Just Hit By The Music Scammers- But For Them It Was A Flop

eyecatcher

What my hope would be is that this grp realizes that the jig is up and decides to move on to other greener pastures. But I don't have much hope or expectation of that being the case. That type of reaction does not seem typical of these types

What I would hope is that the threat and intimidation level is not stepped up by this group. Especially to the level of physical violence or worse.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent work, Pim, James and all at CityNews!

If the victims could use this thread and word-of-mouth to co-ordinate a date and time to meet and take their complaints to the police station as requested you'd avoid anyone being identified as a leader and singled out for special attention by these crooks.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

Talked with a friend of mine at the university and he mentioned a place within the university (CMU) was hit by them just recently. Don't know how they managed that and quite brazen.

//edit - BTW, he is the one who initiated the conversation on this subject and not me so it is getting well known in the Thai community also.

//edit2 - Perhaps make up posters such as community watch posters and have businesses put them up with contact details as fore warning.

• Like 1

Regardless of the outcome of any complaints made to the police, Tywais' suggestion of a poster is spot on. It would have to be very carefully designed and worded to avoid the possibility of defamation actions but all it needs to do is be there in a prominent position to tell staff their rights and what to do if visited. If it simply set out the advice from the officer as reported in CityNews, maybe the police would even endorse it.

Again, this would have to be done in a way that avoided making anyone being singled out for revenge.

Edited by Greenside

We were contacted directly by these kind people and given permission to publish. Personally I don't believe that there is any danger and that one must be brave to confront bullies, but that is just me personally.

OP I'm not sure City Life News giving out the Original Posters business type, date it happened and explaining why you started the thread is wise.

• Like 1

Apology, My Mrs never rang the music co yesterday at all, she was going to she said later.

This company is called Inter music copyright co, Ltd. The License used to be 5 grand, now 7.

There's even contact numbers on it written in pen 0815958895 and 0876571597, hmmm, genuine?

yes, a useless piece of paper but at least is shows we have paid up and are "official "

I looked at the website for one of the other music co's last week, I would have been up for 20 thousand as we have lots of seating.

The girls returned from the cop shop in 40 minutes, undamaged. (my lady and the manager).

I did as advised on this forum ... not letting them touch the PC and demanding a warrant.

I even told the main player I have seen his face on the internet, haa haa.

The Mexican standoff seemed to take an hour...my Mrs even told me to go to bed as I was almost nose-to-nose with a plain-clothes policeman

... she would have been in the poo if I did that.

Not much sleep last night. They will never be back, sure...plenty of easier targets.

I dont get it. you paid. you got done, why wouldn't they come back next year? where is the victory, and what was the point of the standoff if you were willing to pay?

As for computer, put ALL music on an encrypted drive. power it off when they enter the premises to dismount the drive and then there is no music or video content for then to charge you with.

• Like 1

We were contacted directly by these kind people and given permission to publish. Personally I don't believe that there is any danger and that one must be brave to confront bullies, but that is just me personally.

OP I'm not sure City Life News giving out the Original Posters business type, date it happened and explaining why you started the thread is wise.

I understand what you are saying Sao and I think it was very brave to give you permission to publish the business type and the date it happened etc. However IMO AND IMO ONLY, TIT and often the so called bullies are the type that will also put a bullet in your head and this doesn't seem to be a one man fly by night organisation. I'm not saying that action shouldn't be taken, I'm just saying that we live in a country where a certain amount of caution also needs to be taken......you and others might disagree.

Very good write up SJM on your site..... Big congrats to you and your staff...... I for one would like to say, I much appreciated your efforts.

G

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying Sao and I think it was very brave to give you permission to publish the business type and the date it happened etc. However IMO AND IMO ONLY, TIT and often the so called bullies are the type that will also put a bullet in your head and this doesn't seem to be a one man fly by night organisation. I'm not saying that action shouldn't be taken, I'm just saying that we live in a country where a certain amount of caution also needs to be taken......you and others might disagree.

Bullet in the head ?????? Up , maybe the foot, but do you realize how hard the heads are of average TV posters ????tongue.png

• Like 1

You are absolutely right, I would never demand people do something they are uncomfortable with, some people have more to lose than others and perhaps are not in as a secure place as others. Sometimes I just get a bit bullheaded and there is nothing that riles me up more than corruption and thuggery - well, maybe a corked bottle of wine! I have gone too far myself some times, one of these days I will tell you about when I insulted teh head of the 5th region police commander (calling him an embarrasment to Thailand in front of his face and the international press probably wasn't the best thing to do in hindsight!) and ended up being followed for a week by all these policemen and having my name given to the press to find out more about me! That was a tad scary!

• Like 1

You are absolutely right, I would never demand people do something they are uncomfortable with, some people have more to lose than others and perhaps are not in as a secure place as others. Sometimes I just get a bit bullheaded and there is nothing that riles me up more than corruption and thuggery - well, maybe a corked bottle of wine! I have gone too far myself some times, one of these days I will tell you about when I insulted teh head of the 5th region police commander (calling him an embarrasment to Thailand in front of his face and the international press probably wasn't the best thing to do in hindsight!) and ended up being followed for a week by all these policemen and having my name given to the press to find out more about me! That was a tad scary!

Thanks for your understanding Sao.

It was a good article and I'm sure it is well appreciated.

Apology, My Mrs never rang the music co yesterday at all, she was going to she said later.

This company is called Inter music copyright co, Ltd. The License used to be 5 grand, now 7.

There's even contact numbers on it written in pen 0815958895 and 0876571597, hmmm, genuine?

yes, a useless piece of paper but at least is shows we have paid up and are "official "

I looked at the website for one of the other music co's last week, I would have been up for 20 thousand as we have lots of seating.

The girls returned from the cop shop in 40 minutes, undamaged. (my lady and the manager).

I did as advised on this forum ... not letting them touch the PC and demanding a warrant.

I even told the main player I have seen his face on the internet, haa haa.

The Mexican standoff seemed to take an hour...my Mrs even told me to go to bed as I was almost nose-to-nose with a plain-clothes policeman

... she would have been in the poo if I did that.

Not much sleep last night. They will never be back, sure...plenty of easier targets.

I dont get it. you paid. you got done, why wouldn't they come back next year? where is the victory, and what was the point of the standoff if you were willing to pay?

As for computer, put ALL music on an encrypted drive. power it off when they enter the premises to dismount the drive and then there is no music or video content for then to charge you with.

Two things.

You must have a License to play music in a bar, no argument. We didn't have one ... happy to buy.

If you have a clean computer, they will look and they will find something anyway.

No point hiding drives... their not going to walk away empty handed... Don't let them look.

I am so sorry for the people being hit who aren't informed as well as we all are.

Yep. I suggested the exact same thing on this forum back in 2009. Unfortunately one of the tech-ignorant powers that be at the time, deleted my post as being "illegal". Throw TrueCrypt your you machine. Encrypt your music on cheap external drives. Problem solved. If they somehow manage to figure out the drive is encrypted and press you for the password, a simple "I don't know about that drive, its not mine, some customer forgot it here..."

FYI, in case somebody wants to delete this post as well, there is absolutely nothing in the Thai Computer Crimes Act of 2007 that makes use of encryption, illegal. Check for yourself -- http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/117

-Mestizo

• Like 2

They do represent a Thai music co and I really really wanted a License, and deep down I'm a lazy SOB.

Yes Ironic...but now I have one and I didn't have to make any effort.

7 grand is not as much as one stop wanted. :)

... but it's worthless !

They do represent a Thai music co and I really really wanted a License, and deep down I'm a lazy SOB.

Yes Ironic...but now I have one and I didn't have to make any effort.

7 grand is not as much as one stop wanted. smile.png

your experience differs radically from those of other who have chased these people off, yet you claim they are the same crew.

i personally would love to see this license, would you be so kind as to post a picture of it (with your details blacked out)?

Confirming that they hit parts of Loi Kroh tonight, and the regular on site police were made aware of their presence, and ongoing activities. Make of that what you will...

Edited by scd

Confirming that they hit parts of Loi Kroh tonight, and the regular on site police were made aware of their presence, and ongoing activities. Make of that what you will...

Did the places that were hit, pay up or did they say NO....... Did they take anyone to the same police station?????

Today we received a letter from Chiangmai health authority. They are the body with the jurisdiction on our type of business and who we are registered .

In the letter they refer to recent meetings with the police with regard to the issue of the copyright licences, and they enclose an information leaflet/guideline which according to the “mrs” has every telephone number and contact detail for every represented musician/composer or whatever. It was produced by www.ipthailand.go.th

I cant read a word of it, but I am sure a few of you are able.

post-150623-0-59704500-1363328154_thumb. post-150623-0-60436900-1363328218_thumb. post-150623-0-62996000-1363328289_thumb.

The bottom line is, and to repeat whats already been said; if you play or perform music in any public place anywhere in the world you need a licence or an exempt royalty free licence…..although the likelihood of genuine officials calling in is extremely unlikely.

I would hazard a guess now, that which ever body represents your business or whoever you registered with originally, that they will be forwarding the information leaflet to you.

It still doesn’t change the fact that anyone marching into your premises, under false pretences asking for anything they are not entitled to one jot, so DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING.

• Like 1