So, You Think You Can Run Thailand Any Better?....

krisb

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elevated side walks, NOT. If they can set upand tear down full bars on the streets every night why can't they just carry the items they are selling up a flight of stairs, or use the disabled elevator if they remembered to put them in? Not to mention the uproar from all the store fronts on street level that.would loose their walk by traffic. Instead impose an increadibly high fine for blocking foot traffic and all the funds are split between sidewalk maintenance and the temples, let the monks contact the police to endorse the fines.

Next take out all the traffic boxes and centralize the traffic light controls to a main center which monitored the whole city and runs a pulse system of traffic rather than a convoy system.

Use all the police from the traffic boxes to enforce the side walk vendor fines.

• Like 1

No farang could run Thailand.

But anti-corruption measures can be implemented, like they did yaers ago in Hongkong. = Increase the salary of state-employees by 300 %. If after that, if caught in an corruption-sceme, the accused looses employment, pension benefits and all social standing. It worked nicely.

Unfortunately, does not work in Thailand because corruption is not limited to governement institutons, but covers the entire private-industry as well. It's a way of life.

So for now: If you want something done the official way, it can take 2 years, if circumventing the "official-way", it can take as little as 2 weeks to achieve the same goal.

I do not expect, that during my lifetime, I will see any major changes as far as this is concerned, But to make things worse, my 2 stepdaughters (age 25 to 29) can't perceieve any major changes as far as this is concerned during their livetime.

Somewhat depressing, I find.

Cheers.

But anti-corruption measures can be implemented, like they did yaers ago in Hongkong. = Increase the salary of state-employees by 300 %. If after that, if caught in an corruption-sceme, the accused looses employment, pension benefits and all social standing. It worked nicely.

I would agree with this, both positive and negative reinforcement for gov employees (which includes the police). How to pay for it? Create a taxing organization very much like the US Internal Revenue Service and collect taxes from everyone who should be paying. Pay the director a huge salary and ensure he/she is incorruptible, with broad powers to go after any and all. Pipe dreams.

Would there be any popular support for reform? How long would it be before the army stepped in again?

Corruption is the fundamental problem beneath all others. It's the life blood of the country and, if it ever is dealt with adequately, it will take more decades than any of us here have to offer.

Quite simple. Blow up Pattaya.

Otherwise I'd just be a benevolent dictator. You'd love me.

In this day and age of blowing up things like Bali and the problems in the South I find your comment disturbing to say the least.

I find your seriousness quite disturbing to say the least.

Have you tried joking at the airport for the past few years? Wake up.

In any event who in their right mind would want to destroy one of Thailand's main sources of revenue just because they have personal problems with a society that is not founded by Puritans.

• Like 2

I think it must be an awful job although it sounds fantastic. I hear an awful lot of "it should be this, it should be that" talk going on, which, I am also admitting I do.

............... What do you think?.......................

If you became the "Prime Minister" of Thailand, the first falang Prime Minister of Thailand ever, how would you make one of the most interesting countries in the world even better?. How would people of Thai Visa Forum, or the world media say " Its now even better, thanks to the new Prime Minister!

How would you make a change for the better?

smile.png

How hard can it be? He does it from Bahrain.

No, I couldn't run Thailand any better - nor would I want to try and I admire those who can/do. I first visited just before the 2006 coup and with all the corruption and the present PM being elected I think the general population has the government and political situation that it deserves. You beat me to it, Lemoncake, - Thailand has the potential to be an amazing country but really, what could you do with or for the general population? and why?