3G Via Air Cards Versus Bbb Broadband Internet Service.

MMan

I know there is no 'true' 3G service yet, even though various companies are providing service using 3G technology.

I've had a True 3G air card for well over a year. In Bangkok (Sukhumvit area) it works pretty well. In Chiang Mai it was 'ok' until late November. Since then service has been slow and dropped service is a constant problem. During the evening hours you are lucky if you can stay online for 15 minutes without being involuntarily disconnected. Maybe this is related to High Season with all the tourists in town. (I live in the Chang Klan Road area not too far from teh Night Bazaar). Or maybe because of all the publicity around 3G in recent months and True's aggressive marketing to sign up new customers.

Recently I got BBB Broadband service from my condo. It's not super great, but it is definitely better than True Move.

I was thinking about maybe trying DTAC. As they have a smaller subscriber base perhaps service is better than True Move.

Anybody else with similar experiences / suggestions?

The problem with 3G is the complete saturation of the bandwidth by smartphones. Everywhere you go in the Kingdom, be it the BTS, MBK, or the campus at Chula, teenage girls are glued to their phones. It's an all day thing.

Unless you need email service only, 3G is a waste of resources. A direct line is the only answer. Good luck.

The problem with 3G is the complete saturation of the bandwidth by smartphones. Everywhere you go in the Kingdom, be it the BTS, MBK, or the campus at Chula, teenage girls are glued to their phones. It's an all day thing.

Unless you need email service only, 3G is a waste of resources. A direct line is the only answer. Good luck.

The hard part is choosing the Internet Service Provider. An ISP that people rave about in one part of Chiang Mai can be total crap somewhere else. I don't know what works in the Chang Klan area.

I had DTAC before, then switched to True. DTAC was very bad when the 3G bandwidth was used up.

True is a bit better after the 3G alotment was used up, but between 5-7pm it can crawl pretty slowly to the point it's painful. Usually speeds back up around 9ish. (EDGE)

Edited by KRS1