Info About Schools Required!

Hello everyone,

We (my husband, our 2.5 year old son and myself) are planning to relocate to Koi Samui from UK in a few months time. However I am really struggling to find a good English speaking pre school for our son. I have been given contact details for Greenhouse School which is located in Phuket and apparently has a branch in Koh Samui but I have been unable to contact them.

I will be greatful for any info about schools in Koh Samui

Also it will be nice to hear from families with kids who are the same age as our son (as we would really love him to have friends when we move to the island)

thanks

Anna

Hello everyone,

We (my husband, our 2.5 year old son and myself) are planning to relocate to Koi Samui from UK in a few months time. However I am really struggling to find a good English speaking pre school for our son. I have been given contact details for Greenhouse School which is located in Phuket and apparently has a branch in Koh Samui but I have been unable to contact them.

Also it will be nice to hear from families with kids who are the same age as our son (as we would really love him to have friends when we move to the island)

thanks

Anna

I am/was in the same situation. I lived there for about a year and i did not find any school that was even acceptable. Not too many foreigner children to play with. Thai children enough. :o My children are half Thai half dutch. They speak Thai. Now they are 3 and 4 years old. If they not go to a Thai school, which are ok for a young child, their group of friends will be small, unless you find a place where many children live. I haven't found any, and believe me i looked long and hard.

If you are looking for a place to live for a long time, i really suggest you look at other places in Thailand. At least if you value your childs education. International schools are an option (again NOT on Samui) but they are very expensive. Being expensive is no guarantee for a good education, because it is money first, then money, then money and then education. The good ones are the exception. Our children are still young so we still have time to find a good one.I am still searching.

Our idea now is to put them on a good Thai school and arrange for private extra education ourselves.

B.T.W. Did you live there before? Like at least a few months? Compared to the UK it might look like paradise, but i assure you it is just another place with many problems that can get to you quickly.

good luck

Thanks for the reply

Hmm.. Doesn't sound too encouraging..

At the moment we are looking to relocate for a year and see how it goes (this answers your question - we haven't tried living on Koh Samui and therefore are completely open minded about how long we will stay).

As at the moment our son is only two and half - the lack of good schools for older chidlren doesn't worry us, BUT lack of English speaking kids of his age on the island does.

What are the main problems/difficulties that we need to be aware of?

thanks

Anna

Thanks for the reply

Hmm.. Doesn't sound too encouraging..

At the moment we are looking to relocate for a year and see how it goes (this answers your question - we haven't tried living on Koh Samui and therefore are completely open minded about how long we will stay).

As at the moment our son is only two and half - the lack of good schools for older chidlren doesn't worry us, BUT lack of English speaking kids of his age on the island does.

What are the main problems/difficulties that we need to be aware of?

thanks

Anna

:o I promised myself i will not make any too negative posts, i am sure you did some research and read many topics about Samui on this forum.

With a child you want to stay away from the tourist centers. Too many bargirls and their customers.

I don't know what kind of wishes you have. Maybe tell those first.

The different areas in Samui are like night and day.

Hi Anna

Try not to let other peoples opinions discourage you from your exciting move! If you are going to try out Samui for a year or so and see how you like it that is the best way to experience it. There is lots of good and some bad here, but if you stay away from the trouble, surely it will stay away from you.

My husband and I are expecting our first child soon and we plan on having it here and living here for as long as our jobs and work permits will allow us, we really love it. I can't give you any info on schools, but I do see a lot of children everywhere. They are mostly Thai, but many of them have one farang parent and are learning english as well as Thai. All the children seem happy and well adjusted and are well taken care of. Good Luck to you.

There is a preschool on the west coast, north of nathon. It is the group of funny shaped buildings. One is shaped like a boat. You can't miss it. My wife and I toured the place and it is nicer than where our daughter goes back home. I think they teach 50/50 Thai and English. Check it out for sure.

Lovesun,

Thanks for a really nice message. As you say I am sure there are a lot of positive and negative points about living on Koh Samui and Thailand in general but the only way to find out if this life is for us - is to try living there.

Congratulations on expecting a baby! :o

Skipdivils,

Have you got the name of the school? Has it got a website?

The ones I have shortlisted so far are: Greenhouse and Samui Learning Centre - they seem to be the only English speaking ones I can find. We will go and see them on our next tript to Samui

There is a preschool on the west coast, north of nathon. It is the group of funny shaped buildings. One is shaped like a boat. You can't miss it. My wife and I toured the place and it is nicer than where our daughter goes back home. I think they teach 50/50 Thai and English. Check it out for sure.

It's called the Oon Rak Child Development Centre. There is mention of it here,

http://www.oonrakschool.com/index-vac.html

so seems to be an offshoot of the Oon Rak School in Suratthani.

Sorry can't be of more help but at least you've got a contact now.

Would love to hear the outcome of this.

Good luck.

Lovesun,

Thanks for a really nice message. As you say I am sure there are a lot of positive and negative points about living on Koh Samui and Thailand in general but the only way to find out if this life is for us - is to try living there.

Congratulations on expecting a baby! :o

Skipdivils,

Have you got the name of the school? Has it got a website?

The ones I have shortlisted so far are: Greenhouse and Samui Learning Centre - they seem to be the only English speaking ones I can find. We will go and see them on our next tript to Samui

In Ban Rak there's the Open Gates International school 077 427 560.

Edited by limbos

• 1 month later...

I can recommend the Samui Centre of Learning. They have a really nice staff, all qualified, no backpacker teachers and they follow the British national curriculum. My little one is starting with them in september and i'm more than happy with my choice. Hope this helps!!

• 7 months later...

the owner of green house is leaving for bkk so that school future is in limbo, open gates has a permit to teach english but has very few native english speakers with degrees in education and the prices are out of line for what they offer, the lamie learning centre is good and well run but it only takes children to primary age. the school in nathorn that is a subschool from surathani is a good school however it is very costly. where it seems as though having a newborn or a 2 year old gives you plenty of time to worry about a good school the reality is time passes quickly, as parents we get sorted and adjusted to living on an island but are forced to deal with moving because we can not educate our children on the island. I read a post that after school activities like football, etc..are part of the school system here well maybe in the thai schools but not in the internationals. the situation is sad, sad, sad.

Hello everyone,

thanks

Anna

Anna

I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old going to different schols here in Samui. They are half Thai and half NZ and I actually am extremely proud of how they both understand and talk Thai as well as English / Kiwi. While it initially sounds like it would be better to have your son in an English speaking school because he only understands English now, it might actually be better to have him in a Thai speaking pre-school because for a 2.5 year old, they would pick up Thai extremely fast. For that age group there are quite a few on the Island and it depends on where you live as to which might be best. With 2 English speakers at home, the boy will pick up a lot of English, and having 6 hours at a Thai speaking pre-school would mean he would learn a lot of Thai in a year.

My boy goes to a pre-school run by the Catholic nuns (he has only just turned 3 and will go to a different school when the term starts in January). They speak mostly Thai. Have quite a few toys etc to play with, have an air-conditioned room for the kids to sleep in, provide food, shower them 2 - 3 times a day, teach them to clean their teeth, seem to be very good with the kids and basically let them do what 2 and 3 year olds should be doing - play mostly with a little bit of learning thrown in. All for a monthly cost of THB2,500.

You will aslo find at these pre-schools a good mix of Samui society. There will be pure Thais, mixes and pure farangs - again a great education for a kid.

To me the best option for you is to decide where you are going to live and then look around nearby, and don't be put off by the language as it might be a good thing. I certainly wish I had the opportunity to learn Thai at a young age, the tones are so much harder for adults but a youngster seems to take to them with ease.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
Hello everyone,

thanks

Anna

hi anna,

how is your experience so far on the island and where did you enrol your son. we are planning to relocate as well with our 4 year old daughter. any feedback that you can provide me with

Anna,

My son (german-thai, almost 9 y.) is going to Wat Jeang Temple School in Nathon, it is a pretty tough place but he is enjoying school and doing very well in the tests. St. Joseph school doesnt have a good reputation, so I didnt send him there. I teach him german reading at home.

My daughters (3 and 4) are going to the new kindergarten southend of Nathon. It is a very good place, she is learning both alphabets and the kids got well educated.

My children are the only farangs in school/kindergarten, never problems about.

My personal advice:

Send your daughter to a good thai kindergarten, she will learn thai fast and she will gain the advantages of thai culture.

Cheers from nathon,

Claude

Can somebody give an overwiew about "interational schools" on Samui, websites and their prices per year?

Can somebody give an overwiew about "interational schools" on Samui, websites and their prices per year?

That is an easy question.

Answer: None.

My advice, as soon as you kids really have to start learning (6 years and older), and with that i mean another system than root learning, your only option is to leave Samui and settle in Chonburi or Bangkok. And be prepared to bring a big bundle of money. Or return back home and enjoy free or cheap real education. Once the kids are on their own come back for a well deserved retirement. In the meantime, a few holidays to Thailand will be nice.

Ever wonder why Thai people with some money send their children abroad?

And for anyone wondering why i left Thailand. Main reason, Childrens education! Could not find anything even approaching education levels in the western world. Even not for high prices (50000 - 150000 baht per month!!)

Do your children a favor! Either be able to tutor your child privately, or leave Thailand.

I meant there is no such thing as an international school on Samui.

There was at least one attempt but it didn't go through.

For those your best changes are in Bangkok and the Chonburi (Pattaya) area. Those areas have a lot of expats with expat packages that can afford a good school. Still no match for a public school in a western country.

Anna

Can't say enough for the impression of Samui learning based in Lamai. My son started today so i'll let you know what he thinks!!! All teachers are qualified and from the UK nice set up with after school activities available. Reasonable priced in comparison to some of the other schools. Don't let the moaning put you off it is an unbelievable place to bring up children my son came here when he was 3 months old, he's now fluent in Thai and there are plenty of opportunities for meeting children of a similar age, not to mention the infactuation Thai's have with children, especially european babies. Just think when your little angel when finishes the school can head down to the beach and go for a swim instead of having to stay indoors because it's too cold or raining!! You'll love it!! feel free to get in contact if you or your partner have any questions about living here on samui, I've been a resident for the last 6 years so if I can be of any help let me know. [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

thanks

Hello Anna,

I know of an excellent Internation School In Koh Samui, it was Greenhouse but now its Bluewater International School, my neighbours have two children at this school, it is all taught in English and they follow the National British Curriculum, they have just purchased a new site for their school and will move to the new site in September. I have looked on their website which will give you all the details you need, but this excellent school which has fully qualified teachers, and not like some of the islands schools who only have TEFL teacher is the talk of the town as all parents and children are happy with the school. WWW.bluewatersamui.com.

Kind Regards Margaret.

Anna

That is an easy question.

Answer: None.

My advice, as soon as you kids really have to start learning (6 years and older), and with that i mean another system than root learning, your only option is to leave Samui and settle in Chonburi or Bangkok. And be prepared to bring a big bundle of money. Or return back home and enjoy free or cheap real education. Once the kids are on their own come back for a well deserved retirement. In the meantime, a few holidays to Thailand will be nice.

Ever wonder why Thai people with some money send their children abroad?

And for anyone wondering why i left Thailand. Main reason, Childrens education! Could not find anything even approaching education levels in the western world. Even not for high prices (50000 - 150000 baht per month!!)

Do your children a favor! Either be able to tutor your child privately, or leave Thailand.

Khun Jean,with all due respect you have been away from the island for a long time now.So before you comment along your famous lines of Samui bashing, please do your homework.As for your reason for leaving Samui well the story changes every time,from people burning rubbish on the beach, to being muscled out of business & so on.Now this is the first time I hear you talk about yor kids education.As the lat poster stated there is a school on Samui,albeit maybe not to your high all mighty standards by all means, but there is an answer for local people.

Edited by Rooo

Anna,

My son (german-thai, almost 9 y.) is going to Wat Jeang Temple School in Nathon, it is a pretty tough place but he is enjoying school and doing very well in the tests. St. Joseph school doesnt have a good reputation, so I didnt send him there. I teach him german reading at home.

My daughters (3 and 4) are going to the new kindergarten southend of Nathon. It is a very good place, she is learning both alphabets and the kids got well educated.

My children are the only farangs in school/kindergarten, never problems about.

My personal advice:

Send your daughter to a good thai kindergarten, she will learn thai fast and she will gain the advantages of thai culture.

Cheers from nathon,

Claude

Claude,with your experience with the schools here for different age groups,could you advise on a good kindergarten.(what age would the child start at one?)

Claude,with your experience with the schools here for different age groups,could you advise on a good kindergarten.(what age would the child start at one?)

I only know Lipa Noi Kindergarten just after the bridge, I have no other experience. They start tomorrow, the children in the group are 3 years. When they are 4 years, they have to move to Wat Jeang Kindergarten.

PIKE, thanx for your charming comments about my person in another topic!