I live in a part of Oz where all the 'golden oldies' routinely crop up in ads for various RSL clubs and so on. He was much better than his 80s contemporary, Austen Tayshus, who (for all his 'Australiana' BS) turned out to be an extremely bitter Jewish guy who couldn't stop banging on about the Holocaust. I agree that we should never forget what the Nazis did (to the entire world), but for a comedian to have such a major chip on their shoulder totally negates any 'humor' in their act for mine. His 'career' has clearly suffered as a result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Rude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austen_Tayshus

Went back to OZ last year, near Geelong, wife and 2 small kids [ kids born in OZ.

We were supposed to be staying for a month, first 2 weeks great, catching up with family and friends. After that it went down hill fast, everyone was working, no time to spare for socializing. Couldn't afford to eat out much too dear. Just taking the kids to the pool cost big time, everything cost. Had a meal on Eastern beach nothing fancy, 3,000 Baht.

Ended up sitting in my mum's house watching TV and drinking cheap red, we couldn't wait to get back on the plane.

Life is different there when you are working, you don't have spare time to spend money, few beers on the weekend and that's it.

Thailand for me, have no plans of ever going back for more than a few weeks, if I can afford it.

Think Thais think you are an ATM, they are amateurs compared to the Australian Government, Jim

Went back to OZ last year, near Geelong, wife and 2 small kids [ kids born in OZ.

We were supposed to be staying for a month, first 2 weeks great, catching up with family and friends. After that it went down hill fast, everyone was working, no time to spare for socializing. Couldn't afford to eat out much too dear. Just taking the kids to the pool cost big time, everything cost. Had a meal on Eastern beach nothing fancy, 3,000 Baht.

Ended up sitting in my mum's house watching TV and drinking cheap red, we couldn't wait to get back on the plane.

Life is different there when you are working, you don't have spare time to spend money, few beers on the weekend and that's it.

Thailand for me, have no plans of ever going back for more than a few weeks, if I can afford it.

Think Thais think you are an ATM, they are amateurs compared to the Australian Government, Jim

Sounds just like England only we've got lousy weather, an even lousier exchange rate.... oh... and The Ashes.

• Like 1