Motorcycling In Thailand

L&J

I was motorcycling on a two lane road just after dark last night and three cars were oncoming. Last guy pulled out to pass and I flashed my high beams at him as I only had about a foot of shoulder. He flashed back and kept on coming. If I had not pulled over to the dirt while he zoomed by inches away, I would not be here today.

Another common motorcycling accident is what I call the swoop. You are pleasantly cruising along passing slower motorcycles and suddenly one or two quickly pull to the right to make a u-turn lane or an intersection. Two friends ended up in the hospital with that scenario and I've had some close calls there too. Those accidents happen fast with no warning.

I think motorcycling in the city is much safer than the open busy road, but if you ever feel safe motorcycling here in Thailand, hang up the keys. Motorcycling is very very dangerous here and you have to be on your guard 200%. Every other driver out there is trying to kill you.

The worst part of the 'swoop' (good name for it), is how detect it, or predict it. There can be no turn signals or head movements to hint that it is about to happen, it just happens. Not sure how but after a year I seem able to read the road better and was caught far less often, there is a good number of little things to look for that warn you some of the times.

I was motorcycling on a two lane road just after dark last night and three cars were oncoming. Last guy pulled out to pass and I flashed my high beams at him as I only had about a foot of shoulder. He flashed back and kept on coming. If I had not pulled over to the dirt while he zoomed by inches away, I would not be here today.

Another common motorcycling accident is what I call the swoop. You are pleasantly cruising along passing slower motorcycles and suddenly one or two quickly pull to the right to make a u-turn lane or an intersection. Two friends ended up in the hospital with that scenario and I've had some close calls there too. Those accidents happen fast with no warning.

I think motorcycling in the city is much safer than the open busy road, but if you ever feel safe motorcycling here in Thailand, hang up the keys. Motorcycling is very very dangerous here and you have to be on your guard 200%. Every other driver out there is trying to kill you.

The worst part of the 'swoop' (good name for it), is how detect it, or predict it. There can be no turn signals or head movements to hint that it is about to happen, it just happens. Not sure how but after a year I seem able to read the road better and was caught far less often, there is a good number of little things to look for that warn you some of the times.

Reading this post make me think about the "keep left policy" as in motorcycles have to keep the furthest left possible NO MATTER WHAT.

The worst dangers are from "newbies" on rental scooters. They don't know which way to turn, and usually guess wrong. The same is true of new Thai drivers in cars they've just bought. I'm blown away every day watching young Thai kids easily weaving in and out of traffic with great dexerity. And, very often with 3 or more on the same scooter. I sometimes have a hard time just following them.

there's always 'stuff' happening around the next corner, over the next hill, coming out the drive or side road.

Yes,true...it's usually oncoming traffic! - for some ill-logical reason Thai's seem to think that the most opportune moment to pass is where sight lines are the shortest.

Motorcycling in Thailand can be great entertainment! - IF

- Approached with a keen sense of panoramic attention

- Clear awareness of local driving habits

- Riding a bike with enough power to stay ahead of traffic-flow

- Stay left on curves and hills, stay right behind songtaows/tuks

- Slow down approaching intersections

- Use indictors,high-beams and horn to alert intent

- Control speed - learn counter-steering

- Realize roads are not engineered for speed

- Limit riding and stay off the highways at night

- Be prepared to stop

- ALWAYS wear a good quality helmut with basic or full riding gear

- No flip-flops and shorts please.

I ride in CM everyday,have toured in Thailand every year for several years of which is one of my main seasonal sports.

On a day to day basis I seldom see any accidents, thankfully,for the most part traffic flows are slow and I actually do find the majority of drivers are careful and mindful of their peripheral. But there are idiots aplenty with the exact opposite in gear.

The 'danger' factor coupled with the sheer freedom of road rule is what makes the riding experience here so exciting.

* I pay special attention to: tour-vans,in my opinion the very worst of highway drivers.

- Bangkok plates; usually good drivers but tend to be aggressive and impatient.

- Lampang/Lampoon plates; a strange collective cluelessness and thus dangerous drivers.....just ask any Chiang Mai local car owner.

- Bicycle mobile tourist,now especially the new wave of Chinese coming to town.

- flippy-d-flops on rental scooters wearing football helmet's and with endless flashing indicators on.

With Eyes Open - Hands On enjoy the open road - but remember....it (can be) freak'n dangerous!! shock1.gif

Edited by HaleySabai
  • Like 2

Good post, HaleySabai. i agree with everything you wrote. I also hate vans with a passion. Most of my close misses happened with vans that were in MY lane on corners. Thankfully, I half expected them and was prepared to move out of the way. Had I been driving a car we would have had a head on accident.

• Like 1

I'm new to driving a motorbike (what a country to start in huh!) but here's my two cents/what i've been doing.

- Steer clear of all public transportation vehicles. That includes tuk-tuks, red/yellow/white trucks, buses, taxis, mini-vans, etc. If you see one either get far in front of it or stay far behind it. Do not ride beside it. Usually these drivers are the worst.

- At the least wear a helmet at all times (even short distances). It amazes me the amount of people I see driving/riding a motorcycle here in Thailand sans helmet. What really gets me is the family of 4, dad driving with kid standing between his legs holding on to the handle bars while mom is toting a baby on the back, all without helmets. I just shake my head when I see that.

- Pay attention to what's in front of you, to the sides of you, behind you 100% of the time. Seriously I have a headache every time I get off my motorbike considering how much brain power I've just exerted from simply paying attention. It's tiring.

- Stay to the left. There's always going to be some arsehol_e who flies by mere inches away from your motorbike. Give them as much room as possible.

- Always be prepared to stop/swerve at a moments notice. Cars/trucks/motorbikes love to pull out of side sois without looking or pull just the front part of their car out and then stop. In fact if you are riding on a road with lots of side sois or where cars have parked on the street you should probably ignore the last rule and stay farther away from the left side or drive slower than usual.

- While it's important to try and follow some of the local driving habits so you don't get plowed over, there are some you definitely should ignore. Always use turn signals, don't use the city streets as your own personal race track, do look in every direction that you possibly can before turning, changing lanes, or pulling out into traffic, don't drive the wrong way on a one-way street, do go slowly if you are going to pass between cars at red lights.

- Insure the hell out of yourself and your motorbike. Sorry but the compulsory government insurance doesn't cut it. At the least you should have a private motorbike and health insurance policy to cover yourself/3rd party if you're in an accident.

Edited by ZXM
  • Like 1

Reading this post make me think about the "keep left policy" as in motorcycles have to keep the furthest left possible NO MATTER WHAT.

I completely ignore the keep left rule... I ride the Hang Dong road every day and staying left there is close to suicide... the left isn't a scooter lane on that road, its a parking lot... people are happily pulling in to park, pulling out left without looking, opening car doors etc etc

I prefer to go fast enough to keep up with the traffic in the right lane (and risk a fine) than deal with the crap that gets thrown at you by sitting on the left.

Edited by DaBloodyMess

I completely ignore the keep left rule... I ride the Hang Dong road every day and staying left there is close to suicide... the left isn't a scooter lane on that road, its a parking lot... people are happily pulling in to park, pulling out left without looking, opening car doors etc etc

I prefer to go fast enough to keep up with the traffic in the right lane (and risk a fine) than deal with the crap that gets thrown at you by sitting on the left.

...I agree,it is DaBloodyMess out there...biggrin.png

• Like 1

It's a little bit of everything and I enjoy it all. Staying alert 100% of the time is exciting and certainly good exercise for the mind and body. The are no set in stone rules of behaviour. You just have to anticipate all movement around you at all times. LEARN YOUR MOTORBIKE! Know how quickly it can accelerate and how quickly it can stop. Know its width and what gaps you can get through. What is that vehicle in front of you going to do and how quickly can you pass it or sneek in front. Why is that van signaling right but turning left? Is that green light going to stay green long enough for you to sneek through with the rest of the traffic, or is it going to turn red just before you get there. And, are the vehicles tail gating you going to stop if you stop for the red light.

• Like 2

Since this has turned into a advice thread;

Practice your emergency braking and evasive counter steering several times a year, depending on your motorcycling experience.

When teaching some employees emergency braking, a few friends joined in also; no one, everybody with Thailand only motorcycle experience, knew the skills for emergency braking in the shortest distance possible on a given road surface. Without practice, panic will cause accidents.

Edited by Fishenough
  • Like 2

I ride in and around Chiang Mai, but as a regular visitor, rather than someone living here. My thoughts for what they're worth:

• I always wear a full face helmet and I would be a lot better protected if I also wore protective gear - but I don't; my choice and my stupidity if I have an accident.
  • I do have proper licence/s (Australian motorcycle rider's and an international driving permit) and proper insurance cover - I don't want an accident I survive to bankrupt me
  • Might is right - I have no claim to "my" side of the road, so if someone is overtaking and coming towards me, I make sure I've moved over already.
  • I avoid the superhighway as much as I can, to the point of planning alternative routes. That's after several times on that road when I put my life into the hands of 20 year olds practising formula 1 racing in cars as old as they are
  • I don't ride at all after 9 pm and try to minimise any riding after 6 pm. Too much alcohol and yaabaa on the road.
  • I agree with all the posters who say to move a bit faster than the average speed of the traffic, but this can be tricky if I'm riding a scooter on the road to Phrao at 60 km/h and the pickup coming up behind me is hitting 160 ... so I should ride a bigger bike, right? I should, but most travel insurance won't cover me for anything larger than 200cc.
  • I've not yet experienced the "swoop" some other posters have mentioned, but forewarned is forearmed - thanks for the tip.
  • I agree with the posters who say motorcycling is inherently dangerous: you can do all the right things and still be taken out by an idiot taking calculated risks with your life but in fairness, that can happen everywhere. I enjoy riding here, and I reckon it's worth the risk.

• Like 2