What Size Is Yours?

Bluetongue

Actually I'm thinking long term here ... but does/has anyone dug an in-ground tank and made that part of their slab and then used the dirt removed to raise their dwelling above the natural ground level.

Building on the higher ground (might only be 300 mil ... but that could make the difference) after the fill has been 'seasoned'.

Just tossing round ideas for a build in a few years time.

Its costly....think swimming pool without the trimmings....however does not have to be engineered to the same level...but still costly.

But having said that, we may be doing that shortly....we shall be digging a huge pond that shall surround the house.

e

The standard guideline for rainwater collection requirement in Australia is a capacity of 20,000 ltrs. I have 6 x 3000 ltr tanks & 3 X 2000 ltr for rainwater, plus we have 1 X 2000 ltr for town water. That has been OK for the last few years but this year I am running short of water in my fresh water tanks. The fresh water is used for the kitchen, and one bathroom only. Laundry is always done using town water.

Previous years we never used more than half our capacity but this year we are looking to the sky for help.

I think the 20,000 ltr requirement is pretty accurate.

This is estimated around 3m3. For a comparison.

post-70928-0-48215600-1361825591_thumb.j

There are 4 so the water is used outside the raining season...

Actually I'm thinking long term here ... but does/has anyone dug an in-ground tank and made that part of their slab and then used the dirt removed to raise their dwelling above the natural ground level.

Building on the higher ground (might only be 300 mil ... but that could make the difference) after the fill has been 'seasoned'.

Just tossing round ideas for a build in a few years time.

Its costly....think swimming pool without the trimmings....however does not have to be engineered to the same level...but still costly.

But having said that, we may be doing that shortly....we shall be digging a huge pond that shall surround the house.

You can go up, instead of down...

I visited this place once, only time I have actually come across under ground storage.

The interesting thing was the roof design (to catch the water) and the natural filtration system as the water came off the roof.

Very nice place if you are ever in the area :)

http://www.chumbeisland.com/accommodation/eco-accomodation-zanzibar/

• Like 1