Aussie Life Savers Dive In To Boost Phuket Beach Guard Training

webfact

Aussie life savers dive in to boost Phuket beach guard training
Phuket Gazette

lg.jpg
The Phuket Lifeguard Club (PLC) has had a long association with Surf Life Saving in Australia. Photo: PLC

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Lifeguard Club (PLC) yesterday announced it has joined with the renowned Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) to develop world-class public education programs that aim to improve water safety and reduce the number of drownings on Phuket’s beaches.

This week, six senior lifeguard trainers from Phuket beaches and resorts worked with SLSA Community Education Manager Anthony Bradstreet to adapt the successful Australian Surf safety Program (“Surf Ed”) to local Phuket conditions, the PLC explained in a press release.

The program is one of a series of initiatives from the new Phuket Lifesaving Education Unit. The main objective is to provide a sustainable program with Thai people having ownership of the water safety initiatives.

Phuket Lifesaving Education Unit project manager Jayne MacDougall proposed the program be developed to educate school students about how to enjoy the ocean safely. An adult education program is also being developed.

“The Lifeguard Club will have six professional and volunteer trainers who will visit schools and teach a three-level water-safety program. The aim is to reach every school in Phuket over the next 12 months and for the program to become a regular part of the curriculum,” Ms MacDougall said.

The program will be launched at a well-known international school in Phuket with the Thai trainers delivering the course under supervision from the Australian trainers. Thai trainers will then roll the program out across the island at schools interested in participating, she added.

“Ignorance of dangerous conditions and a lack of water safety knowledge are both key factors that contribute to drowning. This program will equip students with the knowledge to minimize risk to themselves and to others in the ocean,” Ms MacDougall said.

Anthony Bradstreet believes the Lifesaving Education Unit will be very popular with students.

“I am also very impressed with the skills of the PLC trainers; they are very knowledgeable and skilled lifeguards who have a passion for drowning prevention and lifesaving education,” he said.

The Australia-Thailand Institute and Australian Sports Outreach Program have funded the project’s start-up costs – but it will now be up to local people to get behind the project and support it.

Anyone interested in supporting this project to make Phuket’s waters safe can contact Jayne MacDougall who will advise them how they can assist (email: jayneymac [at] yahoo [dot] com [dot] au )

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Aussie-life-savers-dive-in-to-boost-Phuket-beach-guard-training-20440.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-03-09

Sadly, the concept of risking one's life to save someone else seems to be completely non-existent amongst these types of professions in Thailand. I wonder if people would be safer with NO lifeguards, because at least then they wouldn't have the false sense of security?

• Like 1

The SLSA has an excellent record given the huge number of people on Australian beaches every day, especially, but not only, during summer.

The issue however, is not just to train the local schoolkids and adults about water safety, it should be to also develop methods to provide clear and concise information to members of the public using the beaches, as the vast majority of drownings that we hear about, are tourists.

Australian beaches too are the big draw-card for many tourists down-under, and yet the safety aspect is handled very well, with clear signage and patrols, so I imagine the Australians will be recommending specific improvements in the way local beaches are controlled, and in the posting of life savers at major public beaches.

Simple handouts can also help to give tourists basic information to point them away from dangerous or unpatrolled beaches, and perhaps tell them a few basic and important points about safety in the sea.

...and as soon as they leave the locals will go back to scratching their balls and eating som tam

This is some racist scheit for sure.

In the past 5 years the life guarding here has come a long way, improved 1000%. The guys on the beach I go to have their heads up, are looking at the water, and I have actually been involved in some saves with them. Further improvement would be competent CPR, as I've seen unconscious people come out of the water and no CPR. I mean, even the ambulance guys aren't doing it.

A big problem is Karon Beach and it's size. it only takes a couple minutes for someone to drown, and unless they put manned towers, guards with binoculars every couple hundred meters down the beach, people will continue to drown there.

• Like 2

Sadly, the concept of risking one's life to save someone else seems to be completely non-existent amongst these types of professions in Thailand. I wonder if people would be safer with NO lifeguards, because at least then they wouldn't have the false sense of security?

If they were well trained then their confidence levels would be much higher & so they would not think they were putting their lives at risk to save others. In all the surf rescues I undertook, usually in heavy surf with strong rips, I never once thought I was risking my own life simply because I knew I was a good swimmer & properly trained.

• Like 2

...and as soon as they leave the locals will go back to scratching their balls and eating som tam

perhaps...but don't underestimate the sense of purpose that can be instilled in someone by a little training.

Ah but the fallacy in your comment lies in the fact that people DO NOT risk their lives to save others. They assess the risk based on their competency, training , experience and resources available at the time before making an informed decision on the best course of action. That is what the training is about.

Great seed funding by the australian tax payer for a wealthy part of thailand..

as if the local phket government and businesses couldn't afford to kick in for this.?!?!

Sadly a well intention program that will help a few but be dropped as soon as the seed funding runs out.

I hope i'm proved completely wrong, but who would bet against it happening that way?

Edited by kaorop

In Ao Nang Krabi they get trained by the Royal Thai Navy Frogs and Scandinavian Search And Rescue. Every year I go out with volunteers to do Rescue Diving Training. The local Thais are very interested in these courses and the DO develop a high standard of life saving. During the trainings the CPR is over viewed by nurses from the Hospital. What I still do not understand that the A.E.D. is still not available for rescue service.

This device can help a lot of patients.

Thanks to SLSA for the training and I'm sure the beaches will be safer. And yes If the tourist ignore every red flag and sign for NO Swimming you can be the best trained person but if the swimmer ignore all signs and gets into trouble it will be a very good job for a rescuer to save their asses.

This is some racist scheit for sure.

In the past 5 years the life guarding here has come a long way, improved 1000%. The guys on the beach I go to have their heads up, are looking at the water, and I have actually been involved in some saves with them. Further improvement would be competent CPR, as I've seen unconscious people come out of the water and no CPR. I mean, even the ambulance guys aren't doing it.

A big problem is Karon Beach and it's size. it only takes a couple minutes for someone to drown, and unless they put manned towers, guards with binoculars every couple hundred meters down the beach, people will continue to drown there.

Understood, but beaches in places like Australia are MUCH longer - in many cases they are tens of kilometres longer than in Thailand, but they are broken up into patrolled "safe" areas and unpatrolled sections, which are clearly marked.

People are constantly warned not to swim on unpatrolled beaches, and for those that do, they have to realise the dangers.

As for setting up safe zones, part of the job of the lifesavers is to identify areas that have a minimum of dangerous conditions, such as gutters, rips and cross currents, and to then set up the patrol at that area -yes with towers if possible, but certainly with inflatable boats or surf-boards, and other flotation devices. If an area is known to commonly have rips, then the best idea is to make sure that there are several people on guard, and that there is a life-line as per those used on surf beaches in Australia for example.

True lifesaving starts with education and training; education of the people using the beaches, and training for the surf-lifesavers.

Thailand is just coming to grips with this, and not a minute too soon, so I applaud their efforts, and I believe that we all must recognise those who work to improve the safety of our beaches, both for the enjoyment of our own people, as well as for tourists.

Well done, but its not over, training is ongoing for the entire life of the service.

I am sure that the dedicated folk involved would very much appreciate the support of the community as well as the input by the Australians.

If you understand the conditions, enter the water with appropriate equipment and know what you are doing you are not risking your life.

I was in Karon beach a few years ago and could see the rip. 2 Indians went into the rip, I got the young boy out as I was only at the edge of the rip and encouraged the dad to keep coming over towards me. They both got out. What was lacking on the beach that day was rip signs and adequate equipment for the life guards. I think the surf school was the absentee lifeguards for this stretch of the beach. However only 15 mins before there was a dramatic rescue of two adults in the same spot.

Its a terrible thing to watch people hepless in the ocean. Usually people enter the water uneducated. Maybe they also need to incorporate education of tourists via a 15 min film on the planes and buses coming into the coast.

My uncle ran a building on the Gold Coast in OZ. He saw a number of Japanese tourists get into trouble; they would get off the plane and walk straight into the ocean, flags or no flags, lifeguards or no lifeguards.

I think its great that OZ life guards are giving a hand to the locals.

Edited by Chris Lawrence

Us Aussies were all taught to swim at early ages. That was essential as we mostly all head to the surf and much of our recreations was shooting waves by boards or body surfing. We learned and were taught the basics, recognise a rip and if you do get caught - don't fight it - go with it. You may end up a lot further out but you can then swim back in without getting exhausted or call for assistance by raising a hand. Similarly we all went through basic Red Cross training in primary school and others to far better educated levels later. Within the Surf Life Saving movement, discipline was taught, methodologies and so on. Australia has far more dangerous beaches than anything Phuket has to offer but it all starts with education and then observation and patrols. These guys are doing a great job and they will save lives. But the sad part about it, as already pointed out, funding in this area will be minimal if at all from the govt and will rely on handouts from locals or NGO's. At what price a life Thailand?

^ Standards have dropped, times have changed and sport -swimming incl - less of a priority for many youth.

look at the latest Australian drowning reports - 284 last year, continuing the average of around 300 every year for last ten years.

3 beach drownings today 9 March in Victoria: Three Men Drown At Victorian Beaches

20% teenage school leavers cannot swim 50m or float/tread water for two minutes

Oct 23, 2012

An Australian life-saving society is strengthening its push for compulsory swimming lessons in schools, after a new report showed a 25 per cent increase in young adults drowning in the last ten years.

"Research shows that more than 20 per cent of children leaving school this year won't be able to swim 50 metres or float for just two minutes, even if their life depended on it,"

source

The relationship between Phuket Lifeguards and Australian clubs has existed for years; look at the Phuket board, incl Dave Fields who has been coming to Phuket for many years for training, also Bob Creek (Cudgen Headland and Northern territory respectively)

^ Standards have dropped, times have changed and sport -swimming incl - less of a priority for many youth.

look at the latest Australian drowning reports - 284 last year, continuing the average of around 300 every year for last ten years.

3 beach drownings today 9 March in Victoria: Three Men Drown At Victorian Beaches

Oct 23, 2012

An Australian life-saving society is strengthening its push for compulsory swimming lessons in schools, after a new report showed a 25 per cent increase in young adults drowning in the last ten years.

"Research shows that more than 20 per cent of children leaving school this year won't be able to swim 50 metres or float for just two minutes, even if their life depended on it,"

source

The relationship between Phuket Lifeguards and Australian clubs has existed for years; look at the Phuket board, incl Dave Fields who has been coming to Phuket for many years for training, also Bob Creek (Cudgen Headland and Northern territory respectively)

while snorkelling with friends at separate unpatrolled beaches across Victoria

Oct 23, 2012

source

many of the drownings are by kids under three in backyard pools and the number is diminishing as people fence their pools and more importantly start taking some personal reponsibilty

many of the drownings are by kids under three in backyard pools and the number is diminishing as people fence their pools and more importantly start taking some personal reponsibilty

Or you could consider the facts - if you believe the Royal Lifesaving Stats

Of the 284 (down from 310 the year before), just 21 were children 0-4

The biggest group of drowning deaths is in the age group 45-54, with 97 deaths, 74% of these were male.

48% of all females who drowned were over 55; 31% of all males also over 55.

Do people over-estimate their abilities from younger days, when everyone was a superhero bronzed lifeguard, battling rips, swimming miles and so on?

One method of improving tourists' knowledge of the dangers of the surf is to put information on incoming planes. The technology exists, with the mandatory aircraft safety information being showed on video on some airlines, rather than by bored attendants. Plenty of opportunity to insert a shirt video there.

There are repeated press issues about tourists being unaware of the dangers of the surf. Particularly now that incoming planes to Australia no longer have this information available. Dunno why. Clearly don't care.

One university which has many overseas students has two courses which are mandatory for overseas students - 'Safety in the Bush' & 'Safety in the Surf'.

Or you could consider the facts - if you believe the Royal Lifesaving Stats

Of the 284 (down from 310 the year before), just 21 were children 0-4

The biggest group of drowning deaths is in the age group 45-54, with 97 deaths, 74% of these were male.

48% of all females who drowned were over 55; 31% of all males also over 55.

Do people over-estimate their abilities from younger days, when everyone was a superhero bronzed lifeguard, battling rips, swimming miles and so on?

That age group were the Japanese tourist going into the surf at the Gold Coast only three hours after coming out of customs at the airport?

Its not overestimating ability but staying within your own limits. You can also push your limit, but know when mother nature will beat you.

You would not have seen anything like this in years past

This is yesterday at Nai Harn Beach and what you have in this photo is in the middle some Thais in a bit of a current. They are standing in shoulder depth water and before anything got serious there is lifeguard on the outside on a surfboard (he paddled out there when noticing current development) and lifeguard at the shoreline advising those people to get out of the current.

post-92090-0-81985400-1363494976_thumb.j