Pm Vows To Tackle Worsening Drought

Lite Beer

I have posted this on nearly every story regarding flooding, drought and energy, so here goes againj:-

I am Water Engineer. During the floods of two years ago I came up

with a design, the National Flood Prevention System.

I attended many seminars and conferences, meeting with AIT, an

exclusive gathering organised by Chulalongkorn University with AFD,

Agence Française de Développementalent, equivalent to US Aid also

attended by the Interior Minister's personal secretary.

On 18 January 2012, I met Khun Plodprasop. now Deputy Prime Minister

and who chairs the government's Water and Flood Management Commission

(WFMC), at the opening of the Polar Exhibition at the New Science

Museum. I had the opportunity of explaining to him and his well

educated aides who all spoke excellent English thereby understanding

the concept the National Flood Prevention System.

Further, I recently met again Colonel Artcha Boongrapu, an old

acquaintance of some 20 years and to whom I explained the broad

concept last year. He recently emailed me requiring further info.

Here is a copy of the text I sent him:

''Hi Artcha

Thanks for getting in touch.

Please view this link:

http://practicalacti...hydro_power.pdf

This is not exactly my design but it shows a micro system which can be

enhanced and

extrapolated to a national level

My design is upping the parameters and developing a system throughout the river

and tributary system monitored and controlled by satellite.

It will store water in individually designed retention reservoirs,

provide hydro power through a turbine

which can pump water back up to farmers to enhance irrigation for

second crop and send excess power to the grid.

If developed over the entire country it distributes wealth and

productivity and removes the prospect of flooding forever.

This would provide security for the population, government and

industry for future investment.

It generates additional power to the grid thus reducing gas purchases

from neighbouring countries to the point perhaps of self sufficiency

and even exportation of power.

Practical Action are prepared to do a pilot with the Ministry of

Finance in Nepal.''

My design is similar but the riverside structures would be located

above the flood high water contour. The reservoir would be designed

according to hydrological studies which the Thai government has for

many regions if not all.

Although my design uses Retention Reservoirs rather than dams, one

type of general construction is based on the earth dam concept:

http://www.lboro.ac....-earth-dams.pdf

The large number of construction projects distributes wealth to local

companies and labour.

By investing in the local infrastructure, the increase in living

standards may have additional social benefits.

Girls may be less inclined to go to 'work' in the cities and thus may

have an impact on reducing HIV/AIDS

Hope that expands the concept sufficiently for you.

I am in general donating it to world to be used and adapted as required.

You may use any or all of the above to help spread the ideas.''

Last year while in Nepal, I met with the Minister of Finance and in

Bhutan, the Minister of Agriculture and Forests.

Both were interested in the design.

This design, the National Flood Prevention System, is exactly what it

says it is. It is not a flood control system but a flood prevention

system.

Instead of regarding the additional water as a major problem, the

design accommodates it as a great additional resource.

As a System, it must be developed as such throughout the entire river

and tributary system in a coordinated and cohesive manner.

National implies government control. The only way this can work is by

strong political will steered by a strong government who can make bold

decisions.

The National Flood Prevention System is fully flexible and can be

applied and adjusted to any country. The principles remain the same.

Working with nature rather than against it. Using the water as a

resource rather that allowing to act as a destructive force.

I have been a civil engineer for over 40 years, more than 30 years in

developing countries. I have been a member of RedR, Register of

Engineers for Disaster Relief since 1985.

This may be passed on by any one to any one who has influence.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<snip>

If developed over the entire country it distributes wealth and

productivity and removes the prospect of flooding forever.

This would provide security for the population

<snip>

Girls may be less inclined to go to 'work' in the cities

<snip>

I think that's two reasons why no Thai government will ever adopt your excellent plan.

So the sign in rubl's post says:

Goodbye! floods and drought

Build a water system throughout the country.

Build levees to protect Bangkok

Indeed, goodbye floods

from pantip.com there's a number of poignant photos from the public on the floods, including one with the PTP campaign poster floating down a flooded street in Bangkok:

23.jpg

So Taksins sister is going to tackle global warming how? Certainly not by reducing Thailand's carbon foot print, which is clearly growing astronomically. Instead of the idiotic "get every Thai to buy a car program" Yinglick might have spent the billions wasted, on the automobile tax break, to quickly expanding the BTS and MRT.

And then there is all the burning of rice fields; the government could have given each farm community a tractor instead of wasting millions on useless tablets. The farmers could have borrowed the community tractor to plow their field instead of burning the rice stalks.

No the air pollution is going to get substantially worse, which will only contribute to either major droughts or major floods. But don't worry about rice for awhile, the government has a huge stockpile! 55555

So Taksins sister is going to tackle global warming how? Certainly not by reducing Thailand's carbon foot print, which is clearly growing astronomically. Instead of the idiotic "get every Thai to buy a car program" Yinglick might have spent the billions wasted, on the automobile tax break, to quickly expanding the BTS and MRT.

Expanding the BTS and MRT does little for the rest of Thailand. There is more to the country than just Bangkok.

• Like 1

Expanding the BTS and MRT does little for the rest of Thailand. There is more to the country than just Bangkok.

Duh, no kidding, and where do you think the majority of the 1.6 million vehicles sold this year are being driven? A fraction are being driven outside of BKK and not only is navigating BKK getting worse but a huge portion of pollution is produced from cars just sitting waiting to move (not moving, waiting to move). You don't see this problem outside of BKK. Start in BKK and work outwards i.e. high speed railways.

True, BTS/MRT doesn't belong here. It would belong to the mudslinging topic with PM Yingluck standing next to Pongsapat telling Bangkok voters about all the nice things they may get when they vote in her candidate as new BKK Governor rolleyes.gif

Now as for tackling drought that's just the weather over which the government has no control and therefor we vow to tackle it. Now a simple question, does the 350 billion baht Water Management Plan include only flooding related issues or is there a part related to droughts as well?

Edited by rubl

So the sign in rubl's post says:

Goodbye! floods and drought

Build a water system throughout the country.

Build levees to protect Bangkok

Sounds like a good idea to me and not unlike an election campaign promise that might be made in any other country.

And one that is being carried out.

True, BTS/MRT doesn't belong here. It would belong to the mudslinging topic with PM Yingluck standing next to Pongsapat telling Bangkok voters about all the nice things they may get when they vote in her candidate as new BKK Governor rolleyes.gif

Now as for tackling drought that's just the weather over which the government has no control and therefor we vow to tackle it. Now a simple question, does the 350 billion baht Water Management Plan include only flooding related issues or is there a part related to droughts as well?

It's quite simple rubl Water management means just what what it says, managing water. Now a drought is by definition a lack of water. So part of managing water would include droughts as well because if you manage water correctly you don't have droughts.

Now before that was not easy because you had 30 odd different departments dealing with water whether it be flood control, irrigation, drinking water, waste water, hydro electric power so no wonder Thailand has never got a handle on it. One of the recommendations of the World Bank sponsored report into the 2011 flood recommended a centally controlled one department system which the PTP are bringing to fruition.

<snip>

Edited by craigt3365
removed rude comments

It's quite simple rubl Water management means just what what it says, managing water. Now a drought is by definition a lack of water. So part of managing water would include droughts as well because if you manage water correctly you don't have droughts.

Now before that was not easy because you had 30 odd different departments dealing with water whether it be flood control, irrigation, drinking water, waste water, hydro electric power so no wonder Thailand has never got a handle on it. One of the recommendations of the World Bank sponsored report into the 2011 flood recommended a centally controlled one department system which the PTP are bringing to fruition.

<snip>

Dont get too excited Mutt, its all rhetoric so far, nothing concrete has been done. Going by the PTP's record so far nothing will be done. 2 years of PTP left before they have to face the voters, wait til then before you start to snigger or call people smartasses.

Edited by craigt3365

What are you going to do yingluck, "cry me a river"?

Surely task DPM Super-Chalerm to solve the problem within 90 days, with some chance of success, since the rains will be beginning by then ! rolleyes.gif

Or I'm sure DPM-Plodprasop can arrange to spend lots of money (+ 30% admin-fees !), arranging an armada of boats, to push the waters back upstream to the rice-fields ? wink.png

Or as Muttley suggests, by setting-up "a centrally controlled one department system", that's certain to solve it, after due study & at the appropriate juncture & in the fullness of time, hurrah for the heroes Men from the not-yet-set-up Ministry ! laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo

What are you going to do yingluck, "cry me a river"?

Surely task DPM Super-Chalerm to solve the problem within 90 days, with some chance of success, since the rains will be beginning by then ! rolleyes.gif

Or I'm sure DPM-Plodprasop can arrange to spend lots of money (+ 30% admin-fees !), arranging an armada of boats, to push the waters back upstream to the rice-fields ? wink.png

Or as Muttley suggests, by setting-up "a centrally controlled one department system", that's certain to solve it, after due study & at the appropriate juncture & in the fullness of time, hurrah for the heroes Men from the not-yet-set-up Ministry ! laugh.png

In a previous thread the activities of the Royal Irrigation Department were listed. They seem to be quite comprehensive though may not include sewerage (an area where the corruption stinks worse than the effluent). So setting up "a centrally controlled one department system" seems to have occurred some time ago. Yingluk is yet to decide if the RID will be incorporated in the MoWater (doh!)

Did someone really write this article?

"... the government had reviewed its strategies for tackling drought to avoid repeated problems"

"...Yingluck instructed officials to find water sources for farming"

"... Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop .... would formulate a flood and drought prevention plan... to find water sources"

Stupid is as stupid does. What a crock. unsure.png

Maybe all the politicians can go around pissing in the fields or in reservoirs for a change instead of on the people

• Like 1

***BREAKING NEWS***

PM Yingluck vows to tackle drought

PM Yingluck vows to stop corruption

PM Yingluck vows to tackle flooding

PM Yingluck vows to stop motorbike mafia lending/taking money

PM Yingluck vows SHE is real leader of Thailand

PM Yingluck vows to stop vowing

is there a pattern here???

• Like 2

***BREAKING NEWS***

PM Yingluck vows to tackle drought

PM Yingluck vows to stop corruption

PM Yingluck vows to tackle flooding

PM Yingluck vows to stop motorbike mafia lending/taking money

PM Yingluck vows SHE is real leader of Thailand

PM Yingluck vows to stop vowing

is there a pattern here???

Vows to be out of the country during question time.

Vows to visit more shopping malls

vows to accept as many Photo sessions as poss

Vows to let all her cabinet make the decisions as she is too busy.

Is there? I thought I lived in the white area on the maps shown as unknown territory, Beware, here be dragons.

And I only live 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet.

Ignoring all the bitters, at least it looks like they're going in the right direction with a single command approach

a single command operation system, with a provincial governor at the centre, would be applied in drought-hit areas to solve water-management issues.

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi said the Water and Flood Management Commission (WFMC) would formulate a flood and drought prevention plan and work with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department (DPMD) to find water sources and introduce a zoning system to adjust agricultural water usage plans.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan said provincial governors and the DPMD would implement the single command system and survey each area's water needs.......

Previously after years of ignorance by all manners of governments water "management" was carried out by host of different departments as this cutting from the World Bank sponsored pdf shows

Rapid Assessment for Resilient Recovery and Reconstruction Planning

Water Laws and the Policy Framework

Thailand has many water related laws, administered by over 30 departments in eight ministries (Annex 8). There is no umbrella legislation to link these laws and codes, and consequently there is no legislative backing for any organization to undertake integrated water resources management.

In practice, this leads to erratic and ad hoc engagement between agencies. While many of these agencies are involved in managing the delivery of water, there is no single agency that has overall responsibility for managing water resources in an integrated manner. The absence of a modern, comprehensive water resources law is probably the most significant factor inhibiting the implementation of integrated water resources management (IWRM) in Thailand.

The current Water Policy has resulted in development plans for a number of river basins, but due to the lack of budget allocations, disagreements with local communities have led to the stalling of many of these plans. Additionally, administrative boundaries are often not drawn along water catchment or river basin lines, which leads to fragmentation of responsibilities and uncoordinated between different administrative areas, within a single river basin.

http://www.gfdrr.org...lood_2011_2.pdf

The problem is not the single commnad or the multi command system but purely the fact that politicians in general have no idea how to run any department they are put in charge of.

That said I wouuuuldn't trust this person, Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadito be in charge of a hole in the ground if I dug it for him and as for the rest of the incompetents in this government I wouldn't even give them credit for 10 baht.

The problem is not the single commnad or the multi command system but purely the fact that politicians in general have no idea how to run any department they are put in charge of.

Correct!!

They need to reshuffle the cabinet every 6-8 months or so in order not to be caught stealing money from the tax payers.

<snip>

The old question about chicken and egg has troubled your logic a wee bit.

If a WMP manages water correctly so there's no drought, the WMP doesn't manage droughts, because they do not exist. If the WMP was to manage droughts, that would suggests droughts are possible and do exist and therefor the WMP doesn't prevent them.

Anyway the OP is about 'tackle worsening drought' a situation you describe as 'lack of water', and therefor a Water Management Plan couldn't work because there is no water. Unless 'no water' is part of the plan, of course.

IMHO of course wai.gif

Edited by rubl

Sorry for removing quotes but too many got me again.

If a WMP manages water correctly so there's no drought, the WMP doesn't manage droughts, because they do not exist. If the WMP was to manage droughts, that would suggests droughts are possible and do exist and therefor the WMP doesn't prevent them.

Anyway the OP is about 'tackle worsening drought' a situation you describe as 'lack of water', and therefor a Water Management Plan couldn't work because there is no water. Unless 'no water' is part of the plan, of course.

IMHO of course wai.gif

Nice analogy rubl. Kinda like if it took a chicken and a half a day and a half to lay an egg and a half how long would it take a rooster to lay a door knob. That should hold Mr. Mutt for a while wai.gif

IMHO of course wai.gif

Nice analogy rubl. Kinda like if it took a chicken and a half a day and a half to lay an egg and a half how long would it take a rooster to lay a door knob. That should hold Mr. Mutt for a while wai.gif

Not really, It's obvious that droughts exist because of the very title of the OP. Therefore water management is needed (and does exist) to make it less worse severe so that there is no longer a drought. How efficient that water management of the drought is, is the question. Hence my explanation of the old way of doing things 30 plus committees or the new more efficient way of managing water (and by definition drought) using a single Command System.

( As an aside, back in the UK they used to call the head of these type of things, "Tsars", so you'd have a drug Tsar or a Water Management Tsar etc. I'm a bit reluctant to mention it as I wouldn't want the Thais to catch on and have it competing with "Hubs" )

Edited by muttley

IMHO of course wai.gif

Not really, It's obvious that droughts exist because of the very title of the OP. Therefore water management is needed (and does exist) to make it less worse severe so that there is no longer a drought. How efficient that water management of the drought is, is the question. Hence my explanation of the old way of doing things 30 plus committees or the new more efficient way of managing water (and by definition drought) using a single Command System.

( As an aside, back in the UK they used to call the head of these type of things, "Tsars", so you'd have a drug Tsar or a Water Management Tsar etc. I'm a bit reluctant to mention it as I wouldn't want the Thais to catch on and have it competing with "Hubs" )

get the aircraft carrier and all the other vessels and pump in reverse the water from the gulf UPSTREAM, and using the Korean pumps as extras. All engines Go GO---fill your canals at river high tide and then lock the gates--use this for irrigation.

IMHO of course wai.gif

get the aircraft carrier and all the other vessels and pump in reverse the water from the gulf UPSTREAM, and using the Korean pumps as extras. All engines Go GO---fill your canals at river high tide and then lock the gates--use this for irrigation.

Does anyone know if the Korean pumps ever arrived?

IMHO of course wai.gif

Does anyone know if the Korean pumps ever arrived?

Thaksin does but hes keeping mum...........

Thaksin will certainly be taking credit for the water pumps that he has ordered from South Korea.

On Tuesday the INN news agency quoted Kwanchai Priaphana, the chairman of Udon Thani Loving Club, as saying that Thaksin had ordered many pumps and they should be delivered to Thailand by Wednesday.

According to the Department of Drainage and Sewage under the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, they haven't received any pumps yet, and weren't expecting any. Froc doesn't know anything either. Maybe the pumps went somewhere else?