Green Mango Moving To Soi Reggae?

JonW

Last months I´ve heard persistent rumours that the authorities plan to move the whole entertainment area of Soi Green Mango to the Soi Reggae area.

But others claim that the new Centara shopping centre will include a lot of night clubs/bars, so it doesnt add up.

Anyone knows more about these two matters?

There is to much vetted interest in the land there for anything to be moved ... Maybe a new and improved night spot at soi regga and maybe some new higher class bars at centara , but green mango will stay green mango for many years to come

I heard something similar from a Soi Reggae bar owner about 3 months ago. He said that the whole Soi Green Mango area including the Green Mango club and Sound club will be moving to Soi Reggae, in the empty land after the Reggae Pub. All that is up that way is the Bungy Jump, Aussieland bar, and Camp Beer, so its definitely possible, although highly unlikely.

The reason he gave was the authorities wanting to remove all of the noise pollution and drunken behaviours away from all the beach, restaurants, and 5* resorts.

This is like any other story about Samui. First I heard about it was 7 years ago! Every now and again the story pops up again. The idea is actually not so bad, and sure would be welcomed by reggae bar and the many little bars in the soi. Maybe someone is just trying to sell his bar in soi reggae, and a story like this could up the price a bit...

sounds like a planwink.png

It does! (As opposed to: 'reality'). ;)

Anyway, nothing I've seen so far in Samui (all of one week. :) ) leads me to believe that there is any more top-down forced urban planning going on here than anywhere else in Thailand, and anywhere else in Thailand you can't just make people or businesses move. Thailand is a remarkably free country (economically at least) and the only way to move something is if the land owner buys into it.

(The exception is of course building permission for new construction, where high-rise construction is prevented. But that's different from making an existing business move.)

I also enjoyed watching the Chaweng bypass road, where it connects back to the main Chaweng strip on the South side near Buri Rasa. It's incredibly narrow on that end, so for a 'bypass road' it would only take a very minor increase in traffic to totally clog up that intersection and make it not much of a bypass, but add to the heart-attack instead.

That said though I'm not a huge fan of the Green Mango area, I much prefer the smaller bars in the Soi Reggae area. But that could be me.

In the Chaweng area are in fact night time entertainment Zoning laws. Only bars & clubs can stay open late if they are in a late night Zone.

The Green Mango area is not in this zone!

If this law is ever enforced all bars & clubs in the mango area will have to close at 1am(ish).

This is the reason why these rumours have been flying around for years.

In the Chaweng area are in fact night time entertainment Zoning laws. Only bars & clubs can stay open late if they are in a late night Zone.

The Green Mango area is not in this zone!

If this law is ever enforced all bars & clubs in the mango area will have to close at 1am(ish).

This is the reason why these rumours have been flying around for years.

NEITHER IS SOI REGGAE

• Like 1