Pepsi Suddenly Scarce In Thailand After Bottler Breakup

webfact

Personally, EST tastes "OK" to me...not too different than Pepsi or Coke. With that being said, I still prefer the taste of Coke or Pepsi. Coke when in the small bottle/can size and Pepsi when in the liter+ bottle. Don't know why but Coke and Pepsi taste significantly different to me depending on the container size. For home we buy the Pepsi Max (zero calories) in the large bottles. Starting late last year Pepsi was definitely "quickly" replaced/disappeared/became hard to find for all practical purposes from many small restaurants/eating holes in the wall and even in places like Makro, Lotus, Big C, etc. However, staring last week I started seeing "plenty" of Pepsi and Pepsi Max at Makro...and it appears Lotus is getting more Pepsi/Pepsi Max now....can't really say about Big C as I haven't been to one in a few weeks. Maybe Pepsi is indeed rebuilding its distribution chain and will regain market share; EST must have put a HUGE dent in Pepsi's Thailand market share (and even Coke's) at least for the interim.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, EST tastes "OK" to me...not too different than Pepsi or Coke. With that being said, I still prefer the taste of Coke or Pepsi. Coke when in the small bottle/can size and Pepsi when in the liter+ bottle. Don't know why but Coke and Pepsi taste significantly different to me depending on the container size. For home we buy the Pepsi Max (zero calories) in the large bottles. Starting late last year Pepsi was definitely "quickly" replaced/disappeared/became hard to find for all practical purposes from many small restaurants/eating holes in the wall and even in places like Makro, Lotus, Big C, etc. However, staring last week I started seeing "plenty" of Pepsi and Pepsi Max at Makro...and it appears Lotus is getting more Pepsi/Pepsi Max now....can't really say about Big C as I haven't been to one in a few weeks. Maybe Pepsi is indeed rebuilding its distribution chain and will regain market share; EST must have put a HUGE dent in Pepsi's Thailand market share (and even Coke's) at least for the interim.

Well I guess they could have prevented that dent in market share, at least Coke since they didn't have to reorganize anything, but it has been more than 2 months now that I've seen the last large coke zero bottle in any shop.And even shortly after the EST launch regular coke in big bottles was hard to find.

I can not believe that Coca Cola headquarters in the US can agree with such a blunder.

• Like 2

What is strange is that the Thai people don't mind, they drink it as it's been there forever.

I think that in a western country people would not except "fake" pepsi or coke.

Great marketing!

Wrong. Thai are just interested y new things.

What's wrong with Coke and Pepsi in this country ? No more 1.5L Coke zero sice months also.

Do Coke and Pepsi also have to fight with the retarded in this country ?

• Like 1

Me thinks possibly EST is also significantly undercutting Pepsi and Coke on the "wholesale" price to initially build-up market share; then the retailers....restaurants/hole-in-the-way...etc., sell EST at the same retail price as Pepsi and Coke which means more profit for those places. The retailers/eating places then just tell the customer asking for Pepsi/Coke that they can't get much of any Pepsi/Coke, but these places will start bending to the customers wants. In fact, one little eating place the wife and I stop at a lot now have Pepsi and Coke again...the owner told us many customers were asking for it and she started ordering more...to me that kinda indicates she could have had it all along but EST was offering her too good of a wholesale price deal. Who knows. I'm just glad to see Pepsi Max and Coke Zero on the shelves again here in my part of Bangkok.

Me thinks possibly EST is also significantly undercutting Pepsi and Coke on the "wholesale" price to initially build-up market share; then the retailers....restaurants/hole-in-the-way...etc., sell EST at the same retail price as Pepsi and Coke which means more profit for those places. The retailers/eating places then just tell the customer asking for Pepsi/Coke that they can't get much of any Pepsi/Coke, but these places will start bending to the customers wants. In fact, one little eating place the wife and I stop at a lot now have Pepsi and Coke again...the owner told us many customers were asking for it and she started ordering more...to me that kinda indicates she could have had it all along but EST was offering her too good of a wholesale price deal. Who knows. I'm just glad to see Pepsi Max and Coke Zero on the shelves again here in my part of Bangkok.

Nobody wants copy, unless it is half of the price.

In my homecountry there are also several " imitation " cola's on the market, but all are half the price of Coke or Pepsi, otherwise they would never leave the shelf.

I find EST revolting, my wife is Thai and detests it also. I have to hand it to the producers, creating something so unpalatable - my wife eats all manner of oddities; congealed blood cubes in soup, chicken feet and fried insects and won't drink EST - that really is an culinary achievement on one level. How did they manage to mess it up so badly?

• Like 2

Coca Cola must be pissing themselves laughing.....probably into Est bottles.

That brings up another interesting point.Coke Zero is starting to be scarce. No more of there big bottles.

I am not a business man but I can not see how any Thai owned company could fight Pepsi if Pepsi decided to fight them.

In my opinion the crap that is replacing Pepsi Max and hopefully not coke Zero is not driving Pepsi of the market. Pepsi's lack of supply is the villain here.

Who in there right mind would buy the sugar loaded pop if they had been drinking Pepsi Max or Coke Zero.

Having been a Pepsi drinker for many years it really doesn't surprise me. I don't know how many different products they tried in the states and Canada and then pulled them off the market after less than two months.

• Like 1

The first time I drank EST I thought it was a new name for pepsi in Thailand and I didn't taste any difference. I think it's a good copy and I think it will permanently keep a bigger market share than pepsi. The marketing campaign was very successful. Most Thai people don't care, if the taste is about the same as pepsi they are ok with that.

• Like 1

No idea where it is that so many cannot find Pepsi ?

other than about 10 days last year with No Pepsi or Coke for that matter, have always found Pepsi Max, no idea about Coke Zero as I only look if NO Pepsi Max...

Last month Pepsi Max was 286 baht for pack of 12... 1.45 lt bottles. this months was a so say promotion 2 for 47 baht, so on promotion is 282 for 12 !!! save 4 baht on 12 bottles... wow some promotion, anyway bought my 5 packs.

Around the Villages notice Pepsi and Pepsi Max are in most shops + Tesco Express and 7/11, but now comes in 3 sizes of bottles....

That bad tasting 'es't stuff I do notice that everywhere it is on promotion, as the bottles are smaller then it is not cheaper than Coke or Pepsi only the promotion makes it cheaper..

I often talk to the Manager of my local 7/11, she said Thais did buy 'est' but the next visit if no Coke or Pepsi bought the juice cans or bottles, even reducing the 'est' 20 baht to 16 baht it stayed on the sheves

• Like 1

I can't believe the number of OP's here who claim to drink Coke Zero. The stuff is poison and full of Aspartame. Look it up, or enjoy a shorter life. Any of these sweet sticky soft drinks (sodas for you yanks) like Coke and Pepsi are all garbage anyway but then each to his own.

what do you mix your rum with then?
  • Like 1

I can't believe the number of OP's here who claim to drink Coke Zero. The stuff is poison and full of Aspartame. Look it up, or enjoy a shorter life. Any of these sweet sticky soft drinks (sodas for you yanks) like Coke and Pepsi are all garbage anyway but then each to his own.

Est?

The distribution network and the ability to secure shelf space ate two of the most common tactics to keep competitors out, not just for drinks but also for cosmetics, toothpaste, etc.

Doesn't anyone here like EST? i really like it for it is the first time that a cola drink in Thailand has a lot of bubbles. Since moving here i had completely stopped drinking Colas, especially Coke... Too sweet and no bubbles. And im talking about cans and small bottles. The big bittles are kinda flat every where.

But after trying est i started drinking maybe a can a week... Finally some CO2 in the damn thing.

Isn't this old news????

Pepsi Max has been difficult to find since the 2011 floods hit distribution. Recently it's only been available in the small bottle and only at 7-Eleven near where I stay. Family Mart sometimes has Pepsi and usually the various Coke drinks, but no Pepsi Max. Doesn't leave much in the way of choice for diet drinks, aside from water or Coke Zero.

I know, my whole family including me died years ago from drinking softdrinks with Aspartame whistling.gif

The Aspartame Hoax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

• Like 2

Ice is the only mixer on my list - I never put any of that crap near great booze.... Try Bundaberg OP from Tops. Nice...

• Like 1

I know, my whole family including me died years ago from drinking softdrinks with Aspartame whistling.gif

The Aspartame Hoax

Ignorance is bliss - keep drinking it. There are over 50,000 recorded cases of death linked to it but since 70% of foods using sweeteners uses this crap ignorance of its affects is entirely up to the individual. It is made by the bonding together of the amino acids aspartic acid and phenylalanine, which are normal constituents of proteins, to form a dipeptide further esterified with methanol. You may as well use sugar with petrol! Aspartame can be safely consumed by most healthy individuals, but it has long been recognized excessive intake of phenylalanine, one of the constituent amino acids of aspartame, can pose a hazard to individuals suffering from an inherited metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria. It also attacks the central nervous system, functionality of heart and brain. But then again, FDA and TGA bodies say they have found it safe. As already said, each to his own. Go for it.

The Aspartame Hoax

Ignorance is bliss - keep drinking it. There are over 50,000 recorded cases of death linked to it but since 70% of foods using sweeteners uses this crap ignorance of its affects is entirely up to the individual. It is made by the bonding together of the amino acids aspartic acid and phenylalanine, which are normal constituents of proteins, to form a dipeptide further esterified with methanol. You may as well use sugar with petrol! Aspartame can be safely consumed by most healthy individuals, but it has long been recognized excessive intake of phenylalanine, one of the constituent amino acids of aspartame, can pose a hazard to individuals suffering from an inherited metabolic disorder called phenylketonuria. It also attacks the central nervous system, functionality of heart and brain. But then again, FDA and TGA bodies say they have found it safe. As already said, each to his own. Go for it.

I assume you are able to post a link to a credible source regarding that 50.000 deaths claim ?

The Aspartame Hoax

I assume you are able to post a link to a credible source regarding that 50.000 deaths claim ?

Who cares? It's off topic anyway. I find it always so amusing how things like that bring up those people who think they are really smart asses and must tell everybody how dumb they are drinking soda.

Anyway...nearly ALL my thai friends say EST tastes like crap; I also find it not delicious. The Thais mostly call it "jued", my dictionary says "insipid".

Serm Suk is like a mafia and yes, I heard rumours too that Serm Suk are threatening shop owners if they are not willing to accept EST replacing all Pepsi stickers, tissue holders, cutlery boxes, bottle openers, table cloths etc. by EST stuff.

I just came back to Thailand last month after a 6 months break and I immediately noticed that EST is all over the place now. :(

As opposed to the 25+ grams of High fructose corn syrup that is used in regular 'soda'. It's the better of two evils, if you want to drink soda.

• Like 1

What I heard from my Thai friend is that the distributor threatened companies that if they carried Pepsi instead of EST, then they wouldn't supply them with the other products they offer. It has nothing to do with popularity.

Indeed, not only this, but it's clear that this was planned for a long time, before the contract with Pepsi ended. Pepsi I'm assuming would have thought the contract was going to be renewed as a standard, but they were told nup, seeya. Otherwise Pepsi would have had their new manufacturer and distributor ready to go long before it ended.

Swap out one poison for another. Whatever. Let Darwin do his work, drink up everyone.

All in moderation. Anything in excess will kill you. 'sodas' are no different.

I find EST revolting, my wife is Thai and detests it also. I have to hand it to the producers, creating something so unpalatable - my wife eats all manner of oddities; congealed blood cubes in soup, chicken feet and fried insects and won't drink EST - that really is an culinary achievement on one level. How did they manage to mess it up so badly?

The first time I drank EST I thought it was a new name for pepsi in Thailand and I didn't taste any difference. I think it's a good copy and I think it will permanently keep a bigger market share than pepsi. The marketing campaign was very successful. Most Thai people don't care, if the taste is about the same as pepsi they are ok with that.

It's a pretty poor copy. It takes like the no name, brandless cola labels back in Australia. I'd say it's your tastebuds that are probably dead (they eventually die). But it tastes very different and I refuse to drink it. Similar price to Coke and Pepsi, only forceful business tactics will keep it in the market, where consumers don't have a choice.

Ice is the only mixer on my list - I never put any of that crap near great booze.... Try Bundaberg OP from Tops. Nice...
Well I don't have the statistics but common sense tells me more people die as a result of alcohol than Aspartame. Personally I am into living. Your choice.

Am I the only one who has noticed the number of posters talking about how much sugar in Coke and Pepsi while completely ignoring the diet products they both have. I wonder if they think they are fooling some one.

Same can be said for booze, we all gotta die of some thing.
  • Like 1