Divorce Or Wait?

Iena

Here I am, even if my first post is not so pleasant, i believe it has a sort of interest...

Married one year ago with my girl in the Thai Consulate in China, after 2 years of cohabitation in the very same country (together with her child from a previous relationship with a Thai).

She was pregnant and I took my responsibility in consolidate our union which was, at that time, pretty amusing.

Unfortunately (or not?) we lost the baby. In the last 4 months period she started to act crazy, so I decided to send her back, not without helping her (about 250.000 Baht + 100.000 given just before that was part of the arguments).

Point is that now I have the chance to go to work in Thailand. She wants to come back living with me, I do not.

I would like to get a divorce, but I do not want to sign for alimony (she asked and I agreed 20.000 Baht per month, as far as my working condition let me do it), since I am yet not sure of the possible development of my career in Thai (even if it is a solid professional work).

I am going to help her, but I do not want to state it, that's the point.

Moreover, she just bought a house and a car, without my full consent (at least for the car) and any signature from my side. She got a loan through her parents/friends name.

What I am afraid of is that in case things get ugly with the loan and I already started to work in Thai, saving some moneys, yet not divorced, does she have any chance to claim part of my savings?

i promised another 100.000 Baht within the end of this month... I really do not want to use these money as a 'blackmail' to obtain the divorce without conditions.

I want to solve it in the smoothes possible way, but I am firm on my position...

Any suggestion will help, i think is not time yet to give money to a lawyer, yet from China would be difficult. But I will move to Thai in April, May the latest... and time runs quick!

Thanks

Everything you have earned, bought or loaned is split equal in a divorce.

If you have savings from before you where married they are your private property.

There is no alimony in Thailand.

Ok, fine. Point is... We stated in the contract, because the officer asked us to choose the two options, that we are married under the regime of separation of property!

Does this statement discharge me from the liability you refer to?

Thanks

Keep your savings outside Thailand.

That is a good suggestion. However, I am not concerned about my actual savings, but of the income I will earn in Thailand. It is difficult to transfer those money abroad on a regular base and anyway there will be evidence from the employer of the monthly local credit...

What a mess!

Edited by Iena

As said there is no alimoney in Thailand, unless you agree to it yourself. Up on divorce one splits the gains made during the marriage, which includes any debts.

You claim to have married under a prenuptial agreement, whcih would mean that you are not liable for eachothers debts and do not share your profits made during the marriage. But check with a lawyer the docuemnts you signed, as I have not heard of "a box to tick" to indicate if you have a seperation of assets. Prenuptials are usually very specific.

You claim to have married under a prenuptial agreement, whcih would mean that you are not liable for eachothers debts and do not share your profits made during the marriage. But check with a lawyer the documents you signed, as I have not heard of "a box to tick" to indicate if you have a seperation of assets. Prenuptials are usually very specific.

Thanks for advice. Actually, it was not a 'box to tick' but a statement attached to the marriage contract, written all in Thai. I have to go ahead with a translation first, then I will get a clearer picture.

I have to admit that I did not took the correct precautions in advance... and now i am paying my dues...

The thing that scares me the most is the fact that I cannot predict what is going to happen once in Thailand. I want to start my new career with confidence, not with the fear of possible troubles...

Any more suggestion?

Cheers

Unfortunately (or not?) we lost the baby. In the last 4 months period she started to act crazy, so I decided to send her back, not without helping her

This just blows my mind. Your wife has a mis-carriage, goes through a tough time, so you kick her out and want a divorce? Wow

Unfortunately (or not?) we lost the baby. In the last 4 months period she started to act crazy, so I decided to send her back, not without helping her

This just blows my mind. Your wife has a mis-carriage, goes through a tough time, so you kick her out and want a divorce? Wow

IsaanUSA, I really squeeze the story, actually your interpretation is totally wrong.

She (we) lost the baby in Feb, our relationship was very good and stable until the end of the summer holidays.

Then she changed, becoming a trouble-maker, pretending more than what we can afford, lazy and so on...

I try to make it better, but it was not possible. I even had a stress peak (premature beat), went to the hospital alone, only answer I got back after informing her was a sms asking me if I would be back for dinner..... just to give you one example.

I had no choice and believe me, I was the one having a tough time...

i have to justify myself and my choices in front of nobody, but a clarification was a must for me, not to be mistaken.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude

Helloo this is Thailand, or Thailieland......wke up and stop paying her a cent, you dont have kids or anything and you may find another more suitable partner in the future, who i asure you will not agree with you dishing out cash to a woman who gives you nothing but hell and blackmail.

You think I am hard on you, well actually I have done the full bang shoot in Thailand, been through the courts months on end and finalised the deal to my satisfaction totally. Did not have to pay her a cent and the house and car in her name where my choice with what to do with, further I have a child with her, got my parental power and visitation i wanted. I kept the car and all furniture and put the house in debt so gave it too her!

Sounds bad right, no actually the terrible games these Thai girls play are outlandish and pure evil i assure you, dont even entertain to be nice or taking the high road, keep it strictly legal and above board but soon she will be a distant memory and also selling whatever she has left in a few month, including herslef and her soul. I had a high class educated wife, i tell you there is no differenece between isaan and degree thai woman, all is done for a purpose and self gain, the most selfish individuals and coniving i have ever me!

Good luck, dont pay a cent, actually you dont need luck just get on with you life and she dont need to know your Thai number or where u live, But, it seems like you 2 keep contact, so please question your motives as you may not be totally done with her emotionally at heart.