Thai Visas For Us Citizens

I'm so sorry to post this, as it's probably redundant, but I have browsed through many posts here and can't seem to find the answer.

What are the visa options for US citizens who do not have any special qualifications (Thai spouse, employer, retirement age, etc.)?

As I understand it, I can fly into Thailand and be given a 30-day, non-extendable entry permit.

OR, I can apply for a tourist visa at a Thai embassy or consulate before visiting Thailand - I hear this is generally best done in ones home country?

I guess I can get a 60-day single or double-entry tourist visa, which can be extended another 30 days (each entry). So, for example, if I got a 60-day, double entry visa, I could go to Thailand, extend my stay within Thailand (at an immigration office) 30 days, leave Thailand within 90 days of arrival, then come back and do the same thing for a total of about 180 days.

Is this correct?

More importantly, what other options do I have? Can I somehow get a 1-year, multiple-entry visa, good for 90 days each entry? That's what I'd really like. Would this be an "O" visa?

Many thanks!

I guess I can get a 60-day single or double-entry tourist visa, which can be extended another 30 days (each entry). So, for example, if I got a 60-day, double entry visa, I could go to Thailand, extend my stay within Thailand (at an immigration office) 30 days, leave Thailand within 90 days of arrival, then come back and do the same thing for a total of about 180 days.

you can get a Tourist visa from a Thai Embassy in the US, but it sounds like you want to stay 180 days so a Non-Immigrant visa would be better. as for which visa and if you qualify, click on the links for details.

I'm so sorry to post this, as it's probably redundant, but I have browsed through many posts here and can't seem to find the answer.

What are the visa options for US citizens who do not have any special qualifications (Thai spouse, employer, retirement age, etc.)?

As I understand it, I can fly into Thailand and be given a 30-day, non-extendable entry permit.

OR, I can apply for a tourist visa at a Thai embassy or consulate before visiting Thailand - I hear this is generally best done in ones home country?

Is this correct?

More importantly, what other options do I have? Can I somehow get a 1-year, multiple-entry visa, good for 90 days each entry? That's what I'd really like. Would this be an "O" visa?

Many thanks!

You can apply for a Thai visa at any Thai Embassy or Consulate. Your 180 days is fine as described. You need a reason to be granted a multi non-immigrant O visa. Such as retirement, married to a Thai, visiting family and friends. Where are you located and what is your age?

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the replies!

I'm in the US now, and age 39. I'd like to just go and explore Thailand for a while, and maybe find an apartment and see if I can't start some kind of business.

Would I qualify for anything other than a tourist visa? I hear non-immigrant Business visas are getting harder to come by, and anyway I don't have a business yet.

OOOOHHH - I see! Very interesting.

But I don't have a girlfriend in Thailand - will they ask info about "her"?

And what kind of visa would this get me - is it "Non-Immigrant O"? So that would be 1 year, multiple entry, good for 90 day stays, correct?

And would renewal be a problem, the following year, or the year after - would they ask about the "progress" of my relationship?

Finally, I live in California, but could I still use the Houston consulate? Or is the one in Los Angeles just as generous? Otherwise, could I use my brother's Dallas address?

Finally, I live in California, but could I still use the Houston consulate?  Or is the one in Los Angeles just as generous?  Otherwise, could I use my brother's Dallas address?

Using the honorary Thai consul in Houston shouldn't be a problem, even with a California address. Don't bother with the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. Unless something has changed in recent months, they will want to see lots of documentation to support your visa application.

OOOOHHH - I see! Very interesting.

But I don't have a girlfriend in Thailand - will they ask info about "her"?

And what kind of visa would this get me - is it "Non-Immigrant O"? So that would be 1 year, multiple entry, good for 90 day stays, correct?

And would renewal be a problem, the following year, or the year after - would they ask about the "progress" of my relationship?

Finally, I live in California, but could I still use the Houston consulate? Or is the one in Los Angeles just as generous? Otherwise, could I use my brother's Dallas address?

By all means use your brothers address. Write a sweet note telling 'em you wanna travel Thailand and the region with your intended...unlikely to be a problem. Call 'em and ask (713) 229 8733