Otop Fair Fiasco

phuketsub

I went to the OTOP Fair yesterday at Saphan Hin yesterday and have to say that the huge covered awnings (no better word to describe them)they have in place there have TOTALLY ruined the atmosphere -- quite literally. Even the food area, where people are cooking with charcoal and gas, has been deprived of air flow. It is a serious public health issue, as if the people of Saphan Hin don't have enough already. It is as if the organizers have tried to make a Supercheap-by-the-sea. Congratulations.

Notes: Beer sponsor is Chang. 'Nuff said.

Selection of OTOP products is disappointing, as usual.

Bouquet: The Phuket Bike Rider Association is now renting out "push bikes" (love that term) at 30 baht an hour near the police box at the central stage area. It is a hit with local schoolgirls... smile.png.

post-40708-0-09740000-1361592293_thumb.j

post-40708-0-93219600-1361592322_thumb.j

post-40708-0-42117100-1361592336_thumb.j

I think they only did that because of the prospect of rain. It has always been open air whenever I went before.

What's the point of eating in a tent?

dunno...I just hope this is a one-off and future events will be open air.

Went last night. Tried to park the truck but some random guy was flashing his high power torch in my eyes and blowing a whistle in my ear. Migraine from here onwards...

OTOP, loads of dirty looking people scrounging through markets full of cheap crap. Bit like gypsies at a car boot fair back home. Walked around dodging the food rubbish on the floor whilst guarding my pockets from pickpockets. Lasted about 15 minutes. OTOP or OTT, up to you... bah.gif

Went last night. Tried to park the truck but some random guy was flashing his high power torch in my eyes and blowing a whistle in my ear. Migraine from here onwards...

OTOP, loads of dirty looking people scrounging through markets full of cheap crap. Bit like gypsies at a car boot fair back home. Walked around dodging the food rubbish on the floor whilst guarding my pockets from pickpockets. Lasted about 15 minutes. OTOP or OTT, up to you... bah.gif

If true, your assertion that pickpockets are present there is unsettling. I've never had a problem with that in Phuket and have been living here over a decade. Personally, I think we occupy different ends of the hi-so/loso divide. To each his own.
  • Like 2

If true, your assertion that pickpockets are present there is unsettling. I've never had a problem with that in Phuket and have been living here over a decade. Personally, I think we occupy different ends of the hi-so/loso divide. To each his own.
I have to agree with your assessment of the remark you responded to. I have never had any problem at the open markets. Sounds like someone in their Fortuna though they could park wherever they liked, then was pissed off when they couldn't. I hear stories from my wife about Thai women around Rawai that are married to westerners that don't even try to understand Thai culture and ways. Good luck to them, they will need it...

I have to agree with your assessment of the remark you responded to. I have never had any problem at the open markets. Sounds like someone in their Fortuna though they could park wherever they liked, then was pissed off when they couldn't. I hear stories from my wife about Thai women around Rawai that are married to westerners that don't even try to understand Thai culture and ways. Good luck to them, they will need it...

I wasn't trying to park "wherever i liked." I was parking in the space that was pointed out to me by the attendant. It was then he started flashing his light in the lense of the reversing camera, in my rear view mirror and screaming down a whistle. Oh, and i don't drive a Toyota Fortuner!