Ministry Issues ' Furby' Warning To Parents

webfact

Ministry issues 'Furby' warning to parents
The Nation

30200562-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Science Ministry yesterday warned parents of seven negative impacts of the Furby doll fad among Thai youths.
newsjs
International Anti-Ageing Medicine Institute director Dr Krissada Sirampuch said seven impacts of kids playing with high-tech toys including the cute, furry Furby robotic toy were;

1. Children become so obsessed with the toy that they lose the ability to interact with people around them or become hostile to society.

2. Children become overly attached to the toy, causing them to pay less attention in class if they take it to school.

3. Children enjoy playing with the toy until past their bedtime, causing them to sleep late, which affects their body's ability to produce growth hormone.

4. Children obsessed with virtual pet or tablet games might assume that violently treating real small pets is all right because the animals won't really die and can be "fixed", as in toys or games.

5. Children playing alone with toys could develop the habit of talking to themselves, which could slow down their speech and brain development. Because children's brains can't differentiate real voices from artificial ones, they may start to copy the toy's voice and speak like a cartoon character.

6. Children playing with toys all day might refuse to play sports or run around outdoors with other kids. This could affect their playing skills, which are important in the development of muscles and the brain. They could also become passive and overweight, or even sick from flu, cold, allergies and Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-22

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I have a job at one of those agencies and ministies, please? Especially on Fridays, me and my friends have great ideas and theories, that are well thought out and formulated...with the help of some beers at our favorite waterholes....

• Like 2

Can I have a job at one of those agencies and ministies, please? Especially on Fridays, me and my friends have great ideas and theories, that are well thought out and formulated...with the help of some beers at our favorite waterholes....

If you get it Doc don't forget your old pal. I'm sure the renumeration would cover my flights to and from Bangkok on a weekly basis.

Amazing Thailand, Amazing people.

Pay attention in school or.......

Err what was I saying!!!

Tell the parents in these public announcements regularly to get a grip or else. I feel parents will choose or else as someone else said, they are too busy getting on with their lives to worry about flesh and blood.

Just another laugh to add to a day in the funny farm, courtesy of Thai politicians and isn't great to see that everything is running so smoothly in Thailand that the pollies need to look for the absurd on which to concentrate their efforts. Maybe the kids should be directed to something worthwhile like the Harlem Shake - now there is some real intelligence.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

Hells effin' bells. Just when you think that government statements can't get more stupid, you're immediately proved wrong. Where are the brains of these people?

What's the Science Ministry got to do with the International Anti-Ageing Medicine Institute?

It's just Children, educating Children, who in turn have to educate their Children.

...and so it goes on.

Just substitute the word toy with tv in the OP.

and computers/game devices.

I remember there was a crazy toy years ago that needed constant attention from it's owner and the authorities in the West made exactly the same statements for exactly the same reasons.

Too much of a good thing can be bad.....

OK, let the slapping start clap2.gif

If you get it Doc don't forget your old pal. I'm sure the renumeration would cover my flights to and from Bangkok on a weekly basis.

...only if you wow to join our...ahm...meetings!