What Is The Life Expectancy Of A Scooter In Km's?

NeverSure

OK, I have some idea about what I call motorcycles of various sorts. But I have no idea how many kms is "worn out" with a scooter. And, I mean a farang owned, well serviced and cared for scooter, as if I bought it new myself and took care of it.

How long might it go? What would be an average? Is it the engine, the automatic tranny... Where and when is the weak point?

Thanks!!! wai2.gif

Old model Click.

Went perfectly fine for the first 60,000 + km.

Serviced roughly every 4000 km.

Then problems started, but in my opinion not really a bike issue, but rather a Somchai the mechanic issue.

Timing chain failed at 64,000 km (piston damage due to valve strike), repaired.

Total failure again within 2000km, again timing chain.

Either substandard parts or badly installed.

Then went to official main Honda dealer, total engine rebuild (+5,000 Baht), picked bike up, total engine seizure within 3 km due to no engine oil put in by official Honda Somchai...

Had a massive fight with them as they wanted me to charge for labor cost to repair again (parts offered free as Somchai mistake)....

Finally got it back (free), now added another 7000 worry free km...

• Like 2

My 2005 Wave has 60,000 on the clock.

Still running strong !

Should I trade it in for a new one LoserLazer ?

Regular oil changes.. New tyres when needed.. Sprocket and chain to be replaced this month..

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a new bike :)

Wave is not a scooter and it can run hundreds of thousand kms if you want. Still i prefer to change it at 60,000 kmh.

• Like 1

My Sonic has 107,000 kms on the clock and runs very well. It is over 12 years old and all the parts that don't require regular changing are original.

Yamaha automatic 60k

Honda automatic 90k

Any auto clutch geared bike 100k plus

• Like 1

We have a wave with 74,000 ks on it and still going strong

although i do a regular service every 5000ks change oil

clean filter and plug anyting else goes to somchai around the corner

i think as long asyou keep up regular service and do not thrash the guts out of it

they will last a long time?

personally i prefer hondas or suzukis had them all my life and have served me well.

Our Fino has only 16,400 on the clock. Log book serviced it should be good for 60k before I have to do anything. Our previous Fino (Second hand) only had final drive problems because it wasn't looked after by the previous owner....or they swapped out the good final drive for an older one. The noise wasn't noticeable when we bought it.....but 500km later it started to get noisy and it was down hill from there. 6000 baht fixed it. thumbsup.gif

Thank you everyone. Since I plan to buy a car, I think a good used, maybe farang owned ?? scooter would be fine. I see some really nice ones with very low mileage for about 25,000 - 30,000 baht, more or less.

You have been a big help. I had no idea what the durability of these scooters would be.