Ministry Issues ' Furby' Warning To Parents

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, back to my Tamagotchi then smile.png

"Criticism and controversy

The main controversy over Tamagotchi digital pets involved children taking them to school because the first two Tamagotchi releases (Generation 1 and Generation 2) could die in less than half a day from lack of care. Worry over potential ownership disputes, class disruptions and general distraction from schoolwork has led many schools to ban the product, which led to the virtual pet's decline in popularity.[13] In response to this controversy, Bandai's later Tamagotchi releases included a Pause feature as well as the ability to turn the sound off when desired.

On August 3, 2005, South Australian MP Nick Xenophon attempted to ban the Tamagotchi Connection Version 2 (or at least have it classified R18+) due to the "Slot" game featured on it, fearing that it would make children grow up to become the "gambling addicts of tomorrow".[14]

Many male Tamagotchi fans have criticised Bandai for marketing the recently released Tamagotchi Connection series (2004–2009) primarily towards a female audience, rather than to a unisex audience, as was the case of the original releases (1996–1998.) However, Bandai did release a series of virtual pets called Digimon which are aimed at males."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamagotchi

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Ministry issues 'Furby' warning to parents

The NationBANGKOK: -- The Science Ministry yesterday warned parents of seven negative impacts of the Furby doll fad among Thai youths.

newsjs

International Anti-Ageing Medicine Institute director Dr Krissada Sirampuch said seven impacts of kids playing with high-tech toys including the cute, furry Furby robotic toy were;

1. Children become so obsessed with the toy that they lose the ability to interact with people around them or become hostile to society.

2. Children become overly attached to the toy, causing them to pay less attention in class if they take it to school.

3. Children enjoy playing with the toy until past their bedtime, causing them to sleep late, which affects their body's ability to produce growth hormone.

4. Children obsessed with virtual pet or tablet games might assume that violently treating real small pets is all right because the animals won't really die and can be "fixed", as in toys or games.

5. Children playing alone with toys could develop the habit of talking to themselves, which could slow down their speech and brain development. Because children's brains can't differentiate real voices from artificial ones, they may start to copy the toy's voice and speak like a cartoon character.

6. Children playing with toys all day might refuse to play sports or run around outdoors with other kids. This could affect their playing skills, which are important in the development of muscles and the brain. They could also become passive and overweight, or even sick from flu, cold, allergies and Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-22

Suddenly my neighbors twelve year old boys crack habit ain't looking so bad. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Can I have a job at one of those agencies and ministies, please? Especially on Fridays, me and my friends have great ideas and theories, that are well thought out and formulated...with the help of some beers at our favorite waterholes....

If you get it Doc don't forget your old pal. I'm sure the renumeration would cover my flights to and from Bangkok on a weekly basis.

...only if you wow to join our...ahm...meetings!

Of course. Only business related activities. We could take our que from the DPM Charlem and follow in his daily footsteps. After all isn't he supposed to be a government role model?

Edited for spelling as usual.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

This form of idiocy is not unique to Thailand. There are spoilsports to be found in any country. But I like the idea of an anti-ageing medicine service. Since the only effective way to stop ageing is to die, they must be peddling deadly poisons, no? As for me, give me ageing or give me death.

Science Ministry warns parents to beware of downsides of Furby

BANGKOK, 22 February 2013 (NNT) – The Science Ministry is warning parents to beware of the downsides of the Furby craze, being witnessed now across Thailand.

The Science Ministry’s Thailand Center of Excellence for Life Sciences (TCELS) has expressed concern over the current Furby craze among Thais, particularly teenagers and young children.

Furby is an electronic robotic toy resembling a hamster or owl-like creature, which has been made known around the world since its introduction in 1998.

With the “must-have” trend seemed to be hitting Thailand, TCELS is urging parents to keep a close eye on their children and to watch out for possible signs of problems, such as staying up past bedtime, aggressive behavior, or social isolation.

Dr. Krisada Sirampuch from the International Anti-Ageing Institute also called on parents to pay more attention to activities and toys their children are interested in order to avoid undesirable circumstances.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-02-22 footer_n.gif

Substitute Bad Parenting for the toy or TV,

and you have the real issue.

Agree and I want to give you a like on this but I'm out for today. Does anyone know how many likes we get in a 24 hour period and does it depend on the member level?

I read Thaivisa during my lunch for a bit of humour.

It is you lot that are AMAZING. You are as addicted to this forum as the kids to their furby's. I'm sure you feel you have to post your opinion on every thread. The statement made is a sensible one and I can't see anything negative with it apart from it will be free advertising for the doll.

• Like 1

Don't all you farangs out there think you are that smart.

Who remembers the 1970s craze for pet rocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock

I do but no government official or palm greasing private business suggested that the hobby harmed health.

There have been loony suggestions made by politicians in other countries. I recall Tony Bliar suggesting that drunks should be made to pay on the spot fines and that a policeman would take them to an ATM. He didn't think that one through but it diverted attention from his war crimes for a while.

Edited by Morden

Science Ministry warns parents to beware of downsides of Furby

BANGKOK, 22 February 2013 (NNT) – The Science Ministry is warning parents to beware of the downsides of the Furby craze, being witnessed now across Thailand.

The Pheu Thai Party-headed Science Ministry's warning should be extended to Pheu Thai Party's candidate in the upcoming Bangkok Governor race as Police General Dr. Pongsapat (candidate #9) was a no-show at the debate by all candidates at Sripatum University. His place on the stage was taken by a Furby.

6301_zpsacaecb8b.jpg

630-3_zps378c8bc8.jpg

No word yet on if anybody really noticed any significant difference with the Pheu Thai Party Police General Dr. candidate.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Can I have a job at one of those agencies and ministies, please? Especially on Fridays, me and my friends have great ideas and theories, that are well thought out and formulated...with the help of some beers at our favorite waterholes....

If you get it Doc don't forget your old pal. I'm sure the renumeration would cover my flights to and from Bangkok on a weekly basis.

Of course. Only business related activities. We could take our que from the DPM Charlem and follow in his daily footsteps. After all isn't he supposed to be a government role model?

Medical testing on humans? Hmmmmm...sounds good to me!

I start with the one from Tennessee and you'll have.....

Maybe they should come with a warning on the pack, with pictures of people who's brains have been fried through neglecting their studies.

A few choice politicians come to mind.

"Warning : You too may end up making ridiculous public statements that make you appear to be a complete idiot or incompetent".

Medical testing on humans? Hmmmmm...sounds good to me!

I start with the one from Tennessee and you'll have.....

I'll start on one from Germany....

This pales in consideration to the Cabbage Patch Kids debacle of the early 80's. parents shelling out $5,000 - $10,000 usd for a $30 doll. People getting trampled to death trying to buy one, hoaxes galore, "adopting" your own cabbage child, people trying to claim social assistance for the "kids", mental breakdowns, years of therapy for children who received death certificates from Hasbro, Cabbage Patch dolls that allegedly try to kill their owners, go to the "babyland hospital" and watch your new baby being born!! Stories of dolls disappearing in the middle of the night, getting married and having "baby" cabbage patch babies, one lady in Maryland failed to lock up her cleaning supplies correctly and one of her cabbage children accidentally drank some floor cleaner and was hospitalized. As a result social services was called in and had all her "children" removed from the house hold for being a negligent parent. One young parent in Pittsburgh tried to get her cabbage child to eat lettuce and was deemed an unfit parent as cabbage and lettuce are too similar:

The Pittsburgh Gazette Headline

"Cabbage Cannibalism or Bad Parenting"

So I think the idea of a government broadcasting warnings in regards to fuzzy little dolls has come too late.

Edited by rct99q

Maybe Dr Krissada Sirampuch has his nose out of joint because he said "No, you're joking that this will take off again, that toy is 20 years old and they've just stuck a mildly more advanced chip in it. No money from me you nutters!" during the initial investment meeting?

He should know that if you can make a turd interact with an i-product then you are going to sell a LOT of turds!

[...]

He should know that if you can make a turd interact with an i-product then you are going to sell a LOT of turds!

Yes, absolutely. The main complaint so far has been that it does not have an IP number, which makes interacting with other furbies more difficult. sad.png

Edited by Morakot