Nearly New Cbr250S For Sale, Why ?

cornishcarlos

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with others, they're boring if you can afford something nicer.

I have been riding scooters and small 100-125 manuals in Thailand for a few years and finally decided it was time to take the plunge and look at something bigger.

I rented a CBR250 a few weeks back and had a blast, but I was invited on a trip to Khao Kao, 500km away from Chiang Mai. I was informed the smalled bike going was a Versys and I was encouraged to take either an ER6N or a Versys, I chose the ER6N since I am short. Well, I just got back from doing 1100Km in the past 36hrs and I can imagine why I would ever want a CBR250. The ER6N is only 40kg heavier and the powerband is so even that even though it has 3x the power, I never felt shy of opening it up. It was extremely newbie friendly. I will be talking to a dealer ASAP.

Now, if money is the issue, I can see why to choose a CBR, for the price point it is a great buy unless you want to find something older but bigger.

I bought my CBR250 with ABS in November and I'm more than happy with
it. No problems with engine rattle or any other past CBR problem - rust
developing etc. I've clocked up over 8000 kms without the slightest
hitch.

Would I recommend someone to buy one? Yes,
at 122,000 baht it's a good bike for people like myself that can't
afford anything bigger unless buying a used bike with a dodgy history or
no green book.

I commute 70 kms each way to work and still enjoy it as much as my first day riding it.

• Like 1

I rode one a few weeks ago and, well, they are a bit boring, unless you drive it fast and then you are dead.

Perhaps the owners are either dead bored or just dead.

My advice, buy one from a bored guy.......................

I think this a serious issue in Asia, everything that moves is so bloody boring, pig ugly cars, shit looking trucks and boring bikes....and where does all this stuff emanate from?..Japan...a country that makes a bloody ritual out of making a cup of tea. Someone give them a sodding teabag!!!

My Thai friends that were excited when the CBR250 was launched, have over time all sold their CBR250's. Similar reasons in each case, the attraction of the Honda brand means a lot and it was perceived as a fast, exciting bike. It wasn't that much of a leap from a fast scooter to justify making payments for some, and those that bought cash have moved onto something big.

Well I did a quick count on Facebook, and I'm just speaking of 6 ex CBR owners. In this small group, the local marketing hype didn't match the bike - nothing new here

hitch.

no green book.

I commute 70 kms each way to work and still enjoy it as much as my first day riding it.

Boring doesn't count if you are a daily commuter, reliability overrides that, but if you are a casual rider, surely it is all about the pleasure. Biking, especially in Thailand has to be fun, if it ain't fun...get rid.

There is another important aspect, when considering the alternative, an older bike, can you fix it yourself, are parts available, since most of the bigger bikes are imports. Newer bikes are full of electronics, so not as easy to DIY and only a few companies (maybe not in you area) will be able to fix them.

So it's boring then...............

hitch.

no green book.

Boring doesn't count if you are a daily commuter, reliability overrides that, but if you are a casual rider, surely it is all about the pleasure. Biking, especially in Thailand has to be fun, if it ain't fun...get rid.

There is another important aspect, when considering the alternative, an older bike, can you fix it yourself, are parts available, since most of the bigger bikes are imports. Newer bikes are full of electronics, so not as easy to DIY and only a few companies (maybe not in you area) will be able to fix them.

So it's boring then...............

Cbr250 is never boring and it is quite fun. I am not sure how you end up with this conclusion without owning one for some time.

If the owner is boring, any bike is boring.

• Like 2

Thanks guys..

Don't really need another debate about Ninja vs CBR.

Was just interested in theories as to why there were quite a few nearly new ones for sale.

Thought I had missed something bad in my research, but all reasons posted are valid.

Still think it is a bargain for a run around/mini tourer.

Yes & I was not looking for a debate but was curious about that "sophisticated" statement ;)

As to why you see so many for sale I think it is obvious.

It is not a bad bike but they sell tons of them.

Many folks tire of them quickly for what ever reasons

be it, financial,lack of passion/power/enthusiasm who knows but the owners.

But at the same time you do not see many Ninja 250's for sale new or otherwise.

Yes they do not sell as many as the lower priced Honda's but the ratio

is still more than lopsided in favor of folks keeping their Ninja's longer for what ever reasons.

Actually Honda sells more CBR 250 than Kawasaki sells of all their bikes larger than 151cc put together...so without knowing Kawasaki exact breakdown amongst their models it's more likely that the N250 actually has the worst retention rate.

I rode one a few weeks ago and, well, they are a bit boring, unless you drive it fast and then you are dead.

Perhaps the owners are either dead bored or just dead.

My advice, buy one from a bored guy.......................

I think this a serious issue in Asia, everything that moves is so bloody boring, pig ugly cars, shit looking trucks and boring bikes....and where does all this stuff emanate from?..Japan...a country that makes a bloody ritual out of making a cup of tea. Someone give them a sodding teabag!!!

My Thai friends that were excited when the CBR250 was launched, have over time all sold their CBR250's. Similar reasons in each case, the attraction of the Honda brand means a lot and it was perceived as a fast, exciting bike. It wasn't that much of a leap from a fast scooter to justify making payments for some, and those that bought cash have moved onto something big.

Well I did a quick count on Facebook, and I'm just speaking of 6 ex CBR owners. In this small group, the local marketing hype didn't match the bike - nothing new here

And how many ex-N250 owners do you know? I propose that neither bike really provides the premise that they're big bikes. However the ease of getting into C250 ownership compared to N250, along with the relative hosing one takes upon resale with team green (expect to lose at least 1/3 of the bike's value versus 15%) it makes sense that someone going for their first 'big bike' would go Honda.

However the ease of getting into C250 ownership compared to N250, along with the relative hosing one takes upon resale with team green (expect to lose at least 1/3 of the bike's value versus 15%) it makes sense that someone going for their first 'big bike' would go Honda.

Of course I agree cheaper is cheaper when one is forced to consider price as the first

criteria for a bike selection.

But it has not been my experience from perusing MOCYC dot com this last year or so

that N250's go for 1/3 less than new

Unless of course they are more than 3 years old.

I do see many for 1/5th less or 20% less than new & a year or a year & a half old.

See them most often in the 120-135k range for sale.

Now look at a Non ABS CBR-250 is 100k new? Most sell 80k average prices I have seen?

Not surprisingly 20% less. I think that is kind of standard for used meaning 20% drop to

the first owner.

For the N250 to be a 1/3rd loss as you say I would see them at 104k or less at least.

Yet I do not

But hey at the end of the day the free market decides what anything is worth

But more importantly folks should buy something like a bike they want based on more than price.

Of course that is not always possible & if someone is limited in funds but wants in today they may buy based on price alone.

Also I am sure many want some buffer funds left as they should for decent insurance/gear/tires etc.

But it is all good....or I should say as good as it gets for here in Thailand smile.png

We do lack for choices that is for sure if you were raised in other countries where bike selection &

prices are much better given what you get.

I personally would never consider a 250 back where I came from. But for the most part I have to say

it has been ok here with it & for the riding I am currently doing.

Edited by mania

However the ease of getting into C250 ownership compared to N250, along with the relativentire hosing one takes upon resale with team green (expect to lose at least 1/3 of the bike's value versus 15%) it makes sense that someone going for their first 'big bike' would go Honda.

Of course I agree cheaper is cheaper when one is forced to consider price as the firstcriteria for a bike selection.But it has not been my experience from perusing MOCYC dot com this last year or sothat N250's go for 1/3 less than newUnless of course they are more than 3 years old.I do see many for 1/5th less or 20% less than new & a year or a year & a half old.See them most often in the 120-135k range for sale.Now look at a Non ABS CBR-250 is 100k new? Most sell 80k average prices I have seen?Not surprisingly 20% less. I think that is kind of standard for used meaning 20% drop tothe first owner.For the N250 to be a 1/3rd loss as you say I would see them at 104k or less at least.Yet I do notBut hey at the end of the day the free market decides what anything is worthBut more importantly folks should buy something like a bike they want based on more than price.Of course that is not always possible & if someone is limited in funds but wants in today they may buy based on price alone.Also I am sure many want some buffer funds left as they should for decent insurance/gear/tires etc.But it is all good....or I should say as good as it gets for here in Thailand :)We do lack for choices that is for sure if you were raised in other countries where bike selection &prices are much better given what you get.I personally would never consider a 250 back where I came from. But for the most part I have to sayit has been ok here with it & for the riding I am currently doing.

Fully agree about being spoilt for choice. Second hand market of legal bikes there sure embarrasses what is offered in the Kingdom.

I was basing my percentages off what I recalled; obviously I was a bit off.

• Like 1

Thanks guys..

Was just interested in theories as to why there were quite a few nearly new ones for sale.

Thought I had missed something bad in my research, but all reasons posted are valid.

Yes & I was not looking for a debate but was curious about that "sophisticated" statement ;)

is still more than lopsided in favor of folks keeping their Ninja's longer for what ever reasons.

Actually Honda sells more CBR 250 than Kawasaki sells of all their bikes larger than 151cc put together...so without knowing Kawasaki exact breakdown amongst their models it's more likely that the N250 actually has the worst retention rate.

Worst retention rates? Not sure about that, of course the cbr sells a lot because it's cheap as chips but I don't see that many Ninjas for sale. It seems the owners are quite happy with them, even you kept yours for well over 3 years and you disliked the bike long before it was purchased for you.

I really can't imagine owning a bike I disliked for so long... The CBR500 looks ok though, maybe have a look at that next time you're over here?

I dont dislike my bike, but i question why on earth i keep it ??

Beside when i have to pay tax & insurance, the longest ride i have is to the gym, about 1 km,

and i have a couple of scooters that work for that purpose.

Otherwise it's more of a hurdle in the way to move

My comments about the CBR250 being boring have been a bit misconstrued, I added "or dead", meaning it could be exciting if driven like a racing bike, which is what it is. Doing this in Thailand, for me, is suicidal and therefore inappropriate, leaving the rider crawling along at an unnatural and boring pace.

A more appropriate and therefore more interesting bike would be one that can be driven slower and still be fun, that is personal opinion, of course and why I think people get rid so quickly.

They are incredibly good value and that is undoubtedly why people buy them in large numbers in the first place.

What i hate the most about the cbr 250 is that tacky blue center in the tachometer.

Killed a dtracker yesterday on canal road, still looking a for a Ninja250 to challenge at a stoplight....Im sure i'll have my ass handed to me, but just want to see by how much.

did some airfilter work today, acceleration is up. Cat and O2 sensor mod are next.

Edited by KRS1

My comments about the CBR250 being boring have been a bit misconstrued, I added "or dead", meaning it could be exciting if driven like a racing bike, which is what it is. Doing this in Thailand, for me, is suicidal and therefore inappropriate, leaving the rider crawling along at an unnatural and boring pace.

A more appropriate and therefore more interesting bike would be one that can be driven slower and still be fun, that is personal opinion, of course and why I think people get rid so quickly.

I think you caught the situation very accurately, a friend used to buy the fastest bikes that money could buy,

with as much Z & R in the name as possible, but he got caught and after a year in prison he realized that he would have no fun abiding the law on these bikes, he ended up buying a harley that would give some sense of action within speed limit

Thanks guys..

Worst retention rates? Not sure about that, of course the cbr sells a lot because it's cheap as chips but I don't see that many Ninjas for sale. It seems the owners are quite happy with them, even you kept yours for well over 3 years and you disliked the bike long before it was purchased for you.

I really can't imagine owning a bike I disliked for so long... The CBR500 looks ok though, maybe have a look at that next time you're over here?

Let's assume that the N250 accounts for a quarter of Kawasaki's sales figures for big bikes. That means that for approximately every 20 C250 sold there's one N250. Is the number of C250 for sale account for 20x as many N250?

I think ive had enough of this CBR 250 anyone want to trade me for their ninja 250 ?

Life is too short to wait for the CBR250 to hit 145kph.

:lol:

well to be fair even the Ninja takes a little while after it hits 150 to go higher

Actually 5th gear gets you 150 but then 6th takes about 15 seconds to reach 160 kph & onwards

I think ive had enough of this CBR 250 anyone want to trade me for their ninja 250 ?

laugh.png

well to be fair even the Ninja takes a little while after it hits 150 to go higher

Actually 5th gear gets you 150 but then 6th takes about 15 seconds to reach 160 kph & onwards

The CBR takes like an entire lifetime after it hits 130kph to go any higher.

Someone find me an SV650

• Like 1

laugh.png

Someone find me an SV650

For 85,000 no book

http://www.superfour-club.com/index.php/topic,56148 coffee1.gif

laugh.png

Someone find me an SV650

For 85,000 no book

http://www.superfour-club.com/index.php/topic,56148 coffee1.gif

Seen that one but the condition is quite dubious!

Found a SV1000 that is quite tip top though...but too much fuel usage.

I talked to a Thai guy who has a shop selling used bikes, I got my CBR150R from him and he has several 250s sitting there. Almost new, very low mileage, very clean.

Asked him who is selling them and he answered that lots of Thai guys have 100K+ to spend and think having a new Honda is a good idea.

Then the "rich kids" get bored or need a new toy, give him the bike to sell. He makes a profit on the already low prices!

Since they sell like hotcakes you see a lot of them for sale. Doesn't mean they're no good. If you're happy with 20 hp and don't need to go fast they're great.

Maybe the looks and the "CBR" moniker gives the impression of a sports bike which it isn't. I prefer the CRF250M - much more fun!

I would rather have a ER6n as I stated above and will be getting one once I return from traveling in a bit. But I could be happy with a CBR250 as a daily driver. Great gas mileage, small enough for traffic in CM, great for my 15km commute. Get a backpack for groceries and it eliminates the need for a basket. The bonus would be when I get off the ER6N I won't be shifting the wrong way like I do wit my dream! I hate autos and I always wondered why so many guys here with bigger bikes get an auto as a DD, and now I know... Too bad I can't swing a CBR and an ER, but then I would be getting close to the point where I could convince me a Thruxton was just a "bit" more expensive.