Bus Service Now Available Directly From Bangkok To Cambodia

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually started on the 29th December from Mo Chit to Phnom Penh with Siem Reap to follow early 2013. Yes...the bus site is an absolute mess as surely most travellers would be foreigners??

The Thai Bus company signed an agreement with a Cambodian bus for the border to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh sector.

We were going to Siem Reap but we gave the big bus a miss and went by mini bus instead, because of the hotel pick up. This was, for a change, a fairly relaxed affair and we got to the border with no hassle and only the 2 of us on the mini bus!!

For the route to Cambodia effective on 29 December 2012,BKK-Aranyaprathet - Poipet - Siem Riap with the distance of 424 km, passenger fees of 750 Baht (25 US$) will take 7 hours to go.

On the other hand, BKK-Aranyaprathet - Poipet - Phnom Penh with the distance of 719 km, passenger fees of 900 Baht (30 US$) will take 11 hours to go. Both are the First Class Aircon bus of Khor type

ALSO;

Transport Co is planning to open more international routes in 2013 in
addition to BKK - Phonom Penh with the distance of 719 km and BKK - Siem
Reap with the distance of 424 km such as

1. Siem Reap - Sisaket - Ubon Ratchathani

2. Siem Reap - Pataya

3. Battambang - Chanthaburi via pong Namron

4. Sihanukville - Trat

In 2014, Transport Co is planning to open more international routes to Burma and Vietnam to boost more trades such as

1. Mae Sod - Myawaddy

2. Chiang Rai - Kentung

3. BKK - Yangon

Edited by harleyclarkey

I wonder how they solve the issue with the Cambodian Visa on arrival.

A flat rate for each passenger or each person have to negotiate by themselves with the Officials?

You don't need a Cambodian Visa if you have a Thai visa

Do you mean that i with Non O-A Visa, dont need a visa for going to Cambodia? Than I always payed my 20 USD for nothing.

I think you may be getting confused with the 2015 ASEAN deal where only 1 visa is needed for most ASEAN countries?

Edited by Cuchulainn

Usual Thai website shambles!!

huh...a Thai bus company...offering a service in their own country..presumbaly to take Thai people to Cambodia...and you whinge that the web site is in Thai??? I am sure the greyhound bus web site in the US is in every language known to man...come on get real. While the foreigners in Thailand may be important (in their own minds) that isn't neccessarily the case for the rest of the population.

huh...a Thai bus company...offering a service in their own country..presumbaly to take Thai people to Cambodia...and you whinge that the web site is in Thai??? I am sure the greyhound bus web site in the US is in every language known to man...come on get real. While the foreigners in Thailand may be important (in their own minds) that isn't neccessarily the case for the rest of the population.

I'm not whinging about it being in Thai as i can read Thai. I'm saying it's a shambles.

A flat rate for each passenger or each person have to negotiate by themselves with the Officials?

Thais don't need a visa. Well at least my missus didn't last time we went there. I had to cough up 1000baht (no visa required...corruption)...big deal.

I'm not whinging about it being in Thai as i can read Thai. I'm saying it's a shambles.

OK point taken...sorry

If two traveling its cheaper and a better trip t take the train up to Aran ( 48 baht, thai's free) and share a taxi to SR for $35

As the bus will most likely ONLY have farangs it will be a head ache getting thru immigration on the Cambodian side

Poi Pet is $20 for visa and 100 baht for ticket to buy visa on arrival

Having lived in Thailand and Cambodia, why the hell anyone with any time in would voluntarily spend 11 hours on a bus beats me. A wise old man once told me 'Any bloody fool can be uncomfortable'.

11 hours? I doubt it. I've done that route many times in a mini-van and it was around 14 hours, and that was hauling ass. Being that a air-con bus to Sisaket is 8 hours, there's just no way. If they do, I will be super impressed. I will give this one a shot for sure.

I wonder if the bus will stop before the border and try to get the passengers to buy a Cambodian visa that they don't need--like the tuk tuks do near Poipet.

Do you mean that i with Non O-A Visa, dont need a visa for going to Cambodia? Than I always payed my 20 USD for nothing.

What utter bullshit;

If ur a Farang u need a visa for Cambodia no matter what , if any visa u hold for Thailand $20 or an evisa for ( now ) $28

• Like 1

11 hours? I doubt it. I've done that route many times in a mini-van and it was around 14 hours, and that was hauling ass. Being that a air-con bus to Sisaket is 8 hours, there's just no way. If they do, I will be super impressed. I will give this one a shot for sure.

I wonder if the bus will stop before the border and try to get the passengers to buy a Cambodian visa that they don't need--like the tuk tuks do near Poipet.

Bangkok to Aran is less than 5 hours ( i have driven it)

cross the border ( 30 minutes to 1 hour)

grab a taxi to Battambang 2 1/2 hours

Batt to Phnom Penh 4 hours

No way a bus will do it in 11

OR the border to SR max 2 1/2 hours

Stop before the border for visa??? why when u stop at the border and HAVE to get a visa unless u got an evisa in advance

Some people like to travel slow rather than fly an see the country, although i don't think i would bus it from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. Me i prefer to drive my own car when i am in Thailand, Laos . Cambodia and Malaysia

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Since Cambodia and Thailand drive on different sides of the road, the bus is going to have wheel on the wrong side for part of the journey (probably the Camb segment) which is something of a safety issue....

After living in the U.S. most of my life, I have had many opportunites to drive cars in the U.S setup to drive in England. It works. Cars still turn left or right. Just have to pay attention is all.

• Like 1

What utter bullshit;

If ur a Farang u need a visa for Cambodia no matter what , if any visa u hold for Thailand $20 or an evisa for ( now ) $28

Yes, there is no way for a Westerner to enter Cambodia without a visa, period. It makes no difference whatsoever what sort of Thai visa you have. They are completely different countries.

That said, paying 1,000 Thai baht for a Cambodian visa is just highway robbery. A Cambodian visa is $20; 1,000 baht comes to over $30. Simply have US dollars on you and insist that they take them. Or better yet, get an e-visa online before you go for $25 (worth the extra $5 not to eat up a page in your passport!)

Battambang to PP in 4 hours?? In a Ferrari maybe!! laugh.png

Battambang to PP is now 5.5 to 6.5 hours by bus. Big improvement over the old days of 12-13 hours (early 2000s). No way can it be done in 4.

Have u driven it in ur own car?

I drove it 3 times in August/ Sept averaged 4 1/2 hours ( sorry i said 4) good road an only 290 kms or so. its faster than driving to SR which is 5 1/2 with a stop for lunch and i drive a honda civic

Since Cambodia and Thailand drive on different sides of the road, the bus is going to have wheel on the wrong side for part of the journey (probably the Camb segment) which is something of a safety issue....

Well... under EU regulation UK citizens can drive in around rest of the Europe with out any problems as long as they have international insurance of course...

When Ireland joined the EU it was suggested that they move from driving on the left to the right to conform with most of the union but this was thought to be too much of a culture shock for the Irish people.

So they reconsidered and planned to introduce it gradually instead.......

That reminds me of the yarn where they were going to trial it and have Trucks,buses etc.move to driving on the right at 1st of the month and if sucessfull have cars motorbikes etc follow suit the following month.. (sorry couldnt help it)

Considering the habits of the drivers, the maintenance of the buses, the condition of the roads, and the overall me-firstism Thai and Cambodian road ethic, I'd say which side of the bus the steering wheel sits is pretty far down the safety concern list.

My opinion,

Who is passenger on Buses in South East Asia when other possibilities are also available for a reasonable price, risks his life, for a small gain, anyway! whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

1. Only, if you have "the special" 2 country - 1 Visa possibility in your Passport! If not, no "Freebe" -as far as I know.

2. I not sure if this "special" Visa is already available rolleyes.gif

Thais don't need a visa. Well at least my missus didn't last time we went there. I had to cough up 1000baht (no visa required...corruption)...big deal.

Yes, for 2 weeks visits, NO VISA requirement for Thais and Cambodians crossing the border (also when arriving on an Airport!),

this solution, only since 1,5 - 2 years!

A shame for neighboring countries! sad.png

PS For what did you have to pay the 1.000.- Baht? At what border? blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

If two traveling its cheaper and a better trip t take the train up to Aran ( 48 baht, thai's free) and share a taxi to SR for $35

As the bus will most likely ONLY have farangs it will be a head ache getting thru immigration on the Cambodian side

Poi Pet is $20 for visa and 100 baht for ticket to buy visa on arrival

Having lived in Thailand and Cambodia, why the hell anyone with any time in would voluntarily spend 11 hours on a bus beats me. A wise old man once told me 'Any bloody fool can be uncomfortable'.

Reasons - Tight budget, no excess money and or greedy! wink.png

Some say, = I like to see the countryside on the way. rolleyes.gif

Thais do not need a Visa for up to 2 weeks, but Falangs-Barangs need! coffee1.gif