Http://bandwidth.thaivisa.com/

hereforgood

Beacuse bandwidth in Thailand changes so much. Supply is less than demand.

Just do a few more tests and calculate an average. Note that this is international bandwidth to US, not the domestic bandwidth. Let us know your average.

I will merge this thread with the orginal thread later on.

It's propably csloxinfo or CAT bottleneck. Are domestic surfing also slow, eg accessing websites hosted within Thailand?

Did you make a retest? You should do at least 2 or 3 tests!

http://bandwidth.thaivisa.com

Theres no way I can get 527.50 from a 512 connection Right Monty ?

So retesting from a faulty site won't mean anything, to me anyway

The script is not faulty. You just need to run it several times and use the average data.

Here is my Test 5 minutes ago Great speed but can not be right as I have a 512/256 Connection :o:D

I have IP Star Express 2 512/128 and often get readings from other speed tests over 512.

My understanding is that it comes in lightning fast but they throttle it back to your paid up level.

I keep regular logs of bandwidth and speed and as you can see they DO exceed 512

528.0 66.00 IP STAR November 8, 2005, 3:41 pm

572.0 71.50 IP STAR November 9, 2005, 10:48 am

So that rather blows your LOL out of the water don't it?

I only got below 200 avg.. Is it my 2Mb/512Kb csloxinfo or the server?? :o

I have a friend who works out of Stinkypore for BT.

He tells me that it is common practice to short change the customer on bandwidth.

Before I had Express 2 512/128 I had the old 256 package.

When I upgraded they assured me for 6 weeks that the level had been adjusted up. I was paying for this mind you!!

Being particular about what I pay and what I get I checked and re checked and and the figures showed no change. I was even told that the bandwidth increase is quote "Downstream" yeh right.

After six weeks and an awfull lot of emails they finally admitted in a phone call that yes maybe I had not been upgraded. I logged on during the conversation and Lo the bandwidth meter shot off the scale and throttled back to 500 something.

Just 2 little stories to make you think.

These speedtests are notoriously unacurate if you do just one test.

You do need to take like 5 tests in 10 minuts to get a reasonable accurate average.

Poorfarang, your connection is absolutely normal with it's wild fluctuations!

True does not tell clearly that only your package's theoretical topspeed is 2.5Mbs!

A guaranteed line with 2.5Mbs international speed would cost True around 60000 Baht/month (This is no joke, 25000Baht/month/1Mbps is what our monopolistic CAT charges to the ISP's!!!)

Actually averaging 500kbps for 900 Baht/month is quite good in Thailand, considering the cost of the raw product...

The wild fluctuations you see, is just because your line is shared with so many people(so True can pay CAT and make a bit of profit), so your speed just depends on what those other 100 people you share your line with are doing at that exact time!

Rimmer & Hereforgood, they do indeed throttle speeds just before the data is sent on to you, iPSTAR always had a notorious unreliable throttle system, I've had over 1Mbps on a 256 package quite a few times about 2 years ago, never lasted long though :o

Seems that happens with the Maxnet4Home package also sometimes. (luckily for Hereforgood :D )

The test George put up simply times a download of a file of a certain length. If the script (which is used by thousands of speed test sites) tells you 530kbps, then the file actually came in at that speed!

Edited by monty

Here is my Test 5 minutes ago Great speed but can not be right as I have a 512/256 Connection :o:D

I have IP Star Express 2 512/128 and often get readings from other speed tests over 512.

My understanding is that it comes in lightning fast but they throttle it back to your paid up level.

I keep regular logs of bandwidth and speed and as you can see they DO exceed 512

528.0 66.00 IP STAR November 8, 2005, 3:41 pm

572.0 71.50 IP STAR November 9, 2005, 10:48 am

So that rather blows your LOL out of the water don't it?

Not really as I tested with 2 other sites seconds later and got 377 D/L and 392/D/L so the testing site is flawed I believe.

Monty Remember this Post to the Kid ?

screenhunter253ok.jpg

Edited by hereforgood

I also have seen (once!) a higher reported bandwidth than I actually pay for. Either True screw up occasionally (seems quite likely) or perhaps there is some degree of innacuracy in the way the script calculates the average speed.

Just speculatin'

Are you using a proxy ?

Often going via a proxy, I get exceptionally high tests, one I did and posted here somewhere, was like 8 times the limit of the modem

Yes, the proxy is not throttled, and you will recieve the info about how fast the proxy retrieved the data.

Throttled bandwidth is not the same as an absolute limit like what old dialup modems had. Most cable and dsl connections are throttled, not static. In fact it's impossible to have static dsl speeds as it all depends how far you are from a switch. Cable is more constatant but it does vary some as well. I occasionally get 1mbs faster speeds than I'm alloted (7mbs) but it's due to throttling as my modem will handle tons more data if my isp ever decided to be generous *hint, hint*.

The test is accurate (aside from local proxy considerations) in testing how fast you can retrieve data from Thaivisa. Local sites, or sites in other countries will yield different results.

cv

I only got below 200 avg.. Is it my 2Mb/512Kb csloxinfo or the server?? :D

I have a friend who works out of Stinkypore for BT.

He tells me that it is common practice to short change the customer on bandwidth.

Before I had Express 2 512/128 I had the old 256 package.

When I upgraded they assured me for 6 weeks that the level had been adjusted up. I was paying for this mind you!!

Being particular about what I pay and what I get I checked and re checked and and the figures showed no change. I was even told that the bandwidth increase is quote "Downstream" yeh right.

After six weeks and an awfull lot of emails they finally admitted in a phone call that yes maybe I had not been upgraded. I logged on during the conversation and Lo the bandwidth meter shot off the scale and throttled back to 500 something.

Just 2 little stories to make you think.

Thanks mate! :D I've gotta check that.. :o

There is an interesting service you could provide alongside with this speed test: helping users to chose their ISP.

This site is in french (sorry, but i don't know of any english equivalent):

http://www.grenouille.com/

You can try your prefered online translation tool.

The principle: users register with the name of their ISP and connection type (True 512/256 for example), and download a client (if u ask nicely here they may give you the client source, to decrease the amount of work needed).

Everyday the client download a 500 kB file from a ftp server (can be the server you are running your speed test), it calculates the speed and sends the result to the server. The server makes an average for all users with the same ISP and same type of connection.

Then u can compare... On this website they used meteorological icons to see in a glance how bad is your ISP today.

I am not linked in anyway to this website, but I can help communicate with them if you want.

If you're re-taking the test again by pressing the "Back" button on your browser, the browser pulls the file used for judging the speed from the browsers' cache, and not from the server (obviously much quicker).

To take the test again, close the browser then navigate to the URL.