Bangkok Candidates Committed To Turning The City Into A High-Tech Capital

webfact

Buranii Chandraparnik said she wanted an application that will help Bangkokians track the implementation of policies so people can see first-hand if the governor is committed to prison after telling such bare faced electioneering lies, making empty promises and engaging in corrupt practices.

Not up on all the news. They are going to turn it into a high tech center solve the traffic problems and have lots of public toilets.

Has any one said they are going to eliminate the smoke and stop construction on condos that do not allow for a proper road or encroach on canals and of course are they going to clean up the canals?

I don't know. Becoming a tech hub is not as simple as logging onto a social networking website. Rather it requires a couple of things that Thais and the their education system currently lack: open mindedness, analytical/critical thinking, and an interest in the world outside of Thailand.

Certainly not something that can be sorted quickly.

That's three things.

Please do not throw stones while inside the glass house.... smile.png

Could we have a quick poll to see how many TVF users have access to free wi-fi? As we are scattered across the country, and it is claimed 40% of the country is covered, the numbers should reflect that.

Koh Samui - NO

Koh Samui -YES at least one point on the main road near chaweng stadium.

Hard to make such stupid claims when internet connection is spasmodic, slow, outdated telephony networks still being used and way behind the world in tech support.

An IT 'hub'? I doubt it.

Whatever became of the Pheu Thai Party's 30,000,000,000.00 Baht allocated for their proclamation of Free, Nation-wide WiFi?

Well I could be mistaken

80% of Thailand will have coverage

Indeed, 80% coverage alleged at some future date.

Free, nation-wide claims implied 100%.

They are allowed to access the Internet for two hours at a time

Free, nation-wide claims said nothing of such short duration for connections.

20,000 WiFi hotspots are expected in Bangkok by October in 2012

Do any Bangkok members have experience with these alleged 20,000 free WiFi locations?

Hard to make such stupid claims when internet connection is spasmodic, slow, outdated telephony networks still being used and way behind the world in tech support.

An IT 'hub'? I doubt it.

Whatever became of the Pheu Thai Party's 30,000,000,000.00 Baht allocated for their proclamation of Free, Nation-wide WiFi?

Well I could be mistaken

Free, nation-wide claims implied 100%.They are allowed to access the Internet for two hours at a time

Do any Bangkok members have experience with these alleged 20,000 free WiFi locations?

I have used it at the airport. Cant say i have seen it elsewhere. I am wondering if they are including Hotel and Serviced Apartment in these numbers.

Could we have a quick poll to see how many TVF users have access to free wi-fi? As we are scattered across the country, and it is claimed 40% of the country is covered, the numbers should reflect that.

Koh Samui - NO

Accidental over reach of individualized unsecured WiFi nodes

is not the same thing as a Free WiFi provided by the national interest.

Koh Samui - NO

Accidental over reach of individualized unsecured WiFi nodes

is not the same thing as a Free WiFi provided by the national interest.

Nope was official wifi by government. Offered by True I think, mentioning ICT ministry in SSID. But had to sign up for it with passport number. Worked pretty neat, but occasionally lost connection and had to sign in again.

Well I could be mistaken

Free, nation-wide claims implied 100%.They are allowed to access the Internet for two hours at a time

I have used it at the airport. Cant say i have seen it elsewhere. I am wondering if they are including Hotel and Serviced Apartment in these numbers.

It would be dishonest if they did.

There are hundreds, and likely thousands, of private businesses in Bangkok that offer free WiFi for their customers/residents, etc.

That is NOT what the government was talking about when they claimed Free, Nation-wide WiFi.

Their free hotspots are completely separate.

• Like 1

The internet will be instrumental in the demise of the corrupt politics that persists here. Making real time, non edited information available to the general public, as well as a window on the "real world" being opened, will come back and bite these crooks in the butt.

Bangkok an IT center? Not under the current administration .....but look out for the kids who now know the truth about the world...they will bring real change to Thailand.

The slander laws here are draconian. You're going to have to get really creative and take a considerable risk for a thankless population. Focus on your family and friends, 'cause there is another corrupt rat just waiting to take over even if you are successful.

I don't like them either, for what it's worth.

The internet will be instrumental in the demise of the corrupt politics that persists here. Making real time, non edited information available to the general public, as well as a window on the "real world" being opened, will come back and bite these crooks in the butt.

Bangkok an IT center? Not under the current administration .....but look out for the kids who now know the truth about the world...they will bring real change to Thailand.

The slander laws here are draconian. You're going to have to get really creative and take a considerable risk for a thankless population. Focus on your family and friends, 'cause there is another corrupt rat just waiting to take over even if you are successful.

I don't like them either, for what it's worth.

I agree, but I believe change will come hard and fast when the majority of the country's children has grown up with access to a world view. The morons who currently censor "dangerous" content from the population (like you tube videos and saturday night live clips) will soon realize they should have been blocking educational content and news. The dumb farmers they rely on to fill their pockets will one day be a heck of a lot smarter and somchai will be well informed. The wool will not be able to be pulled over the poor's eyes so easily.

I'm pleased these idiots think the internet is just a toy for chatting with friends...when they realize it is a window ....it will be too late for them.

• Like 1

Koh Samui - NO

Is it government? Could be from the police station.

Most Facebook users = high-tech capital? HUBris

IMO using Facebook & Twitter on a smartphone is as hi-tech as switching on a TV.

Let Bangkok start by educating & training IT people in how to create a readable & user friendly web site. Plenty of opportunities there.

Or a Hub in need of a Bris.

Most Facebook users = high-tech capital? HUBris

IMO using Facebook & Twitter on a smartphone is as hi-tech as switching on a TV.

Let Bangkok start by educating & training IT people in how to create a readable & user friendly web site. Plenty of opportunities there.

Or a Hub in need of a Bris.

Maybe they are going to put a wireless connection on top of Baiyoke. Thus high-tech capital. This make about as much sense as the 1,000 boats water pushing idea.

Edited by Pimay1

"Hi-tech" is more than a bunch of teenagers and young adults running around with their touch phones and lab tops communicating with each other where they are going and what they are doing. In order for Bangkok or the rest of Thailand to become "hi-tech" the education system needs to teach the students how to use various computer programs, get their minds to be creative and to think outside of the box for the 21st Century. If you want to look at "hi-tech" cities, look at Singapore or Seoul.

"Hi-tech" is more than a bunch of teenagers and young adults running around with their touch phones and lab tops communicating with each other where they are going and what they are doing. In order for Bangkok or the rest of Thailand to become "hi-tech" the education system needs to teach the students how to use various computer programs, get their minds to be creative and to think outside of the box for the 21st Century. If you want to look at "hi-tech" cities, look at Singapore or Seoul.

Or, for other examples, Tokyo, San Francisco, even Shanghai to an extent.

Of course, they will need to teach students to question things which wholly goes against the grain of Thai (and most East Asian) cultural expectation. The way the Japanese overcame this was to setup special schools whereby students go for the express purpose of being creative and questioning ideas. Thailand should be able to do it, but it just requires some time and fundamental changes. And, surely they will have to out compete the Chinese and perhaps Indians in the next decade or so. Making hard drives for export is not the same as being a hi-tech hub, K. Minister.

As pointed out there's quiet a few problems to creating a IT hub, not with standing location ,location , location also you need to know binary maths I say no more.coffee1.gif

To say nothing of being able to read hexadecimal or understanding the finer points of Boolean algebra.