1,500 Turn Up To Phuket ‘Talent’ Auditions

Lite Beer

1,500 turn up to Phuket ‘Talent’ auditions
Nattha Thepbamrung

1361772683_1.jpg

PHUKET: Around 1,500 people from Phuket and all over Thailand mobbed the Millennium Hotel in Patong’s Jungceylon complex on Saturday and Sunday (February 23-24) for the auditions for Season 3 of the Thailand’s Got Talent television talent contest.

Around 1,500 hopefuls attended the auditions for season 3 of Thailand's Got Talent.
Pisate Panichakul, Creative Group Head and Producer with Workpoint Entertainment – which produces the show – told The Phuket News that the production team had already held auditions in Chiang Mai, Udon Thani and Bangkok, with Phuket being the last stop.

“There were 3,000 applicants in Udon Thani, 3,000 in Chiang Mai, and around 5,000 in Bangkok.” In Phuket 1,500 people turned up.

From here the team were due to head back to Bangkok to whittle down all the acts countrywide to 400, who will go into the Audition Round at the Aksra Theater, the first round to be broadcast, Mr Pisate explained.

Despite the mob at the Jungceylon auditions, he said that the south of Thailand always has the smallest number of candidates. “But,” he added, “they are always full of quality.

“There is an identity in each region. In the south, people have a lot of talent, especially in music, and also a very strong loyalty to their homeland.

“They are proud to show their local culture – last year, for example, we had a Likay Hulu [a Southern musical folk song] which obviously showed the southern signature.

“Many Southern people also have strong concerns about the violence in the deep south and want to do a show for that.”

Last year, the team went to Haad Yai to audition acts in the south but this year, the team chose Phuket because, Mr Pisate said, he believes Phuket’s got talent.

Last year, two Phuket-based talents, singer Gig and performance artist Romadon, made it into the final 12 in the competition, though neither won the B5 million first prize.

“There are many entertainment complexes in Phuket as we can see: Siam Niramit, Phuket Fantasea and the lady-boy shows. Also, there are many good music people here. I did a survey in the waiting room and found many of them can play very well,” he said.

He said that Phuket is a beautiful, chic city with beautiful nature and a mix of nationalities, giving him attractive footage to add to the show.

The Phuket News spoke with some of the hopefuls waiting to show off their talent.

Jessy James Seymour, a cute six-year-old Thai-American boy living in Phuket, started skateboarding when he was two years old and can now put on an exciting show.

Tiratchakarn Tantaweewong, Jessy’s mother, said proudly, “He has been skateboarding since he was two – he learned by himself and he really enjoys it.

“He used to say when he was very young, that he would fall when he walked but never when he was on a skateboard. He loves showing his talent in front of a crowd.”

Satit Jenleuy, 29, from Nakorn Ratchsima, arrived dressed in unique eye-catching clothes – his “Asian costume” combining Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Burmese and Laotian styles.

“I will do contemporary art dance,” said Mr Satit, who has a drama degree and is now a Thai and English teacher in Bangkok. “This will be the first time that I have done this show in public.”

Not far from Mr Satit sat a man wearing Indian-inspired clothing and calling himself “Doti Bollywood”. His real name is Satharathon Kong-Iw, 33, a Phuket hotel worker who does Bollywood dancing as a hobby.

“I came here just because I want to show my dance. I love Indian dance and have done it for long time. Today I will do the international Indian dance,” he said.

“I think this stage is wide open for people who have many different kinds of talents to show off.”

Waiting next to him was Prapan Kongmuan, 47, from Phuket, who also said that he just wants to show people what he can do.

“I have played football for a very long time and I like juggling the ball with my feet,” Mr Prapan explained.

Last week, he said, he had juggled a ball all the way up to the Big Buddha. He said that his show will consist of him juggling the ball while standing on a 45-gallon oil drum – with a snake around his neck.

This year’s overall winner of of Thailand’s Got Talent will win B10 million cash plus a luxury car and a condominium. Season 3 will start in June, airing every Sunday at 5.45pm on Thai TV Channel 3.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/1-500-turn-up-to-phuket-%E0%B9%82%E2%82%AC%C2%98talent%E0%B9%82%E2%82%AC%C2%99-auditions-37332.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-02-25

Yep Thailand's got talent alright.

Unfortunately, so has Britain:

You have not only made my day but my week. Had to renew the tissue box I laughed so much. Thank you. I don't think the US got talent can come even close to this.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

and how many of the nearly 15K get through, about 10?

Having trouble reading my friend? whistling.gif

"From here the team were due to head back to Bangkok to whittle down all the acts countrywide to 400, who will go into the Audition Round at the Aksra Theater, the first round to be broadcast, Mr Pisate explained."

and how many of the nearly 15K get through, about 10?

Having trouble reading my friend? whistling.gif

"From here the team were due to head back to Bangkok to whittle down all the acts countrywide to 400, who will go into the Audition Round at the Aksra Theater, the first round to be broadcast, Mr Pisate explained."

I realise that but how many get on the show? It won't be 400