Contracting A Private Internet Access Without Owning A Property?

Annonymous

Hello,

I'm renting a condo but the owner won't open an independent internet line for me as, he says, there's a "TOT Wifi/HotSpot" available for 300bahts/months. I'm using this TOT shit daily and it's a real nightmare: I cannot place a single Skype call (at all!!!), I have a widget on my desktop that pings "google.com" every second so I keep an eye on the connection quality and from 7am to 11am I get full timeouts pings!!! and then during the afternoon up to 6pm the pings are between 200 to 1000ms (!!) and then from 6pm to about 2 or 3am in the night again all the pings timeouts. So basically this is not internet, this is fuc_king shit!

The only thing I can do is torrenting, seems to go through at certain times during the day.

Now I cannot handle this anymore and I need an internet connection, a real one, with a <100ms max constant ping, and with a up of 1 or 2Mb/s minimum. Don't care too much about the download speed. I care most about stable ping (zero timeouts) and reasonable upload speed.

Now the problem is that I'm not owning a property but I'm just renting... Can I still contract a private internet access? I went to the "True" store near Tukcom and I was going to ask if it was possible, but I was stopped straight as I said my condo was on the 7th floor, and told me "sorry it's too high for us" and served the next customer in line... I don't understand this... what the hell!!

Anyway, so besides True, I guess there is TOT but I HATE TOT so I'm gonna have to pass, then I've read that there is CAT but it's expensive, and then "Sophon" which looks interesting: http://www.sophonbb.net/net/pro.php

Also I have read here in thaivisa that the actual download/upload speed promoted is... inside Thailand, and that international transfers are actually lowers... WHO ACTUALLY USE LOCAL TRANSFERS??? 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all web content and all web services are NOT hosted in Thailand! This is the biggest scam ever!

I also know that people on a tourist visa will have to pay all first year upfront, but I'm on a O visa, if that changes anything...?

Thanks for your help! as I didn't get much from the True store!

Edited by Rimmer
Profane also see rule number 9

do you have any sort of utility bill?

if so you can probably get another account, though if the landlord wants to make it difficult...

I have the electric bill that I pay directly at the 7/11 store, and the water bill that I pay at the condo's reception, both bills are titled with the owner's name.

I do have a rental contract with my name on it, and each month I get a hand-written receipt for the money paid.

What do you mean by "get another account"? Changing the name on the electric bill??

The landlord doesn't want to make it difficult but he's oversee, I'm renting from a local agency that manage his property, therefor I need to ask the agent which will call the landlord and get approval etc. but isn't his presence needed to contract with an ISP?

I just want a line in my name so when there'll be problems I can just call and say that I'm the owner of the line so at least I can get service............

Edited by Annonymous

do you have any sort of utility bill?

if so you can probably get another account, though if the landlord wants to make it difficult...

I have the electric bill that I pay directly at the 7/11 store, and the water bill that I pay at the condo's reception, both bills are titled with the owner's name.

I do have a rental contract with my name on it, and each month I get a hand-written receipt for the money paid.

What do you mean by "get another account"? Changing the name on the electric bill??

The landlord doesn't want to make it difficult but he's oversee, I'm renting from a local agency that manage his property, therefor I need to ask the agent which will call the landlord and get approval etc. but isn't his presence needed to contract with an ISP?

I just want a line in my name so when there'll be problems I can just call and say that I'm the owner of the line so at least I can get service............

if you have a rental contract you should b able to set up your own internet account. but instead of asking her, you should be contacting the provider of your choice and asking them what they require

Rental contract, passport, work permit should do it. What's the problem with TOT? My experience with them has been better than True.

thanks, I have a visa O (marriage) but I don't have a work permit, is it really required?

the problem with TOT? well for 300 bahts/month I get pings of either 1000ms or either timeouts so, well, how can TOT be associated with "internet" is above my understanding..

Assuming your condo has Sophon cable, just get them to put their cable internet on. All you need is your passport and money to prepay the bill. They couldnt care less about who owns the place and in my experience they wont ask for any more information.

Buy your router at Tukcom where it is half the price.

That's a great news, I'll try to contact them then!

[...] instead of asking here, you should be contacting the provider of your choice and asking them what they require

I tried that, went to the True store and got "ejected" cause my condo's too high.......

What about an Air-Card (dongle) ??

Yes I have 2 sim cards already, one from AIS (1-2-call) and one from TrueMove, tried both with my laptop (which has an integrated HSDPA+ modem with a sim emplacement), tried all plans possible (time-based: cheap but slow, and volume-based: faster but expensive). The problem is that only the volume-based plans actually offer a reasonable speed, however as this is 3G technology the connection quality is very poor and not suitable for most usage like Skype calls etc. (even with 5 bars reception) because of many timeouts (requests that goes without respond) and a very high ping (150ms to 300ms) especially at pick hours, which DOES NOT allow for any VOIP usage etc.

Beside this is not real internet access but a restricted web access, what I mean is that I cannot connect to a VPN nor even listen to a simple radio streaming (!!) because only the port 80 is available and most radios streams are on port "8080", anyway there are sooo many limitations that it might be OK to use on a tablet or a cellphone when you're outside, but jeez at home on my computer I need a real internet access, not some restricted, unreliable web access.

bah.gif

If there is Sophon Cable in you building that is the preferred option. They don't care who owns the condo and so long as there is a cable line into the building they will connect you. As a previous poster stated they will provide you with the cable modem and if you want wifi buy a wireless router at Tukcom

Had this problem too. Tried True no can do, Sophon and Cat,expensive compared to 3BB. Went to 3BB in Big C extra they said pole full,so went to 3BB Big C north signed up straight away with an offer. Just take passport,think the 1 m up is 900 baht a month 10 m down 580 ish a month

If there is Sophon Cable in you building that is the preferred option. They don't care who owns the condo and so long as there is a cable line into the building they will connect you. As a previous poster stated they will provide you with the cable modem and if you want wifi buy a wireless router at Tukcom

Yes thank you I'll call Sophon and see if they're available in my building!

Had this problem too. Tried True no can do, Sophon and Cat,expensive compared to 3BB. Went to 3BB in Big C extra they said pole full,so went to 3BB Big C north signed up straight away with an offer. Just take passport,think the 1 m up is 900 baht a month 10 m down 580 ish a month

Looks really nice, I'll have a try! You're talking about the BigC in Kaklua right?

How much were the installation fees? Do you pay per month? smile.png

I just had the 599/mo 3BB service installed on the city outskirts in NE Thailand after almost a year with an AirCard. Very reliable so far. SKYPE now works great. I had the electric utility bill and my passport. Paid 6 months in advance + bought their inexpensive router. However I am writing this also to your comment:

but jeez at home on my computer I need a real internet access

in that fast reliable access is required for your 'online freelancing' WORK. Loose lips sink ships.

Looks really nice, I'll have a try! You're talking about the BigC in Kaklua right?

Year up front,about 7260,installation ,router all part of the package Big C north NOT EXTRA

I just had the 599/mo 3BB service installed on the city outskirts in NE Thailand after almost a year with an AirCard. Very reliable so far. SKYPE now works great. I had the electric utility bill and my passport. Paid 6 months in advance + bought their inexpensive router. However I am writing this also to your comment:

but jeez at home on my computer I need a real internet access

in that fast reliable access is required for your 'online freelancing' WORK. Loose lips sink ships.

I'm actually working only when aboard or within international areas (e.g. while waiting for my plane at the boarding gate in the airport ph34r.png) and I keep receiving money from self-managed sales that keep coming months after months, true story lock.gif Not only it's a true story, but even if it wasn't, go prove otherwise! I'm not selling services but software. I release updates every few months which require little work from me, and the sales keep happening and growing naturally. So it's not a joke, I can seriously accomplish some work within a few hours when crossing borders and when flying... I have never actually worked in Thailand.

Year up front,about 7260,installation ,router all part of the package Big C north NOT EXTRA

ahh OK so you did have to pay an entire year up front!

Rental contract, passport, work permit should do it. What's the problem with TOT? My experience with them has been better than True.

thanks, I have a visa O (marriage) but I don't have a work permit, is it really required?

the problem with TOT? well for 300 bahts/month I get pings of either 1000ms or either timeouts so, well, how can TOT be associated with "internet" is above my understanding..

Assuming your condo has Sophon cable, just get them to put their cable internet on. All you need is your passport and money to prepay the bill. They couldnt care less about who owns the place and in my experience they wont ask for any more information.

Buy your router at Tukcom where it is half the price.

That's a great news, I'll try to contact them then!

[...] instead of asking here, you should be contacting the provider of your choice and asking them what they require

I tried that, went to the True store and got "ejected" cause my condo's too high.......

thats insane.

probably a peasant who could not come up with a better excuse to avoid the paperwork.

Kuhn A: I only know what you have written across several forums. This is Thailand. You seem to have made a bit of a commotion. If someone were to complain, you would be the one to have to prove that you are not working & not the other way around. And if you are not working, why the need for such REAL internet access in your home for making all those SKYPE calls? I know. Just to watch the footies and call your sick Mother back home.

BTW I also had fun because the cute girl at the 3BB desk didn't speak any English so I got to do the whole thing in my fractured Thai. But you're a married guy.

Edited by JLCrab