Leonardo Dicaprio Calls For Thai Govt And Yingluck To Ban Ivory Trade

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the guy who was in 'The Beach' is barking orders at the Thai PM. So he's an authority on animal rights too. So gifted.

Funny thing is, the Thai PM will probably ask for his autograph first.

After the Obama pics with Yingluck I can't wait for the photo op with this guy. She will need two hankies to absorb the druling.
  • Like 1

This could actually be quite hilarious to watch.

You notice when something indefensible or genuinely embarrasing, it is only handled by the underling ministers, such as culture. Note the deathly silence about the Karen girl from anyone in government. So, in reality, what is Yingluck going to do when asked about this by a reporter? There is absolutely only one logical side to stand on, in this arguement. What line will Yingluck take to try to stand on both sides of the fence?

"You know, elephants, we trade ivory, falang no understand". I await her sheepish response to why this shouldn't be outlawed.

• Like 1

Wait

It's not banned in TL? blink.png

The more i know, the less I want to know sad.png

I was thinking the same thing. I thought there was an international ban on this barbaric business.

There is, but unfortunately Thailand's stance on most issues is "The UN is not my father".

It is illegal to trade ivory from African elephants in Thailand, but legal to trade ivory from Thai elephants. The result is of course that African ivory is smuggled into Thailand, where it is then claimed to originate from Thai elephants, and wupti, it all becomes legal.

Why it is legal to trade Thai ivory I think only Thais know - it may have to do with the infamous Thainess?

Live and learn, unfortunately. Thanks for that info, did not realise that any ivory trade was legal.

What line will Yingluck take to try to stand on both sides of the fence?

The standard answer: That's a good question and the proper authority will give the proper answer at the proper time.

You reckon she won't answer this one? What, and leave Leo hanging in the wind? No way.

Has she answered anything yet? If she does this will be a first.

The standard answer: That's a good question and the proper authority will give the proper answer at the proper time.

You reckon she won't answer this one? What, and leave Leo hanging in the wind? No way.

That's precisely my point. You reckon she won't give an answer one way or another? How can she refuse?

Ok that 5 million pay check, so whats next? I hear the culture minister has a problem with a NOK calendar, for 3 million US I can say I don't like it and it is bad for Africa's Fiji's Russia's image. Oh for crying out loud please keep those cards still, now what is it I was trying to say?

Yum Yum this chicken pie is the best and you will lose 10 kgs in 3 hours if you eat 5 in ten minutes.

Who honestly believes a word a celebrity says?

paid for comment muppets that is all they are.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

That's precisely my point. You reckon she won't give an answer one way or another? How can she refuse?

She will probably delegate the question to the in house sot.

Wait

I was thinking the same thing. I thought there was an international ban on this barbaric business.

From what I understand: It's illegal to kill elphants/rhinos for their ivory, BUT you can trade ivory from animals that die of natural causes. This might be old info. Anybody that has more information please share, as I am also a bit grey about this issue.

CITES

Ivory trade crackdown as CITES meeting nears

Janjira Pongrai

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) is trying to better regulate the ivory trade in Thailand before the high-profile CITES conference kicks off in Bangkok early next month.

The DNP will also work with a CITES team in conducting random checks at ivory shops in Thailand on Thursday as part of a measure to stamp out illegal ivory trade.

DNP chief Theerapat Prayurasiddhi vowed on Tuesday to enforce the law strictly.

The Secretariat of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) has informed Thailand to urgently address the smuggling of ivory from Africa.

Parties to CITES will gather in Thailand from March 3 to 14 for its 16th meeting.

Theerapat said the illegal ivory trade was a sensitive issue.

Nearly 300 entrepreneurs are engaged in the production, processing, and trade of ivory in Thailand. The ivory trade is legal here, as many elephants in the country are domesticated and issued identification papers. Nongovernment organisations (NGOs), however, have raised concerns about the smuggling of African elephants' ivory into Thailand.

Theerapat said 270 foreigners were arrested in immigration checkpoints in Europe and the United States over the past few years for carrying ivory products they had bought from Thailand. Over three tonnes of ivory was seized from them.

Although Thailand has no plan to ban ivory trade on its soil, Theerapat said the Kingdom would prove to CITES it had cracked down seriously on the trade of smuggled ivory.

Theerapat said his agency had already held discussions with relevant agencies and more than 10 Bangkokbased entrepreneurs to ensure strict compliance with laws governing the ivory trade. For example, entrepreneurs must identify the origin of ivory used for their products.

"If we find any shop fails to comply with our regulations, we will issue a warning the first time or perhaps the second time. But if the offence is repeated, we will ask the Commerce Ministry to revoke its licence," Theerapat said.

The DNP would hold similar discussions with entrepreneurs in 16 other provinces including Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nakhon Sawan, Phuket, Surin and Phitsanulok over the next two weeks.

Theerapat said the DNP would also advise that shops avoid selling ivory products to foreign tourists.

Somkuan Maliwan, a representative from an ivory shop, said most ivoryproduct buyers were foreigners. "So, it will be hard to provide cooperation on this requirement. For others, we are willing to cooperate," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-19

Wait

It's legal to take from domestic elephants that have died of natural causes. This leads to an illegal trade in which they kill African elephants, and then try to pass of the ivory as domestic Thai ivory. It is a loophole that should be closed as it is impossible to completely verify every piece of ivory is from where the seller claims it is from.

• Like 1