Judo In Bangkok

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Judo clubs in bangkok:

*Thai-Japanese Stadium at DinDaeng 4 pm to 5.30 pm almost every day

*National Stadium ( National Stadium skytrain station) 6 pm to 9 pm every day Mon to Fri

*Ramkamheng University Stadium . not sure of schedule

if you are into Judo , you may try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the Bangkok Fight Club .

we got few pretty good judo players here

here: www.BangkokFightClub.com

• 1 month later...
Judo clubs in bangkok:

*National Stadium ( National Stadium skytrain station) 6 pm to 9 pm every day Mon to Fri

if you are into Judo , you may try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the Bangkok Fight Club .

Have you got any more details on where in the NS it is practised? I went there today but could not find it. Cheers

If you try the BKK Fight Club where they teach Brazilian Ju Jitsu, you'll find that it's a little more realistic than Judo. Judo is popular in Bangkok (like Tae Kwon Do) but it tends to emphasize a lot on grabbing the clothing of the opponent which isn't practical in real life situations....regular street clothes may simply tear off.

Nobody talked about street fighting, it's a sport :o

Brazilian Ju-Jitsu (aka. grappling) is more like wrestling. Maybe effective - at least if you're physically strong, but not very technical.

And as long as there is only one opponent- an unlikely scenerio in LOS. Don't get me wrong - i love watching BJJ guys in UFC, have all the respect in the world for what the Gracie family has done. But BJJ against multiple opponents - i'd like to see a demonstration.

Boxing is good, but it has many limitations. Muay Thai would be better (particularly the old style) as it uses virtually every part of the body as a weapon. The best systems are those used by special forces guys. They are simple, easy to learn and very effective.

mixed martial arts are a waste of time. box if you want to learn to defend yourself properly. you dont need to know how to roll around on the carpet for 20 minutes with a bloke in his underpants.

Total BS.

The vast majority of all fights go to the ground.

Best defence is to run like heck.

2nd best defence is to know how to fight standing up and on the ground.

mixed martial arts are a waste of time. box if you want to learn to defend yourself properly. you dont need to know how to roll around on the carpet for 20 minutes with a bloke in his underpants.

you obviously don't have a clear idea of what the MMA ( mixed martial arts) is. boxing is a big part of it , so is Muay Thai , Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling

it's the complete package: train to fight on your feet and on the ground if you have to.

strike , clinch, takedowns, joint locks , chokes and strangle holds : if you see this a waste of time you must be a very special person...

BangkokFightClub.com

Edited by BFC

• 2 months later...

Here are some news regarding judo classes:

- Monday to Friday : 6 pm to 7.30pm at Ramkhaheng (with national team)

- Saturday : 5 pm to 7 pm at Thai Japanese Center Dindaeng

- Sunday : 4pm or 4.30 to 6pm Thai Japanese Center Dindaeng

In dindaeng, I think they train also every day, but I don't know about the schedule (probably 4pm)

See you there !

Jerome

• 1 year later...
Judo clubs in bangkok:

Have you got any more details on where in the NS it is practised? I went there today but could not find it. Cheers

So has anyone figured out where in the national stadium it is?

Also, fyi, Ramkamhaeng is around 5:30-8:00 daily, except Sundays and maybe Mondays. Good workout, but inconvenient for your typical expat-neighbourhood dweller.

Judo clubs in bangkok:

So has anyone figured out where in the national stadium it is?

Also, fyi, Ramkamhaeng is around 5:30-8:00 daily, except Sundays and maybe Mondays. Good workout, but inconvenient for your typical expat-neighbourhood dweller.

afaik they dont train there anymore.

i went to the thai-japan centre a few times, then they stopped for a few months, and i havent been back since. only day worth going is saturday, otherwise hardly anyone there. i cant remember the training times, probably from 5pm onward. i will try going again from next month onward to see if it has re-started.

can u tell me how to get to the ramkhamhaeng gym? its hard to find info. on it.

cheers

Now that was funny

as he talks about rolling on carpets, i think he was speaking from personal experience, and probably lying about the underpants. :o

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Yes, i'm still here, and still training ! Training places are changing from time to time, but there is training almost everyday. You can contact me for places / time...

By the way, starting Monday and until the end of July, Thailand is organzing a "training camp" for the Youth preparing the Youth Olympic Games next month. There will be the top (young) players of several countries of Asia. A rare opportunity to train with international players !

Hi Jerome,

Are you still in Bangkok?

I am a 1stDan black belt in judo. I live in Bangkok and I too have found it difficult to find an active judo club here.

/Herman

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Yes, i'm still here, and still training ! Training places are changing from time to time, but there is training almost everyday. You can contact me for places / time...

By the way, starting Monday and until the end of July, Thailand is organzing a "training camp" for the Youth preparing the Youth Olympic Games next month. There will be the top (young) players of several countries of Asia. A rare opportunity to train with international players !

Hi Jerome,

I am a 1stDan black belt in judo. I live in Bangkok and I too have found it difficult to find an active judo club here.

/Herman

Hi Jerome,

I live in Thailand and i will be very happy if you can help me to find a place where i can train in Judo , I'm 1stDan and i really struggling finding a place in Bangkok, it's seams like from all the Thai People that i asked that they don't even know what is Judo.

Please Help!

Tomer

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Hi Jerome,

/Herman

Hi Jerome,

I live in Thailand and i will be very happy if you can help me to find a place where i can train in Judo , I'm 1stDan and i really struggling finding a place in Bangkok, it's seams like from all the Thai People that i asked that they don't even know what is Judo.

Please Help!

Tomer

Hi Tomer,

you can go to "Huamark Stadium" (Ramkhamhaeng), every day Mon-Fri at 6pm (it is where I currently train). Alternatively, you can train at the "Thai Japanese Center" in Dindaeng on Satudays from around 4.30pm, and probably on sundays as well. There are other clubs in universities as well, but I hardly go there.

See you there !

Jerome

• 3 months later...

On July 30-31, there will be the Thailand International Judo Tournament at National Stadium. A dozen of countries will be joining.

Hi Jerome, thanks to your post I found out about this tournament and was able to go watch it today (Sunday). Were you the lone French representative who won the bronze medal match at 81kgs (or was it 90kgs) against a Singapore player?

I'm an over-the-hill brown belt that hasn't been able to train much for the last several years and am hoping to train a bit during my visits to BKK. I visited Thai-Nippon on Saturday and got thrown around like a rag doll by a strong young brown belt, need more training and am hoping to make it to Huamark Stadium sometime during the week as well.

On July 30-31, there will be the Thailand International Judo Tournament at National Stadium. A dozen of countries will be joining.

Hi Jerome, thanks to your post I found out about this tournament and was able to go watch it today (Sunday). Were you the lone French representative who won the bronze medal match at 81kgs (or was it 90kgs) against a Singapore player?

I'm an over-the-hill brown belt that hasn't been able to train much for the last several years and am hoping to train a bit during my visits to BKK. I visited Thai-Nippon on Saturday and got thrown around like a rag doll by a strong young brown belt, need more training and am hoping to make it to Huamark Stadium sometime during the week as well.

Yes, that was me, under 90kg. Come by at Huamark when you can ! Let me know

• 1 month later...

It seems a lot of people on this thread are quite limited in their MA knowledge..OR subscribe to a very popularist/modern point of view regarding the effectiveness of Judo in self-defense situations. Also there seems to be a lack of knowledge regarding the comparisons between Judo and BJJ...and indeed how BJJ was created. My credentials for spouting off as it were is that I am a 2nd Dan in Kodokan Judo and 2nd Dan in a traditional Japanese Jujutsu style, rolled a round with many BJJ fighters, enjoy boxing off and on...and done a bit of Muay Thai. I have done Judo for nearly 40 years and have taught Judo to both adults and children. I will not enter into a long discourse on my views of the thread but limit myself to saying that for fighting in the street, a mixture of (Boxing OR Muay Thai) AND (Judo OR BJJ) would seem to ensure a good all-round fighting ability. There are vast areas of common ground between the Boxing and Muai Thai....as there are between Judo and BJJ. Do not forget that Jigaro Kano, the formulator of modern Judo created his discipline in an era when there were many traditiona JJ clubs vying for supremacy, and many times ruffians from rival dojos would beat up rival fighters to gain reputation and hence attract new students. Kano's guys were tough and well drilled. The fact that for many Judo has become a subset of it's former glory is not that judo's lacking in effective fighting tech niques, but rather due to certain values of Judo practitioners. There is much in traditional Judo that is not taught anymore...and indeed not too many that can teach this stuff. i was very fortunate that I had a rather classical Judo training in Tokyo and London where I was taught that Judo is so much more than a sport. Indeed the sport aspect was only really introduced as a means of sharpening one's skils for the real business of battle, but in a safer environment, rather than an end in itself.

Daniel

BTW I'll be in Krung tayp early november with gi in hand. could some please give me the names of the 3 judo clubs oft mentioned in this thread complete with telephone numbers AND complete address info. I will be staying around sukumvit soi 21 but will bring my bicycle with me so i can get around quite easitly.

Also if anyone wants to pvt emaill me their contact details i'd be happy to make some contacts and friends. i'll only be there for about 10 days for some dental work and intensive pasa thai study.

Many thx

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I practice Aikido which involves a lot of rolling around....but not in underpants! laugh.gif

There are two major Aikido dojos in BKK in case you're interested!

I'm interested! Please give your advice where the best places for Aikido in Bangkok?