Ingnorance Can Be Bliss - Brush With Death

CharlieH

Sorry to those snake lovers about cutting its head off, but in "my opinion" any snake that can can kill a human should be killed on sight.

If you want to preserve them keep them in a reserve where they dont endanger lives. I dont take any chances.

Its NOT an aggressive snake it actually eats OTHER snakes its pretty laid back so you have just increased the local population of other snakes ( well done)

Will you be beheading all the mosquitoes around by you too as they probably kill many more people?

The post starts "ignorance is bliss"hmmmmmmmmm it really makes you wonder.

Why dont you read a bit more about this and other snakes and become less ignorant,, Cobras also eat other snakes so killing a cobra really increases the local snake population., Most snakes arent venomous

• Like 1

It's such a shame to kill snakes, but I have to say I understand why people do. The real point to me is that you are much more likely to get a bite trying to kill a snake than leaving it alone. It's worth trying to get a basic understanding of the most common ones around because many are harmless and can be left safely to deal with your vermin,

• Like 2

I like snakes. I played with them as a child and got used to their movements. I'm not afraid of venomous snakes and I've picked up cobras, kraits, rattlers and many non-venomous snakes. I know all venomous snakes have a place in the environment, but that is NOT in someone's back yard or close to areas where children play. If possible I will move a snake to a more appropriate location. The loss of the occasional snake is not going to hurt the environment. Unfortunately, anything that slithers, slides, hops, jumps, walks, runs, flies or swims gets eaten in Asia. Thailand is not user friendly for any beast that is even remotely edible.

• Like 2

Sorry to those snake lovers about cutting its head off, but in "my opinion" any snake that can can kill a human should be killed on sight.

If you want to preserve them keep them in a reserve where they dont endanger lives. I dont take any chances.

alas you already stated it was dead before you knew what it was

Shame on you OP...

If you had identified it first and had a reason to lop it's head off, maybe !

But killing it just because it is a snake ??

Going on that thinking, maybe start popping off every drunk driver you see, mini bus driver, VIP coach driver, basically anything on the road near you. More chance of one of them killing you than a snake :)

• Like 2

Shame on you OP...

If you had identified it first and had a reason to lop it's head off, maybe !

But killing it just because it is a snake ??

Going on that thinking, maybe start popping off every drunk driver you see, mini bus driver, VIP coach driver, basically anything on the road near you. More chance of one of them killing you than a snake smile.png

Not if they are already in my house or back garden.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

See lot's of snakes out in the rural land scape, you get used to them. As for killing it, well every situation is different. Perhaps a little knowledge about the various types of critters you will see out here is the first thing you can do. Most creepy crawlies are not dangerous but some can be.

For me snakes no problem but I dislike centipede's. We see them frequently and nothing makes the old half comatose grandmother jump up on her chair than one of these slithering toward you. Even the dogs run for the hills...but again they are not bad grilled!

Ridiculous for people to criticize him for killing something that is poisonous and on his property. Doesn't matter if it rarely attacks humans, it still could if someone were to accidently step on it or scare it.

You suggest he moves it? Thats a far more dangerous option. Some of you may be adept at moving a poisonous snake, but to expect everyone else to be able to safely do it is preposterous.

You suggest he leaves it be? Well it may take a liking to the area around his property and again he or a loved one or pet could accidently disturb it and perhaps be bit (yes i know it doesn't seek humans, but it still has a defense mechanism). Why take that risk?

And this talk about "disturbing the balance of the ecosystem". Environmentalist bull****. Are we humans not part of the ecosystem? Many animals, plants and insects are known to violently defend their territory and they don't always eat what they kill; death and killing are part of the "natural balance".

There is a difference between the OP's case where he had a chance encounter with an unwanted intruder on his property and grotesque wanton killing e.g. dolphins, sharks, the shooting of american bison by people on trains to the point of extinction..etc. The latter cases are people seeking out the animals and then killing more than could be deemed "natural".

What happened to the OP was a random, natural encounter, and his move to kill the snake could indeed be considered natural as well since his knowledge of the snake before further reading up on it, was that it could be a threat. In the animal kingdom, especially for those on the upper-end of the food chain, threats are usually dealt with violently.

Now if he was a snake aficionado like some of you (im not saying thats bad at all btw, we all have our differences) then the "natural" course of things upon the encounter would be entirely different. One would say that it would "unnatural" for a snake aficionado to kill a snake that they could easily remove/move.

Finally, the people comparing killing the snake to killing humans...are insane.

More ignorance then "poisonous" what's he doing eating it?

Make a snake stick like mine and you can remove them or kill them. Your choice. My street has young children in every house. I seem to only get cobras in my yard, and always a battle with my dog, who sometimes gets a trip to the vet for anti-venom IV's. For me, the choice to kill them is easy and it is my choice. Plenty of them around my place hence my wildlife control program. So far no babies bitten.

post-49171-0-13545600-1361867792_thumb.j

Edited by bunta71
  • Like 1

I've been face to face with most and have learned a few things. 1. If it rears up it can't jump - only fall to the distance it stands. 2. It can only strike to the maximum of its fold. 3. I only fear standing on the blighter or being caught by surprise. Other than that they're wonderful creatures and really don't want a confrontation any less than I do.

Unless you come across one of these little creatures....................

post-76988-0-71885600-1361867660_thumb.j

This is the Indochinese spitting cobra, and is pinpoint accurate up to about six feet. If it starts spraying at the extent of its strike, watch your eyes as this is where they wil aim...............thumbsup.gif

Up to 5 different types of cobra can spit (Thailand) but this is the master.

Edit: It does say that the range of the spit is up to three meters in the clip, but the accuracy is diminished at that sort of range.

Edited by chrisinth

Just for those spouting absolute nonsense and conjecture. The snake was brought to my attention by the dog, who alerted me to its presence, the snake when I investgated was within 15ft of a 4yr olds room, so yes to me it presented a clear and present danger and was dealt with accordingly and i would do exactly the same again.

I was not about to have a conversation or debate with it , my instinct was to protect the family and remove the danger.

Just for information, the house and area is surrounded by a 2m high solid wall and itis highly unusual to see any snakes inside the area, in fact about 1 a year if that, which we presume came under the entrance gate and being enclosed by the perimeter wall couldnt get back out as easily.

Kblaze: thank you for an excellent post and contribution

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Ridiculous for people to criticize him for killing something that is poisonous and on his property. Doesn't matter if it rarely attacks humans, it still could if someone were to accidently step on it or scare it.

You suggest he moves it? Thats a far more dangerous option. Some of you may be adept at moving a poisonous snake, but to expect everyone else to be able to safely do it is preposterous.

You suggest he leaves it be? Well it may take a liking to the area around his property and again he or a loved one or pet could accidently disturb it and perhaps be bit (yes i know it doesn't seek humans, but it still has a defense mechanism). Why take that risk?

And this talk about "disturbing the balance of the ecosystem". Environmentalist bull****. Are we humans not part of the ecosystem? Many animals, plants and insects are known to violently defend their territory and they don't always eat what they kill; death and killing are part of the "natural balance".

There is a difference between the OP's case where he had a chance encounter with an unwanted intruder on his property and grotesque wanton killing e.g. dolphins, sharks, the shooting of american bison by people on trains to the point of extinction..etc. The latter cases are people seeking out the animals and then killing more than could be deemed "natural".

What happened to the OP was a random, natural encounter, and his move to kill the snake could indeed be considered natural as well since his knowledge of the snake before further reading up on it, was that it could be a threat. In the animal kingdom, especially for those on the upper-end of the food chain, threats are usually dealt with violently.

Now if he was a snake aficionado like some of you (im not saying thats bad at all btw, we all have our differences) then the "natural" course of things upon the encounter would be entirely different. One would say that it would "unnatural" for a snake aficionado to kill a snake that they could easily remove/move.

Finally, the people comparing killing the snake to killing humans...are insane.

I compared it to killing humans.. I was being facetious, hence the silly little smiley face !

Funny how people who post these threads always bring a child into the equation in a later post though...

Maybe mention all the facts first and then you wouldn't get slammed quite as much by the snake huggers :)