Top Posters In This Topic

Total lack of common sense

total lack of respect

total lack of conscious

total lack of courtesy

no moral responsibility

totally corrupt population - from birth to adulthood

LOS - land of smiles - only when passing money from your hands to theirs

Thai philosophy - foreigners are the scum of the earth and must be tolerated in exchange for their cash

A country where lies and deception permeate every level of the social fabric

A country where your instincts scream at you every waking moment to get the hel_l away from here

A smile is a request for interest.

A turned head is a snub.

No eye contact is a lack of interest, or care.

Truth holds no value.

Even love is a business proposition here, a bargain. A temporary bargain.

Getting rid of hypocrite farangs who essentially accuse Thais of being evil or fake when we don't kiss their as* for being white. Go home if people supposedly treat you better there.

Edited by gurkle

I would start with the whole list that follows:

Thailand needs a complete overhaul.

Total lack of common sense

total lack of respect

total lack of conscious

total lack of courtesy

no moral responsibility

totally corrupt population - from birth to adulthood

LOS - land of smiles - only when passing money from your hands to theirs

Thai philosophy - foreigners are the scum of the earth and must be tolerated in exchange for their cash

Sidewalks not made for walking

Sidewalks used as extension of a persons business enterprise

Sidewalks used as parking for motorcycles, cars, trucks streets are filthy

Restaurants that spray food with insecticide before cooking and serving

Pastry shops that close once a week to fumigate

Total lack of traffic laws

Police only interested in extorting your hard earned cash

the public transport system

the taxi drivers

the scruffiness and filth

the poor service

the surliness and unfriendliness of the thais in the street markets and the shoddy tat they try to sell.

the total lack of any sense of aesthetics about development.

the car hire company that tries to charge for the repair to the car when it fails to start.

the dangerous driving and road system

the padding of bills restaurants , and the problems in correcting restaurants mistakes.

A country where lies and deception permeate every level of the social fabric

A country where your instincts scream at you every waking moment to get the hel_l away from here

Learn a language that does not have a direct translation for ‘yes’ or ‘no’

A language where the words for a horse and a dog sound the same

Live in a country that is floundering in a sea of corruption

A smile is a request for interest.

A turned head is a snub.

No eye contact is a lack of interest, or care.

There is no interest in education.

Truth holds no value.

The arts are barely alive in Asia, unless you count copying. No live band writes their own material, painters copy from photographs, and there is nearly no literature produced.

Philosophy is not here. Never discussed here

No recognizable allegiance to any consensual reality, scientific or otherwise. No recognizable living arts.

The cultures amount to the importation of currently fashionable cell phones.

Even love is a business proposition here, a bargain. A temporary bargain.

Children locked up in brothels for sexual services.

Children forced to work in sweatshops under hellish conditions.

Children sold as camel jockeys.

Child beggars manipulated by adult gangs.

Children working as drug couriers.

Children used as loans in debt bondage.

Children forced into marriage.

Alot of from the list I am sure that many of you will 'totally' disagree with. But the above are the reality of living in Thailand.

YES! I am still living here and try to ignore all of the above. The question that was asked was - What would you change? I am realistic however and know that this is the way Thailand has been long before we 'foreigners' arrived and will never change. So, live the way they do and not worry about anything - Mai Bpen Rai NO change is needed :o:D

opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one :D

and you mister take the cake!!!!!

I think that was an observation retirednavyman not a complaint..

You have got to be kidding me.

If you think comments like "no moral responsibility", "total lack of common sense", "total lack of respect", and "total corrupt population - from birth to adulthood" are merely observations, I would hate to see the kind of things you say about a race you truly despise!

Edited by gurkle

If you think comments like "no moral responsibility", "total lack of common sense", "total lack of respect", and "total corrupt population - from birth to adulthood" are merely observations, I would hate to see the kind of things you say about a race you truly despise!

I knew that I would get a lot of 'flak' about this list! I am not surprised. The original question is - Improvements! This list is applicable to most, maybe all, countries of the world. The question relates to Thailand, in this case.

Total lack of common sense - Yes, there is a dire need for 'common sense' that appears to be lacking everywhere. I am just as much at fault in this regard. The parking of motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc., etc., anywhere people see fit - without regard for anyone else - ME!

Total lack of respect - I stand by this 'totally'. No place can you go do you get any respect - Period. From young to old it is - ME - and the he_l with everyone else. It could be that some 'foreigners' have been here for such a long time that it is lacking in them as well.

Total corrupt population - I see it in 7-11 everyday with very young kids stuffing their pockets with merchandise while 'staff' stand there and watch them with a smile on their face! I see it everyday in the news - paper and broadcast. I could go on and on.

Are these only applicable to Thailand. No. It applies to many countries, including the USA. But it is much more noticeable here. Can 'Improvements' be made - Yes. It takes education and parenting - two concepts that do not appear to apply here.

Yes! I would love to be able to go back home but for some reason my wife cannot get citizenship after residing in Thailand for the better part of 30 years. Is that her fault? So, having a wife that cannot get out means I am in 'Jail' for a term that has no end in sight.

Keep it coming! :D:D:o

Edited by chiangrai57020

I knew that I would get a lot of 'flak' about this list! I am not surprised. The original question is - Improvements! This list is applicable to most, maybe all, countries of the world. The question relates to Thailand, in this case.

Total lack of common sense - Yes, there is a dire need for 'common sense' that appears to be lacking everywhere. I am just as much at fault in this regard. The parking of motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc., etc., anywhere people see fit - without regard for anyone else - ME!

Total lack of respect - I stand by this 'totally'. No place can you go do you get any respect - Period. From young to old it is - ME - and the he_l with everyone else. It could be that some 'foreigners' have been here for such a long time that it is lacking in them as well.

Total corrupt population - I see it in 7-11 everyday with very young kids stuffing their pockets with merchandise while 'staff' stand there and watch them with a smile on their face! I see it everyday in the news - paper and broadcast. I could go on and on.

Are these only applicable to Thailand. No. It applies to many countries, including the USA. But it is much more noticeable here. Can 'Improvements' be made - Yes. It takes education and parenting - two concepts that do not appear to apply here.

Yes! I would love to be able to go back home but for some reason my wife cannot get citizenship after residing in Thailand for the better part of 30 years. Is that her fault? So, having a wife that cannot get out means I am in 'Jail' for a term that has no end in sight.

You hate the world i see.

You must sit at home complaining about a ant in the house, someone riding a bike with a bit of rust, the floor having a spec of dirt on it.

Or

are you just being an attention whore???

You must sit at home complaining about a ant in the house, someone riding a bike with a bit of rust, the floor having a spec of dirt on it.

Or

Wow! It is amazing how someone who has never met me knows me so well! :D

OK! Let's get back to basics.

Improvements:

Land Ownership - Provide the same rights to 'foreigners' in Thailand that we in the USA provide to 'foreigners'. In the USA you do not have to get a US citizen to act as a 'nominee'. In fact, if a 'foreigner' has a non-immigrant visa, the day they step off the plane they can buy 'anything' they want - land, business, house, etc., etc., and do not have to have permission from some government agency to buy it.

Green Card: After spending an average of 2 years in the USA a non-immigrant can apply for a Green Card. Unless your a 'total screw-up' it is 100% certain you will be given a Green Card. The Green Card is renewed every 10 years. You do not have to travel to some immigration office yearly to obtain a one-year visa.

Citizenship: After 5 years (most cases) a non-immigrant 'Green Card' holder can apply to become a US citizen. In over 90% of the cases, citizenship is approved. (Check the web - several cities quote differences in the 90% figure).

House: You can build a house anywhere you want and do not have to get permission from some village head that has a 3 to 6th grade education. Yes, there are certain requirements that do apply. And you do not have to register the house at some district office and carry a house registration around everywhere you go.

Car/Truck/etc.: You do not need a 'House Registration' to purchase a vehicle.

Business: You can purchase a business, start a business, and do not have to satisfy some quota that states you have to have a certain number of US Citizen employed. As long as a 'foreigner' is legal you can hire them.

Traffic Laws: Apply to 'everyone'. If you break a law you are given a 'ticket'. No police officer will EVER ask for pocket money. You take the ticket to court, or you mail the ticket in with the amount of the fine. You must always drive in the proper direction and proper lane - motorcycle or other vehicles. If you do not you will get a ticket, and more than likely go to jail with a court date to follow. You drive drunk, you are given a test on the spot, if you do not pass you go to jail and a court date is provided. If you offer money in any of these circumstances - you go to jail.

Parking: If you park illegally you will be given a ticket (Same as above). You cannot park on sidewalks, block someones driveway, block a street entrance, block the follow of traffic, etc.

Now then. Are these common sense rules? Would this be an improvement over what is currently the rules (or lack of) in Thailand?

I am probably wrong (as I aways am) but it seems to me that the items I mentioned above apply in almost all Western/European countries?

Improvements:

Land Ownership - Provide the same rights to 'foreigners' in Thailand that we in the USA provide to 'foreigners'. In the USA you do not have to get a US citizen to act as a 'nominee'. In fact, if a 'foreigner' has a non-immigrant visa, the day they step off the plane they can buy 'anything' they want - land, business, house, etc., etc., and do not have to have permission from some government agency to buy it.

Green Card: After spending an average of 2 years in the USA a non-immigrant can apply for a Green Card. Unless your a 'total screw-up' it is 100% certain you will be given a Green Card. The Green Card is renewed every 10 years. You do not have to travel to some immigration office yearly to obtain a one-year visa.

Citizenship: After 5 years (most cases) a non-immigrant 'Green Card' holder can apply to become a US citizen. In over 90% of the cases, citizenship is approved. (Check the web - several cities quote differences in the 90% figure).

House: You can build a house anywhere you want and do not have to get permission from some village head that has a 3 to 6th grade education. Yes, there are certain requirements that do apply. And you do not have to register the house at some district office and carry a house registration around everywhere you go.

Business: You can purchase a business, start a business, and do not have to satisfy some quota that states you have to have a certain number of US Citizen employed. As long as a 'foreigner' is legal you can hire them.

Traffic Laws: Apply to 'everyone'. If you break a law you are given a 'ticket'. No police officer will EVER ask for pocket money. You take the ticket to court, or you mail the ticket in with the amount of the fine. You must always drive in the proper direction and proper lane - motorcycle or other vehicles. If you do not you will get a ticket, and more than likely go to jail with a court date to follow. You drive drunk, you are given a test on the spot, if you do not pass you go to jail and a court date is provided. If you offer money in any of these circumstances - you go to jail.

Parking: If you park illegally you will be given a ticket (Same as above). You cannot park on sidewalks, block someones driveway, block a street entrance, block the follow of traffic, etc.

Now then. Are these common sense rules? Would this be an improvement over what is currently the rules (or lack of) in Thailand?

I am probably wrong (as I aways am) but it seems to me that the items I mentioned above apply in almost all Western/European countries?

In other words, the only way that Thailand would be acceptable to you would be if it was exactly the same as the U.S. :o No wonder so many people hate Americans. :D

Or

Wow! It is amazing how someone who has never met me knows me so well! :D

I even know where you live buddy.

Big bikes allowed on the free/tollway.............

Everything else I can live with ..........

englishoak, why do you have the same avatar as Jackr?

I get the creeps everytime I see it :D

You really have a way with words Donz. :o

Threats, even implied, are against the rules here. :D

Edited by Old Croc

Its not a threat, i was just telling you i know everything

The right to buy land.

If you were Thai would you want a bigger influx of foreigners gradually taking over your country?

We are quite selfish and often fail to see their point of view, the Thai's need to find their own way and learn from their own mistakes - just as we did years ago.

I agree with Mickmac though about the Highway Code and general roads and traffic, this would benefit them as well as us.

Donz.

Pull your head in.....

Friendly reminder!

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Have a nice day. :D

Donz.

Pull your head in.....

Friendly reminder!

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Im just trying to spice up this website abit.

I have not posted anything that upsets anyone. (i dont think)

Donz.

Pull your head in.....

Friendly reminder!

Im just trying to spice up this website abit.

I have not posted anything that upsets anyone. (i dont think)

I would like to ask you, and anyone else that would like to respond, Have you talked to any Thai's that live outside Thailand? Have you talked to any Thai's in Thailand that want to get out of Thailand? Well, I have. I have talked to many Thai that live in the USA. OK! I know 'everyone' hates Americans! And, by the way - several hundred thousand Thai's live in the USA (statistics!!). No, I have not talked to all of them! The people (Thai) that I have talked to have said 'They will NEVER go back to Thailand to live - to visit Yes. When I asked why, the general response is 'corruption, 'no freedom', 'low income', and many other remarks. So, when I produced this list, it is a list derived by 'talking to' many people - BOTH Thai and 'farang', and comments made within the postings of TV. It is not my list entirely. Many 'suggestions - comments' on the list I do agree with 100%, BUT there are also things on the list that I do not agree with 'Totally' - Just like everyone else - some agree and some disagree.

So bash me if you like but, please keep in mind, that comments made here are not 'always' the comments of one individual.

Have a great day. I do not take threats seriously.

I think there was an initial confusion here.

It is one thing to nominate a law or practice you might want to import from somewhere else to Thailand; it is quite another to get onto ‘improving’ Thailand…or anywhere else for that matter.

I suppose that people in most countries, if not all, both ordinary folk and politicians have ideas and proposals for the ‘improvement’ of life.

It so happens it has taken several hundred years in Europe-less in the US..but then there was a steady import of Europeans ( and others). The ‘West’ had the advantages ( if they are), developed over centuries of legal and justice systems, banking and education systems all progressively supported by Science and Technology. There was, too, the prevailing influence on behavior and morality of Christianity.

Now some of these things are held to be of ambivalent benefit. The sometimes culturally destructive influence of religion in trying to tell other cultures how to be and behave has been well documented. Not all applications of Science and Technology have been universally wonderful; and justice for the poor is still not well grounded in many places.

I am sure everyone has ideas about how Western Countries could be ‘improved’!

But many westerners and an enormous number of people from elsewhere think these countries are good places to live and work and raise families-hence the continuing furore about ‘immigration’.

Others leave the west and come to places like LOS. Why? Well.What was you reason? It is hot, there is an abundance of good food, it is a cheap place to live-if you have a western income-, the landscape, the mountains and the sea are beautiful, the cities are vibrant, you are actually personally much more free than in the west, you probably have a lovely pad and a beautiful wife and family. You can buy most things for your amusement and comfort from medical treatment to DVDs with ease.

The price you pay for that is that you are living in a culture which has none of the traditions of the west that have led to its security and stability and you have a culture that has imported a swathe of western goods and services and attitudes which sit uneasily with its own long traditions.

One problem, as I see it, is that it is still within living memory-let alone current experience-that poverty, hunger, lack of opportunity, official, domestic and police violence were the order of the day. In escaping from that, a few ‘attitudes’ or traffic violations and a good dose of self interest can be understood.

As far as I can see the Thais who go and live abroad are no different from the farang that come and live here. Though having seen Thai restaurant workers 10 to room in the UK-and their reasoning for that was simply money-to earn and to send home-I guess expat farang in Thailand have, for the most part, a better daily life than Thais abroad.

Heaven forbid that LOS should become like the US, Oz, Europe or whatever…but that does not mean there will not always be ways to change and grow here

I would like to ask you, and anyone else that would like to respond, Have you talked to any Thai's that live outside Thailand? Have you talked to any Thai's in Thailand that want to get out of Thailand? Well, I have. I have talked to many Thai that live in the USA. OK! I know 'everyone' hates Americans! And, by the way - several hundred thousand Thai's live in the USA (statistics!!). No, I have not talked to all of them! The people (Thai) that I have talked to have said 'They will NEVER go back to Thailand to live - to visit Yes. When I asked why, the general response is 'corruption, 'no freedom', 'low income', and many other remarks. So, when I produced this list, it is a list derived by 'talking to' many people - BOTH Thai and 'farang', and comments made within the postings of TV. It is not my list entirely. Many 'suggestions - comments' on the list I do agree with 100%, BUT there are also things on the list that I do not agree with 'Totally' - Just like everyone else - some agree and some disagree.

So bash me if you like but, please keep in mind, that comments made here are not 'always' the comments of one individual.

Show any Thai person from anywhere your original post where you describe us as "no moral responsibility", "total lack of common sense", "total lack of respect", and "total corrupt population - from birth to adulthood" and see how many of them talk to you after that.

Edited by gurkle

Show any Thai person from anywhere your original post where you describe us as "no moral responsibility", "total lack of common sense", "total lack of respect", and "total corrupt population - from birth to adulthood" and see how many of them talk to you after that.

total agree

Improvements:

In other words, the only way that Thailand would be acceptable to you would be if it was exactly the same as the U.S. :o No wonder so many people hate Americans. :D

Wow, this unexceptional little list has set Tippaporn off about hating America.What part of this list Tippaporn do you think is objectionable or did you just get out of bed the wrong side today? To me it is a very uncontroversial agenda to which any civilised country would subscribe.However I would make one point.It is much much much easier for a foreigner to visit Thailand than the U.S.

Just read some of the earlier posts. What do you think would happen if foreigners could buy property? Wouldnt this just hike the prices up, all the prime locations bought by non-thais - private and business. Would this be in the best interest of the country?

Thais have no common sense. ...mmmm! well this is just a cultural difference - some people can't understand a different attitude to the one they were brought up with so interpret it as less intelligent. It should really be interpreted as an inability to adapt.

Crackdown on corruption and dangerous driving would make Thailand a safer and more equitable country.