Thais And There Calculators !

Sandman77

I did not even find one store in Thailand , where stuff can tell me the result of a simple bill without a calculator!

Only one time it was on phangan last year the power line was interrupted by some repair for 2 h

I walk into a dark 7 eleven, and a saw something that I maybe never see again,people calculating with pen and paper chaa chaa slowly but can!

Often I recogneized that many people on the hotline cannot remember my 10 diget phone number, also when I repeat many time!

What the children learn in mathematic in

School, that the cannot calculate in the later life?

This Is what I try to find out with this topic!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a combination of mental laziness and a fear of getting it wrong and your boss taking the difference out of your wages.

I think most of us children of the 70's and earlier took great pride in our mental arithmetic abilities however the kids are now encouraged to use calculators in school ( at least they were in my kids school ) and the importance of mental arithmetic has been eroded.

We guys of an age will grind our teeth at that, the younger generation will just look at us as if we were daft.

It's just the way it is coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I've even caught mistakes they've made using a calculator by doing the math in my head. Shocks them every time.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

That has happened many times for me. When I do my shopping in Canada I keep a running total in my head and I'm surprised that I'm usually within $5 on a $100 actual total.

For me, maths just doesn't add up............. I was walking along the street the other day and saw a sign that said "Chinese Takeaway"..... <deleted>! I can't even do the ones we have in my own language, let alone chinese ones......

Who's nicked my coat??

Edited by Brodie

“Never memorize something that you can look up.”

Albert Einstein...

I think that is out of context here. I don't think Einstein would be opposed to someone subtracting 63 from 100 in their head, as opposed too "looking it up" - if that was your meaning. He's talking about things like not memorizing the periodic table or formulas, I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Edited by utalkin2me

If you're going to post a topic putting down Thais and their maths, you should start by not making simple mistakes in your topic title.

Their, not there.

Congratulations. At what point did you work out English was not the OP's first language? Doesn't really have anything to do with the thread topic either which is perfectly valid. If you have a gripe about the topic maybe send the OP a PM or better yet keep quiet, especially if your post is going to contribute nothing to the thread.

What's interesting is that Thai schools ban the use of calculators. This is because their exams are focused on doing calculations. So it's astounding that Thais need to use a calculator for the simplest calculations. I'm assuming most had finished M6here.

My students use a calculator as a tool for doing mathematics. The calculation itself is just one step, and doesn't replace the thinking involved in doing a problem. You would be surprised how many get -3^2 wrong on a calculator, The answer is 9 not negative nine, as the calculator would suggest.

It's not just Thailand, go to any country in the world and see what happens in 7-11 or pizza hut with electronic cash registers when the power goes off. A mad scramble for a calculator! The 7-11 in the small town near me has a proven plan. When the power goes off they activate the manual overide on the door and ask evreyone to leave, without their purchases. They then deactivate the manual override on the doorr and stand inside smiling. When someone tries to go in, they mouth "fai daup" with a big smile. No calculators needed, only a smile.

I'm just amazed at how the cashier at a bar can keep all the tabs correct and separate when the bar is busy. Like someone already said, I like to see a total on a calculator when I've bought a bag of fruit and don't know the price in Thai.

Best thing I have ever seen with street vendors was with one of my previous bosses. The man had tons of money but loved to bargin and had the best tactic when it came to the Calculator game. He would first ask the price of the item he wanted the vendor would put in XXX. Then he would say no no and ask for the calculator. He would key in the price he was willing to pay bar none. The vendor would then take the calculator back and enter a price somewhere between the 2. My Ex Boss would pull the trick he would get the calculator and drop from his origonal price not go up to the inbetween he would lower it. This would provide the funniest expressions on said vendors face. And start the questions on why the price went down rather than up. He would mention he was going to pay the first price but this is now wasting his time and start to walk away. 8/10 times they would quickly agree to the first price he wanted to pay and send him on his way before anyone else observed how this was done.

Think this is more of a generational change than a racial/national one. Also, I think we may find things a bit different if observing the Thais at the upper end of educational attainment.

Education for the old timers was quite different as many here have noted. They spent time reading 'classical' *books*, memorising ancient poetry, learning the ability to do maths without calculators, learning ways of speech (eloquence) and other things meant for external presentation that were meant to distinguish themselves as being educated.

More recent gens have other means to distinguish ourselves. I work with a few older brits, and I can tell that for all their ability to speak eloquently, for all their impressive vocabulary, for all their ability to bring classical poetry and novel into conversations, they are NO more productive or profitable than people like myself and many of us younger guys. What worked for you old guys is often no longer relevant. Sorry.

Cheers

EDIT:

On the topic of mental math specifically, check out these comments. It's simply, largely a waste of effort to spend significant time learning and do mental math. The world has changed.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110310/03354413427/changing-way-that-math-is-taught-to-children.shtml

Edited by PaullyW